ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 514 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #19486
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
It' like winter here in CT. 27 degrees, going up to 40 if we're lucky. We are going to just suck it up and go out for 30 or so. Might as well use that cold weather gear...
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #19487
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
You'll never get them to do it. Everyone thinks they are the big sprinter and refuse to do anything saving themselves for the big finally.


A few years back I took off the front and one guy went with me and when I motioned for him to pull thru he said NO, I'm working for so and so I told him no free rides chump and I sat up.

Tell me, how can you not possibly NOT want to stay away. Staying away forces the OTHER teams to chase allowing your guys to sit in plus it gives you a chance to at least get 2nd!

That evening I posted a comment on our teams blog about guys who just sit in when off the front in a break. No names, events or teams mentioned. The guy was so miffed at me he made a huge deal about it and posted a stupid rant implicating himself as the numbnut I was complaining about!!

2 summers ago I solo'd off the front right from the start. My team mate sat in an enjoyed the free ride. We went 1-2 as he won the final sprint. Last year I did the same thing and another team mate and I went 1-2 again at a different race.

Sad? Both races were hilly with hill top finishes and they let a 200 pound clydesdale win both times! (masters)


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I hated that, dumdasses wouldn't chase. If you do it yourself you are shot for the finish.
Yep, it seems to be a universal and unfortunate truth trying to get others to work toward a common goal. I felt that I had the legs to bridge across to the break, but I just don't think I could have sustained it with those guys. Once they got themselves organized, they were making time on us every lap. I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #19488
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
Cruise intervals: Z4-5a for 3 x Xmin. I'm doing 3 x 10min now. Basically its bridging training. 3min rest at Z2 in the middle

Well, I WAS doing 3 x 10min. After this cold gets thru with me, I may wanna reset to a few weeks ago at 3 x 6min.



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #19489
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Cruise intervals: Z4-5a for 3 x Xmin. I'm doing 3 x 10min now. Basically its bridging training. 3min rest at Z2 in the middle

Well, I WAS doing 3 x 10min. After this cold gets thru with me, I may wanna reset to a few weeks ago at 3 x 6min.



M
Yep, intervals are my next step. I ride/race with a power meter and it has helped immensely with documenting my training and results.

Hope you knock that crap out soon.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #19490
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yep, intervals are my next step. I ride/race with a power meter and it has helped immensely with documenting my training and results.

Hope you knock that crap out soon.
I think its gonna get worse afore it gets better.

I'll recover, but its gonna be tough.



I was all set to have a peak for mid-April's races too! That's gonna be more like a lump than an actual peak now.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #19491
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I think its gonna get worse afore it gets better.

I'll recover, but its gonna be tough.



I was all set to have a peak for mid-April's races too! That's gonna be more like a lump than an actual peak now.

M
Maybe some of our races will coincide and we can grab a beer or three afterward. Always good to make new cycling friends.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #19492
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yep, it seems to be a universal and unfortunate truth trying to get others to work toward a common goal. I felt that I had the legs to bridge across to the break, but I just don't think I could have sustained it with those guys. Once they got themselves organized, they were making time on us every lap. I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
Two words Moto pacing. You will go harder than you could by your self. plus it puts more speed in the legs.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #19493
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Two words Moto pacing. You will go harder than you could by your self. plus it puts more speed in the legs.
I've done a little of that for some guys. I was on my RT. Tough getting the big bike(s) to go that slow.

Ya need something small like a small scooter or a 250 Rebel to do it 'right.'

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #19494
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've done a little of that for some guys. I was on my RT. Tough getting the big bike(s) to go that slow.

Ya need something small like a small scooter or a 250 Rebel to do it 'right.'

M
Yep we had a honda elite, my wife could hold a steady pace for 20-30 min, the other nice thing about that bike was you could switch between mph/kph. she did great. We've got a honda sliverwing ,she is great on it too. It's harder to find flatish roads here than in Va Bch though.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 08:29 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #19495
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Yep we had a honda elite, my wife could hold a steady pace for 20-30 min, the other nice thing about that bike was you could switch between mph/kph. she did great. We've got a honda sliverwing ,she is great on it too. It's harder to find flatish roads here than in Va Bch though.

The wife says she's going to pace me on the Transalp which should be interesting with the muffler right under my nose! SHould be better than that tractor.

Did 2+ hours on the single speed CX bike Saturday and 3 hours yesterday on the single speed mtb. For some reason I couldn't get a good spin-up for the switchbacks and felt like a slug. I did feel good in that it was my 1st off-road ride since the spinal fusion and I made every climb and all but one switch back when a geared bike stalled me.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #19496
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The wife says she's going to pace me on the Transalp which should be interesting with the muffler right under my nose! SHould be better than that tractor.

Did 2+ hours on the single speed CX bike Saturday and 3 hours yesterday on the single speed mtb. For some reason I couldn't get a good spin-up for the switchbacks and felt like a slug. I did feel good in that it was my 1st off-road ride since the spinal fusion and I made every climb and all but one switch back when a geared bike stalled me.

Very nice, congrats on the recovery!

I have motor-paced behind liquor-cycles but not intentionally for a workout....
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #19497
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Very nice, congrats on the recovery!

I have motor-paced behind liquor-cycles but not intentionally for a workout....
Help an old man out, what are liquor-cycles?
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #19498
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Help an old man out, what are liquor-cycles?
Around my neck of the woods, we have an over-abundance of DWI offenders. After conviction and subsequent license revocation/suspension, the only thing they are allowed to "drive" is a scooter with less than 50cc's of displacement and speed no greater than 35mph. Depending on the time of day there are a dozen or more putting around our fair town. I always find it fun to keep pace with them from a stoplight until I either get bored, or pass them on a hill (up or down... ). Most of them are on the heavy side, so the scooters can barely get to 30 on a flat. I've seen tractors in the country doing better highway speeds.

This is two of my teammates liquor-cycle pacing outside Butner, NC. I'm taking the pic if that tells you the pace we were moving...

__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.

Ridge screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 11:26 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #19499
volbeat22
n/a
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 773
I've dismantled the BMC 'cross bike, now to build the new road bike! Stealing parts from one to build the other.


volbeat22 screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 01:06 PM
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #19500
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,504
John Howard 152.2 mph land speed record, Car driven by Don Vesco


But I'm far more partial to real HPV's
__________________
Wanted: worn, ugly, cheap motorcycle cover for a big GS 1200
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015