Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 514 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #19471
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The annual 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge century is happening on May 7.
http://www.3state3mountainchallenge.com/index.html

If you're in the southeast and feel up for a challenge, this is not to be missed. Sag support is excellent and the local cops keep the route safe from cage intervention. I'm registered for this day of pain. Anybody else gonna do it?
That ride has always been on my to-do list, but it's the same weekend as the Dilworth Crit. I am registered for BSG and Bridge-to-Bridge for the 3rd year in a row. Hoping to break the 6 hour mark on B2B this year. I would also like to do the Assault on Mt. Mitchell and 3 mountain madness someday as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #19472
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Yay. I can still get dropped on the hills!

M
Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #19473
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The annual 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge century is happening on May 7.
http://www.3state3mountainchallenge.com/index.html

If you're in the southeast and feel up for a challenge, this is not to be missed. Sag support is excellent and the local cops keep the route safe from cage intervention. I'm registered for this day of pain. Anybody else gonna do it?
As mentioned, Adam and I were going to do it. But, the thought of ~2,000 riders on the same roads ruins it for me. I'd rather go suffer on Brasstown Bald, that weekend. I may do that the week before. I'm off from Wed to the following Thurs. He and I'll be somewhere riding something that weekend.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #19474
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Got my Red order in from QBP today. Roubaix is now all Red except for the Force front derailleur. Even the pros don't run Red f. der-s.

I think from now on tho, I'm gonna stick to Force. Seems to be a real good bang for the buck price/performance level. Also doesn't seem to be as big a jump quality-wise as D/A to Ultegra.

M
Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #19475
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
New Franco frame and fork arrived, with semi custom paint scheme!!

Now I can retire my 'cross bike from road bike duties!

Pics to follow.
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #19476
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yay. I can still get dropped on the hills!
I know that feeling!!

Early on (Far right in red)...

Last climb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
New Franco frame and fork arrived, with semi custom paint scheme!!

Now I can retire my 'cross bike from road bike duties!

Pics to follow.
Franco Frame? My 24" Diamondback Reactor is labeled a Franco Frame with a body builder outline/silhouette on it. Way overbuilt and perfect for my carcass!!

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...4%22&Type=bike

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #19477
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Dwars door Flaandren is on in Italian.

Gotta love cyclingtorrentls.nl

M
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #19478
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Got my Red order in from QBP today. Roubaix is now all Red except for the Force front derailleur. Even the pros don't run Red f. der-s.

I think from now on tho, I'm gonna stick to Force. Seems to be a real good bang for the buck price/performance level. Also doesn't seem to be as big a jump quality-wise as D/A to Ultegra.

M
is your SRAM drivetrain noisy? ive test ridden a few SRAM rival bikes, and the rear derailleur seemed much noisier than shimano. im wondering if the bikes im test riding are not adjusted properly? however, they seem to shift pretty good, so im surprised that they are noisy. ive read also that SRAM cassettes are notorious for being noisy, is that true?

most recently test rode a Cervelo RS...very smooth. it felt pretty good and absorbed the road buzz really well on my 10 mile test ride.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #19479
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Nice to see some racing photos from inmates. I've got my first crit of the year on Wed (30 minute, parking lot race). No idea how it will go. The majority of my training has been in the crossfit gym. Lifting, box jumps, medicine ball stuff. I've also XC skied a fair amount over the winter so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've cut 19lbs since thanksgiving.

Riding with a buddy (who has been riding all winter) it's been fairly easy to drop him without my HR spiking but my legs feel like bricks.

I've got three crits before a roubaix style road race in Durango toward the end of April. The roubaix race is weird, a 25 mile loop on Old Fort Lewis College campus. The 4s are only doing one lap so it's not a huge challenge unless there is a bunch of climbing. I ride a heavy lugged steel schwinn paramount so it should be fun.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #19480
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Nice to see some racing photos from inmates. I've got my first crit of the year on Wed (30 minute, parking lot race). No idea how it will go. The majority of my training has been in the crossfit gym. Lifting, box jumps, medicine ball stuff. I've also XC skied a fair amount over the winter so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've cut 19lbs since thanksgiving.

Riding with a buddy (who has been riding all winter) it's been fairly easy to drop him without my HR spiking but my legs feel like bricks.

I've got three crits before a roubaix style road race in Durango toward the end of April. The roubaix race is weird, a 25 mile loop on Old Fort Lewis College campus. The 4s are only doing one lap so it's not a huge challenge unless there is a bunch of climbing. I ride a heavy lugged steel schwinn paramount so it should be fun.
Oooh post up pics of the Paramount.

Oh, and about the SRAM drivetrain: sorta. More often than not, I can't hear it over the wind noise.

I've got a mix of SRAM and Shimano cassettes with KMC and SRAM chains, so there's no 'full SRAM' drivetrain. The KMC seems a little louder than the SRAM stuff and seems to be louder when the lube starts to wear off.

M
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #19481
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

19 degrees this morning, only lasted 2 hours before frosty toes set in. I did find something to draft that I could keep up with on the SS and pass on the downhill. His tires were knobbier than mine

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #19482
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,959
50 minute 3/4 crit today. 45 degrees and headwind on the back straight but relatively flat. 5 guys got into a solid break about halfway through and worked like a well-oiled machine until the finish. The rest of us in the main pack (15 total) were racing for 6th. We cut the break down to 9 seconds at one time when I got on the front but no one else wanted to work together. We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes. Ah well, Rock Hill next weekend. Love that place.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #19483
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes.
You'll never get them to do it. Everyone thinks they are the big sprinter and refuse to do anything saving themselves for the big finally.

A few years back I took off the front and one guy went with me and when I motioned for him to pull thru he said NO, I'm working for so and so I told him no free rides chump and I sat up.

Tell me, how can you not possibly NOT want to stay away. Staying away forces the OTHER teams to chase allowing your guys to sit in plus it gives you a chance to at least get 2nd!

That evening I posted a comment on our teams blog about guys who just sit in when off the front in a break. No names, events or teams mentioned. The guy was so miffed at me he made a huge deal about it and posted a stupid rant implicating himself as the numbnut I was complaining about!!

2 summers ago I solo'd off the front right from the start. My team mate sat in an enjoyed the free ride. We went 1-2 as he won the final sprint. Last year I did the same thing and another team mate and I went 1-2 again at a different race.

Sad? Both races were hilly with hill top finishes and they let a 200 pound clydesdale win both times! (masters)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #19484
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
50 minute 3/4 crit today. 45 degrees and headwind on the back straight but relatively flat. 5 guys got into a solid break about halfway through and worked like a well-oiled machine until the finish. The rest of us in the main pack (15 total) were racing for 6th. We cut the break down to 9 seconds at one time when I got on the front but no one else wanted to work together. We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes. Ah well, Rock Hill next weekend. Love that place.

I hated that, dumdasses wouldn't chase. If you do it yourself you are shot for the finish.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #19485
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 887
The weather here for the last two weeks has flat-out sucked. Solid rain punctuated by 60 mph winds and thunderstorms dumping 2 in. of hail. Gave the MTB a once over today, cleaned and repacked the wheel and headset bearings. Good thing too, the bottom headset bearing cage was busted and there were a couple of bearings missing. I was able to scavenge a replacement from the carcass of the old Raleigh. Due to weather, most all the unpaved trails are solid mud/water so I put the road wheels and fenders on the CX. Gonna get out tomorrow come Hell or high water!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: