Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #19336
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
lovely piggy picture. sorry to hear about that mishap.
thanks everyone for replies. i feel if the bike was a true 19.5, like a hard tail, no problem, but it's an 18 or so, and that's where it starts being small. i need a really long seat post. i have just sold my other mtb, and man, i just have to say that at least judging from CL postings and such, the economy is in a big shitter.
since i have listed the EX all i have got is trade emails- which are fine, but
it just tells me how little money seems to be going around.
if i can't get anything for it, i'll just have to deal with a shorty frame and up the seat post and the bar.
my next bike, be it #2 or a replacement, is very likely going to be a
hard tail 29er. it seems like the industry has really shifted in that direction, and being a bigger guy it just makes sense.
29ers make more sense size-wise for you than they do me. I'm 5'8" and while I can ride em, there's frame considerations...

M
Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #19337
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,559
Ski season's winding down. What did I miss?

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #19338
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Ski season's winding down. What did I miss?
New bikes. Lots of em. Not just me, but others.

Ricky's back.

There's more, but the Mully minute's over.

M
Old 03-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #19339
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
i feel if the bike was a true 19.5, like a hard tail, no problem, but it's an 18 or so, and that's where it starts being small. i need a really long seat post. i have just sold my other mtb, and man, i just have to say that at least judging from CL postings and such, the economy is in a big shitter.
since i have listed the EX all i have got is trade emails- which are fine, but
it just tells me how little money seems to be going around.
if i can't get anything for it, i'll just have to deal with a shorty frame and up the seat post and the bar.
my next bike, be it #2 or a replacement, is very likely going to be a
hard tail 29er. it seems like the industry has really shifted in that direction, and being a bigger guy it just makes sense.
Go for it. I was in the same situation. Never could get comfy on the 18" hardtail frame I got in trade for my old road bike. After building it up with Deore stuff I had laying around, I jacked the seat post way up there and still felt like a frog on a walnut. Last month I bought a lightly used XL frame Giant hard tail 29er off CL for a bargain. It fits my 6'0 220lb self like a glove. Never looked back. I'm 10 minutes a lap faster on it over a 10 mile single track loop than the old bike.The wagon wheeler positively hauls ass, even up the climbs. It handles like a dream. The only downside is I've gotten to the point (speed wise)where I feel like I should start wearing a pressure suit, which has never happened on a bicycle. The 26er will be going up for sale soon.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #19340
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
i have a question and it seems like it belongs on this thread.
well, i have been mountain biking over the last couple years two, three times a week on my old f/s GT. since i like riding and spending time in the woods- and i kept breaking my old bike down, i figured it was time to invest in something newer, better. so, i bought a nice, used but in like new condition EX8. the bike looks and handles just great.
but, and here it goes now, but i have realized contrary to what i held before that a 19.5 frame (which is 18.5 actual) could be just too small
for me. i'm 6'2 and weigh over 200lbs.
i could probably get away with more seat post, but is it worth it?
right now, i'm leaning towards selling it (which just sucks) and going with a 21. my old bike was an xl (which was more like 21.5).
what's to do here? I could (but not necessarily will) break even.
i have sold my woods 250 to get this mtb, because i had to be realistic and understand that i can ride a mtb 7 days/wk on awesome trail or pull my dirt bike once a month for two hours for rutted up c trail somewhere. and i like the exercise! now i can really ride my big thumper off road all day!
For my mountain bikes, I prefer to run a short stem on a larger frame. Keeps the handlebars higher, and quick handling of the bike.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #19341
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
One of the guys on yesterday's cross ride brought along his video camera and put it up on YouTube:

That's yours truly at the very beginning in the red/blue jersey. I would have been shown more, but the videographer didn't have a rearward facing camera. Or a telephoto lens.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #19342
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
thanks for the replies, i think im going to list the bike and see how it goes.
the hardest thing is going to be- i just like looking at it! it looks great in the house.
yeah, no need to feel like a 'frog on a walnut'

on a 29er only downside i can think of is, i dont know how much fun, 'all mountain' capability do they have. so far my riding has been
a fair mix of AM and XC, but the guys i have been riding lately are pushing more AM.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #19343
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Watching a torrent of Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne on the computer. Dutch is hard m'kay.

M
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #19344
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Quote:
thanks for the replies, i think im going to list the bike and see how it goes.
the hardest thing is going to be- i just like looking at it! it looks great in the house.
yeah, no need to feel like a 'frog on a walnut'

on a 29er only downside i can think of is, i dont know how much fun, 'all mountain' capability do they have. so far my riding has been
a fair mix of AM and XC, but the guys i have been riding lately are pushing more AM.
For those truly riding AM, 26ers seem to be more popular because of their "flickability" and the fact that you can't get many (if any) 29ers in 5-6 inch full suspension frames. Probably soon, though.

Ryan
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #19345
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
I'll admit it. I had to look up the term "All Mountain". We used to call them full suspension mtbs. What's the big difference between AM and XC besides suspension travel?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #19346
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I'll admit it. I had to look up the term "All Mountain". We used to call them full suspension mtbs. What's the big difference between AM and XC besides suspension travel?
This is a hotly debated/flamed topic on MTBR. Generally, AM riding is going to be more aggressive (more tech terrrain, larger drops/jumps, etc) than XC. XC bikes are generally made light and for going fast. AM is somewhere in between XC and downhill. Slack head tube angles, big suspension, but bikes that can still pedal uphill.

While you can ride any bike on any terrain (I guess), AM bikes assume that you want to ride uphill, but that you may be more focused on control on the downhill run. And that you will be abusing your bike more than the typical XC rider (heavier tubing, etc).

To add to the confusion, there is also a new category of bikes called "Trail" which fit in somewhere between AM and XC. And then there is freeride, dirt jump, and a whole host of other, ride-type specific mountain bikes.

Example: Giant's Anthem (4 inches FS) is considered an XC bike; Giant Trance X (5 inches) is considered a trail bike (which I have); and the Giant Reign (6 inches) is considered an AM bike. Their bigger suspension bikes then move into the categories of freeride (think British Columbia wooden bridges 20 feet in the air) and downhill

Bottom line: It's probably all marketing hype created to sell us stuff, but it is sometimes useful in describing the gear and the terrain that the bike was designed for.

EDIT: Just read your post again. So, besides suspension travel, there is differences in frame geometry, the ruggedness/weight of frame/components, and probably some other minor stuff. I think the major factors that distinguish mountain bikes these days are suspension travel and geometry.

Ryan

rmi03 screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 01:37 PM
rmi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #19347
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi03 View Post
For those truly riding AM, 26ers seem to be more popular because of their "flickability" and the fact that you can't get many (if any) 29ers in 5-6 inch full suspension frames. Probably soon, though.

Ryan
Here you go: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/banshee...view-2011.html

Very cool looking bike.

Yeah, you are right about the "flickability" thing. I love my 29er but it is a little long...... I have been riding my 26ers more and more.
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #19348
Bendejo
Movin' on up

Oddometer: 4,488
Can anyone describe to me the process of removing a bottom bracket freewheel [question mark] My trials bike is going to need one swapped out as soon as the new one gets here. I would like to think the failure was from my excessive manlyness, but more than likely, it was a manufacturing error.
Bendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #19349
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendejo View Post
Can anyone describe to me the process of removing a bottom bracket freewheel [question mark] My trials bike is going to need one swapped out as soon as the new one gets here. I would like to think the failure was from my excessive manlyness, but more than likely, it was a manufacturing error.
Yeah. Buy wrench. Turn wrench.

Easy!

(or go take a gander at Park Tools' site. They have tutorials for about everything.)

Hiya Ben. Wondering when you'd be by.

M
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #19350
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,580
I watched some of the Paris - Nice racing yesterday. Got distracted by Supercross, then backpacking gear.... Never saw the ending.

So much for my attention span.

Started thinking about re-doing the decals on the Pinarello even though I don't the exact correct decals.

Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: