Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #19606
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've done a little of that for some guys. I was on my RT. Tough getting the big bike(s) to go that slow.

Ya need something small like a small scooter or a 250 Rebel to do it 'right.'

M
Yep we had a honda elite, my wife could hold a steady pace for 20-30 min, the other nice thing about that bike was you could switch between mph/kph. she did great. We've got a honda sliverwing ,she is great on it too. It's harder to find flatish roads here than in Va Bch though.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 08:29 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #19607
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Yep we had a honda elite, my wife could hold a steady pace for 20-30 min, the other nice thing about that bike was you could switch between mph/kph. she did great. We've got a honda sliverwing ,she is great on it too. It's harder to find flatish roads here than in Va Bch though.

The wife says she's going to pace me on the Transalp which should be interesting with the muffler right under my nose! SHould be better than that tractor.

Did 2+ hours on the single speed CX bike Saturday and 3 hours yesterday on the single speed mtb. For some reason I couldn't get a good spin-up for the switchbacks and felt like a slug. I did feel good in that it was my 1st off-road ride since the spinal fusion and I made every climb and all but one switch back when a geared bike stalled me.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #19608
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The wife says she's going to pace me on the Transalp which should be interesting with the muffler right under my nose! SHould be better than that tractor.

Did 2+ hours on the single speed CX bike Saturday and 3 hours yesterday on the single speed mtb. For some reason I couldn't get a good spin-up for the switchbacks and felt like a slug. I did feel good in that it was my 1st off-road ride since the spinal fusion and I made every climb and all but one switch back when a geared bike stalled me.

Very nice, congrats on the recovery!

I have motor-paced behind liquor-cycles but not intentionally for a workout....
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #19609
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Very nice, congrats on the recovery!

I have motor-paced behind liquor-cycles but not intentionally for a workout....
Help an old man out, what are liquor-cycles?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #19610
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Help an old man out, what are liquor-cycles?
Around my neck of the woods, we have an over-abundance of DWI offenders. After conviction and subsequent license revocation/suspension, the only thing they are allowed to "drive" is a scooter with less than 50cc's of displacement and speed no greater than 35mph. Depending on the time of day there are a dozen or more putting around our fair town. I always find it fun to keep pace with them from a stoplight until I either get bored, or pass them on a hill (up or down... ). Most of them are on the heavy side, so the scooters can barely get to 30 on a flat. I've seen tractors in the country doing better highway speeds.

This is two of my teammates liquor-cycle pacing outside Butner, NC. I'm taking the pic if that tells you the pace we were moving...

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans

Ridge screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 11:26 AM
Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #19611
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
I've dismantled the BMC 'cross bike, now to build the new road bike! Stealing parts from one to build the other.

volbeat22 screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 01:06 PM
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #19612
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,207
John Howard 152.2 mph land speed record, Car driven by Don Vesco

But I'm far more partial to real HPV's
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #19613
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Around my neck of the woods, we have an over-abundance of DWI offenders. After conviction and subsequent license revocation/suspension, the only thing they are allowed to "drive" is a scooter with less than 50cc's of displacement and speed no greater than 35mph. Depending on the time of day there are a dozen or more putting around our fair town. I always find it fun to keep pace with them from a stoplight until I either get bored, or pass them on a hill (up or down... ). Most of them are on the heavy side, so the scooters can barely get to 30 on a flat. I've seen tractors in the country doing better highway speeds.

This is two of my teammates liquor-cycle pacing outside Butner, NC. I'm taking the pic if that tells you the pace we were moving...

Thats bloody awesome we dont get that privledge here in Ontario,Can. they just completely lose there license here. We do have alot of old people in my town that normally dont drive much faster then 40kph which isnt great but better then nothing. Do liquor cyclists get annoyed with the roadies.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #19614
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,419
Tech question

I am currently running Wilson 30x wheels that came shimano compatible. Over the course of the year, the cassette sprockets are starting to cut into the free hub (aluminum),. Noticed when cleaning everything.The standard hub is a FH6600 Ultegra.

I know that I can replace just the free hub body. Can I replace it with a DA titanium free hub body? I am not worried about weight, but hardness of the body. I'm sure being a heavy rider right now does not help, but I am willing to spend a little extra money for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #19615
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,440
Quote:

I miss Cackalacky! I was born in High Point, raised in Hickory, spent my adulthood in RDU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #19616
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Tech question

I am currently running Wilson 30x wheels that came shimano compatible. Over the course of the year, the cassette sprockets are starting to cut into the free hub (aluminum),. Noticed when cleaning everything.The standard hub is a FH6600 Ultegra.

I know that I can replace just the free hub body. Can I replace it with a DA titanium free hub body? I am not worried about weight, but hardness of the body. I'm sure being a heavy rider right now does not help, but I am willing to spend a little extra money for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
First take a large flat file and file any bumps that have formed down even with the top of the freehub body. Slide the cogs on and make sure they don't catch on any high spots.

Next, look up the torque rating for your lock ring on your cog set. I am willing to bet it is 40-45NM. Torque it to the correct torque. It is a lot tighter than you think. It should put an end to the cogs cutting in.

There is a similar phenomenon on motorcycle clutches. The clutches cut into the clutch basket. This is pretty much unavoidable. The thing to do is to leave that basket in there and file the bumps off so that the clutch moves smoothly. The spots where the clutch cut into the basket are now hardened and will not wear any further. It is the same thing with your freehub body. Just insure it is torqued properly, I have seen many mechanics simply tighten until snug and leave it.

I am not sure the DA freehub compatibility. If you are interested I have a interchangeability chart at work and I can look it up tomorrow.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #19617
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Thanks Trailer;

I did just that with a file and torqued the lock ring down to the proper spec.

Life goes on and thank you for all your help.

Joc
Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #19618
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
Thats bloody awesome we dont get that privledge here in Ontario,Can. they just completely lose there license here. We do have alot of old people in my town that normally dont drive much faster then 40kph which isnt great but better then nothing. Do liquor cyclists get annoyed with the roadies.
Not usually. Most of them get a laugh out of it but there are always a few that get annoyed and think they are being picked on.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #19619
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Tech question

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joc
Yer best bet is to get a cassette with an AL carrier.

I have several FH bodies with the teeth indentations in em. They haven't gotten any worse in the 20 years I've been riding them wheels, so I don't bother.

HTH

M
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #19620
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yer best bet is to get a cassette with an AL carrier.

I have several FH bodies with the teeth indentations in em. They haven't gotten any worse in the 20 years I've been riding them wheels, so I don't bother.

HTH

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: