Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #19546
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
You guys are lucky. I've broken many chains. To be fair, most of them were on my trials bikes thanks to the SRAM Powerlink that the reps claimed "were the strongest link in the chain"

No bicycle riding today but I'm building them until 11AM and then I've been invited to take a tour of the Chris King facility.
Nice a tour of Chris King facility Grab a couple of headsets while you are there,he makes some nice stuff. I have a one inch on one of my beaters and its been to hell and back but still works well. Just have to do a quick repack once in awhile.
I have had one chain failure before from what I can remember and it was on the MTB.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #19547
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Iconic bicycle designs through the ages in pictures
Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #19548
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That's 2 more than me. The only times I've had chain issues is when sticks reached up and grabbed em or something else wasn't adjusted right. Not the chain's fault.

One broke from chain suck but not all the way but I had no tool and eventually failed leaving me running to finish the race.

The other just flat out popped apart on a steep climb almost taking me knee out with it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #19549
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
That Berma is gorgeous.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #19550
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That Berma is gorgeous.
so is that Bob Jackson Trike. a friend of mine had a mid 1970s BJ frame, absolutely exquisite piece of workmanship, rode like you were on gliders, too. all campy neuvo record, sewups, etc.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #19551
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
SRAM recalled a bunch of their power links for 10 speed chains. Look for an "M" or "N" on the link. Luckily, none of mine were affected.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/sram-issue...link#more-4039
my chain breakage problems were on 8-sp SRAM chains in the late '90's. I've since switched back to Shimano and have never had another problem.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #19552
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,026
Years ago I always had bad luck with Sachs/Sedisport chains that would kink up for no reason, even on a couple of the new bikes I bought. I came to hate them and one day I was riding with this guy who was bragging about how great they were and that was all he'd run. Just as he was finishing his sales pitch his legs starting spinning wildly as his Sedisport chain rolled off the rear derailer and onto the ground

All my bikes have a Sram or Wipperman quick link and so far, none have ever failed, even when hauling my 200lb butt up hills on my single speeds.

My 640 recently snapped the inner plates of a chain accelerating away from a traffic signal, luckily it didn't wipe out my cases

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #19553
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,151
Quote:
I still don't get the Pederson.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #19554
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I still don't get the Pederson.

Oh man they are so amazing, here is a little History on the Mikael pedersen bicycles

I never own one of them my self, but I have work and ridden a few and they are amazing (From Originals, to cheap copies, to Incredible copies) really Soft but also Rigid, Yes I know contradictions but you find them all on this frames, not to mention they are almost a hundred years old, Mind blowing to say the least
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #19555
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,769
"Driver messes with the wrong bicyclist"

Link

Portland man faces charges in run-in with officer

A 68-year-old Portland man was accused of attempted second-degree assault Tuesday night in connection with an altercation involving a bicyclist.

It turns out the bike rider was a cop on his way to work.

The incident began about 6 a.m. when Sgt. Joe Santos -- who commutes to work on his bike -- was riding toward the city on Northwest Cornell Road, said Lt. Kelli Sheffer, the Portland Police Bureau's public information officer.

"He said he was riding along when a person in a SUV to the left of him came within inches of hitting him while passing him," Sheffer said. "It really freaked him out."

About Northwest 25th Avenue and Lovejoy Street, Santos pulled up to a stop sign.

And there, to his left, was the SUV.

"The SUV turns into Santos and almost hits him," Sheffer said. "About a block later, the driver stopped so suddenly that Santos had to veer into oncoming traffic. As he went around the SUV he slapped the vehicle to let the driver know he was there. The driver put the vehicle in reverse and attempted to hit Santos."

Sheffer said Santos hopped off his bike, grabbed it and ran to the sidewalk.

"The driver then put the car in drive and hit Santos bike," Sheffer said. "Santos had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit."

The driver sped off.

Santos, who remembered the vehicle's license plate called 9-1-1.

On Tuesday, police arrested Larry Fornshell at took him to jail.

"When I talked with Santos, he was not talking like a police officer," Sheffer said. "This really affected him."
---------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy your time in jail shit-for-brains.

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #19556
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Oh man they are so amazing, here is a little History on the Mikael pedersen bicycles

I never own one of them my self, but I have work and ridden a few and they are amazing (From Originals, to cheap copies, to Incredible copies) really Soft but also Rigid, Yes I know contradictions but you find them all on this frames, not to mention they are almost a hundred years old, Mind blowing to say the least
I will second that. I had a chance to ride one a few months ago and that was one very comfortable machine. Took a minute to get adjusted to the geometry of the bars, but once I figured it out, everything just felt "right". Very unique design and blew my preconceptions out of the water.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #19557
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Link

Portland man faces charges in run-in with officer

A 68-year-old Portland man was accused of attempted second-degree assault Tuesday night in connection with an altercation involving a bicyclist.

It turns out the bike rider was a cop on his way to work.

The incident began about 6 a.m. when Sgt. Joe Santos -- who commutes to work on his bike -- was riding toward the city on Northwest Cornell Road, said Lt. Kelli Sheffer, the Portland Police Bureau's public information officer.

"He said he was riding along when a person in a SUV to the left of him came within inches of hitting him while passing him," Sheffer said. "It really freaked him out."

About Northwest 25th Avenue and Lovejoy Street, Santos pulled up to a stop sign.

And there, to his left, was the SUV.

"The SUV turns into Santos and almost hits him," Sheffer said. "About a block later, the driver stopped so suddenly that Santos had to veer into oncoming traffic. As he went around the SUV he slapped the vehicle to let the driver know he was there. The driver put the vehicle in reverse and attempted to hit Santos."

Sheffer said Santos hopped off his bike, grabbed it and ran to the sidewalk.

"The driver then put the car in drive and hit Santos bike," Sheffer said. "Santos had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit."

The driver sped off.

Santos, who remembered the vehicle's license plate called 9-1-1.

On Tuesday, police arrested Larry Fornshell at took him to jail.

"When I talked with Santos, he was not talking like a police officer," Sheffer said. "This really affected him."
---------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy your time in jail shit-for-brains.

Hopefully shit for brains has his license removed for a very long time. They should make him do a graduated program where he starts out on a moped or better yet a bicycle so he gets a feeling of what it is like to be accosted by motorvehicles the same way he done to others. I am sure that is not the first time he has done this type of thing. Thank God the cyclist was not run down.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #19558
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

You guys should read the editorial in the April, 2011, issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. The editior, Dave Searle, is calling out for motorcyclists to encourage government officials to allow sharing of bike paths with the new electric motorcycles coming out. It's about the most ignorant editorial I've ever read. It's enough to make me want to cancel my subscription. As mentioned with the Portland incident, let me buzz Dave on a electric motorcycle while he's riding a bicycle. I think he'd change his view.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #19559
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,871
Here in OC, I've witnessed more than one gas-powered moped/whizzer/pocketbike/home made thing on the river trail I ride. No way to catch them as far as I can tell. Though last time I rode down the path there was a CHP no less parked in the shade watching the path.
I plan on switching to carrying my phone in a more handy place, (normally inside the backpack), so I can stop and call to report these incidents. some have been kids easily too young to be on motorized anything all without any form of gear.
The last guy was on a two-stroke bike, maybe 125 sans fairing, with clip-ons and rearsets, going like stink.
II know of a group of teens that live up the hill in the big houses, or at least one of them does that I've seen on the path with weed-whacker powered razor-type scooters. They were wearing skateboard helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You guys should read the editorial in the April, 2011, issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. The editior, Dave Searle, is calling out for motorcyclists to encourage government officials to allow sharing of bike paths with the new electric motorcycles coming out. It's about the most ignorant editorial I've ever read. It's enough to make me want to cancel my subscription. As mentioned with the Portland incident, let me buzz Dave on a electric motorcycle while he's riding a bicycle. I think he'd change his view.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #19560
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Here in OC, I've witnessed more than one gas-powered moped/whizzer/pocketbike/home made thing on the river trail I ride. No way to catch them as far as I can tell. Though last time I rode down the path there was a CHP no less parked in the shade watching the path.
I plan on switching to carrying my phone in a more handy place, (normally inside the backpack), so I can stop and call to report these incidents. some have been kids easily too young to be on motorized anything all without any form of gear.
The last guy was on a two-stroke bike, maybe 125 sans fairing, with clip-ons and rearsets, going like stink.
II know of a group of teens that live up the hill in the big houses, or at least one of them does that I've seen on the path with weed-whacker powered razor-type scooters. They were wearing skateboard helmets.

The worst I've witnessed was on a rail-trail, in southern IL. I could hear something coming that surely wasn't a bicycle. Around the bend comes a pickup truck cruising 50-ish. Scared the $hit out of me. It was a company truck with lettering all over it. Worse, yet, the trail was parallel to a highway. WTF?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: