User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #19591
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Nice to see some racing photos from inmates. I've got my first crit of the year on Wed (30 minute, parking lot race). No idea how it will go. The majority of my training has been in the crossfit gym. Lifting, box jumps, medicine ball stuff. I've also XC skied a fair amount over the winter so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've cut 19lbs since thanksgiving.

Riding with a buddy (who has been riding all winter) it's been fairly easy to drop him without my HR spiking but my legs feel like bricks.

I've got three crits before a roubaix style road race in Durango toward the end of April. The roubaix race is weird, a 25 mile loop on Old Fort Lewis College campus. The 4s are only doing one lap so it's not a huge challenge unless there is a bunch of climbing. I ride a heavy lugged steel schwinn paramount so it should be fun.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #19592
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Nice to see some racing photos from inmates. I've got my first crit of the year on Wed (30 minute, parking lot race). No idea how it will go. The majority of my training has been in the crossfit gym. Lifting, box jumps, medicine ball stuff. I've also XC skied a fair amount over the winter so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've cut 19lbs since thanksgiving.

Riding with a buddy (who has been riding all winter) it's been fairly easy to drop him without my HR spiking but my legs feel like bricks.

I've got three crits before a roubaix style road race in Durango toward the end of April. The roubaix race is weird, a 25 mile loop on Old Fort Lewis College campus. The 4s are only doing one lap so it's not a huge challenge unless there is a bunch of climbing. I ride a heavy lugged steel schwinn paramount so it should be fun.
Oooh post up pics of the Paramount.

Oh, and about the SRAM drivetrain: sorta. More often than not, I can't hear it over the wind noise.

I've got a mix of SRAM and Shimano cassettes with KMC and SRAM chains, so there's no 'full SRAM' drivetrain. The KMC seems a little louder than the SRAM stuff and seems to be louder when the lube starts to wear off.

M
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #19593
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
19 degrees this morning, only lasted 2 hours before frosty toes set in. I did find something to draft that I could keep up with on the SS and pass on the downhill. His tires were knobbier than mine

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #19594
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
50 minute 3/4 crit today. 45 degrees and headwind on the back straight but relatively flat. 5 guys got into a solid break about halfway through and worked like a well-oiled machine until the finish. The rest of us in the main pack (15 total) were racing for 6th. We cut the break down to 9 seconds at one time when I got on the front but no one else wanted to work together. We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes. Ah well, Rock Hill next weekend. Love that place.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #19595
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes.
You'll never get them to do it. Everyone thinks they are the big sprinter and refuse to do anything saving themselves for the big finally.

A few years back I took off the front and one guy went with me and when I motioned for him to pull thru he said NO, I'm working for so and so I told him no free rides chump and I sat up.

Tell me, how can you not possibly NOT want to stay away. Staying away forces the OTHER teams to chase allowing your guys to sit in plus it gives you a chance to at least get 2nd!

That evening I posted a comment on our teams blog about guys who just sit in when off the front in a break. No names, events or teams mentioned. The guy was so miffed at me he made a huge deal about it and posted a stupid rant implicating himself as the numbnut I was complaining about!!

2 summers ago I solo'd off the front right from the start. My team mate sat in an enjoyed the free ride. We went 1-2 as he won the final sprint. Last year I did the same thing and another team mate and I went 1-2 again at a different race.

Sad? Both races were hilly with hill top finishes and they let a 200 pound clydesdale win both times! (masters)

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #19596
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
50 minute 3/4 crit today. 45 degrees and headwind on the back straight but relatively flat. 5 guys got into a solid break about halfway through and worked like a well-oiled machine until the finish. The rest of us in the main pack (15 total) were racing for 6th. We cut the break down to 9 seconds at one time when I got on the front but no one else wanted to work together. We could have brought them back in, but it was like trying to herd cats getting those guys to work together. None of them had teammates in the break, so there was no reason not to bring them back. I just don't understand these guys sometimes. Ah well, Rock Hill next weekend. Love that place.

I hated that, dumdasses wouldn't chase. If you do it yourself you are shot for the finish.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #19597
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
The weather here for the last two weeks has flat-out sucked. Solid rain punctuated by 60 mph winds and thunderstorms dumping 2 in. of hail. Gave the MTB a once over today, cleaned and repacked the wheel and headset bearings. Good thing too, the bottom headset bearing cage was busted and there were a couple of bearings missing. I was able to scavenge a replacement from the carcass of the old Raleigh. Due to weather, most all the unpaved trails are solid mud/water so I put the road wheels and fenders on the CX. Gonna get out tomorrow come Hell or high water!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #19598
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
It' like winter here in CT. 27 degrees, going up to 40 if we're lucky. We are going to just suck it up and go out for 30 or so. Might as well use that cold weather gear...
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #19599
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
You'll never get them to do it. Everyone thinks they are the big sprinter and refuse to do anything saving themselves for the big finally.

A few years back I took off the front and one guy went with me and when I motioned for him to pull thru he said NO, I'm working for so and so I told him no free rides chump and I sat up.

Tell me, how can you not possibly NOT want to stay away. Staying away forces the OTHER teams to chase allowing your guys to sit in plus it gives you a chance to at least get 2nd!

That evening I posted a comment on our teams blog about guys who just sit in when off the front in a break. No names, events or teams mentioned. The guy was so miffed at me he made a huge deal about it and posted a stupid rant implicating himself as the numbnut I was complaining about!!

2 summers ago I solo'd off the front right from the start. My team mate sat in an enjoyed the free ride. We went 1-2 as he won the final sprint. Last year I did the same thing and another team mate and I went 1-2 again at a different race.

Sad? Both races were hilly with hill top finishes and they let a 200 pound clydesdale win both times! (masters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I hated that, dumdasses wouldn't chase. If you do it yourself you are shot for the finish.
Yep, it seems to be a universal and unfortunate truth trying to get others to work toward a common goal. I felt that I had the legs to bridge across to the break, but I just don't think I could have sustained it with those guys. Once they got themselves organized, they were making time on us every lap. I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #19600
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
Cruise intervals: Z4-5a for 3 x Xmin. I'm doing 3 x 10min now. Basically its bridging training. 3min rest at Z2 in the middle

Well, I WAS doing 3 x 10min. After this cold gets thru with me, I may wanna reset to a few weeks ago at 3 x 6min.

M
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #19601
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Cruise intervals: Z4-5a for 3 x Xmin. I'm doing 3 x 10min now. Basically its bridging training. 3min rest at Z2 in the middle

Well, I WAS doing 3 x 10min. After this cold gets thru with me, I may wanna reset to a few weeks ago at 3 x 6min.

M
Yep, intervals are my next step. I ride/race with a power meter and it has helped immensely with documenting my training and results.

Hope you knock that crap out soon.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #19602
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yep, intervals are my next step. I ride/race with a power meter and it has helped immensely with documenting my training and results.

Hope you knock that crap out soon.
I think its gonna get worse afore it gets better.

I'll recover, but its gonna be tough.

I was all set to have a peak for mid-April's races too! That's gonna be more like a lump than an actual peak now.

M
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #19603
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I think its gonna get worse afore it gets better.

I'll recover, but its gonna be tough.

I was all set to have a peak for mid-April's races too! That's gonna be more like a lump than an actual peak now.

M
Maybe some of our races will coincide and we can grab a beer or three afterward. Always good to make new cycling friends.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #19604
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Yep, it seems to be a universal and unfortunate truth trying to get others to work toward a common goal. I felt that I had the legs to bridge across to the break, but I just don't think I could have sustained it with those guys. Once they got themselves organized, they were making time on us every lap. I really need to do some V02 max work to bridge and sustain pace.
Two words Moto pacing. You will go harder than you could by your self. plus it puts more speed in the legs.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #19605
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Two words Moto pacing. You will go harder than you could by your self. plus it puts more speed in the legs.
I've done a little of that for some guys. I was on my RT. Tough getting the big bike(s) to go that slow.

Ya need something small like a small scooter or a 250 Rebel to do it 'right.'

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: