Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #19621
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
is your SRAM drivetrain noisy? ive test ridden a few SRAM rival bikes, and the rear derailleur seemed much noisier than shimano. im wondering if the bikes im test riding are not adjusted properly? however, they seem to shift pretty good, so im surprised that they are noisy. ive read also that SRAM cassettes are notorious for being noisy, is that true?
Both, mine and her 'cross bikes have SRAM Apex derailleurs, cassettes, and 1091 chains. They're both quiet. My MTB has X0 and X7 derailleurs, Shimano cassette, and KMC XX chain. It, too, is quiet. I test rode another that had full Rival and it was quiet, as well. Nearly all the LBS employees' bikes are SRAM and have never heard any mention of noise. So, I don't know about their stuff being noisy.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #19622
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,959
Yep, just got a few miles on my schwinn, now with sram cassette/chain, x9 rear derailleur, X0 shifter. Quiet and quick shifts. And I really like the gripshift so far, after years of not giving it a chance. (well, not since 1997 or so).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #19623
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Ultegra used cost

I've been thinking about swapping the '11 ultegra stuff off my cross bike and running sram. has less than 100 miles on the stuff, anyone have an idea of what i could get for it?

(it being 2x10: fr derailleur, rear derailleur, both STI shifters, and cassette)?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #19624
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Here is another link to "Hand Made Bicycle show with plenty of videos and interviews.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #19625
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
Dood! I feel fat!

Holyhellfireshit! Talk about ripped legs!

M
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #19626
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,982
Here's my poor video taking skills from Sunday. I need to find a way to mount the camera so I don't have to ride with one hand

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #19627
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #19628
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dood! I feel fat!

Holyhellfireshit! Talk about ripped legs!

M

WOW....
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #19629
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Racing and chasing...

Did my first crit of the year last night. It went about as good as most March races go for me. It was fun. There were 16 guys and 2 women (one was 40-49 and in a State Champs jersey, the other was a junior)...most of the guys were racing as 'Masters 40-49' and I suspect they were sandbagging cat 3's.

The club putting on the race put three guys on the front from the gun and we were strung out single file. I was stuck about mid pack and kept trying to move up only to find myself in the wind with no one to help...then I'd find myself mid pack having to brake into each turn. I got dropped at the first prime.

Rather than chase solo I decided to wait to get lapped and jump back into the back of the group (lapped riders were encouraged to do so at the beginning of the race). I'm toodling along waiting for the group and the masters woman catches me and I become aware that she'd been chasing for a while (she took a flyer that nobody respected in the first couple laps) trying to get my wheel. So I paced her for a while just to be a gentleman, after all, she's a state champ, right?

The second half of the race was sort of a blur of trying to organize some cohesive chase group in the B race, a tough proposition. I was lapped a second time and rode at the back of the peleton until the bell when I pulled off to watch the sprint.

I had a good time and didn't expect much more than what I got. I've got four more races in this series and if last year's pattern repeats, more and more riders will start coming out and the race will calm down a bit. Our average lap time was faster than the A race. I think that if I could have found a wheel in the first couple laps, I would have done better.

Here I am, far right, on my Pmount (gummee) with St Champ and Jr Woman in tow. The kid on the focus kept pulling thru too hard and gapping us...then we'd catch him again and he'd sit on and then gap us again.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #19630
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
Someone's gotta learn that kid how to pull thru...

I've been stuck in your position. No matter what YOU do, you can't make up ground without help. [Coach Gummee]Course if you were strong enough to stay in the front, you wouldn't have to. Next time: line up on said 3 guys' wheel and stay there![/Coach Gummee]

Sounds like fun. You've done more races than I have so far this year!

M
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #19631
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Someone's gotta learn that kid how to pull thru...

I've been stuck in your position. No matter what YOU do, you can't make up ground without help. [Coach Gummee]Course if you were strong enough to stay in the front, you wouldn't have to. Next time: line up on said 3 guys' wheel and stay there![/Coach Gummee]

Sounds like fun. You've done more races than I have so far this year!

M
Agreed. I have found that it's much more linear and leveled off if you can stay in the front third of the pack. You then don't have to be subjected to the whiplash effect that transfers to the back of any pack. Staying on the wheel of the strong guys that drive the race will eventually make you a stronger rider and allow you to see strategy and tactics play out first hand. Just don't get suckered into being their wind block and pull through. If you find yourself on the front of the pack, do your quick pull without burning a match and back off. If they suck your wheel, stop pedaling altogether. You have nothing to prove to anyone out there but yourself. Getting on the front and showing out with a hard pull with not much in reserve will only allow them to rest in your draft and tire you out for later in the race. Eventually, someone will pull through, then you can fold back in. Keep as much in reserve for the last few laps, knowing that the pace will pick back up.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #19632
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
I've done dozens and dozens of crits, mostly in the 90's. I've never been a good crit rider in March.

I appreciate the input. We'll see what happens next week.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #19633
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
I've done dozens and dozens of crits, mostly in the 90's. I've never been a good crit rider in March.

I appreciate the input. We'll see what happens next week.
Ah, cool. Probably missed that earlier in the thread.

I have a crit this Saturday followed by a RR Sunday morning in Rock Hill, SC. Looks like the weather is going to clear out just long enough for the races to happen. I need more top 5 and top 10 finishes if I'm going to cat up this year.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #19634
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Ah, cool. Probably missed that earlier in the thread.

I have a crit this Saturday followed by a RR Sunday morning in Rock Hill, SC. Looks like the weather is going to clear out just long enough for the races to happen. I need more top 5 and top 10 finishes if I'm going to cat up this year.
Good Luck!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #19635
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Crit ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread