Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #20131
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Nope, most just have a aluminum bottom bracket shell and dropouts. Full carbon tubes. The new trek mountain and road bikes do not have a single spec of AL in the frames except for the watterbottle bolts. The dropouts are full carbon and the bottom brackets press in like a headset so no aluminum inset is needed.

It is amazing that someone who is into bicycles as much as you are does no know this? They have never been carbon over al tube, even the first specialized epic road bikes were full carbon tubes.
The only thing that's carbon over AL are some stems. There's no way to get the shaping, etc with AL anywhere near them tubes.

I'm in an off week. Since my first 'peak' of the year supposedly happened last week, I'm free to eff off doing whatever this week and next, then back at it. I'm probably gonna hafta re-do my schedule around a new gig tho. That's NOT gonna be good for my training!

M
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #20132
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
The bike I'd be buying isn't the Race or Team machine. The ones I looked at were the road racer The front of the bike is carbon fiber ,and rear of bike is Alm.
BTDT from Competitive Cyclist. Smoking deal on the full bike with SRAM Rival but I had some quirks about it I did not like. Number one being the fit of the frame. I first tried a medium and rode it for about 2-3 weeks. figured out it was way too small. Luckily, CC has a kickass return and customer service policy, so they swapped me a Large frame free. I rode it another month or so and even did Blood, Sweat and Gears on it last year. While it was a bit better fit and ridiculously stiff, I just could not find that feeling of the right position no matter how much I tweaked and tried to copy my previous setup.

One of the most glaring problems to me though was the poor fitting of the rear derailleur to the dropout hanger. I had this problem on both frames I test rode and went so far as to contact CC and BMC with my concerns. I sent them pics and they were silent. In the end, I sent the bike back to CC and got a full refund. They were completely cool with me from beginning to end though and I still talk with the guy that helped me configure the frame.

Here are the pics of my concern if you're interested:

You can see that the derailleur stop on the hanger that prevents it from rotating forward and resting against the chain stay has less than 1mm of material holding it. I tried three ways from Sunday to figure out why they would design it this way, but to no avail. I figured after a year of hard racing, climbing and sprinting, that little stop would be worn and the derailleur would be tucked neatly against the chain stay... I could fit a nickel in-between the stop tab and the hanger body.

It was a gorgeous bike though.

Ridge screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 08:35 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #20133
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The only thing that's carbon over AL are some stems. There's no way to get the shaping, etc with AL anywhere near them tubes.

I'm in an off week. Since my first 'peak' of the year supposedly happened last week, I'm free to eff off doing whatever this week and next, then back at it. I'm probably gonna hafta re-do my schedule around a new gig tho. That's NOT gonna be good for my training!

M
There are also some cheep "carbon" seatposts out there that are just wrapped AL seatposts.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #20134
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
BTDT from Ceompetitive Cyclist. Smoking deal on the full bike with SRAM Rival but I had some quirks about it I did not like. Number one being the fit of the frame. I first tried a medium and rode it for about 2-3 weeks. figured out it was way too small. Luckily, CC has a kickass return and customer service policy, so they swapped me a Large frame free. I rode it another month or so and even did Blood, Sweat and Gears on it last year. While it was a bit better fit and ridiculously stiff, I just could not find that feeling of the right position no matter how much I tweaked and tried to copy my previous setup.

One of the most glaring problems to me though was the poor fitting of the rear derailleur to the dropout hanger. I had this problem on both frames I test rode and went so far as to contact CC and BMC with my concerns. I sent them pics and they were silent. In the end, I sent the bike back to CC and got a full refund. They were completely cool with me from beginning to end though and I still talk with the guy that helped me configure the frame.

Here are the pics of my concern if you're interested:

You can see that the derailleur stop on the hanger that prevents it from rotating forward and resting against the chain stay has less than 1mm of material holding it. I tried three ways from Sunday to figure out why they would design it this way, but to no avail. I figured after a year of hard racing, climbing and sprinting, that little stop would be worn and the derailleur would be tucked neatly against the chain stay... I could fit a nickel in-between the stop tab and the hanger body.

That is shitty, I wonder if a replacement hanger from Wheels Mfg. would have a redesigned stop. That was pretty awesome of CC to take the frame back.

Edit: I wonder is that is a problem with Sram, did you try a campy or shimano derailleur on there? Although they may have been worse because their B-tension screws push against the tab, so it might have stripped the tab off.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #20135
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That is shitty, I wonder if a replacement hanger from Wheels Mfg. would have a redesigned stop. That was pretty awesome of CC to take the frame back.

Edit: I wonder is that is a problem with Sram, did you try a campy or shimano derailleur on there? Although they may have been worse because their B-tension screws push against the tab, so it might have stripped the tab off.
Now that I think about it, I have seen this issue on other frames when using shimano with larger cassettes. You have to crank the b-tension in to compensate for the cassette and then the screw moves away from the hanger and strips the tab off.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #20136
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:

I tried contacting sram directly and even had CC try through their sram account reps. They offered no explanation other than saying it was a BMC problem. Everyone pointing fingers at everyone else, so I gave up. I did not try any other derailleurs but I did take it in to my LBS and they tried what you mentioned with the B-tension with no success.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #20137
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Just got back from a 1:18 toodle around another block. Legs felt REALLY good today for some reason. If I hadn't run across another local (!) I coulda been home 10min earlier, but I rode a little ways out of the way to chat with him.

He was riding an old Fuso that his dad had given him. He didn't know jack squat about it tho.

Now its time to clean up so I can go bleed the clutch on the Goldwing. It runs but doesn't move under its own power Its either the clutch (doubtful), the slave (maybe), or the master cylinder (probable) that's hosed. I'm gonna start with the easy stuff and work my way up the difficulty scale.

M
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #20138
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Just got back from a 1:18 toodle around another block. Legs felt REALLY good today for some reason. If I hadn't run across another local (!) I coulda been home 10min earlier, but I rode a little ways out of the way to chat with him.

He was riding an old Fuso that his dad had given him. He didn't know jack squat about it tho.

Now its time to clean up so I can go bleed the clutch on the Goldwing. It runs but doesn't move under its own power Its either the clutch (doubtful), the slave (maybe), or the master cylinder (probable) that's hosed. I'm gonna start with the easy stuff and work my way up the difficulty scale.

M
But hey now you've got the time to f around with it....... Always got have a sliver lining.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #20139
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
It is amazing that someone who is into bicycles as much as you are does no know this? They have never been carbon over al tube, even the first specialized epic road bikes were full carbon tubes.
my road bike is steel and nearly 40 years old. I've never owned a carbon bike.

I do believe the first generation carbon bikes, Graftek, I think they were called? from the late 70s, were carbon fiber wrapped on aluminum tubes, and I really haven't paid that much attention to modern race bikes.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #20140
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Warning MC content: the 'Wing moves. Under its own power no less.

Needs TLC in the braking system. I've got 1 out of 3 calipers working at the moment. Also needs TLC in the clutch. IDK it because its been sitting in one spot for 3 years that the clutch slips like a mofo when you roll on it, but it slips like a mofo when you roll on it. Catches up eventually and all is sorta good. IDK if I ride it like that will it eventually be OK, or is the entire thing fubar-ed and I *need* a new one. I've never had a wet clutch bike before (that needed work) so I'm

Dad also has a windscreen that's bigger'n some car screens on there. Wind goes completely over and/or around me. Not bueno. If I wanted a car, I'd be driving the Mercedes!

Otherwise, seems to have a bunch of power. Once you're moving, the weight kinda disappears. Reappears when you hafta maneuver the thing around tho. I can acutally paddle this one backwards with my legs. Something I haven't been able to do with my Beemers.

I'm thinkin hitch mount bike rack and I've got fun getting to the fun.

M
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #20141
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,447
The slipping clutch could be because of sitting so long the clutch disks and plates could be stuck together or dried out. That is just a guess without being able to see the disks or plates.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #20142
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,024
Quote:

I'm guessing a Sram issue, I looked at my bike, the exact same model and color and my Campy tab hits nice and is square with the hanger. In fact, the tab on the derailer in your picture doesn't even look very square, it looks more like a bent over tab than it does forged or milled.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #20143
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Good ride tonight. Got to meet Yeti (John) and talk briefly before the group headed out. He was very kind to have drawn me out a map and cue sheet in the event I made a wrong turn, or fell off the pack. When the strong guys jumped, I went with them and stayed in their sights the whole route. I don't think they expected me to hang with them the entire ride from some of the looks I kept getting...

Averaged 22.2 for 34 miles and had a great chance to see new roads and play with some bridging attempts to their strongest rider. Need to do that one more often. Thanks John for all the help and reminding me of that ride. It was a fun one.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #20144
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I'm guessing a Sram issue, I looked at my bike, the exact same model and color and my Campy tab hits nice and is square with the hanger. In fact, the tab on the derailer in your picture doesn't even look very square, it looks more like a bent over tab than it does forged or milled.

I think so as well and my LBS concurred. Just too bad Sram would not acknowledge the fact and try to fix it. I really liked that bike.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #20145
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Good ride tonight. Got to meet Yeti (John) and talk briefly before the group headed out. He was very kind to have drawn me out a map and cue sheet in the event I made a wrong turn, or fell off the pack. When the strong guys jumped, I went with them and stayed in their sights the whole route. I don't think they expected me to hang with them the entire ride from some of the looks I kept getting...

Averaged 22.2 for 34 miles and had a great chance to see new roads and play with some bridging attempts to their strongest rider. Need to do that one more often. Thanks John for all the help and reminding me of that ride. It was a fun one.
it was see ya after the second hill.I took a shortcut trying to get in front of the group,but the wind sucked. A couple dropped guys caught up to me and rode the rest of the way with them. still was 2 3/4 hrs and 45.mi not a bad ride

Good meet'n ya Ridge (james) hope you'll come out again. Aren't those chip and seal roads fun (tranlated to) bumpy as hell.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: