User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #19966
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Still here... just checking in. Tornadoes suck; that is all.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #19967
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
To complicated for my taste but interesting none the less Acros AG-E hydraulic shifting for mountain bikes

Do you remember in the mid 90's when someone else tried this? Except it was not a push pull system like this, it only used one hose and it could be retrofitted to any shifter or derailleur. My mountain bikes have full cable housing so they shift really well. Plus, I would have to wear through a ton of high end cables and housing to justify this.
I think the next big thing will be when Shimano introduces electric shifting for mountain bikes. Nothing like having a $900 derailleur hanging off the back of your bike.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #19968
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Do you remember in the mid 90's when someone else tried this? Except it was not a push pull system like this, it only used one hose and it could be retrofitted to any shifter or derailleur. My mountain bikes have full cable housing so they shift really well. Plus, I would have to wear through a ton of high end cables and housing to justify this.
Oh yeah I install two of does "Cable" systems, But to tell you the truth they did not work that well and we end up taking them back and returning them to the company, The concept and even the execution where excellent but they just did not work well enough.

I also got to see a amazing Hydro derailleur/shifter combo at interbike from a German company but I never saw one install on a "Real" bicycle, Not even on the internet, So I guess they did not work that well at the end or never past the Prototype stage.
Quote:
I think the next big thing will be when Shimano introduces electric shifting for mountain bikes. Nothing like having a $900 derailleur hanging off the back of your bike.
Sure walking back home because you run out of battery's most be really fun, not to mention all the "UCI" regulations, Mavic try and their system sucks, Maybe Shimano will get it right with their new Duraace "Di2 series" but still far away from the mountain bike rigors specially if you take into account the water, mud and the inevitable crashes.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 08:12 AM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #19969
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Wow!

$2,300
Way too rich for my blood.
But, a neat design exercise.
On all my bicycles shifting has never been the leading issue. Usually my biggest problem is the poor performance of the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
To complicated for my taste but interesting none the less Acros AG-E hydraulic shifting for mountain bikes

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #19970
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
On all my bicycles shifting has never been the leading issue. Usually my biggest problem is the poor performance of the motor.

AMEN!! My motor needs a major tune up befor the Mohican 100

Last night I spent the evening bringing back dropped riders to the A group until we hit the tail winds. We caught up with and passed some B riders that were on a similar but shorter loop so I decided to have a nice ride back with a dropped B female that did and excellent job of filling out her spandex and was pretty also. Unfortunately with all the high winds she was tucked in behind me out of sight.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #19971
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
OK, I think I've bumped the Felt Breed off my short list of bikes.

It's now down to the Nature Boy:
http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy1/

or the Masi Speciale SS CX:
http://www.masibikes.com/steel/speciale-cxss/

Monster cross isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it could be fun to try. Still possible to run saner tires if need be....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #19972
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Singlespeed -a-palooza!!

Did the 3rd Annual Singlespeed-a-palooza at Stewart Forest, NY this past Sunday and Man, did I have fun!

It was a total of 27 miles - a 3 mile prologue to separate the 250 rider field followed by two 12 mile laps. It was a sunny windy day in the 50's. As it had rained almost 2 inches the night before, there were multiple epic 50 foot long axle deep puddles and peanut butter mud galore.

I ran a 32x19 setup on my full rigid Niner SIR9. With the carbon fork, carbon bars, and a 2.55 up front, 2.3 out back, both tubeless and set at about 28lbs, it was a cush ride.

The last 3 miles or so were really tough. I wasn't bonking but my legs were still in winter shape. I finished in 3:10 which averaged to just under 9 miles an hour. The overall best time was 1:57 - That dude was flying like Bubba Stewart!

That was the longest race I'd ever done. My goals were to basically finish and not be DFL, both of which I accomplished. I was 215th out of 250. I'm definitely looking forward to doing it again next year, albeit in hopefully dryer conditions!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #19973
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
Did the 3rd Annual Singlespeed-a-palooza at Stewart Forest, NY this past Sunday and Man, did I have fun!!

Welcome to the insanity of the SS world

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #19974
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
So, I had my first really good get-off of the year on last night's CX ride. As I lay bleeding in the dirt, I was able to enumerate all the sins that lead to my predicament:

1) Trying to keep pace with a far more experienced rider. The old nugget about "riding your own ride".
2) Too much front brake too far into the corner. Another old moto lesson, forgotten.
3) Not looking far enough ahead. See #2.
4) Weight bias too far forward. Combined with #3, the front wheel decided that the whole traction thing was overrated and laid down, taking the rest of the bike and me with it.

I got up, straightened the hoods and rear der, put the chain back on and finished the ride. Got rashed up pretty good, but no major damage. Also, I am rethinking my position as a proud Fred re: leg shaving. Them band-aids is sticky!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #19975
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,567
Bandaids? SHAME! Just rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Glad you're not hurt.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #19976
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Bandaids? SHAME! Just rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Glad you're not hurt.
Feh. A REAL man squirts some energy drink on it to get the big stuff off, then finishes the ride with blood running down his legs. DAMHIK

Its raining.

There's no one in.

I have wheels to build for me. NOS Mavic 571/2 hubs and Velocity A23 rims. I was saving these hubs for a pair of Campy Omega XL rims. They're a hair wider and lighter than MA-40s. I figger the wider part is why I was saving em, so here we go! Jumping on the 'wide rim' bandwagon.

M
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #19977
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Feh. A REAL man squirts some energy drink on it to get the big stuff off, then finishes the ride with blood running down his legs. DAMHIK

Its raining.

There's no one in.

I have wheels to build for me. NOS Mavic 571/2 hubs and Velocity A23 rims. I was saving these hubs for a pair of Campy Omega XL rims. They're a hair wider and lighter than MA-40s. I figger the wider part is why I was saving em, so here we go! Jumping on the 'wide rim' bandwagon.

M

Ah, the black art of wheelbuilding... almost as mysterious as suspension setup. One day I will learn how....
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #19978
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Ah, the black art of wheelbuilding... almost as mysterious as suspension setup. One day I will learn how....
its easy: left loosey, rightey tightey. The important bit is knowing how much of each to apply.

First wheel's almost done. Started with the rear because I have extra fronts already.

M
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #19979
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well worth learning, if only for the satisfaction you get from riding on wheels you built yourself.

It's not such a black art, either.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #19980
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Being the geeky type I built a program for my HP41CX back in the day to calculate spoke length.
I got the equations from "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. Great book for leading one into the wheel thing.
I have not built a wheel since the early 90's. And before that I had built a few BMW motorcycle wheels. Not these weird assed things on my adventure, rather old airhead wheels.
Great stuff for rainy days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
its easy: left loosey, rightey tightey. The important bit is knowing how much of each to apply.

First wheel's almost done. Started with the rear because I have extra fronts already.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: