Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #19606
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The race is still going to happen but the organizer was forced to make some serious concessions.

Short story is that an antique shop has its storefront on one of the streets being closed for the crit. The store owner claims that he was never asked about the effect of street closure on his business and petitioned city council to either cancel the race, or move it off his street. He was busted on the point of not being asked about planning for the race when printed emails surfaced in the meeting and he was proved to have declined the request.

He started fighting the race when he found out the city's annual pottery festival is happening the same weekend (the festival and race cross weekends once every 7 years). He claimed he would lose $1500 in sales that day, so the race organizer decided to pay him the money and offer a raffle to the participants for gift cards to his store. The race organizer combined fields to shorten the race day, set up a shuttle to get customers to the antique store, arranged for a truck to haul anything customers may buy back to their cars and coordinated with a scout troop to offer assistance crossing the street for anyone that may feel nervous with the pace car and races going on.

The shop owner did not concede and still fought it. The final showdown was last night and the city council voted to keep the race as-is. They also scolded the store owner for declining the request to be part of the planning committee for the race.
The race organizer was going to do ALL that. and the shop owner declined .now that's an asshole.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #19607
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Where is your race?
Gallup NM http://www.dawntilduskrace.com/

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #19608
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Out for a little spin yesterday...

Down the road with my buddy Mark:

"Honest, Officer, I was sticking to the speed limit..."

Beautiful scenery, frequently interrupted by ugly spandex-clad morons on bikes:

Glam shot. Let's see if I'm still smiling by Sunday night:
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #19609
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
The race organizer was going to do ALL that. and the shop owner declined .now that's an asshole.
In his email to the race organizer (which was read aloud by a city council member) , the store owner called it "hush money" and wrote a very nasty return email to the organizer.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #19610
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
my kid's retro steel roadie, he busted the back rim (a vintage mavic 700c 36h). a friend said he can spoke him up a new rim on the same wheel, and suggested a Mavic SuperPro, except yeow, thats a $70+ rim :-/ I found the similar Mavic Super Sport 36H in silver runs about half that price, anyone know if these are any good? Or want to suggest another economical but reasonably light 36H rim with a traditional box section (not deep V) for a retro late 70s roadbike?
They really don't make traditional box-section rims any more. Least nothing decent. Best you're gonna do is go with that Mavic OR get something cheap from J&B. You can get an entire wheel from J&B (a wholesaler) for the price of one Mavic rim.

Me? For a college kid? Go cheap. UNLESS he's actually *riding* the bike.

HTH

M
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #19611
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
In his email to the race organizer (which was read aloud by a city council member) , the store owner called it "hush money" and wrote a very nasty return email to the organizer.
'Cantankerous' doesn't quite cover it... the guy's a complete a-hole! Did a cyclist murder his pet goldfish or something??
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #19612
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Everybody go check out shirt.woot.com today (4/7/11)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #19613
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Everybody go check out shirt.woot.com today (4/7/11)
Bwahahaha, did you read the first couple of paragraphs in the description?

Quote:
It takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round. And what one person likes plenty of other people will find flawed. Art is subjective and we don’t judge. But we’re really wondering about the thought processes some of you seem to have.

Today’s shirt is a great example. First 90% of the people who buy this clicked on it as soon as they saw a mustache because some bizarre knee-jerk hipster-internet reaction forced them to do so. “MUSTACHE,” their brain chemically screamed at their body, “MUSTACHE HAS BEEN DEEMED IRONICALLY ACCEPTABLE BY THE MIASMA OF HIPSTER CULTURE TO WHICH WE VEHEMENTLY SUBSCRIBE WHILE MAINTAINING IRONIC DETACHMENT. OWNERSHIP AND DISPLAY OF MUSTACHE WILL INCREASE OUR SOCIAL STANDING AMONG THE COMPLETELY-SELF-ABSORBED-DISGUISED-AS-EARNEST PEOPLE WE ASSOCIATE WITH.” And their little fingers clicked on the mouse like a pigeon pushing a button in a lab for a cracker.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #19614
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
my kid's retro steel roadie, he busted the back rim (a vintage mavic 700c 36h). a friend said he can spoke him up a new rim on the same wheel, and suggested a Mavic SuperPro, except yeow, thats a $70+ rim :-/ I found the similar Mavic Super Sport 36H in silver runs about half that price, anyone know if these are any good? Or want to suggest another economical but reasonably light 36H rim with a traditional box section (not deep V) for a retro late 70s roadbike?
do they still sell Mavic Open Sports? Mine are bulletproof on my fixed G.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #19615
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
They really don't make traditional box-section rims any more. Least nothing decent. Best you're gonna do is go with that Mavic OR get something cheap from J&B. You can get an entire wheel from J&B (a wholesaler) for the price of one Mavic rim.

Me? For a college kid? Go cheap. UNLESS he's actually *riding* the bike.

HTH

M
he is riding, quite a lot. working up to centuries, right now doing 50-60 mile rides. says he's been passing the 'clubbies' on the hill climbs up there.

I haven't seen a decent road wheel for much under about $180.

as far as box rims, this mavic open pro looks like...

thats pretty traditional looking to me, albeit a bit more rounded.

the opensport looks like

(they come in silver too for that more traditional look)
Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #19616
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
he is riding, quite a lot. working up to centuries, right now doing 50-60 mile rides. says he's been passing the 'clubbies' on the hill climbs up there.

I haven't seen a decent road wheel for much under about $180.

as far as box rims, this mavic open pro looks like...

thats pretty traditional looking to me, albeit a bit more rounded.

the opensport looks like

(they come in silver too for that more traditional look)
...and neither of em are box-section rims.

M
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #19617
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and neither of em are box-section rims.

M
oh, ok. what do you call that then?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #19618
BrianCa
airheads and stuff.

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
I've used inexpensive mavic rims like the ma2 and ma3 and they have been great. If I was replacing a rim on a road bike that wasn't for competition I would use a $40-$50 mavic rim or maybe a similar sun rim.
BrianCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #19619
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCa View Post
I've used inexpensive mavic rims like the ma2 and ma3 and they have been great. If I was replacing a rim on a road bike that wasn't for competition I would use a $40-$50 mavic rim or maybe a similar sun rim.
I don't think the ma2/ma3 exist anymore. a119 is their cheapest, apparently its pinned rather than welded, the open sport is the next cheapest, also pinned, then the open pro which is welded. the others are all deep V stuff which woudl be funky on this 25 year old retro steelie :)

fyi, the rim he broke was a module e2, and he doesn't even know how it broke, he swears it was fine when he parked the bike, and he noticed it was bad when he rode off later that day, had a loose spoke and a distinct prang to it. his friend tried to true it but its too bent and the 23C tires are blowing off.

the roads in humboldt county around Arcata really suck, he probably hit a pothole.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #19620
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I don't think the ma2/ma3 exist anymore. a119 is their cheapest, apparently its pinned rather than welded, the open sport is the next cheapest, also pinned, then the open pro which is welded. the others are all deep V stuff which woudl be funky on this 25 year old retro steelie :)

fyi, the rim he broke was a module e2, and he doesn't even know how it broke, he swears it was fine when he parked the bike, and he noticed it was bad when he rode off later that day, had a loose spoke and a distinct prang to it. his friend tried to true it but its too bent and the 23C tires are blowing off.

the roads in humboldt county around Arcata really suck, he probably hit a pothole.
Needs bigger tires then too. 25s maybe?

IDK what you'd call the Open Pro/Reflex/O4CD family of rims, but box-section ain't it. Semi-aero maybe?

You can still find MA40s/MA2s/etc on ebay and CL. They're getting harder to find tho. If you can find something truly box-section like what was on there, you can just move the rim and keep everything else. Go with either of the Mavic rims you've listed and you're buying new spokes too. THAT gets spendy in an LBS.

HTH

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: