User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #19186
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
I agree with everything said about the weight. Gone from a 44 to a 40 in pants size. What I am learning now is about how to ear right, when to take a break when riding, ect. Would like to get down below the max frame weight load of the manufacture of my bike.

Also, thank for the links Mgorman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I took up bike riding to get fit (especially for riding dirt bikes - at first I was pooped after just 2 or 3 hours) and I was obsessive about weighing myself. It's about the worst thing you can do IMHO when trying to lose weight and get fit. I haven't weighed myself in a couple years now - every now again I catch myself as I step onto the scales but I stop myself since it just isn't worth it. I could give a shit how much I weigh - I'll never be uber-slim and that's just fine, I have accepted that, I just want to ride bikes and be able to do it for longer.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #19187
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,569
I would have been riding as an extra for that film, if I had not been contracted to BMW to ride the motorcycle for the Coors Classic.
But, we got to help host the premier in Denver.

Bits of trivia:
The cycling shorts Costner wore had to be taken in his legs were so skinny.
He fell on the monument and broke his collar bone.

The extras made him ride "The Wall" many, many times after he was overheard bad-mouthing cyclists.

After the descent off the monument he had a new opinion of tough.

Part of the climb they did where the "Russian" is pushing Costner's character is actually downhill on the pass from Bergen park to Mount Evans.

When the helicopter takes off above the race from the Coors brewery the BMW motorcycle crew is a very tiny red blob in the lower left corner of the screen, or was. I was kneeling beside a motorcycle re-tightening a clamp on a leaking fuel line. We were riding pre-production 1984 K-model BMW's. All of the K-bikes overheated on the mountain passes, except mine. No idea why.
The bike race had a fuel contract with 7-Eleven who sold gas with alcohol in it. This stuff ate all of the rubber in the fuel systems, leading to gummed up works in every bike.
Most of the stores would not accept the fuel cards we had so I stopped going there.

My daughter, (the lawyer), and the bike I rode for the 1984 Coors Classic, where the movie was filmed. They also spent a lot of time filming before and after the race lots and lots up on the Morgul-Bismark course.
13 miles of near perfect training grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Watching American Flyers.

I've ridden those roads!

How nifty is that?!

M
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #19188
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,947
Mercury264...

I use the notches in my belt to remind me that I need to pedal more, eat less! which remionds me, I'm up a notch over the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I would have been riding as an extra for that film, if I had not been contracted to BMW to ride the motorcycle for the Coors Classic.

Now that is a dream job, riding motorcycles for a living, at a bicycle race no less! I ride moto at our clubs race up here in Orrville and have at a couple other races just for the ride. This past summer we had an official moto-ref who was such an asshole to our registration girls, I felt we had no choice to write a letter of reprimand to USAC. When the insignificant disfunctionary was ready to leave he asked the best road home. I gave him my opinion and he replied with "I ain't riding no F*ing gravel roads". So I told him to point his KLR south until he hit the Ohio River and don't ever come back. In all my years of racing moto or pedal, I have never met a bigger imperonator of the male member. Hopefully he's been nutered and can't reproduce! (sorry about that rant)

Just got an invite this afternoon to another pedaling movie playing downtown here in Massillon..

Breaking Away (1979)
"A small-town teen obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl."
- The Greatest Bicycling Movie of All Time.
- Hilarious, Heartwarming, Inspiring
April 8-10
The Lions Lincoln Theater
156 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, OH
Friday & Saturday, April 8 & 9 at 7:00pm
Sunday, April 10 at 6:00pm
Sponsored by Ernie's Bicycle Shop
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3787129113/

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #19189
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Bits of trivia:
The cycling shorts Costner wore had to be taken in his legs were so skinny.
He fell on the monument and broke his collar bone.

The extras made him ride "The Wall" many, many times after he was overheard bad-mouthing cyclists.

After the descent off the monument he had a new opinion of tough.

Thanks for sharing this excellent story about Danceswithbaggybikeshorts.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #19190
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Im getting the itch to get back out there.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #19191
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

No living involved. Working as a ref/marshal cost me about my a good bit every year.
The writer of both films lived in Denver, may still We would run into each other every once in a great while out riding. when we rode along together he would stop once in a while and fire up a cigarette.

Gave me a chance to talk bikes instead of just pounding out miles with my voices in my head as company.
"Breaking Away" is the story of the little 500 race at Indiana University.

Little 500

I quit riding motorcycles as an USCF official after several races and officials got sued over incidents. Usually some spectator walking out into the peleton. There is a load of exposure financially when working these things. I decided I didn't need that much adventure. And besides my daughters were up to an age where I was spending all my time with them and their activities, something of mine had to go.Bicycle racing got the call. That left work and family.
While I was in college, (late bloomer/third career), I used motorcycles from our shop and added some lettering for advertising. It worked I got the front page of the sports section a few times.

We usually found the biggest jerks drove Saab 9000's for some reason, though one golfer in a 3-series BMW did attempt to vie for the lead. While not able to push some tough contenders from the lead, I think the Sheriff, gave him an award for his effort.

A few bikes we used,

We also had an R100 RTPD, an R80/GS, K100, K100LT, K100RS, K75, an R80 with an S fairing, and my old silver R100S.

The best gigs by far were as a photographer's platform. Much better viewing of the actual racing and these gigs paid well. I worked Triathlons, marathons, 5 and 10K's as well as bicycle races. These are loads of fun compared to the pre-dawn to past dusk work of a marshal or official. As a marshal you are so far away from the race to do a good job, you never should see the race. And we rarely did. One one occasion we were hastily drafted to be the lead into town since the car was not going to make the several 90 degree corners. We had two leading police bikes, (Harley Davidsons), they stuck to the posted speed limit of 35 mph while ourselves and the peleton sprinted past at about 50 up main into Estes Park.
The cops wanted to ticket us for blaring our horns, and there was a lot of yelling.
Later the state patrol got caught in a patrol car by the peleton coming off a pass at about 55 or better. The commander in the car was really pissed the bicycles were passing him. They were under the mistaken impression a bicycle race was similar to a parade. A stately and orderly procession. I guess the word "race" only meant one thing to them.

Oh, there are hazards to riding with photographers... They sometimes lose track of reality and do some dumb things.
I had a big TV cameraman sitting backwards on the RTPD, and as we rounded a downhill corner during filming a circuit race he wanted a different angle so hooked his massive arm around my neck and leaned way off the bike, nearly tearing my head off and choking me to tunnel vision before I could get stopped at a pullout and explain how choke-holding the driver of the motorcycle was bad for both of us.

During the Coors Classic in 1981, a Video guy jumped off a Goldwing, (Beta-Cam) with his tape deck strapped to the top of the top box, he hops off on the left and runs around to the right side and then decided to run down the slope for a shot of the peleton rising out of the pavement between the mountain Spring flowers. Well, remember that tapedeck tied to the top box?
He didn't. he gets to the end of the tether, and is jerked off is feet, onto his back, (camera is at his shoulder), and these Beta-Cam guys all looked like NFL-sized people. The poor motorcycle pilot is a not too tall semi-round retired guy wearing shorts and a beanie-type hat. The bike is jerked by the tethered camera and deck much more than his short and bare little legs can handle. Motorcycle, rider, cameraman and camera all tumble down the rocky slope to the edge of the river. I seem to recall the networks spent a good sum buying the pilot a new bike and is bodily repair bill. The camera exploded into something over $50,000 of trash. We had a great view of this action, but no pictures since our job was to keep cars out of the bike race not take pictures. That and a few other small incidents kept me away from camera work for a good bit. I got into it as a platform for a few small female photographers who seemed to understand that motorcycles could be both a great vantage point to shoot from and dangerous. They would tell me what they were going to do before doing it and we would discuss what was not a good idea before firing up bike and camera.
The sidecar worked really well for the big Beta-Cam guys. Gave them a nice stable platform with plenty of handholds so they didn't have to crawl all over me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Mercury264...
I use the notches in my belt to remind me that I need to pedal more, eat less! which reminds me, I'm up a notch over the winter
Now that is a dream job, riding motorcycles for a living, at a bicycle race no less! I ride moto at our clubs race up here in Orrville and have at a couple other races just for the ride. This past summer we had an official moto-ref who was such an asshole to our registration girls, I felt we had no choice to write a letter of reprimand to USAC. When the insignificant disfunctionary was ready to leave he asked the best road home. I gave him my opinion and he replied with "I ain't riding no F*ing gravel roads". So I told him to point his KLR south until he hit the Ohio River and don't ever come back. In all my years of racing moto or pedal, I have never met a bigger imperonator of the male member. Hopefully he's been nutered and can't reproduce! (sorry about that rant)

Just got an invite this afternoon to another pedaling movie playing downtown here in Massillon..

Breaking Away (1979)
"A small-town teen obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl."
April 8-10
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #19192
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Mercury264...

I use the notches in my belt to remind me that I need to pedal more, eat less! which remionds me, I'm up a notch over the winter

Breaking Away (1979)
April 8-10
Exactly what I do - in general, if my clothes fit better, I know I'm heading in the right direction.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #19193
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Quote:
Exactly what I do - in general, if my clothes fit better, I know I'm heading in the right direction.
I'm just about at the point where I need to buy all new jeans.
Problem is... my thighs. They're bigger than the next waist size down's legs. So I live with the bunching, etc.

M
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #19194
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

At present I do not have this problem. Once upon a time that was the case. Now, I have been gaining weight as I have trained and change my eating habits.
I'm hoping this trip home begins a real reduction. Smaller meals of lighter and lighter foods, and seriously work at not eating chips and cheese. Nuke TV, and get back to my three R's, (reading riding and running).
Probably be forced to cut way down on the wine and song too. OK, maybe just the wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm just about at the point where I need to buy all new jeans.
Problem is... my thighs. They're bigger than the next waist size down's legs. So I live with the bunching, etc.

M
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #19195
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

I have decided to treat myself to a new bike. I bought a 500 buck Motobecane from bikesdirect about 3 years ago - very basic (Sora groupset etc.) but it really has done me well and I have done 1,000's of miles on it but I really fancy a new bike if for no other reason than I can leave my current bike on the trainer/rollers and not have to keep swapping over.

I have decided I'd like a steel bike mainly because I'm a fat git and I want the strength of steel and I don't need to shave grams, I'll just skip breakfast if needs be. I'd also like the best groupset I can reasonably afford and that, to my understanding and budget, means Ultegra.

I have also decided to give bikesdirect another go - it seems you can't beat their prices and I could give a crap about the actual name on a bike, just that's it's a decent bike.

So....with that in mind I have boiled it down to 2 choices:

Motobecane Gran Premio PRO Road Bike

Or

Mercier Serpens

I prefer the Motobecanse, and they are close in price but I have a couple questions:

1. Why no CF forks on the Motobecane ?
2. I have CF forks on my current bike, if I get the Motobecane can I transfer the forks to the new bike and if so how hard is that to do ?
3. Should I be concerned the Motobecane has only 20 gears - again, if I get this bike and I decide to change it, how easy would it be ?
4. I upgraded the rear wheel on my current bike, can I fit that to either of these bikes with no modification ?
5. What color should I get

Any and all opinion welcomed.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #19196
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:

I prefer the Motobecane, and they are close in price but I have a couple questions:

1. Why no CF forks on the Motobecane ?
2. I have CF forks on my current bike, if I get the Motobecane can I transfer the forks to the new bike and if so how hard is that to do ?
3. Should I be concerned the Motobecane has only 20 gears - again, if I get this bike and I decide to change it, how easy would it be ?
4. I upgraded the rear wheel on my current bike, can I fit that to either of these bikes with no modification ?
5. What color should I get

Any and all opinion welcomed.

Cheers

The Motobecane is lugged, the steel fork will be fine. Carbon forks from a discount company put under stress would freak me out. The Motobecane also has what I believe are welded Mavic rims, if I remember correctly, the Ritcheys are pinned and glued.

And last but not least, the Motobecane would look sweet with KTM stickers!!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #19197
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
The Motobecane is lugged, the steel fork will be fine. Carbon forks from a discount company put under stress would freak me out. The Motobecane also has what I believe are welded Mavic rims, if I remember correctly, the Ritcheys are pinned and glued.
The CF forks on my current bike seem to be fine after about 7k miles, I was just more curious as to why one bike had steel and one had CF - what does CF actually give you that steel does not ? I did like the wheels on the Motobecane also - they did seem a little chunkier than the other bike.

Quote:
And last but not least, the Motobecane would look sweet with KTM stickers!!
As an avowed Husky fan, that just 'aint happening That said, I do like the orange one but the blue is pretty sweet also.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #19198
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
See if you can't hunt down something steel with SRAM on it. Mo bettah.

AFA the # of gears: I like compact doubles better than triples. Coupla reasons: 1. easier to set up and keep that way 2. lighter 3. you get roughly the same gear ratios with the advantages of 1 & 2

AFA the 2 specific bikes you've listed: go with the Mercier and find someone that wants to trade triple for double. The frame's nicer. 853 is the shiznit. I've got a Gunnar made outta the stuff.

M
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #19199
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
Before I brought my current bike, I really took a hard look at the Scott Speedster S10. I know you like steel, but if you can find a dealer near you, you might want to take one out for a ride first.

In your price range there are a lot of really good bikes out there.

Joc
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #19200
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
We usually found the biggest jerks drove Saab 9000's for some reason, though one golfer in a 3-series BMW did attempt to vie for the lead. While not able to push some tough contenders from the lead, I think the Sheriff, gave him an award for his effort.

This dork was the moto ref! Saabs eh? In our neck of the woods it used to be the bike doubled or tripled the value of the car it was mounted to, now, I feel like a welfare redneck client pulling up in my truck and parking between a whole line of $40k to $60k cars and suv's.

Sounds like you had some very interesting "incidents" happening around you. I have had to ward off would be passers in cars, usually those heading to church that aren't very Christian about us hogging up their roads. One old man attempted to run me down. I warned the pack there was a rogue car trying to get through. Then he threatened to call the police and was too stupid to realize there was a State Highway Patrol at the head of the pack! I told him the was a Patrol in front of the riders so go ahead and call He cooled down a little then took a side road.

Tried to ride this evening but just wasn't feeling it, only lasted 10 miles before the toe were froze

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: