Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #19471
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
I just blast 'em with water. I've been using Gore cables for so long...they need no maintenance at all and last for years (or decades).
Oh the Venerable Ride-On cables, One of the many "Klein tricks"...

They use to have such a bad reputation, But as usual the problem was "on the other side of the Wrench" Gore cables rule, even the ones from the brakes are useful (tri bikes and sweat loves them too)

Quote:
In fact the only part of my bikes that gets any attention is the chain...I do just enough to keep it from squeaking or rusting.
Well senor you already have the belt thing going, now figure out a G-boxx configuration and you dependence on Oil (chain oil at least) will be over
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #19472
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,857
You know, after doing a lot of bike-commuting on my 50lb Electra Ultra Classic, climbing into the cockpit of my racing bicycle (an '86 Medici Pro Strada) is such a rush. OH YEAH BEBEH!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #19473
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Oh the Venerable Ride-On cables, One of the many "Klein tricks"...

They use to have such a bad reputation, But as usual the problem was "on the other side of the Wrench" Gore cables rule, even the ones from the brakes are useful (tri bikes and sweat loves them too)

Well senor you already have the belt thing going, now figure out a G-boxx configuration and you dependence on Oil (chain oil at least) will be over
I think Gore was right. I've heard lots of "horror stories" about them but suspect that not enough attention was paid at setup. I still have them on an RB-1 that I setup in 1995 or so and until two years ago, it was my go-to bike since then.

Belts are for my commuter and my cyclocross bike where the consequences of breaking one are minimal (not that I've had any trouble with it). I still don't think I'm ready to put one on my MTB. I'm running a 2x6 on the 29er and reckon it'll stay like that for quite a while.

a G-boxx would be sweet though. not that I have the time to build one.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #19474
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,974

A few years ago I disassembled a Poprad Canti and sold the F/F then put most of the parts on a C-dale Caad9. I placed the Canti's in a box for safe keeping. Last night I pulled the box out to put them on the repaired X0 only to find out there are only 3!!! I search for 1.5 hours, no 4th canti

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #19475
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post

We use water to wash every bike we tune at my shop in Bogota to the point we even build a "Wash Station" with warm and cold water hoses and also a sprinklers system to "Pre-Wash" the really dirty bikes.

We never Ever found a problem, I do need to point out the bikes where taken apart to bare bones (All the bikes got "Full teardowns" every time) a few minutes later so no corrosion issues where ever encounter.

I have use the same "wet" system since forever and never had a problem, including all my FatChance's and other prone to rust steel wonders

I learn About the Lemon Pledge trick working at the "fanciest" and most Hype-up (what a joke that was) shop in san Francisco call City Cycle (in the marina district), When I was doing most of the $250 overhauls (A task my EX-Cafe de Colombia mechanics use to perform in Colombia for $13dollars and to make it even more painful using Campagnolo grease) in any case City cycle did not even have a proper work room or anything habitable for that matter, except a 6,2feet high Dungeon with no ventilation, so the only way to clean the bikes was to use lemon Pledge.

As a side note, I did get in trouble a few times with pledge when the "Posser" stickers (from the death ride or something) got erase by the chemicals so be careful

ps - I don't have access to a hose....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #19476
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
so it's time to show off a bit...
my new toy for extrem offroad abuse.

Sometime later i might add couple of actionpics....
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #19477
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post
so it's time to show off a bit...
my new toy for extrem offroad abuse.

Sometime later i might add couple of actionpics....
Nice bike and great photograph! I would love to see some action pics of that quality!

Ryan
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #19478
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,441
Fixes anyone?

nsfw..http://www.thefixfixfix.com/fix/index.php/galleries/

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #19479
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
So, I'm gonna ask the collective here....

About 3 years ago, I wanted a better road bike. I was on an old Schwinn Supersport at the time, something with nice heavy chrome headstem shifters and all that jazz. Great vintage bike in excellent condition, and I wish I hadn't sold it, but anyway....

Off to ebay I went, as well as some LBC's, and I collected myself a pair of Sti shifters, ALEX 330 wheels, a shimano 105 groupset (old, though, with a biopace crankset), and a 2006 Cannondale Optimo SI, size 56. All in all, the build cost me less than 500 bucks.

Fast forward to about fall 2009, I made the mistake of parking and locking up overnight where I shouldn't have, and found my bike the next morning without a rear wheel, seat, chain, cassette....basically the whole ass end.
Out of dismay, it's sat in unfinished condition since then.

I've now got the motivation, but not much cash to fix it up. I've bought some wheels, (Shimano WH-R500 with Conti GP4000 tires) and just bought a used Ultegra cassette.

here's where I need some help: I'm running low on money, and need to get myself a 9 speed chain, and want to upgrade the chainring and cranks from that old bio-pace thing. My shifters are for a triple....

Where should I look for some good/budget items, or better yet, second hand? (especially for the triple crank?)

Thanks in advance, and I'll be posting pictures when I can.
This was posted in the "show us your bicycle" thread.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #19480
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
That's a way to start the day. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #19481
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 942
Thanks for reposting in the right place, Ducnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
This was posted in the "show us your bicycle" thread.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #19482
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,690
Back when I worked the Coors Classic we would see all the teams drive up the local-for-day car wash and put every team bike in the stall, and commence with the hot soapy water.
Then back to the traveling shop, the mechanics would tear each and every bike down to the stickers to re-lube and clean every moving part. That was great stuff to watch and learn from.
I didn't get to cleaning the bike last night. I got home too late and making dinner took until 7:30. (Chicken Pot Pie), using up the left-overs.

Maybe next week I'll have time to experiment a little.
I think the bearings are all fine I just need to hose off the frame and de-grit the chain a bit. All that riding by the ocean leaves a load of sand stuck in places.

Oh, and a couple of funnies;
Saturday when we were riding back along the beach in Newport, this drunk is up in front of us a good bit clowning on a mtb, he rides off the path into the beach sand expecting to ride.

Didn't work. Bike front wheel hits the beach, stops. Sinks. Drunk is pitched over the bars onto his helmetless head in the sand. Being a good drunk he bounced right up laughing, re-mounted and off he went. I'm sure he woke up Sunday morning feeling somewhat used.

Then Tuesday on my ride I finally hit one of the suicidal squirrels that live along the path. They decide for some reason to run across the path as close to the front wheel as possible. I think it's a game with them. These fat little bastards will just about flip a bike, (maybe that 29'er ain't such a bad idea after all?).

I hit one of the pack of three running between my wheels. He seemed to roll pretty good and run off so I suppose he too is sore from the encounter with 200 pounds of blubber running at 22 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
I used to do that too. Back in the day, you HAD to repack the bearings. Jeez, I remember some races at Canaan where we had to replace BB's after a couple of laps. I've NEVER had to do that with a King bearing...thank jeebus.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #19483
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
I have a question for you guys...

Why are used Downhill bikes soo exspensive!?!?!? I mean they cost alot to begin with but then they get the shit beat out of them and still cost alot of money!? 90% of the motorcycles I have owned have been cheaper than a used DH bike.

I was just looking around at prices, I do alot of mtbiking and thought i might want to try the DH thing. There are a few mtns near me that have trails and I thought it looks super fun! but I cant believe the cost. so my plan as of now is to atleast go and rent a DH bike sometime this summer and see how much$$ I like it hahaha.
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #19484
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

A few years ago I disassembled a Poprad Canti and sold the F/F then put most of the parts on a C-dale Caad9. I placed the Canti's in a box for safe keeping. Last night I pulled the box out to put them on the repaired X0 only to find out there are only 3!!! I search for 1.5 hours, no 4th canti
What kind?

I have a few pairs of OnZa HOs I could part with if you need something.

I'm thinking about going to a new-fangled canti on the Crosshairs and giving up on the Shimanos. IDK which ones they are, but they're adjustable. I'd hafta google it up. 'Soon.'

M
Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #19485
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I have a question for you guys...

Why are used Downhill bikes soo exspensive!?!?!? I mean they cost alot to begin with but then they get the shit beat out of them and still cost alot of money!? 90% of the motorcycles I have owned have been cheaper than a used DH bike.

I was just looking around at prices, I do alot of mtbiking and thought i might want to try the DH thing. There are a few mtns near me that have trails and I thought it looks super fun! but I cant believe the cost. so my plan as of now is to atleast go and rent a DH bike sometime this summer and see how much$$ I like it hahaha.
Dude at Skirack in Burlington, VT said that rentals are available right there at the slope. I don't recall which park(s) he mentioned, though. For what they cost and their limited use, that's what I'd do.

And, good GAWD is that a nice shop! Definitely the nicest shop I've ever been in. Super-friendly and helpful staff, which is rare in a large store.

If you happen to make it over to Burlington, definitely eat at American Flatbread Company. It's the best pizza I've ever had. Nice atmosphere, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: