Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post

Fyxomatosis can be interesting also

as well as the Daily Distraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What kind?

I have a few pairs of OnZa HOs I could part with if you need something.

M

I dug for 2 days and found it in a box of pedals, must have been stuck to one of the pedals when I tossed them in the box. Sad part is, I checked that box twice and still missed it!!

The bike is ready for a chain and bar tape then good to go. The only thing I don't like is the Singulaltor pulls down on the chain and not up to get more wrap on the rear cog. I hope the chain is pretty tight to begin with.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #19488
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I have a question for you guys...

Why are used Downhill bikes soo exspensive!?!?!? I mean they cost alot to begin with but then they get the shit beat out of them and still cost alot of money!? 90% of the motorcycles I have owned have been cheaper than a used DH bike.

I was just looking around at prices, I do alot of mtbiking and thought i might want to try the DH thing. There are a few mtns near me that have trails and I thought it looks super fun! but I cant believe the cost. so my plan as of now is to atleast go and rent a DH bike sometime this summer and see how much$$ I like it hahaha.
I can't speak for everyone but the guys I know with DH rigs keep them in IMMACULATE shape! When things break the rider doesn't fair well. They keep their shit in basically new condition. May be one reason.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #19489
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,056
I just pre-Order a season pass for DeerValley (Utah) mountain "Ski"/Lift mountain bike season for $290

Perfect opportunity to dust off all my Balfa's and maybe even the Nicolai (I never been there during the summer, so maybe the M-pire is "To Much" for the runs) and a great opportunity to test the "All you can eat" abilities of the santa cruz Nomad too
Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #19490
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I can't speak for everyone but the guys I know with DH rigs keep them in IMMACULATE shape! When things break the rider doesn't fair well. They keep their shit in basically new condition. May be one reason.
you're right. everytime i'm out on the trail, i regrease all the bearings afterwards. Every 5 days of racing my fork gets a service.
Dh bikes need to be treated like factory-mx-machines.

And in additon, these bikes are so overbuild, stable, that it's nearly impossible to break the frame.
But i might add, that DH is expensive, in general. Spareparts are expensive. Shutteling the bikes up the hill is expensive. Pretty sad, but the fun's worth the expens
DasMatti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #19491
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:

Why are used Downhill bikes soo exspensive!?!?!? I mean they cost alot to begin with but then they get the shit beat out of them and still cost alot of money!? 90% of the motorcycles I have owned have been cheaper than a used DH bike.

I was just looking around at prices, I do alot of mtbiking and thought i might want to try the DH thing. There are a few mtns near me that have trails and I thought it looks super fun! but I cant believe the cost. so my plan as of now is to atleast go and rent a DH bike sometime this summer and see how much$$ I like it hahaha.
The way I see it...

I will never be able to afford a 900RR/HPN "GS" Dakar bike, One because they cost a shitload of money, second because they will not sell them to you even if you have the casholla, So a really high end "Anything bicycle" is the second best thing (If you want to compare them to motorcycles), and Then Downhill bikes have "No Bullshit" tolerance because is no marketing machinery that is going to prevent you from breaking a frame in half, Yes most cheapo company's just over-build them to keep the cheap but the really hard core ones are always searching how to make them work better, more bulletproof (G-boxx bike for example) and last longer.

Hell ONE HOPE six piston brake caliper (One of the best brakes in the market) cost $350 with a "Floating rotor" so just keep counting, $100 for a king headset, $70 for a strong seat post.... well you get the idea.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #19492
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
hei ricardo,
do you ride dh yourself?
you've got good knowledge of whats going on, in the sport.
DasMatti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #19493
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
So this lady comes in and finishes paying for her Xenith T2. Dropped ANOTHER $6788 on top of her deposit.

M
Old 03-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #19494
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Finished!!!

and made it a full 31 miles of hills without breaking again

Functionally Fugly...

Repaired joint

Repaired chain stay

Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #19495
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post
hei ricardo,
do you ride dh yourself?
Yes and No, In like I ride it like a "PussyGuss", Many years ago I was pretty fast and strong and I even represent the country I grow up in some "world cUp" races, So years later I decide to get back into the sport by purchasing really fancy equipment (Mid life crisis I guess) to overcome all the years of not racing, Well it did not work out I just don't have the balls and or the skills anymore (In fact I don't think I ever did, to ride they way they are suppose to be ridden this days)

To compare to motorcycle terms racing downhill full speed is like doing the Enduro of Elzeberg, nothing less, Is a big deal
Quote:
you've got good knowledge of whats going on, in the sport.
I drop off the Knowledge pool about 3 years ago, I just got to frustrated about been so slow, skill-less and scare (I still ride a lot, do drops, etc, but don't jump of Houses or clear 10meter gaps)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #19496
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Retro Junk, any one need any?

I have a bunch of retro Junk, if any one needs any. I have some 8 speed stuff like XT rapidfire shifter pods, DX V-brakes in bright red and two 2 finger DX red levers (both rights), Plenty of 1" & 1-1/8" quill stems, 8 speed bar end shifters, cassettes, rock ring for a 48 tooth sprocket 110 bolt (road compact or old school mtb) A bunch of old 8 speed grip shifters, 4 pairs of Suntour Symetric Down Tube Shifters for a steel frame, 8 speed Campy shifters (one record, one chorus). Campy 9 speed cassettes and one campy square taper BB. A pair of the original Shimano mtb spd's that seem to use a slightly different cleat. Girvin Vector 2 fork 1-1/8" Girvin quill flex stem and some more misc junk.

Newer...

Bontrager 175mm 4 bolt single speed crank (and I think BB) barely used.
1-1/8" suspension corrected rigid fork for 26", disc brake only.
Saint rapid rise rear derailer

If you are interested in anything, send me a pm

Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #19497
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I have a bunch of retro Junk, if any one needs any. I have some 8 speed stuff like XT rapidfire shifter pods, DX V-brakes in bright red and two 2 finger DX red levers (both rights), Plenty of 1" & 1-1/8" quill stems, 8 speed bar end shifters, cassettes, rock ring for a 48 tooth sprocket 110 bolt (road compact or old school mtb) A bunch of old 8 speed grip shifters, 4 pairs of Suntour Symetric Down Tube Shifters for a steel frame, 8 speed Campy shifters (one record, one chorus). Campy 9 speed cassettes and one campy square taper BB. A pair of the original Shimano mtb spd's that seem to use a slightly different cleat. Girvin Vector 2 fork 1-1/8" Girvin quill flex stem and some more misc junk.

Newer...

Bontrager 175mm 4 bolt single speed crank (and I think BB) barely used.
1-1/8" suspension corrected rigid fork for 26", disc brake only.
Saint rapid rise rear derailer

If you are interested in anything, send me a pm
I will like your 8speed rapidfire's, how much do you want for them....
Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #19498
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:

Like what was said above, they usually are pretty well maintained. Although I have seen a few that were totally beat.

In motorcycle terms, a new dirtbike is about $6000, I figure a comparable MTB is about $750. Think about all the stuff you have to change to even be able to ride a dirt bike in the woods, you would have to do about the same to a $750 MTB. Dirt bikes come setup pretty well from the factory but I put about another $3k in my bike before I even take it into the woods (skid plates, rad gurads, handle bars, bark busters, tune the carb and remove useless smog crap, get the suspension setup to my weight, etc...). To take a dirt bike to Pro level, they dump about $10-20,000 in the suspension and probaly about the same amount in the motor. So figure a pro level morotcycle runs about $30-50,000.
Most pro MTB XC rides cost about $4-8,000. DH rigs are about $5-10,000 for a pro level ride. .
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #19499
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,875
Did you propose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So this lady comes in and finishes paying for her Xenith T2. Dropped ANOTHER $6788 on top of her deposit.

M
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #19500
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Did you propose?
I did actually. Right after her husband left.

Not only rides, but loves to cook as well.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: