User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #19396
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
So one of the 'friends of the shop' wanted to go to the Philly Interbike... We got him in on the list.

He signs up for the WTB giveaway frame.

Guess who won?!

Bastard.

M
Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #19397
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So one of the 'friends of the shop' wanted to go to the Philly Interbike... We got him in on the list.

He signs up for the WTB giveaway frame.

Guess who won?!

Bastard.

M
Aaaah Interbike. Every time I went to Philly for IB there was at least one extremely generous soul who offered to "watch my truck so nothing happens to it...for $10"

I brought my girlfriend (now wife) to Vegas for IB in 2004. From a few lanes away a guy from the Blackspire booth called my GF over to get a free t-shirt with road sign style graphic representations of riding bikes :: drinking :: dancing :: doggystyle. Made possible by the air conditioning in the convention hall.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #19398
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,993
I finally got off my dead ass and got a short ride in on my new bike. I'm still getting used to the shifters.

It has a loud squalling front disc brake. Just need broken in or what?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #19399
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
They all do that. Congrats.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #19400
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I finally got off my dead ass and got a short ride in on my new bike. I'm still getting used to the shifters.

Mix up some Dawn dish soap and water and wipe the finger oils off.

Then DO NOT TOUCH the discs

M
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #19401
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
Those things were wicked cool.
Mert Lawill is a hell of a rider, but more than anything he is a genius and a visionary, I love his work.

Funny many years later I end up doing some work at the very shop that made that fork, something I will never even dream about when I was living in Colombia (I did have my US Passport, But I was having a lot of fun and did not want to move anywhere)

For some time I have this bike, but i got broke so I have to sell it so sad, It feel like a big BMX on 26' wheels so agil so jumpy, so much fun.

Quote:

I wish I still had every bike I ever purchased, but space and frequent moves made it impossible.
Oh man I hear you on that one

Quote:

I had one of the first titanium WTB Phoenix frames Steve Potts built but sold it when I bought an Ellsworth... what a dummy.
I'm lucky to have one of Steve's Phoenix's and for sure I don't see my self selling it, since is such a work of art, hell I sold the original "Suntour/WTB" seatpost to some Swiss guy on e bay for almost $400 and i put a thompson on it since it works even better but the frame I'm keeping for sure.

Yes specially for a Ellsworth since they are such a piece of Crapolla
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #19402
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
I'm lucky to have one of Steve's Phoenix's and for sure I don't see my self selling it, since is such a work of art, hell I sold the original "Suntour/WTB" seatpost to some Swiss guy on e bay for almost $400 and i put a thompson on it since it works even better but the frame I'm keeping for sure.

Yes specially for a Ellsworth since they are such a piece of Crapolla
Lucky indeed.

Don't I know it about the Ellsworth being crap. I waited 9 months to get it, and in the mean time had a custom trials frame built for me (which I broke in three months...it remains as the only frame I've ever broken). I had the Ellsworth until a few years ago when some douche decided to raid my shed and liberate all the bikes in it. That's the only time Ellsworth ownership paid off. I paid $900 for the frame and insurance paid out over $3K. I don't know how they worked out the math, but at least it made up for the loss I took on everything else.

PS. I can't believe how much Europeans are willing to pay for mid-90's MTB crap. A buddy of mine is sitting on a box full of old Grafton and Cook Bros stuff. I keep reminding him he could convert it into several new Vertigos
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #19403
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
Lucky indeed.

Don't I know it about the Ellsworth being crap. I waited 9 months to get it, and in the mean time had a custom trials frame built for me (which I broke in three months...it remains as the only frame I've ever broken). I had the Ellsworth until a few years ago when some douche decided to raid my shed and liberate all the bikes in it. That's the only time Ellsworth ownership paid off. I paid $900 for the frame and insurance paid out over $3K. I don't know how they worked out the math, but at least it made up for the loss I took on everything else.
Well maybe my impression are base on my working at a Ellsworth dealer and seeing how many of them got send back for warranty work (i was the one that pack them and I pack tons of them)
Quote:

PS. I can't believe how much Europeans are willing to pay for mid-90's MTB crap. A buddy of mine is sitting on a box full of old Grafton and Cook Bros stuff. I keep reminding him he could convert it into several new Vertigos
Oh does where the good old days, before the economy collapse and kind of the reason why I have so many fancy vintage bikes since from one day to the next their value drop to almost nothing.

Put it this way, the deal I had inside my head was......
that if I can sell the parts of a bike (or the frame) for what I pay for I can keep the rest of it for my self and in some cases just by selling something like the cranks (Cook brothers Purple cranks with chainrings for example) I got to keep the rest of the bike for my self.

In another transaction I sold one of my Klein attitude rigid forks (the right color and size) for about four times what they retail for in the old days, I tell you Vintage stuff is where is at, Bicycles, motorcycles, it makes no difference
Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #19404
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Recently restored my old Fat Chance Yo Eddy. It was rusted out at the bottom of the seat tube (almost all the way around!) so I stripped it, cut out the BB and half the seat tube, replaced the press-in BB with a threaded shell and replaced the lower half of the seat tube with some straight gauge 4130. Then I drilled some big ass drain holes in the BB so it wouldn't happen again.

Crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea-

It's got a mix of old and new parts but I really need to do something about the stem. I have the materials for a bull moose style bar, just haven't had the time to make it.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #19405
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Here's a pic of the rust. I can only imagine how long I was riding a busted frame!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #19406
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike View Post
Recently restored my old Fat Chance Yo Eddy. It was rusted out at the bottom of the seat tube (almost all the way around!) so I stripped it, cut out the BB and half the seat tube, replaced the press-in BB with a threaded shell and replaced the lower half of the seat tube with some straight gauge 4130. Then I drilled some big ass drain holes in the BB so it wouldn't happen again.
It's got a mix of old and new parts but I really need to do something about the stem. I have the materials for a bull moose style bar, just haven't had the time to make it.
Very nice.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #19407
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I dreamed of putting one of those fork on an old GT LTS frame to match up them four-bar linkage.. a bike like that would weigh tons..

How about an old Girvin 2 with extra seal kit and hard as a rock elastomer? I replaced the rear with a coil and the whole fork with a Girvin dual crown

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #19408
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Just got done watching the 96 Tour Du Pont. I've ridden some of the roads thru SW VA that they did. I did it MUCH slower.

It was nifty. Time capsule of the bikes/time/equipment from when I could actually afford things. ie: right after college working in a bike shop.

M
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #19409
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
How about an old Girvin 2 with extra seal kit and hard as a rock elastomer? I replaced the rear with a coil and the whole fork with a Girvin dual crown

How about a "real" Girvin type fork that actually works and don't wear out the bushing on a few months.

Can you say German, Can you say Very Expensive.

Actually this is kind of the Epitome of the concept, totally mass centralization, super rigid, compact and really pretty too
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #19410
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
New bike arrived

Is it wrong to lovingly caress bike components....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: