Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #20071
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
they come 700x38 and 26x1.95, and ouch, are a $60 tire. onyl this one is 120tpi, the rest of the versions are 60tpi

and, mmm, was just looking at the nimbus armadillo elite 700x38, also 120tpi, for my hybrid, as my current tom slicks are getting old and sketchy looking.
Yea, they are pricey. Go to a shop and feel the casing on the elite tire vs the regular armadillo tire. You will be sold right there. I have a pair of all condition armadilo elite 700x25 on my cyclocross bike. I put them on to replace a regular pair of armadillo tires, it was a night and day difference.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #20072
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Do any of you bike shop employees try and write off your bikes on your taxes? I buy several new bikes every year just so I have the current bikes and can relate to the customers about what they are looking at. I also do R and D testing on the new stuff so we know what issues are going to arise with the new stuff. My accountant said this is a legitimate job expense but said that it might raise a big red flag that I spend 15% of my yearly income on bikes. They recommended not writing the bikes off.
IMO/IME if you're an employee, you're better off not writing off the bikes. They're toys, not tools because you don't HAVE to have em to do your job. (don't blame me, I'm just repeating what I've found out)

If you're the owner, then you can write em off in a few different ways.

M
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #20073
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yea, they are pricey. Go to a shop and feel the casing on the elite tire vs the regular armadillo tire. You will be sold right there. I have a pair of all condition armadilo elite 700x25 on my cyclocross bike. I put them on to replace a regular pair of armadillo tires, it was a night and day difference.
+1

Regular Armadillo tires ride like rocks. Elites ride like tires.

AFA what's next: get back into either the mortgage business, or financial advising. Both things I did back before the housing blow-up of 05. I'm in a spot where I don't have rent, don't have a car payment, no credit cards. Nuthin. My monthly nut is $800 including gas and food for the weeks. Right this second, there's a list of projects around the house a mile long: paint the barn, shutters, fix the roof, etc.

M
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #20074
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
+1

Regular Armadillo tires ride like rocks. Elites ride like tires.

I can believe that in road bike sizes. In 26x1.95" the older style Hemisphere Armadillo I had weren't bad at all on a cruiser. I'm sure the 120tpi Elites are way nicer.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #20075
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
IMO/IME if you're an employee, you're better off not writing off the bikes. They're toys, not tools because you don't HAVE to have em to do your job. (don't blame me, I'm just repeating what I've found out)

If you're the owner, then you can write em off in a few different ways.

M
Even if the owner of the store encourages us to get new bikes every year?

Mine are both tools and toys. Last year I developed a system to setup tires tubeless on rims that would not work well tubeless. This took many tries and failures on my own bike before I felt confident on doing it on customers bikes. A couple months later Specialized came out with a tech bulletin on how to resolve this issue, I had already figured it out because I had the bike and and could test it. I did not have to use the customers as test mules.

This year I am experimenting with the new 142+ rear wheel setup they came out with. Currently I am working on a way to store a spare rear derailleur hanger in the rear axle of the bike. I am also experimenting with the brain forks and modifying travel.

I confident I can justify it if I get audited but not sure I want to raise red flags and go through an audit.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #20076
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:

Mine are both tools and toys. Last year I developed a system to setup tires tubeless on rims that would not work well tubeless. This took many tries and failures on my own bike before I felt confident on doing it on customers bikes. A couple months later Specialized came out with a tech bulletin on how to resolve this issue, I had already figured it out because I had the bike and and could test it. I did not have to use the customers as test mules.

This year I am experimenting with the new 142+ rear wheel setup they came out with. Currently I am working on a way to store a spare rear derailleur hanger in the rear axle of the bike. I am also experimenting with the brain forks and modifying travel.

I confident I can justify it if I get audited but not sure I want to raise red flags and go through an audit.
IANAL, this is just from my general understanding of IRS rules.

are you being paid for this R&D separately from your regular job as a employee of the LBS? Or is this a required part of your work? If either of those is true, then you can write off the non-employer-provided-but-mandated tools and materials required for these tasks. In the first case, you will be filing and paying taxes on this self employment income and can only write off as much as you earned, carrying losses forward (but you'd better earn a positive amount that you pay taxes on at least once in 3 years or they can go back and retroactively declare its all hobby and not work). And any use of this work material for pleasure or personal fitness would probably raise flags or have to factored.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #20077
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,472

Had it less than a week, and already picked up a metal wire in the tire. Hope this patch holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #20078
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:

Gotta keep sales numbers up somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #20079
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Gotta keep sales numbers up somehow.
He does not see a penny for our bikes. We get them from the manufacturer (Specialized, Trek, etc...) at roughly 50% or retail price. It is a lot less than the dealer pays.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #20080
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Good Luck on Tour De Moore. I did that twice eons ago it's good to hear it's still around. Good bike races seem to come and go. What race you doing? I'm figuring not the 100mi Pro 1,2,. When I did it it was a fast start the first 5-6 miles were downhill. Good Luck.
Thanks. Doing Cat 3/4 on Saturday. About 62 miles of rollers from what it looks like. Sponsored by New Belgium so hopefully free beer post-race like they gave us last year!

Sunday is the Brick City Crits in Sanford. Doing the 3/4 followed immediately by the 4/5.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans

Ridge screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 07:14 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #20081
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
So one of us got let go for texting the wrong thing to the wrong person today.

Evidently, what *I* thought was slightly crude, yet funny, wasn't taken that way.

Since she has the owner wrapped around her finger, I get the boot.

I got the impression my days were numbered when they brought in the new guy and they were just LOOKING for a reason. Since I gave em one, guess what?! [George Thorogood]Out the door I go.[/GT]

I knew this gig was temporary, I just didn't figger on THIS temporary.

M
I guess where I see an oversight, on behalf of the shop, is letting a wealth of knowledge walk out the door. Anymore, all shops have are snot-nosed kids, working minimum wage, who know nothing. Ask a question and you get "I don't know".

A simple, verbal reprimand would've been appropriate.

Their loss.

Good luck on your future endeavors.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #20082
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
He does not see a penny for our bikes. We get them from the manufacturer (Specialized, Trek, etc...) at roughly 50% or retail price. It is a lot less than the dealer pays.
careful. the IRS could see the difference as income, and demand taxes on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #20083
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I guess where I see an oversight, on behalf of the shop, is letting a wealth of knowledge walk out the door. Anymore, all shops have are snot-nosed kids, working minimum wage, who know nothing. Ask a question and you get "I don't know".

A simple, verbal reprimand would've been appropriate.

Their loss.

Good luck on your future endeavors.
The new guy's been doing this as long as I have, so AFA 'knowledge' there's a change of emphasis. AFA mechanic work? Different story.

M
Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #20084
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Not quite 3 hours today with a buddy. Hilly-ish ride into a headwind for 80% of the ride.

So I got fired from the bike shop, so what do I do?

Go out to the garage and work on bikes! Swapped stems around, tightened the bearings on a NOS pair of hubs I just built into a wheel, get stuff ready for sale, etc. (if ya need 9sp cassettes, lemme know!)

M
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #20085
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Did some work out in Nevada the last couple of days. On my way back through Sparks today, I stopped at Scheels to stretch my legs and have a look around. I walked out with a jersey, bibs and glasses. I guess I'll see if it really is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission when TheWifester gets wind of my purchases.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: