Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #19711
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The shop owner did not concede and still fought it. The final showdown was last night and the city council voted to keep the race as-is. They also scolded the store owner for declining the request to be part of the planning committee for the race.

Great news!! We lost a few cars shows down here because of an asshat like that.

Said the show hurt his restraunt buisness. IF anything it probably quardupled it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #19712
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
If you haven't done a 12hr pair before... it's important to eat. Little and often.

Is it a night or day event? Or a bit of both?
It is a day race, Dawn till Dusk, I have race 24 hr of Moab a few time so I do have the back ground in racing long races....this race I am doing for fun, not to win, I may do a lap and drink a beer

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #19713
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,974
Well, THAT was a long 1:40! Started out hungry and rode into a headwind the entire way over to the shop.

Wasn't tryin to make good time, but my cruising speed was right around 27kph

M
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #19714
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Yours truly on Sunday's MTB ride trying really, really hard not to dick up on the photo pass.

All in all, a good ride.
Socks must go.

Looks like an awesome track.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #19715
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
Saturday will be my first race in 6 years.....wow why has it been so long.....
Where is your race?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #19716
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
The race is still going to happen but the organizer was forced to make some serious concessions.

Short story is that an antique shop has its storefront on one of the streets being closed for the crit. The store owner claims that he was never asked about the effect of street closure on his business and petitioned city council to either cancel the race, or move it off his street. He was busted on the point of not being asked about planning for the race when printed emails surfaced in the meeting and he was proved to have declined the request.

He started fighting the race when he found out the city's annual pottery festival is happening the same weekend (the festival and race cross weekends once every 7 years). He claimed he would lose $1500 in sales that day, so the race organizer decided to pay him the money and offer a raffle to the participants for gift cards to his store. The race organizer combined fields to shorten the race day, set up a shuttle to get customers to the antique store, arranged for a truck to haul anything customers may buy back to their cars and coordinated with a scout troop to offer assistance crossing the street for anyone that may feel nervous with the pace car and races going on.

The shop owner did not concede and still fought it. The final showdown was last night and the city council voted to keep the race as-is. They also scolded the store owner for declining the request to be part of the planning committee for the race.
Wow one bloody day in seven years and meanwhile you guys are walking thru broken glass on your lips for the guy and its still not good enough. Sure makes him look like a real ass when its a community festival that he turns his back on. Most times people that attend these races and festivals will spend money in your shop or come back at another time. With that kind of negative attitude he may lose customers if they find out his reaction to the festival.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #19717
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,026
my kid's retro steel roadie, he busted the back rim (a vintage mavic 700c 36h). a friend said he can spoke him up a new rim on the same wheel, and suggested a Mavic SuperPro, except yeow, thats a $70+ rim :-/ I found the similar Mavic Super Sport 36H in silver runs about half that price, anyone know if these are any good? Or want to suggest another economical but reasonably light 36H rim with a traditional box section (not deep V) for a retro late 70s roadbike?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #19718
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
The race is still going to happen but the organizer was forced to make some serious concessions.

Short story is that an antique shop has its storefront on one of the streets being closed for the crit. The store owner claims that he was never asked about the effect of street closure on his business and petitioned city council to either cancel the race, or move it off his street. He was busted on the point of not being asked about planning for the race when printed emails surfaced in the meeting and he was proved to have declined the request.

He started fighting the race when he found out the city's annual pottery festival is happening the same weekend (the festival and race cross weekends once every 7 years). He claimed he would lose $1500 in sales that day, so the race organizer decided to pay him the money and offer a raffle to the participants for gift cards to his store. The race organizer combined fields to shorten the race day, set up a shuttle to get customers to the antique store, arranged for a truck to haul anything customers may buy back to their cars and coordinated with a scout troop to offer assistance crossing the street for anyone that may feel nervous with the pace car and races going on.

The race organizer was going to do ALL that. and the shop owner declined .now that's an asshole.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #19719
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Where is your race?
Gallup NM http://www.dawntilduskrace.com/

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #19720
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Out for a little spin yesterday...

Down the road with my buddy Mark:

"Honest, Officer, I was sticking to the speed limit..."

Beautiful scenery, frequently interrupted by ugly spandex-clad morons on bikes:

Glam shot. Let's see if I'm still smiling by Sunday night:
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #19721
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
The race organizer was going to do ALL that. and the shop owner declined .now that's an asshole.
In his email to the race organizer (which was read aloud by a city council member) , the store owner called it "hush money" and wrote a very nasty return email to the organizer.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #19722
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
my kid's retro steel roadie, he busted the back rim (a vintage mavic 700c 36h). a friend said he can spoke him up a new rim on the same wheel, and suggested a Mavic SuperPro, except yeow, thats a $70+ rim :-/ I found the similar Mavic Super Sport 36H in silver runs about half that price, anyone know if these are any good? Or want to suggest another economical but reasonably light 36H rim with a traditional box section (not deep V) for a retro late 70s roadbike?
They really don't make traditional box-section rims any more. Least nothing decent. Best you're gonna do is go with that Mavic OR get something cheap from J&B. You can get an entire wheel from J&B (a wholesaler) for the price of one Mavic rim.

Me? For a college kid? Go cheap. UNLESS he's actually *riding* the bike.

HTH

M
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #19723
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
In his email to the race organizer (which was read aloud by a city council member) , the store owner called it "hush money" and wrote a very nasty return email to the organizer.
'Cantankerous' doesn't quite cover it... the guy's a complete a-hole! Did a cyclist murder his pet goldfish or something??
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #19724
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,370
Everybody go check out shirt.woot.com today (4/7/11)
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #19725
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Everybody go check out shirt.woot.com today (4/7/11)
Bwahahaha, did you read the first couple of paragraphs in the description?

Quote:
It takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round. And what one person likes plenty of other people will find flawed. Art is subjective and we don’t judge. But we’re really wondering about the thought processes some of you seem to have.

Today’s shirt is a great example. First 90% of the people who buy this clicked on it as soon as they saw a mustache because some bizarre knee-jerk hipster-internet reaction forced them to do so. “MUSTACHE,” their brain chemically screamed at their body, “MUSTACHE HAS BEEN DEEMED IRONICALLY ACCEPTABLE BY THE MIASMA OF HIPSTER CULTURE TO WHICH WE VEHEMENTLY SUBSCRIBE WHILE MAINTAINING IRONIC DETACHMENT. OWNERSHIP AND DISPLAY OF MUSTACHE WILL INCREASE OUR SOCIAL STANDING AMONG THE COMPLETELY-SELF-ABSORBED-DISGUISED-AS-EARNEST PEOPLE WE ASSOCIATE WITH.” And their little fingers clicked on the mouse like a pigeon pushing a button in a lab for a cracker.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: