Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #19531
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Hmm

"How the hell do I clean this thing? What do I use to lube the chain?"

Cleaning = Hampter spooge. Lots of it.

Honda Polish works on everything right? Any chain lube will do.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #19532
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
How the hell do I clean this thing? What do I use to lube the chain?
What kind of bike are we talking about?

I try to limit the amount of water and soap that I use on my bike. I only lube my chain right after I degrease it and clean it. I like dry teflon lubes.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #19533
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
What do I use to lube the chain?"
Last week I used cooking oil because I couldn't find anything else

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #19534
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
chain maintenance - it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
How the hell do I clean this thing? What do I use to lube the chain?
From another site - shamelessly stolen:

Here is what the chain manufacturers say about chain cleaning, what to use and how to do it.
As you will see, there are some contradictory recommendations, namely the use of solvents.

SHIMANO:
- http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...faqs_0017.html
... it is recommended that the chain be sprayed with a citrus based degreaser and wiped clean making sure all of the dirt and grime is removed from the outer faces of the plates. It is recommended that the chain is dry before applying a drop of lubricant to each link.
- http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830682230.pdf
Clean regularly the chain with an appropriate chaincleaner. Never use alkali based or acid based solvents such as rust cleaners.

CAMPAGNOLO - http://www.campagnolo.com/repository..._Sprockets.pdf
Before lubricating, thoroughly clean the drive system (chain, sprocket set, chainrings and derailleur pulleys) with a brush or cloth saturated with an appropiate degreaser or detergent.

SRAM - http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/..._MTB_08_02.pdf
Clean dirty chains before oiling. Do not use any grease-dissolving (i.e. solvents) or acidic agents. Cleaning agent must be rinsed off after a few minutes with water. Apply oil after chain is completely dried.

KMC - http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service
- Clean your chain after each trip, especially after riding in the wet.
- Always use a piece of dry cloth to clean the chain and it's component parts.
- If neccesary, use an old toothbrush to clean between the plates.
- Do not forget the sprockets, front changer and derailleur pulleys.
- To remove mud or sand, use a bristle brush, if necessary with light soapy warm water.
- Never use acidic or alkali based detergents (such as rust cleaners), these agents can damage the chain and may cause breakage.
- NEVER EVER use a so-called'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain.
- Avoid the use of solvents, not only are these bad for the environment, they remove lubricant from the chain's bearing.

FSA - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downlo...e+Schedule.pdf
Couldn't find anything except this:
Recommended inspection and service intervals (for ceramic BB) are as follows:
* After drivetrain has been cleaned with solvents or been sprayed by water under high pressure.

WIPPERMANN- http://www.wippermann.com/data-live-...gue-2007-E.pdf
Cleaning (general knowledge for roller chains)
First of all, in order to clean a chain drive properly, the external rough dirt must be removed by means of a hard or steel brush.
Subsequently, the chain is rinsed in cleaning solvent, paraffin or diesel oil.
Furthermore, it is important to clean the inner parts of the chain. Therefore the chain is placed into paraffin, diesel oil or another solvent for approximately 24 hours in order to soak the dirt in the joints as well as the hardened lubrication remnants.
If the chain is moved several times back and forth in the solvent bath, joints will be thoroughly cleaned.
After the chain has been properly cleaned it should not make anymore scratching noises when the links are moved; if it does, the remaining dirt in the joints will form a grinding compound with the lubricating agent, which would destroy the chain very quickly.

ROHLOFF- http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/...hain_cleaning/
Particles already in the link can hardly be removed by any cleaning method (not even with ultrasonic waves). In order to prevent particles being transported into the link in the first place, the chain should be kept dry and clean on the outside by being wiped from time to time with an oily cloth. Additionally, sprockets, pulleys and chainrings should be kept clean as well because these parts are in direct contact with the rollers of the chain.
Only a very dirty chain should be cleaned intensively. We do not recommend any of the currently available chain cleaning devices because the liquids used normally have a very negative effect in the chain links. The links will not be free from particles after the application but the cleaning liquid will mix with the lubricant which in most cases destroys its lubricating feature. Therefore, before using a cleaning liquid, test it by mixing it with the lubricant you use.
We recommend cleaning liquids which do not have 100% degreasing effect, such as diesel or paraffin. Environmently more friendly are products based on modern washing-up liquids. They work quite well and can be easily washed out of the link with water.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #19535
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Thanks for the info

I use a biodegradable degreaser and a park chain cleaning tool that runs the chain through a solvent. Then a blast of air to remove all the fluids followed up with what ever I happen to have for chain lube at the time. Sometimes it's tranny fluid, marvel mystry oil (found when moved in) hypoi gear oil, etc. Then wipe it clean to keep it from attracting dirt. The lube needs to be inside, not outside.

The chains last a very long time before showing signs of wear and that includes riding in the Ohio Salt mines we call our highway system.

It is a Coincidence that I use wippermans, the only one to say using solvents and mechanical devices.

In all my years of riding, I only recall 2 chain failures

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #19536
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
In all my years of riding, I only recall 2 chain failures
That's 2 more than me. The only times I've had chain issues is when sticks reached up and grabbed em or something else wasn't adjusted right. Not the chain's fault.

Me? Spray the snot out of it with TriFlow and wipe it back down. I *may* clean the chain with solvent, etc 1x/year. Maybe.

M
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #19537
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
I also use the Park tool chain brush device. Fill it with clean Kerosene (same thing I use to clean the moto chain). Keeping your chain clean and free of sand, salt, dirt and other abrasives will ensure you are pedaling as efficiently as possible and extending the life of your drive train. For lube, I use Pedro's.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #19538
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

The bikes

Cannondale CAAD9 with SRAM Red 16.3lbs

Soma Juice Rigid 29'er SS or geared. (Right now SS)

Kona Explosif HT with SRAM X7 and Deda Steel

And the newest addition to my race arsenal are some carbon tubulars. Will shave a full pound of rotating mass from the CAAD:

Ridge screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 07:10 AM
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #19539
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,682
I've only ever broken one. That one was closing on 20 years old.
Of course it chose to go tits-up 5 miles from the car. At least there was some shade. Nice and hot day.
Pulled a link out and got it back together with a friends chain breaker, mine did not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That's 2 more than me. The only times I've had chain issues is when sticks reached up and grabbed em or something else wasn't adjusted right. Not the chain's fault.

Me? Spray the snot out of it with TriFlow and wipe it back down. I *may* clean the chain with solvent, etc 1x/year. Maybe.

M
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 12:53 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #19540
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
You guys are lucky. I've broken many chains. To be fair, most of them were on my trials bikes thanks to the SRAM Powerlink that the reps claimed "were the strongest link in the chain"

No bicycle riding today but I'm building them until 11AM and then I've been invited to take a tour of the Chris King facility.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #19541
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
You guys are lucky. I've broken many chains. To be fair, most of them were on my trials bikes thanks to the SRAM Powerlink that the reps claimed "were the strongest link in the chain"

No bicycle riding today but I'm building them until 11AM and then I've been invited to take a tour of the Chris King facility.
SRAM recalled a bunch of their power links for 10 speed chains. Look for an "M" or "N" on the link. Luckily, none of mine were affected.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/sram-issue...link#more-4039
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #19542
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
SRAM recalled a bunch of their power links for 10 speed chains. Look for an "M" or "N" on the link. Luckily, none of mine were affected.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/sram-issue...link#more-4039
I'm trying out the KMC 10sp stuff. Seems to be a chain so far.

M
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #19543
SteelCityADV
Anti-Chrome

Oddometer: 24
Specialized Crosstrail...besides the flats i get from the poor oem tires, I love the bike
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #19544
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
What kind of stand is that? It looks like the roller in back holds the wheel in place? A quick google search was unsuccessful -- this was the closest I found...and it's not very close:

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #19545
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan View Post
What kind of stand is that? It looks like the roller in back holds the wheel in place? A quick google search was unsuccessful -- this was the closest I found...and it's not very close:

Thanks.
Feedback Sports RAKK stand. I love it because it collapses flat and I can take it with me for races.

http://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sport.../dp/B000V4SU16

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: