Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #20056
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Don't let the bastards get ya down. You'll find something soon.
So far, I've organized last year's receipts so I can do my taxes, thought about going for a ride (then realizing that its Thurs and UW Hockey nite), and futzed about online.

I haven't seen any bike shop mgt jobs open in the area. I may head over to our biggest competitor tomorrow and say howdy

M
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #20057
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Fixing flats

I'm getting pretty good at it.

Have any of you used tire liner tube protector? I was looking at the various puncture resistant tires and came across at least one brand (Stop Flats). How well do they work?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #20058
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post

Have any of you used tire liner tube protector? I was looking at the various puncture resistant tires and came across at least one brand (Stop Flats). How well do they work?
I tried some tire liners, and they added a ton of weight to the wheels, which was annoying even on my fat tire cruiser.

for fatter tires like cruiser, mtn bike, check out the Specialized Armadillo versions, these have a kevlar liner built right into the tire.

for skinny road bike tires, Continental GatorSkins or the new Gator Hard Shells. Same idea, better execution for where you want thin-and-light.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #20059
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
I figured they would add a bit of weight. I looked at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus line and thought the same thing.

I have the Conti gator skins on my road bike and like them. The problem child is the bike with the 26" Conti Town & Country tires. I'll check out the Specialized Armidillos. The Conti Travel Contact cross-hybrid claim to be puncture resistant, too... I'm looking for a sub-2" tire for one of my Safaris.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #20060
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I figured they would add a bit of weight. I looked at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus line and thought the same thing.

I have the Conti gator skins on my road bike and like them. The problem child is the bike with the 26" Conti Town & Country tires. I'll check out the Specialized Armidillos. The Conti Travel Contact cross-hybrid claim to be puncture resistant, too... I'm looking for a sub-2" tire for one of my Safaris.

Thanks.
for my 26" fat tire cruiser, I ran Specialized Hemisphere Armadillos for several years, never had a single flat, and that includes a fair amount of off-pavement riding. they were 26x1.9" I think, a semi slick design, rolled really nicely. When they wore out (mostly the gumwalls started to fray from age), I couldn't find them again and ended up putting something else on that bike.

Since I cracked the frame on that cruiser (its been welded since but I no longer trust it), I've been on a 700c hybrid running some 38C ritchey 'tom slicks' which I love the ride, but I know they aren't puncture-resistant... so far no flats, but I'm pretty good at watching the road surface for hazards and dodging glass and such.

edit: ah, last time I was shopping for a 700c, I saw Vittoria Radonneurs, and was fairly impressed with their construction, tread, look and feel... the Raddoneur Cross at least comes in 26x1.75" and looks to be a excellent balance of toughness and ride. now, I haven't actually ridden on them, so I can't say how good they actually are. bonus, they weren't that expensive, $30 each.

I've sworn off gumwalls, tired of them failing before the rest of the tire.

pierce screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 05:21 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #20061
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:

Thanks.
If they offer a latex tube for a 26, I would recommend those as well. A bit more $$, but they offer reduced rolling resistance and help a ton against pinch flats. Only downside is their porosity. They lose 5-10psi day to day. It's worth it for my clinchers though. Much improved ride over the butyl rubber tubes.

Have you looked into a tubeless conversion via Stan's or Calfee?
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #20062
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,905
Fixing flats

Quote:

I used them in mtb tires and while a little heavy, much better than changing flats, never used them on the road.

A cause of flats besides the obvious is over inflating your tires. I weigh 200 and 100psi in a 23c tires is more than enough. Over inflated tires have a harder time deforming over debris and cut more easily.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #20063
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I'll check out the Specialized Armadillos. .
Note, Armadillo isn't a specific tire, its their branding for puncture resistant versions. hmm, let me look them up online... oh great, they diddled with the website, now nothing is where I was used to... yeah, crossroads and hemisphere each come in several 26x1.95 versions. some are reflective, I like that. the crossroads have a little more tread but are still basically street rollers.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #20064
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So far, I've organized last year's receipts so I can do my taxes, thought about going for a ride (then realizing that its Thurs and UW Hockey nite), and futzed about online.

I haven't seen any bike shop mgt jobs open in the area. I may head over to our biggest competitor tomorrow and say howdy

M
Do any of you bike shop employees try and write off your bikes on your taxes? I buy several new bikes every year just so I have the current bikes and can relate to the customers about what they are looking at. I also do R and D testing on the new stuff so we know what issues are going to arise with the new stuff. My accountant said this is a legitimate job expense but said that it might raise a big red flag that I spend 15% of my yearly income on bikes. They recommended not writing the bikes off.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #20065
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Note, Armadillo isn't a specific tire, its their branding for puncture resistant versions. hmm, let me look them up online... oh great, they diddled with the website, now nothing is where I was used to... yeah, crossroads and hemisphere each come in several 26x1.95 versions. some are reflective, I like that. the crossroads have a little more tread but are still basically street rollers.
I work with a guy who rides his bike to work every day on Crossroads Armadillos, they are the Elite version with the 120TPI casing. He has them setup tube-less. He has never gotten a flat tire in about 15,000 miles of commuting. He rips that bike through the local single track on those tires on an almost daily basis. He runs about 30 Psi front and 35 Psi back (on road and off road) and hardly anyone can keep up with him. He will argue up and down that those tires are not just street rollers.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #20066
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I work with a guy who rides his bike to work every day on Crossroads Armadillos, they are the Elite version with the 120TPI casing. He has them setup tube-less. He has never gotten a flat tire in about 15,000 miles of commuting. He rips that bike through the local single track on those tires on an almost daily basis. He runs about 30 Psi front and 35 Psi back (on road and off road) and hardly anyone can keep up with him. He will argue up and down that those tires are not just street rollers.
I like semislicks like that, smooth rollers, they do great on hard pack dirt, really anything short of mud and sand.

thats this tire for the uniniated, I haven't tried these, but your friend's experience meets my expectations :)

they come 700x38 and 26x1.95, and ouch, are a $60 tire. onyl this one is 120tpi, the rest of the versions are 60tpi

and, mmm, was just looking at the nimbus armadillo elite 700x38, also 120tpi, for my hybrid, as my current tom slicks are getting old and sketchy looking.

pierce screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 08:11 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #20067
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Next time you watch one of those smarmy BMX videos where they land sweet trick after sweet trick, well.... Just remember this:

Crash Party - 'Surfin for the Ugly Broads' from Bone Deth Video WasteLand on Vimeo.

Just one to say OW OW ow!!!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #20068
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
2nd place in the first race and 10th in the second race. 10th place was all luck considering there was a break of 7 that lapped the course and caught the pack... Tour de Moore RR and Brick city crits coming up this weekend. Feels good to be racing again.
Good Luck on Tour De Moore. I did that twice eons ago it's good to hear it's still around. Good bike races seem to come and go. What race you doing? I'm figuring not the 100mi Pro 1,2,. When I did it it was a fast start the first 5-6 miles were downhill. Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #20069
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

[QUOTE=Gummee!;15781517]So one of us got let go for texting the wrong thing to the wrong person today.

Evidently, what *I* thought was slightly crude, yet funny, wasn't taken that way.

Since she has the owner wrapped around her finger, I get the boot.

I got the impression my days were numbered when they brought in the new guy and they were just LOOKING for a reason. Since I gave em one, guess what?! [George Thorogood]Out the door I go.[/GT]

I knew this gig was temporary, I just didn't figger on THIS temporary.

M[/QUOTBummer so what now.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #20070
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
They are heavy, mostly because they're stupid thick. I have a pair in 700x28 mounted on a 2nd pair of wheels for commuting on the CX bike. They roll well enough and have good grip in the wet. I honestly don't know what I would have to run over to puncture them. Roofing nails, maybe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: