User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #19171
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,400
Great job jocflier! You must feel so much better, having lost that much weight! I've never had to lose a lot of weight, but the mental and physical energy gained from riding is worth it. Keep up the good work! Going to get the first road ride of the year in in the next week or so...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #19172
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

HAHA! I'm no fly weight, always been over 180 and usually at 200. I raced as an expert but now it is Vet Open for any expert over 35 unless you race a single speed then you have to race the young guys because there aren't enough old guys running one gear. You also have to remember I've been doing the mtb thing since the very 1st production bikes came out in the early 80's. Mine was a Puch with welded bars to a triangle welded to the quill. Back then there was no XT or XTR and things weren't built well enough to handle a guy who raced his mtb like it was a KTM250. Those same bikes also spent time doing trials, dual slalom and cruiser class at the BMX track.
Ross Mt Hood 1983, "Vector bars", 5 speed freewheel, no index nothing, precarious cantilever brakes, Believe me I fix does parts so many, many times so I can keep it running, bald tires (I learn a lot about how to get traction in the dirt with this tires) at one time I have a inner tube with 33 patches since the right inner tubes where not available.

Took the "rods" out of the derailleurs to replace the parallel plates, build my own freewheels out of road bike cogs so I can keep the tall gearing on the big sprockets, flip and file the chainring so they last longer, you name it
Quote:

Seems like in the past 5 or 6 years thing have come a long way as far as reliability goes for me, especially since the quality wheel builders started to weld the seams of their rims!
I have build about 250 wheels and I'm proud to say most of them still roll really well (I use to encounter old costumers from time to time that thanks me about the strong wheels even with aluminum nipples)

Yes I'm pretty slow, it take me about 50 maybe 60 minutes to make one but they last a long time, In fact I find wheel building to be very "Zen" is actually one of the few moments when this bussy brain is calm.

In any case good quality welded rims with Eyelets make all the difference, even on disc brake wheels
Quote:
There is a fellow Columbian transplanted hear to Ohio that I get to moto ride with on occasion, his user name is Miguez, super nice guy, lots of desire to race ralleys.
Well we have about 40millon people so I'm sure I don't know him but is always nice to find out about another "Colombian Motoneto"
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #19173
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
jocflier
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #19174
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
Thank you everyone. It's coming along.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #19175
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Thank you everyone. It's coming along.
There was an very interesting read (which I can't find right now) that was about a gentleman who weighed in at nearly 500 pounds. Had a custom bike made and rode it all off. The story wasn't about a perfect weight loss, the gent suffered miserably mentally and physically at 1st but then as the weigh shed, he became more obsessed and found a whole new life. Wish I could find the blasted link!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #19176
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Ricardo, you have more patients than I do, I do build wheels and have built them for others but I'm not a pro at it.

5 speed freewheels and friction shifters? yes, I remember those like it was yesterday, in fact, I still have a 6 speed on my old Motobecane I bought back in the early eighties that I ride on occasion.

If anyone who likes vintage road bikes, I have 4 sets of Suntour Symetric downtube shifters. Your bike has to have a specific diameter downtube and when you shift the rear derailer, the left one moves to keep the front derailer trimmed and centered over the chain.

Sad part is, up til a couple years ago, I was using a vintage disc wheel in TT's so I could change the axle and replace the freewheel with a cog for racing the track bike classes.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #19177
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
Oh, I've suffered. Thank God for Vicodin. Hopefully you can find the link.

Quote:
There was an very interesting read (which I can't find right now) that was about a gentleman who weighed in at nearly 500 pounds. Had a custom bike made and rode it all off. The story wasn't about a perfect weight loss, the gent suffered miserably mentally and physically at 1st but then as the weigh shed, he became more obsessed and found a whole new life. Wish I could find the blasted link!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #19178
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,570
Watching American Flyers.

I've ridden those roads!

How nifty is that?!

M
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #19179
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Ricardo, you have more patients than I do, I do build wheels and have built them for others but I'm not a pro at it.
Man try building a BMW GS wheel if you want to talk about "Patience", Fuck me all that "Cross spoke" thing makes you nuts, I build five of them, three 21" one 19" and one rear but For sure I will leave it to Woody and his team for the next one.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #19180
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I've ridden those roads!

How nifty is that?!

M
I love that movie so much, Even if I did not like bicycles i'm sure i will love it just the same
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #19181
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

I FOUND IT!!! Only took a half hour of googling all kinds of phrases and words...

I lost 320 pounds bike riding

Coincidently found these Also...

Mountainbike Review Clydesdale Forum

and...

I was morbidly obese then I rediscovered cycling

Ricardo, I've only done 3 moto wheels, all dirt bikes, no beemers, all had rims re-laced, all survived, I think

Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #19182
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Oh, I've suffered. Thank God for Vicodin. Hopefully you can find the link.
If I may throw out...Don't underestimate how many pounds of muscle you gain when losing 30lbs from riding a bike. I am 50ish pounds over weight, and after a few years of hard riding, I have lost almost no weight, but I have lost inches around my waist, and gained a lot of muscle in my legs, ETC.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #19183
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
If I may throw out...Don't underestimate how many pounds of muscle you gain when losing 30lbs from riding a bike. I am 50ish pounds over weight, and after a few years of hard riding, I have lost almost no weight, but I have lost inches around my waist, and gained a lot of muscle in my legs, ETC.
You are correct! I tried to explain that to an old girlfriend who had been working out for about 2 or more months. She called me crying that all that work and only lost 1 pound. I asked her how her clothes fit and she had dropped like 2 or 3 sizes. It took a while to convince her muscle weighed more than fat. When you go from near career couch potato to cyclist and gym freek, things happen! She went from being soft and slightly padded to lean and strong.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #19184
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,765
Quote:
You are correct! I tried to explain that to an old girlfriend who had been working out for about 2 or more months. She called me crying that all that work and only lost 1 pound. I asked her how her clothes fit and she had dropped like 2 or 3 sizes. It took a while to convince her muscle weighed more than fat. When you go from near career couch potato to cyclist and gym freek, things happen! She went from being soft and slightly padded to lean and strong.
I took up bike riding to get fit (especially for riding dirt bikes - at first I was pooped after just 2 or 3 hours) and I was obsessive about weighing myself. It's about the worst thing you can do IMHO when trying to lose weight and get fit. I haven't weighed myself in a couple years now - every now again I catch myself as I step onto the scales but I stop myself since it just isn't worth it. I could give a shit how much I weigh - I'll never be uber-slim and that's just fine, I have accepted that, I just want to ride bikes and be able to do it for longer.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #19185
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I've ridden those roads!

How nifty is that?!

M
Cool. Thanks for the memory jog as I haven't watched it in many years. Just put it in the Netflix queue. Sent you a PM re: a bike for sale.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: