User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #19246
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,392
Yeah, congrats rmi03 on your coming addition. If you can still do the bar ride on Fridays during your kids first year or 2, then your wife is awesome! Somehow things seem to change a bit after the kids...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #19247
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
To have fun!

This is what I LOVE to do!

That was great!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #19248
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

^^^ Nice find! I'm guessing that must be somewhere in the NW or Whistler.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #19249
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You need a winter shoe; those without venting. Get a 1/2 size larger, to allow thicker socks. If you cram a thick sock into your normal size, it'll inhibit bloodflow to your feet. Plastic sacks over your feet, then slid into your shoes will help stop airflow to your skin. A good ski sock, like those made by Craft work better than any cycling sock.

Be careful about subjecting frozen body parts to hot water. The numbness will mask you being burned by hot water. Also, the shock, from frozen to hot, is not good for the nerves.

My friend Adam lives in your neck of the woods. He said he's ridden with you, on motorcycles, in the past.

He and I have been conversing about him getting a MTB. I couldn't believe he didn't already have one, given the killer riding you guys have.

Short-term is: to rid myself of the 20lbs I gained post-surgery, last spring. That laid me up nearly 6 months; ride the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge with my friend, Adam. Not sure if we're doing the 62 or 100. I opined that we should just ride whatever we feel.
Thanks for the winter shoe tips. I have limited options because of my wide size 12.5 feet which confine the choices to Lake or Sidi's Mega lineup. Is this Adam fella the one with the Strom for sale recently in the Flea Market? We'll have to meet up during the 3 State in May. I plan on riding it again this year. Its a very well organized/supported century. Haven't ridden the roadbike since November, so its time to get crankin'.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #19250
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
All these posts about bicycles and equipment - I'd love to hear of your goals for bicycling.
To be a full time bicycle-commuter. $3.15 a gallon? Kiss my
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #19251
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
$3.15? hah. I had to tank my warwagon, premium was $3.75/G last weekend at Costco, and I'm hearing its gone up again. The higher priced chevrons and such stations are already over $4.04/G for premium around these parts.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #19252
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #19253
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Did you ever order this?

More orange, BTW!
I did! (in black... shhhh)

I haven't finished building it up - brooks saddle w/matching leather bar tape, drop bar brakes, Candy pedals and a freewheel on the b-side. Pics as soon as it's done - probably not 'til next weekend, though.

The Trek is SPEC-FOOKIN-TACULAR. I only got to ride it twice before having to leave on a business trip, but I owe y'all pics, and I'll post 'em as soon as I get back. The darn thing is a rocket - practically pedals itself. And I'm really happy with how the paint turned out. Now I need to... um... stop sucking. I have absolutely run out of excuses
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #19254
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,507
Quote:
All these posts about bicycles and equipment - I'd love to hear of your goals for bicycling.
Well, like inmate mud, "have fun!"

That and continue to bicycle the 8mi rt to work daily as I have all but 4 times in the last 4 yrs.

Been riding a Surly Pugsley a lot during the winters and finally decided to upgrade to a Fatback. Shed about 8lbs compared to my 'ol Pugs! Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #19255
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
I did! (in black... shhhh)

I haven't finished building it up - brooks saddle w/matching leather bar tape, drop bar brakes, Candy pedals and a freewheel on the b-side. Pics as soon as it's done - probably not 'til next weekend, though.

The Trek is SPEC-FOOKIN-TACULAR. I only got to ride it twice before having to leave on a business trip, but I owe y'all pics, and I'll post 'em as soon as I get back. The darn thing is a rocket - practically pedals itself. And I'm really happy with how the paint turned out. Now I need to... um... stop sucking. I have absolutely run out of excuses
if you're still near NYC let's break that orange crate in with a fixie ride in prospect park....

or to Piermont route 9....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #19256
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Yadda yadda yadda, big goals, goldwing, yadda yadda yadda.

Sounds pretty awesome, man! All the better if MrsK7 is supportive, too.

I find that I sorta need to be chasing a carrot in order to wake up and train in the morning. No race in the calendar? That snooze button gets pummeled into submission.

So, my goals: in a sense, I'm a month and change away from my biggest challenge yet - a full Ironman. My training's going well, and I feel like I'll do fine - I'll probably be in pain for a couple of weeks, but that's ok.

But there's a lot of year left after that. I have a few more races on my calendar, including the NYC triathlon in August and the Buenos Aires marathon in October.

My goal for the year isn't so much cycling, running, or even triathlon-related, at least not directly. My goal is to really focus on my weight and my nutrition. I've lost a decent amount of weight already, but I'm still quite a bit heavier than I should be if I want to be competitive. Hopefully, that'll set me up nicely for some serious dream-crushing in 2012, although I'll probably shift my focus to shorter races.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #19257
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
if you're still near NYC let's break that orange crate in with a fixie ride in prospect park....

or to Piermont route 9....
Sadly, no I've been bouncing around like a madman for the past few months. The tri-bike's in Colombia, the fixie's in Miami, and I'm in Argentina (but only for a few days)!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #19258
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
How much lateral freeplay is acceptable on a rear roadbike wheel? While dicking around in the garage this morning, I noticed the Bontrager Select on my Trek 1500 has 1-2 mm of wobble. Not out of true, but rather a looseness-in-the-bearings feeling. I don't recall noticing it while riding (its been awhile),but moving it back and forth with a finger while stationary is kinda scary. It has 4640 miles on it with a 220lb rider. Is this considered "normal" wear, or something I should be concerned about?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #19259
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Well, like inmate mud, "have fun!"

That and continue to bicycle the 8mi rt to work daily as I have all but 4 times in the last 4 yrs.

Been riding a Surly Pugsley a lot during the winters and finally decided to upgrade to a Fatback. Shed about 8lbs compared to my 'ol Pugs! Mark H.

No front brake?
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #19260
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Pheh - cheap compared to some parts of the world.

It's funny - I've gone from a Land Rover to a Mini to a Honda hybrid over the last 16 years and the cost of a tank of gas has remained somewhat consistent. I freaked when gas went past $1.50 and filling up the LR cost $40. Now, sheesh - $40 for the Honda. Luckily, the mileage is excellent and more important, I can use the HOV lane even when I'm alone.

But I get your feelings - be safe too!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: