Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #19186
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
All these posts about bicycles and equipment - I'd love to hear of your goals for bicycling.
I want to find a new Frame for each of the 37 "Homeless" Bottombrackets I have in my shop...

Just Kidding....

I want to ride more and more to the point I can go to Moab for a few days and be able to the whole time as oppose to REST at the Tent because I'm to weak and tired
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #19187
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Sweet bike

too much for you old fella.

Old?

I'm using my dad's line. Its the last bicycle I'll ever need.

He said that about a new car. Three new cars ago.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #19188
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
I want to find a new Frame for each of the 37 "Homeless" Bottombrackets I have in my shop...
Just Kidding....

I want to ride more and more to the point I can go to Moab for a few days and be able to the whole time as oppose to REST at the Tent because I'm to weak and tired
Actually, from what I've seen of your past, I wouldn't put it past you!

I'm up to 7: one each steel, Ti, Al, and CF with duplicates in AL. Soon to be duplicates in CF too. C'mon Jamis Xenith SL!!

Course, I still need a track bike cause I hear rumors of one in Richmond, VA, as well as a road-based fixed gear cause track bikes don't make good road bikes. Maybe something like the Casseroll? Good to get back and forth to work on... I still don't have either a FS mtn bike OR a 29er... The list can get pretty friggen long pretty friggen quickly.

M
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #19189
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post

Turd bike indeed. But it's ok - when I show up the usual crop of roadies, they won't be pissed that they got passed by a dude on a fixie - they'll be pissed that they got passed by a dude on a BLACK fixie. It's a win-win for me - because even if they destroy me, they'll be like 'meh - of course the dude's slow, his bike's black'.

But my orange tri-bike is fast fast fast - way faster than my first road bike, which was a blue Cannondale. Never mind that the top tube was about half the length it needed to be for me to be comfy - the real reason I sold it is because it's blue, and therefore it sucks. The proof is that I'm a lot faster on my brand-new orange tri bike (after years of training) than on my old blue road bike (when I was just getting started). The only significant difference? The color of the paint - duh

In all seriousness, though - congrats, Mercury! And remember - if you ever feel like your new bike needs an upgrade, there's always this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
Bicycle movie recommendation

The Triplets of Belleville is a Animated French film, really fun and pretty and you can find the DVD at netflix if you like
I couldn't get through it; had to pull the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I still don't have either a FS mtn bike OR a 29er...
For where you live, you're really missing out on great MTB riding.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #19190
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I am down to three, a Cervelo RS, a Niner RIP nine, and my old BMXer, a vitage Waterford filet brazed Schwinn Sting. I am seriously looking at a new 29er hard tail. Torn between a Karate Monkey, and a Salsa. I want to run it as a single speed but I would also like to be able to switch it back incase my knees object. I would love to go to Moab this year but I dont think I am going to make it. Last year we did a week, first few days at Fruita, and finished it off at Moab. Fruita was awesome!
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #19191
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post

Turd bike indeed. But it's ok - when I show up the usual crop of roadies, they won't be pissed that they got passed by a dude on a fixie - they'll be pissed that they got passed by a dude on a BLACK fixie. It's a win-win for me - because even if they destroy me, they'll be like 'meh - of course the dude's slow, his bike's black'.

But my orange tri-bike is fast fast fast - way faster than my first road bike, which was a blue Cannondale. Never mind that the top tube was about half the length it needed to be for me to be comfy - the real reason I sold it is because it's blue, and therefore it sucks. The proof is that I'm a lot faster on my brand-new orange tri bike (after years of training) than on my old blue road bike (when I was just getting started). The only significant difference? The color of the paint - duh

In all seriousness, though - congrats, Mercury! And remember - if you ever feel like your new bike needs an upgrade, there's always this:

Thanks....I think
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #19192
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,310
Rain Rain go away, come back when I'm WORKING!!!!

2 hours of rollers SUCK!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #19193
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratharr View Post
I signed up for the Triple Bypass West ride this year. So I have a lot of training to do. I have a bit over 1k so far this year. So far averaging about 6hrs. a week. I need to ramp it up to 10-12 to follow my training plan. Planning on a 3-4 hr. ride tomorrow, it is supposed to be nice here.
Excellent. I have a long ways to go before I'm ready for something like that. While poking around the dusty corners of the internet for suggestions on long-distance endurance, I found two articles that you might enjoy.

http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/endurancepathP2.html
http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/fivemistakes.html

Based on these articles, I suspect I'll change my focus and not worry so much about multiple hours on the bike. Instead, I'll work on speedwork and make the time that I do ride really count. I think it'll make my randos faster / easier and allow me to continue with a life outside of cycling.

I worked on the recumbent last night - adjusting the seat a little more, changed out a cable and shortened the chain by a few links. I had some issues with shifting and also wanted to take a little bend out of my legs. I also lowered the back of the seat.

Today's focus will be a nice little warm-up followed by intervals on a hill near my house. This hill is especially nice - steep with little-to-no traffic. I can work hard going uphill and coast back down slowly during the rest phase. Reverse and go back up again. Repeat.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #19194
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Old?

I'm using my dad's line. Its the last bicycle I'll ever need.

He said that about a new car. Three new cars ago.
Good for him! I almost never use the "last bike" line. I think I'll start using "N +1" instead. There's always another bike out there w/ my name on it.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #19195
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

I couldn't get through it; had to pull the plug.
Really....

I watch it at least five times at the movie theaters (with different girlfriends) and at least the same amount on DVD
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #19196
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Well, like inmate mud, "have fun!"

That and continue to bicycle the 8mi rt to work daily as I have all but 4 times in the last 4 yrs.

Been riding a Surly Pugsley a lot during the winters and finally decided to upgrade to a Fatback. Shed about 8lbs compared to my 'ol Pugs! Mark H.

Sweet Bike! Is that the Speedway showroom?

Also, 8 lbs lighter than a Pugs? I know the FatBack frame is lighter, but not that much. Large Marges vs Umas? What other component differences?

I ask because a riding buddy of mine caught the uberfatty disease from me, and is trying to nab a Pugsley complete.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #19197
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Actually, from what I've seen of your past, I wouldn't put it past you!
Man you are totally right, I did start a bike do to a very specific Bottom bracket i have (146mm wide 100mm shell) as well as I start bikes, to to a set of brakes (One pair not even a complete set), Headsets, saddles, seatpost, well you get the idea, But I'm "Better" now, at least I hope I'm
Quote:

I'm up to 7: one each steel, Ti, Al, and CF with duplicates in AL. Soon to be duplicates in CF too. C'mon Jamis Xenith SL!!
I'm more of the "Each material has a Purpose" Approach, but I can understand you way too

Quote:

Course, I still need a track bike cause I hear rumors of one in Richmond, VA, as well as a road-based fixed gear cause track bikes don't make good road bikes. Maybe something like the Casseroll? Good to get back and forth to work on...
Maybe you need to take a weekend trip to san francsico, where "Fixies" are "Passe" and they have been replace with "Fake" touring bikes or like a friend will say "Rack is the new Track" in any case is hundreds of really super fancy bikes for sale since now they are UnCool

Quote:
I still don't have either a FS mtn bike OR a 29er... The list can get pretty friggen long pretty friggen quickly.

M
I'm afraid of Liking the 29er's, in fact I know I will like them better than the 26' bikes, so on purpose I never got one, same as the "Eggbeater" Pedals, I know they are better than SPD's, but replacing 30pairs of pedals get kind of expensive in a hurry
Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #19198
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
BMX? What the hell is that.

Actually, I had one of each level of Mongoose, at one time or 'nother. I raced all around central IL and my GF was a national-level BMX racer. I hadn't been on a 20", since 1986. I joked to the LBS about getting another. They responded "You're not a kid anymore". OK, then.

Oh yeah, I dig the Model A. It's too bad you don't live closer to me. There's a few guys here that are really into 'em and have a ton of knowledge and parts. I'd like to have one, someday. That's the only car that I really, really want.
I have one of these that I ride on dirt tracks (not mine). VERY fun! Kind of a big kids BMX bike.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #19199
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:

Quote:
triplets of bellville
I couldn't get through it; had to pull the plug..

really? I loved that movie. whimsical, great vintage style tunes, and a cute story.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #19200
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So did I tell y'all that I screwed up my buddy's Alpha Q fork? If I didn't, I did. Effed it up real good. As in not 'rideable or fixable.' So I'm perusing CL in the DC area and run across this Airborne Ti bike with...

...and Alpha Q fork on it!

Guess who's gonna go to DC tomorrow and grab a frame and fork?

Plan is to sell off the frame and recoup some of the $$. Then I catch myself thinking 'hmmmm I haven't had a Ti bike in a while now...' and 'I can pull the 105 off the Allez...' As well as 'I'll have one of each: steel, AL, Ti, and carbon if I keep the Airborne...'

So I'll prolly be up to 7 bikes/frames here shortly.

M
I've always wanted to try Ti.
What size is the frame?
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: