Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #19801
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
Do all Centuries have hills?
NW Ohio has Hancock Horizontal 100, the only hills are the overpasses

Central Ohio has the Fredericksburg Library Roll, more climbing than the average cyclist can handle

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #19802
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I repeat what I said before, you want to swap those tri-bars for conventional road bike drop bars, with conventional road bike brifters (brake+shifters). this likely will need a different length and height stem, this is where the fitting-lite comes into play.
Been thinking about that. I've ridden my two bikes and my Dad's LeMond which has the drop bars with brifters. My comfort bike with it's wider, raised bars are a dream to ride with but the flat bars of my Hybrid are too rough on my shoulders/wrists and I've never felt comfortable with drop bars and found the brifters to be a PITA. I never owned a bike with drop bars and always considered them not for me because I hated the reach to the gears/brakes.

Maybe Tri bars are gonna be good for me? I am constantly putting my elbows on the ends of my bars where the hand grips are while riding, anyway, so this won't be too far from what I find ergonomic.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #19803
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
most do, often big ones. depends on the century, of course. last one I did, way too long ago, was the metric double (200km, 120 miles) Mt Hamilton Challenge, which climbed Mt Hamilton (4200') from Sunnyvale (sea level), then looped up to Livermore and back to Sunnyvale.
I rode 10 FLAT miles today. Haven't ever ridden 10 FLAT miles and am used to doing 25+ mile rides with little bitty hills. Today's FLAT ride was awesomeness. I coulda went all day in a drone position and whizz the shit outta my legs.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #19804
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Been thinking about that. I've ridden my two bikes and my Dad's LeMond which has the drop bars with brifters. My comfort bike with it's wider, raised bars are a dream to ride with but the flat bars of my Hybrid are too rough on my shoulders/wrists and I've never felt comfortable with drop bars and found the brifters to be a PITA. I never owned a bike with drop bars and always considered them not for me because I hated the reach to the gears/brakes.

Maybe Tri bars are gonna be good for me? I am constantly putting my elbows on the ends of my bars where the hand grips are while riding, anyway, so this won't be too far from what I find ergonomic.
I hate to tell you this but the reach to those shifters and brakes is much further on that Tri bike then on a typical compact framed road bike with an upright stem.
The shifters are on the ends of those aero bars, if you take a look at the seat, you'll see how really angled and stretched you'll be on that bike compared to a compact road.

Here's a pic of my "friend" on her compact roadie with short/turned up stem. This is considerably fitted for comfort.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #19805
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I hate to tell you this but the reach to those shifters and brakes is much further on that Tri bike then on a typical compact framed road bike with an upright stem.
The shifters are on the ends of those aero bars, if you take a look at the seat, you'll see how really angled and stretched you'll be on that bike compared to a compact road.

Here's a pic of my "friend" on her compact roadie with short/turned up stem. This is considerably fitted for comfort.

Ok. I can totally see how those could work for me! Still, I see that there may be a problem with weight on the wrists, which I could get used too, though because I'd be more upright.

Tell her that I hope my ass looks as good as hers one of these days.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #19806
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Ok. I can totally see how those could work for me! Still, I see that there may be a problem with weight on the wrists, which I could get used too, though because I'd be more upright.

See how much lower her seat is compared to the stem on that bike? Now look at the picture of your Tri bike...it's the opposite. Your seat is way higher and further away from the bars and levers/shifters. It's in the angle and the position of your seat tube.

You'll have much more pressure on your wrists and arms (and more tucked in of course) then you think.

She just went through all this last year, tried everything, she has a hybrid too.

Your best bet is to really try a Tri bike and a Road bike. Most LBS will let you test ride both.

(ps - that cute butt has kept me busy for the last 2 years, trust me.....)

Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #19807
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
See how much lower her seat is compared to the stem on that bike? Now look at the picture of your Tri bike...it's the opposite. Your seat is way higher and further away from the bars and levers/shifters. It's in the angle and the position of your seat tube.

You'll have much more pressure on your wrists and arms (and more tucked in of course) then you think.

She just went through all this last year, tried everything, she has a hybrid too.

Your best bet is to really try a Tri bike and a Road bike. Most LBS will let you test ride both.

(ps - that cute butt has kept me busy for the last 2 years, trust me.....)
At least I'm not paying money for it so if it doesn't work, I'm not out anything. I'm narrowing it down, now.

BTW, can't you adjust the seat height?

Lucky girl.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #19808
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
At least I'm not paying money for it so if it doesn't work, I'm not out anything. I'm narrowing it down, now.

Lucky girl.
That's true, ride it for a year, but try other bikes while you do.

Thanks, she's nuts but I'm learning to accept that...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #19809
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,683
Check out this one folks-
"Crusher in the Tusher" race: (tushercrusher.com)

Promoter is an old friend, overall great guy that can rip your legs off if the road goes uphill-

80 miles, over 12K feet of climbing , half paved, half dirt - ends at like 10.5K feet

(I'm not even gonna offer to ride this one motorized )

Velonews had a blurb about it yesterday....
Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #19810
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Check out this one folks-
"Crusher in the Tusher" race: (tushercrusher.com)

$135 entry fee?!

You non-midwest types are nuts. And/or rich.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #19811
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Keep the bike. Get that tri bar setup swapped out for drops with brifters, and bigger tires. And congrats on a nice, FREE bike.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #19812
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:

the thing about drop bars is there are three riding positions, and they each put weight on your wrists at a different angle. cruising, you're usually on top of the brake levers, where your wrists are parallel, or holding the staright part of the bars where your wrists are in a line... the bars should be mounted high enough that you can comfortably ride down on the bottom of the drops too, for fighting headwinds. Most of your weight should be centered on the pedals and seat, not on your arms. Doing situps to build some stomach muscle strength can really help

unluckily, that tri frame geometry is fighting you, its got a really low front, and extremely short wheelbase, since tribars are so far out in front. so the guys who suggested trading it for a conventional roadbike have something. sadly, the tri crowd are into the latest and greatest and there's a lot of 2-3 year old top end bikes being resold to buy the latest trick stuff, so it might be hard to get a decent price for this.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #19813
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
the thing about drop bars is there are three riding positions, and they each put weight on your wrists at a different angle. cruising, you're usually on top of the brake levers, where your wrists are parallel, or holding the staright part of the bars where your wrists are in a line... the bars should be mounted high enough that you can comfortably ride down on the bottom of the drops too, for fighting headwinds. Most of your weight should be centered on the pedals and seat, not on your arms. Doing situps to build some stomach muscle strength can really help

unluckily, that tri frame geometry is fighting you, its got a really low front, and extremely short wheelbase, since tribars are so far out in front. so the guys who suggested trading it for a conventional roadbike have something. sadly, the tri crowd are into the latest and greatest and there's a lot of 2-3 year old top end bikes being resold to buy the latest trick stuff, so it might be hard to get a decent price for this.
Hate to break this to ya guys, but tri-bikes don't work too well in anything but the tri- position. Putting drop bars on it isn't gonna be doing her any favors.

I'll third, fourth, or whatever the 'get someone to fit you on the bike' comment. MUY importante Get someone that knows tri-bikes. While its similar, there's differences.

Congrats on the bike. Its a nice one. Ride it till something wears out THEN upgrade**. **the exception being the cassette in the back if you're riding hills. At MINIMUM go with a 26t. 28t would be better. Yes the derailleur can handle it.

I did see something in there about 'I'll ride it in 2 mos.' Ride it NOW. Ride it LOTS. NOW. Riding something like this bike takes some getting used to. Did I mention ride it NOW?! You may/may not like the saddle. That's fixable. You may/may not need to change out the stem. That's fixable. (and part of a fitting)

All-in-all, for a first bike, you could do worse. Worst case, go to pricepoint.com and get a frame and fork for less than $200 and move most of the parts over. At that point, you'll hafta get bars, shifters, HS, and bartape.

HTH

M
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #19814
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Thanks Oznerol for putting up with my panting sissy ass today on the cold trails of Ringwood State park.
No worries, man. I've got a ton of scars on my shins from whacking pedals into them while learning to ride that kind of stuff.

Quote:
I loved the fire trails but the tight singletrack's made of cabbage rocks and boulders the size of small dogs scared the piss out of me.... I see where they get the term glacial moraine now..... shit!

Seriously I had fun, think I'll bone up on some more tamer trails before I do those tracks again.
I'm definitely game for finding some less-rocky trails to ride. I enjoy the challenge of the stuff like you saw yesterday, but I'll go pretty far out of my way for a smooth fast roller-coaster of a trail.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #19815
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
No worries, man. I've got a ton of scars on my shins from whacking pedals into them while learning to ride that kind of stuff.

I'm definitely game for finding some less-rocky trails to ride. I enjoy the challenge of the stuff like you saw yesterday, but I'll go pretty far out of my way for a smooth fast roller-coaster of a trail.
I wanted to take pics but damn, all I was thinking about was getting down (or up) those freaking stones in one piece....

I'm going to try that Tallman state park soon, it's near Piermont, along the Pallisades I think (NY). About 45 m from where we were yesterday, more south. I'll PM you when I plan something in case you're game.

I also think I may end up with some fatter/wider ATV tires, my Kenda small blocks were squealing in between the obstacles, and felt like ice skates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: