Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 511 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #19501
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Around my neck of the woods, we have an over-abundance of DWI offenders. After conviction and subsequent license revocation/suspension, the only thing they are allowed to "drive" is a scooter with less than 50cc's of displacement and speed no greater than 35mph. Depending on the time of day there are a dozen or more putting around our fair town. I always find it fun to keep pace with them from a stoplight until I either get bored, or pass them on a hill (up or down... ). Most of them are on the heavy side, so the scooters can barely get to 30 on a flat. I've seen tractors in the country doing better highway speeds.

This is two of my teammates liquor-cycle pacing outside Butner, NC. I'm taking the pic if that tells you the pace we were moving...

Thats bloody awesome we dont get that privledge here in Ontario,Can. they just completely lose there license here. We do have alot of old people in my town that normally dont drive much faster then 40kph which isnt great but better then nothing. Do liquor cyclists get annoyed with the roadies.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #19502
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,543
Tech question

I am currently running Wilson 30x wheels that came shimano compatible. Over the course of the year, the cassette sprockets are starting to cut into the free hub (aluminum),. Noticed when cleaning everything.The standard hub is a FH6600 Ultegra.

I know that I can replace just the free hub body. Can I replace it with a DA titanium free hub body? I am not worried about weight, but hardness of the body. I'm sure being a heavy rider right now does not help, but I am willing to spend a little extra money for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #19503
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Around my neck of the woods, we have an over-abundance of DWI offenders. After conviction and subsequent license revocation/suspension, the only thing they are allowed to "drive" is a scooter with less than 50cc's of displacement and speed no greater than 35mph. Depending on the time of day there are a dozen or more putting around our fair town. I always find it fun to keep pace with them from a stoplight until I either get bored, or pass them on a hill (up or down... ). Most of them are on the heavy side, so the scooters can barely get to 30 on a flat. I've seen tractors in the country doing better highway speeds.

This is two of my teammates liquor-cycle pacing outside Butner, NC. I'm taking the pic if that tells you the pace we were moving...

I miss Cackalacky! I was born in High Point, raised in Hickory, spent my adulthood in RDU.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #19504
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Tech question

I am currently running Wilson 30x wheels that came shimano compatible. Over the course of the year, the cassette sprockets are starting to cut into the free hub (aluminum),. Noticed when cleaning everything.The standard hub is a FH6600 Ultegra.

I know that I can replace just the free hub body. Can I replace it with a DA titanium free hub body? I am not worried about weight, but hardness of the body. I'm sure being a heavy rider right now does not help, but I am willing to spend a little extra money for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
First take a large flat file and file any bumps that have formed down even with the top of the freehub body. Slide the cogs on and make sure they don't catch on any high spots.

Next, look up the torque rating for your lock ring on your cog set. I am willing to bet it is 40-45NM. Torque it to the correct torque. It is a lot tighter than you think. It should put an end to the cogs cutting in.

There is a similar phenomenon on motorcycle clutches. The clutches cut into the clutch basket. This is pretty much unavoidable. The thing to do is to leave that basket in there and file the bumps off so that the clutch moves smoothly. The spots where the clutch cut into the basket are now hardened and will not wear any further. It is the same thing with your freehub body. Just insure it is torqued properly, I have seen many mechanics simply tighten until snug and leave it.

I am not sure the DA freehub compatibility. If you are interested I have a interchangeability chart at work and I can look it up tomorrow.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #19505
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Thanks Trailer;

I did just that with a file and torqued the lock ring down to the proper spec.

Life goes on and thank you for all your help.

Joc
Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #19506
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
Thats bloody awesome we dont get that privledge here in Ontario,Can. they just completely lose there license here. We do have alot of old people in my town that normally dont drive much faster then 40kph which isnt great but better then nothing. Do liquor cyclists get annoyed with the roadies.
Not usually. Most of them get a laugh out of it but there are always a few that get annoyed and think they are being picked on.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #19507
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Tech question

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
Yer best bet is to get a cassette with an AL carrier.

I have several FH bodies with the teeth indentations in em. They haven't gotten any worse in the 20 years I've been riding them wheels, so I don't bother.

HTH

M
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #19508
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yer best bet is to get a cassette with an AL carrier.

I have several FH bodies with the teeth indentations in em. They haven't gotten any worse in the 20 years I've been riding them wheels, so I don't bother.

HTH

M
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #19509
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
is your SRAM drivetrain noisy? ive test ridden a few SRAM rival bikes, and the rear derailleur seemed much noisier than shimano. im wondering if the bikes im test riding are not adjusted properly? however, they seem to shift pretty good, so im surprised that they are noisy. ive read also that SRAM cassettes are notorious for being noisy, is that true?
Both, mine and her 'cross bikes have SRAM Apex derailleurs, cassettes, and 1091 chains. They're both quiet. My MTB has X0 and X7 derailleurs, Shimano cassette, and KMC XX chain. It, too, is quiet. I test rode another that had full Rival and it was quiet, as well. Nearly all the LBS employees' bikes are SRAM and have never heard any mention of noise. So, I don't know about their stuff being noisy.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #19510
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,167
Yep, just got a few miles on my schwinn, now with sram cassette/chain, x9 rear derailleur, X0 shifter. Quiet and quick shifts. And I really like the gripshift so far, after years of not giving it a chance. (well, not since 1997 or so).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #19511
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Ultegra used cost

I've been thinking about swapping the '11 ultegra stuff off my cross bike and running sram. has less than 100 miles on the stuff, anyone have an idea of what i could get for it?

(it being 2x10: fr derailleur, rear derailleur, both STI shifters, and cassette)?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #19512
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,504
Here is another link to "Hand Made Bicycle show with plenty of videos and interviews.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #19513
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Dood! I feel fat!

Holyhellfireshit! Talk about ripped legs!

M
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #19514
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,312
Here's my poor video taking skills from Sunday. I need to find a way to mount the camera so I don't have to ride with one hand

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #19515
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,504

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: