Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #19651
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It has me seriously looking at a Surly LHT, Waterford/Gunnar, or maybe a Lynskey.
Well then, you might want to drop by the Lynskey factory when you visit Chattanooga next month. They are made up in Ooltewah about 5 miles from my house.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #19652
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I might also add if they have huret or simplex derailleurs, the rest of the bits are probably equally low quality.

60's and early 70s bikes pretty much have to have at least part campi on them to be any good. mid-to-later 70s midrange bikes were usually suntour and shimano, which was generally much better than huret or simplex (especially the mid-to-better suntour shifters with mostly-to-all alloy rears).

on the early suntour/shimano derailleurs, the better rears had aluminum side plates on the takeup arms, and the best ones were all aluminum (except pins and pivots, of course). ditto, the better fronts had alloy parallelogram arms (I think all fronts have chrome steel cages), and the best fronts had aluminum clamps.

The mid-to-better early Suntour was revolutionary.

had some features I loved like you could completely unhook the chain from the swingarm without any tools. they pioneered the angled parallelogram that all new derailleurs use.
I have this one in the pic. V-GT Luxe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Well then, you might want to drop by the Lynskey factory when you visit Chattanooga next month. They are made up in Ooltewah about 5 miles from my house.
Mmmmmmm, Lynskey.....
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #19653
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I have this one in the pic. V-GT Luxe?
I think so, or something like that. I had one of those on my old cruiser and totally wore out its upper plastic idler pulley after 20+ years... looked like a drum, wasn't a tooth left on it, hahahahah, so it couldn't shift anymore. darn. replacement part was unobtanium so now its sporting some cheap shimano altus or altera or something. same thing on the mountech suntour on my 1st year stumpjumper, wore the upper shift pulley after 20+ years, had to put a shimano on it. sigh, I liked those old suntours a lot.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #19654
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Cool L, I'm picking her up tomorrow in Piermont NY, maybe a wknd soon I can christen her.....
Got her, yet? I could be game for next weekend.

Quote:
Where in NJ?, there is indeed some good riding in north NJ and it's actually pretty bike friendly.
I can vouch for Edgewater being a great place to be, and Hoboken/ Jersey City are also good if you're wanting a more city style life.
I haven't gotten too specific, yet. Someplace with a reasonable train ride into Penn Station, good access to trails and quiet backroads, and (hopefully) a decent climbing gym.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #19655
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Paris-Roubaix is going on RIGHT NOW!

M
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #19656
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Paris-Roubaix is going on RIGHT NOW!

M
Where do you watch it...???
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #19657
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Wow I'm tired! Full weekend of racing. Crit yesterday that started dry and ended very cold and wet. Tires were sliding all over and two guys crashed out. Salvaged 8th out of 20 from pacing the first (dry) half. 120psi does not perform well on wet, potholed streets and corners...

Today's race was much better and drier. I secured my first podium of the year. One guy soloed off the front with a lap to go and no one grabbed his wheel. I chased down second and passed him with about 40 yards to the finish and had someone on my wheel that pulled half a wheel on me to the line. I had a solid third though and it felt great! Felt even better to win some $$ to cover gas and entry fee.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #19658
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Congrats Ridge...
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #19659
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Got her, yet? I could be game for next weekend.

I haven't gotten too specific, yet. Someplace with a reasonable train ride into Penn Station, good access to trails and quiet backroads, and (hopefully) a decent climbing gym.

Yup, and nxt wknd might be possible. I'll know more by mid week and PM you.

psyched.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #19660
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Wow I'm tired! Full weekend of racing. Crit yesterday that started dry and ended very cold and wet. Tires were sliding all over and two guys crashed out. Salvaged 8th out of 20 from pacing the first (dry) half. 120psi does not perform well on wet, potholed streets and corners...

Today's race was much better and drier. I secured my first podium of the year. One guy soloed off the front with a lap to go and no one grabbed his wheel. I chased down second and passed him with about 40 yards to the finish and had someone on my wheel that pulled half a wheel on me to the line. I had a solid third though and it felt great! Felt even better to win some $$ to cover gas and entry fee.
Plus some Cat up points. Good Job.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #19661
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Where do you watch it...???
Sunday on VS. 700-10pm edt. Go to vs website and get the lowdown on the televised races this year. If you get Universal network they have races on too.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #19662
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

was out riding today nice weather for a change, I was stipping off some clothes when a group came riding by. rode with them for about 5-6mi. Then they wanted to whip up the pace,hung for another 5mi or so. The Surly LHT with front and rear rack (close to 40#) is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Not quite the proper tool for the job at hand. ended up with about a 2 1/4 hr ride though .

TheYeti screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 01:03 AM
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #19663
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Plus some Cat up points. Good Job.
finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
was out riding today nice weather for a change, I was stipping off some clothes when a group came riding by. rode with them for about 5-6mi. Then they wanted to whip up the pace,hung for another 5mi or so. The Surly LHT with front and rear rack (close to 40#) is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Not quite the proper tool for the job at hand. ended up with about a 2 1/4 hr ride though .
Nice. I have not ridden one yet, but we have a LBS that stocks them by the dozens for the local colleges. Looks like a very capable and multi-use platform.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #19664
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,215
Girlz with mad skilz.

http://www.wimp.com/bicycleskill/
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #19665
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
@Ricky: I don't usually get to watch live, but cyclingtorrents.nl usually has the Eurosport or RAI coverages uploaded via torrent by the afternoon.

If you didn't get to see it, the race yesterday was an epic. All I'm gonna say is 'poor Boonen.'

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: