ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #20056
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Surprisingly better than I expected. Legs were on fire after the triple header last weekend and that's an unusual thing for me to feel pain after a race. The recovery ride Monday and last night's sufferfest was probably the best thing for them.

I try to average at least 30 miles per day Mon-Thurs. and as many as I can on the weekends I'm not racing (which is not often right now). I need some hill time in to get ready for Blood, Sweat and gears in a little over a month.

Did you hit some decent Watts on ride last night,
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #20057
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I probably should include that I had to repair a fuel pump issue for a few $100, and new rims and tires for about $600 and installed a trailer hitch, and have bought some suspension bits (heavy duty springs in back, swaybars front and rear, and new bilsteins and some poly bushings) that I've yet to install, and I knew going into it that it was going to need a new head gasket eventually ($1000), so its really a $5000 used car. when all is said and done.

with a yakima rack (already had 90% of it, got the towers on craigslist cheap), and a hitchrack, I could carry 6 bikes on this baby in style, and a ton of sag gear...
Your post reminds me about my old 240 wagon. I loved that car, sold it to a bicyclists and I still see it around with racks, and stickers. I miss "The Tank"
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #20058
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Your post reminds me about my old 240 wagon. I loved that car, sold it to a bicyclists and I still see it around with racks, and stickers. I miss "The Tank"
My neighber had one of these for 15 yrs put a bizzllion miles on it. He loved it.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #20059
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
have bought some suspension bits (heavy duty springs in back, swaybars front and rear, and new bilsteins and some poly bushings) that I've yet to install
Nice choice in upgrades. I wouldn't have figured the guy who rides old stuff to be so spendy on quality upgrades.

I have Bilsteins on my truck and have sold several sets to discerning motorists. However, trying to explain why they're worth the money to the average person is fruitless.

I would, however, caution you against installing poly bushings into controls arms, suspension links, or leaf springs. They are really harsh and transmit everything through the body. No matter how much grease/lube you use on the install, they always squeak (without zerks). Though, I've found they're fine on swaybars, provided they have grease zerks on the pivot bushings.

I'm hoping to acquire a set of oversize Baer rotors for my truck, next. I'd love to do an STS turbo kit, but, that'd take away too much money from my other interests.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #20060
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Did you hit some decent Watts on ride last night,
Not bad for a group ride. Averaged 174 watts & 150HR, peaked at 660 watts and 181HR. Normalized power was 241 watts. It was about a mile faster per hour than my boring solo rides and a helluva lot more fun mixing it up with other fast guys. Just wish I could get a group like that going around my neck of the woods.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #20061
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,314
Nice 42 mile team ride this evening on the Trek 2nd District. Noticed my budy got dropped via mechanical so I went back after him then it was an all out sufferfest chasing for what seemed like an eternity but we finally made it climbing out of the valley. Awesome DRY evening
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #20062
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Not bad for a group ride. Averaged 174 watts & 150HR, peaked at 660 watts and 181HR. Normalized power was 241 watts. It was about a mile faster per hour than my boring solo rides and a helluva lot more fun mixing it up with other fast guys. Just wish I could get a group like that going around my neck of the woods.
Well come on out every couple of weeks or once a month, did you catch the gal on the Pink Trek world class inline skater and a hell of a rider. BTW she's 57 that'll give you something to shoot for in your older age

__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #20063
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,838
I went and did stupid tonight.

Over the weekend with all my fun in the garage with the final drive on the adventure, and then this wedding we went to on Saturday I somehow managed to tweak my bad knee.

At least the good one is still good.

Last night while sat through another three hour class after ten hours of work I used some icy hot on it and wrapped it up in an elastic bandage.
I applied some ice to the problem in the form of four cubes drizzled with singlemalt.

Took two doses of that to get things to where I felt I could sleep.

Slept pretty good and by morning, (my mornings begin about 4:30 AM)

All day in the cube I felt the knee was pretty normal. IT had been feeling similar to what it does when I blow the ACL out and it was only a little swollen. None of that by the time I got home.

So.......

being the stubborn guy I am I saddled up for a spin. I figured a light spin down to the bridge and back about 12 miles or so.

About 2 miles form the bridge I pass Paul heading home going the other way. He had the Surley wound up to stun bag and all, I slowed turned and chased back to him. That expenditure of what little energy I had left form the day pretty much did me. The little bump of a hill up from the river to the road hammered the final nail in good and tight.

Paul of course spun the Surley up that knob like it wasn't there.

I caught back on in about a mile but knew I was done. Thankfully he slowed to around 15 mph so I could catch my breath and save something for the mile hill back to the house.

I get back and my knee is not as good as it was.

Not as bad as it was two days ago either. So, I figure I need a few more days of rest.
Med free for now.

My last day to ride for a month will be Saturday. That may be out of the question. I'll be falling ever further and further behind in my training. I guess I'll have to make up for it with healthier eating, and walking when things feel good.
I hope to get a hike in two weeks while up North. By early June I will get back here to the bike and I can work my way back up to riding to the ocean again, and then leave for another month of no bicycles.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #20064
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I went and did stupid tonight.

Over the weekend with all my fun in the garage with the final drive on the adventure, and then this wedding we went to on Saturday I somehow managed to tweak my bad knee.

At least the good one is still good.

Last night while sat through another three hour class after ten hours of work I used some icy hot on it and wrapped it up in an elastic bandage.
I applied some ice to the problem in the form of four cubes drizzled with singlemalt.

Took two doses of that to get things to where I felt I could sleep.

Slept pretty good and by morning, (my mornings begin about 4:30 AM)

All day in the cube I felt the knee was pretty normal. IT had been feeling similar to what it does when I blow the ACL out and it was only a little swollen. None of that by the time I got home.

So.......

being the stubborn guy I am I saddled up for a spin. I figured a light spin down to the bridge and back about 12 miles or so.

About 2 miles form the bridge I pass Paul heading home going the other way. He had the Surley wound up to stun bag and all, I slowed turned and chased back to him. That expenditure of what little energy I had left form the day pretty much did me. The little bump of a hill up from the river to the road hammered the final nail in good and tight.

Paul of course spun the Surley up that knob like it wasn't there.

I caught back on in about a mile but knew I was done. Thankfully he slowed to around 15 mph so I could catch my breath and save something for the mile hill back to the house.

I get back and my knee is not as good as it was.

Not as bad as it was two days ago either. So, I figure I need a few more days of rest.
Med free for now.

My last day to ride for a month will be Saturday. That may be out of the question. I'll be falling ever further and further behind in my training. I guess I'll have to make up for it with healthier eating, and walking when things feel good.
I hope to get a hike in two weeks while up North. By early June I will get back here to the bike and I can work my way back up to riding to the ocean again, and then leave for another month of no bicycles.
Bummer Hope your knee gets to feeling better though.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #20065
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Not bad for a group ride. Averaged 174 watts & 150HR, peaked at 660 watts and 181HR. Normalized power was 241 watts. It was about a mile faster per hour than my boring solo rides and a helluva lot more fun mixing it up with other fast guys. Just wish I could get a group like that going around my neck of the woods.
That sounds like a pretty good ride if the right group of guys come out it gets really brutal.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #20066
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I have Bilsteins on my truck and have sold several sets to discerning motorists. However, trying to explain why they're worth the money to the average person is fruitless.

I would, however, caution you against installing poly bushings into controls arms, suspension links, or leaf springs. They are really harsh and transmit everything through the body. No matter how much grease/lube you use on the install, they always squeak (without zerks). Though, I've found they're fine on swaybars, provided ...
whale. these are the Bilstein TC (touring) shocks, not the HD (heavy duty). I want a cushy ride, just a little more control than stock.

and I'm only putting poly on the panhard rod, and this one key place between the lower control arm and the radius arm... you'd have to see it to understand.... its #11 here... using a poly bushing there on a 700/900 signficantly tightens up the handling on rough mountain roads.

and, um, this is bicycles, not bicycle carriers, hah. so 'nuff said.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #20067
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
these are the Bilstein TC (touring) shocks, not the HD (heavy duty). I want a cushy ride, just a little more control than stock..
Control is what Bilstein is all about. I went with the HD valving on my truck, as I'm running 22" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
whale
Whale? Nah. Volvos are cool. They're good reliable cars that carry an aura of intelligence. I'd love to have a P1800 wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
and I'm only putting poly on the panhard rod, and this one key place between the lower control arm and the radius arm... you'd have to see it to understand.... its #11 here... using a poly bushing there on a 700/900 signficantly tightens up the handling on rough mountain roads..
Yep, those would be good areas for a poly bushing. I think every car with that design needs poly at #11. The toe-in/out has to be all over the place, when those soften.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
and, um, this is bicycles, not bicycle carriers, hah. so 'nuff said.
My affliction for screwing with stuff affects everything I have. My GF thinks I'm nuts.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #20068
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Your post reminds me about my old 240 wagon. I loved that car, sold it to a bicyclists and I still see it around with racks, and stickers. I miss "The Tank"
I had a 142

Like this one, but the other front fender was blue. Dad got hit by a dump truck, unbolted the fender and installed a blue one.

If I did it again, I'd like it to look like this:




but with similar wheels/suspension:


M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #20069
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Well come on out every couple of weeks or once a month, did you catch the gal on the Pink Trek world class inline skater and a hell of a rider. BTW she's 57 that'll give you something to shoot for in your older age

Damn, how did I miss a pink kit?

I'll make it out there from time to time. I'll try and give you a heads up when everything comes together for a haul out there.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #20070
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Damn, how did I miss a pink kit?

I'll make it out there from time to time. I'll try and give you a heads up when everything comes together for a haul out there.
No she had a Cycles de Oro kit, but bike is dark Gray with black flames up the forks The Trek logo's on the bike are Hot Pink.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015