Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #20161
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
hah. I paid $1200 for my last 'good used car' thats my current daily driver :-p

makes a great bicycle carrier, too. 1992 volvo 740 turbowagon.
You did good with that, My Surly was about that. But the Caad 9 5 yrs ago was $2600. And that is cheap.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #20162
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

So Ridge
How are ya feeling after your weekend exploits (sp)? and what's your mileage per week ?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #20163
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
I'm afraid to ask how much. But man o man...
About $9000 for the frame only. I built 2 of them for a couple that lives in Vail. They wanted them to ride on the rail trails there. I can't remember what the total was exactly but in the neighborhood of $30k for 2 bikes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #20164
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
About $9000 for the frame only. I built 2 of them for a couple that lives in Vail. They wanted them to ride on the rail trails there. I can't remember what the total was exactly but in the neighborhood of $30k for 2 bikes.
I make sure my knees brush my TT every pedal stroke. I'm skeered what them sharp things would do to my inner thighs!

M
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #20165
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I make sure my knees brush my TT every pedal stroke. I'm skeered what them sharp things would do to my inner thighs!

M
LOL, like a cheese grader. Plus the top tube is about 4" in diameter.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #20166
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So Ridge
How are ya feeling after your weekend exploits (sp)? and what's your mileage per week ?

Surprisingly better than I expected. Legs were on fire after the triple header last weekend and that's an unusual thing for me to feel pain after a race. The recovery ride Monday and last night's sufferfest was probably the best thing for them.

I try to average at least 30 miles per day Mon-Thurs. and as many as I can on the weekends I'm not racing (which is not often right now). I need some hill time in to get ready for Blood, Sweat and gears in a little over a month.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #20167
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
You did good with that, My Surly was about that.....
I probably should include that I had to repair a fuel pump issue for a few $100, and new rims and tires for about $600 and installed a trailer hitch, and have bought some suspension bits (heavy duty springs in back, swaybars front and rear, and new bilsteins and some poly bushings) that I've yet to install, and I knew going into it that it was going to need a new head gasket eventually ($1000), so its really a $5000 used car. when all is said and done.

with a yakima rack (already had 90% of it, got the towers on craigslist cheap), and a hitchrack, I could carry 6 bikes on this baby in style, and a ton of sag gear...

Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #20168
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Surprisingly better than I expected. Legs were on fire after the triple header last weekend and that's an unusual thing for me to feel pain after a race. The recovery ride Monday and last night's sufferfest was probably the best thing for them.

I try to average at least 30 miles per day Mon-Thurs. and as many as I can on the weekends I'm not racing (which is not often right now). I need some hill time in to get ready for Blood, Sweat and gears in a little over a month.

Did you hit some decent Watts on ride last night,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #20169
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
I probably should include that I had to repair a fuel pump issue for a few $100, and new rims and tires for about $600 and installed a trailer hitch, and have bought some suspension bits (heavy duty springs in back, swaybars front and rear, and new bilsteins and some poly bushings) that I've yet to install, and I knew going into it that it was going to need a new head gasket eventually ($1000), so its really a $5000 used car. when all is said and done.

with a yakima rack (already had 90% of it, got the towers on craigslist cheap), and a hitchrack, I could carry 6 bikes on this baby in style, and a ton of sag gear...
Your post reminds me about my old 240 wagon. I loved that car, sold it to a bicyclists and I still see it around with racks, and stickers. I miss "The Tank"
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #20170
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Your post reminds me about my old 240 wagon. I loved that car, sold it to a bicyclists and I still see it around with racks, and stickers. I miss "The Tank"
My neighber had one of these for 15 yrs put a bizzllion miles on it. He loved it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #20171
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
have bought some suspension bits (heavy duty springs in back, swaybars front and rear, and new bilsteins and some poly bushings) that I've yet to install
Nice choice in upgrades. I wouldn't have figured the guy who rides old stuff to be so spendy on quality upgrades.

I have Bilsteins on my truck and have sold several sets to discerning motorists. However, trying to explain why they're worth the money to the average person is fruitless.

I would, however, caution you against installing poly bushings into controls arms, suspension links, or leaf springs. They are really harsh and transmit everything through the body. No matter how much grease/lube you use on the install, they always squeak (without zerks). Though, I've found they're fine on swaybars, provided they have grease zerks on the pivot bushings.

I'm hoping to acquire a set of oversize Baer rotors for my truck, next. I'd love to do an STS turbo kit, but, that'd take away too much money from my other interests.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #20172
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Did you hit some decent Watts on ride last night,
Not bad for a group ride. Averaged 174 watts & 150HR, peaked at 660 watts and 181HR. Normalized power was 241 watts. It was about a mile faster per hour than my boring solo rides and a helluva lot more fun mixing it up with other fast guys. Just wish I could get a group like that going around my neck of the woods.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #20173
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Nice 42 mile team ride this evening on the Trek 2nd District. Noticed my budy got dropped via mechanical so I went back after him then it was an all out sufferfest chasing for what seemed like an eternity but we finally made it climbing out of the valley. Awesome DRY evening

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #20174
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Not bad for a group ride. Averaged 174 watts & 150HR, peaked at 660 watts and 181HR. Normalized power was 241 watts. It was about a mile faster per hour than my boring solo rides and a helluva lot more fun mixing it up with other fast guys. Just wish I could get a group like that going around my neck of the woods.
Well come on out every couple of weeks or once a month, did you catch the gal on the Pink Trek world class inline skater and a hell of a rider. BTW she's 57 that'll give you something to shoot for in your older age

Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #20175
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,724
I went and did stupid tonight.

Over the weekend with all my fun in the garage with the final drive on the adventure, and then this wedding we went to on Saturday I somehow managed to tweak my bad knee.

At least the good one is still good.

Last night while sat through another three hour class after ten hours of work I used some icy hot on it and wrapped it up in an elastic bandage.
I applied some ice to the problem in the form of four cubes drizzled with singlemalt.

Took two doses of that to get things to where I felt I could sleep.

Slept pretty good and by morning, (my mornings begin about 4:30 AM)

All day in the cube I felt the knee was pretty normal. IT had been feeling similar to what it does when I blow the ACL out and it was only a little swollen. None of that by the time I got home.

So.......

being the stubborn guy I am I saddled up for a spin. I figured a light spin down to the bridge and back about 12 miles or so.

About 2 miles form the bridge I pass Paul heading home going the other way. He had the Surley wound up to stun bag and all, I slowed turned and chased back to him. That expenditure of what little energy I had left form the day pretty much did me. The little bump of a hill up from the river to the road hammered the final nail in good and tight.

Paul of course spun the Surley up that knob like it wasn't there.

I caught back on in about a mile but knew I was done. Thankfully he slowed to around 15 mph so I could catch my breath and save something for the mile hill back to the house.

I get back and my knee is not as good as it was.

Not as bad as it was two days ago either. So, I figure I need a few more days of rest.
Med free for now.

My last day to ride for a month will be Saturday. That may be out of the question. I'll be falling ever further and further behind in my training. I guess I'll have to make up for it with healthier eating, and walking when things feel good.
I hope to get a hike in two weeks while up North. By early June I will get back here to the bike and I can work my way back up to riding to the ocean again, and then leave for another month of no bicycles.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: