Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #19261
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post

Sounds pretty awesome, man! All the better if MrsK7 is supportive, too.

I find that I sorta need to be chasing a carrot in order to wake up and train in the morning. No race in the calendar? That snooze button gets pummeled into submission.

So, my goals: in a sense, I'm a month and change away from my biggest challenge yet - a full Ironman. My training's going well, and I feel like I'll do fine - I'll probably be in pain for a couple of weeks, but that's ok.

But there's a lot of year left after that. I have a few more races on my calendar, including the NYC triathlon in August and the Buenos Aires marathon in October.

My goal for the year isn't so much cycling, running, or even triathlon-related, at least not directly. My goal is to really focus on my weight and my nutrition. I've lost a decent amount of weight already, but I'm still quite a bit heavier than I should be if I want to be competitive. Hopefully, that'll set me up nicely for some serious dream-crushing in 2012, although I'll probably shift my focus to shorter races.
Good luck to you! If you sign up for the local Ironman here, let me know. We'll throw out the welcome mat.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #19262
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Thanks for the winter shoe tips. I have limited options because of my wide size 12.5 feet which confine the choices to Lake or Sidi's Mega lineup. Is this Adam fella the one with the Strom for sale recently in the Flea Market? We'll have to meet up during the 3 State in May. I plan on riding it again this year. Its a very well organized/supported century. Haven't ridden the roadbike since November, so its time to get crankin'.
Specialized, Bont, and Shimano all make wider shoes. The Specialized (SBC) 'Pro' model actually comes EEE as well as narrow.

My goals: A. not get dropped in the 40+ crits I'm about to do and I'm gonna try like heck to actually win one. The first race back's gonna be the Jefferson Cup. That = hills. I HATE hills. So, basically, I'm gonna drive 2hrs for a hilly group ride cause sure as shootin, I'm not gonna win, place, or show.

I'm about to hit the first peak of the season. After that, I'm gonna throttle back the intensity and play for a bit, then work up to cross season in the fall. THAT I'm looking forward to!

M
Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #19263
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
I need some help finding a tech document for a braze on front derailuer. I have a 105 derailuer and the low limit screw is all the way out and it still will not drop into the small ring properly. It is a 105 compact crank. I am theorizing that the seat tube on this bike is too fat and has the derailuer positioned too far out over the crank. Where should a braze on front derailuer mount be positioned relative to the seat tube center line? I looked at shimano's web site and found nothing. I did a google search and found someone who said it should be 26-28mm. I would like to come up with a document that says this.

Help!
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #19264
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I need some help finding a tech document for a braze on front derailuer. I have a 105 derailuer and the low limit screw is all the way out and it still will not drop into the small ring properly. It is a 105 compact crank. I am theorizing that the seat tube on this bike is too fat and has the derailuer positioned too far out over the crank. Where should a braze on front derailuer mount be positioned relative to the seat tube center line? I looked at shimano's web site and found nothing. I did a google search and found someone who said it should be 26-28mm. I would like to come up with a document that says this.

Help!
If I remember correctly it is supposed to be perpendicular..... If that makes sense.

I don't think the simple production ones were designed for oversized tubing. At that point you need to tweak to make it work. There is a reason they call frame building an "art".

When ever I have done it I just lined up the derailleur to where I wanted it with the hanger attached to the derailleur, mark it for brazing and modified the mount accordingly.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #19265
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:

Help!
I see what you are asking now..... I have never seen a number. Sorry.

Can you bend the derailleur rail?
Did it work right at one time? Did it get bent?
You could always try a wider spindled bottom bracket.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #19266
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
That was great!
It is a cut from this movie.

It is really cool!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #19267
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
I think what you're running into with that f. der. is that the arc of the plates and the 'push outs' (not a technical term) are in the wrong spots for the chainrings.

I'm running an XTR f. der. on my compact cranks.

Look for an Apex or a 105 triple front der. and I'm gonna bet your problems are solved.

HTH

M
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #19268
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
question on carbon frames....how delicate is the finish? if i drop a chain between gear and chainstay/seat tube/bb/etc, with it cause enough damage to render the carbon frame useless?
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #19269
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
It is a cut from this movie.

It is really cool!
Awesome trailer. I really like these new HD films with great videography. All of The Collective trailers are really well done too.

On a similar note, I just saw this posted on MTBR. What a great mix of trials and AM riding. What a talented rider! So freakin sweet:

A Hill in Spain from chris akrigg on Vimeo.

Ryan
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #19270
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
question on carbon frames....how delicate is the finish? if i drop a chain between gear and chainstay/seat tube/bb/etc, with it cause enough damage to render the carbon frame useless?
It can. I have seen it eat completely through and cause enough damage for it to break. It can be fixed in either case.

This is a friend of mine.... He does good work.
http://www.blondefab.blogspot.com/

mud screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 10:41 AM
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #19271
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
All these posts about bicycles and equipment - I'd love to hear of your goals for bicycling.
Buy more bicycles and equipment, duh!
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #19272
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Buy more bicycles and equipment, duh!
So true, so true.......
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #19273
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
It can. I have seen it eat completely through and cause enough damage for it to break. It can be fixed in either case.

This is a friend of mine.... He does good work.
http://www.blondefab.blogspot.com/
well dang. i was considering supporting my LBS by buying a cervelo rs rather than a motobecane ti roadie, but now i have to rethink my situation.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #19274
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,072
Well, Gummee, I went by the LBS this morning.

I'm no longer in the market for a new bike.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #19275
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,523
Quote:
No front brake?
Nope. Hadn't had one on the Pugsley the last 3yrs since I switched to a symmetrical fork.

Also only running it as a 1x9. Works for me. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: