Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #20161
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
You're gonna hurt yourself while trying to pull those idiots back into the gene pool. Last Saturday, during the second climb (Sand Mountain) of the century, this fool decided to ride up the middle of the road next to the double yellow. By now the field had stretched out and there were no big groups, so it was individual riders grunting up the hill. He was moving along pretty well and I struggled to keep pace. First "car back" incident and he didn't budge from his line. I heard another car and yelled "Hey numbnuts, CAR BACK!" Still, his dogged determination to stay his course never wavered. I made the determination to catch him so I did after a grueling couple of minutes. Pulled up to him, tapped him on the shoulder, he looked over and pulled out his earbuds. I said, "Do you wanna get flattened? Drivers around here don't give a fuck about you. I live around here and I know WTF I'm talking about." The message sunk in and he said "Thanks". Some people. The good news is I was able to drop him and climb that mountain like never before. A little bit of anger is good sometimes.

Good job on calling him out. Not so much for his sake, but hopefully it put some sense through that melon of his. We try to catch those idiots with earbuds before we leave the parking lot, but some of them inevitably slip through.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #20162
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Time is counting down to the Tour Divide. I've built up my rig and put about 1000 miles on it in the past two months. A Salsa Fargo Ti with a SON 28 Dynamo hub. Pretty awesome.
I'd love to ride it; not race it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #20163
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Time is counting down to the Tour Divide. I've built up my rig and put about 1000 miles on it in the past two months. A Salsa Fargo Ti with a SON 28 Dynamo hub. Pretty awesome. Here are some pics from a shakedown ride starting in Carmel and heading south.
Color me very green with envy as well. Matthew Lee lives one town over from me and I bump into him occasionally on my after work rides. He doesn't say much, but he is a ridiculously strong rider.

On another note... the UPS man delivereth!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #20164
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Exploring Baltimore by bicycle is...exhilarating. I almost had to kick a city bus today!
FWI've heard, I'm surprised you didn't get bike-jacked or shot!

M
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #20165
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
I got to thinkin about my hour-long toodle yesterday AM. For some, an hour ride is LONG. For me, it was loosening my legs. Long doesn't start till after hour 3...

I'm off to go get a master cylinder rebuild kit for the Wing. Gotta take off that side exhaust, etc. Effing Honda.

M
Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #20166
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I made the determination to catch him so I did after a grueling couple of minutes. Pulled up to him, tapped him on the shoulder, he looked over and pulled out his earbuds. I said, "Do you wanna get flattened? Drivers around here don't give a fuck about you. I live around here and I know WTF I'm talking about." The message sunk in and he said "Thanks". Some people. The good news is I was able to drop him and climb that mountain like never before. A little bit of anger is good sometimes.
I used to ride with a guy like that and since he wouldn't quit using them I quit riding with him. I'm not going to babysit someone who in his own way, is suicidal by doing so.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #20167
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
On another note... the UPS man delivereth!

What are we building?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #20168
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
What are we building?

2010 CAAD9. Went up to a 56 from a 54 and changing over to BB30.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #20169
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Lights on a bike

I want to ride brevets and as such, I'll incur some nighttime riding. I had to make a choice: batteries or dynohub, LED or halogen. Peter White seems to be the US expert on these devices so after spending a fair amount of time on his site, I went with a dynohub and selected a Schmidt SON28S unit - made in Germany.

This dynohub was built into a new set of wheels using Velocity A23 rims. I had a rear wheel built also with the same rim and a XT hub. The rear wheel and new front light arrived today - the rest will be here on Monday. They aren't the lightest wheels in the world but I'm not the lightest guy either.

The front light, a Schmidt Edelux, is tiny. I've seen pictures of it before but didn't realize exactly how small it was. It features a LED light, automatic daylight sensor, magnetic switch, spade for connecting a rear light and the light will remain on for about 4 minutes when you stop.

Can't wait for the other package to arrive on Monday.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #20170
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Yeah, it was definitely the suck. I should be out at the Farmer's Market next Tuesday as long as the weather cooperates.
I might not make it. I'll let you know. This week has been my light week .After 210mi two weeks ago,Went from 0mi 2months ago to 210 in 8 weeks not good. I cut back to170ish last week this week I'll probably get 130-150 range. I'm goona build up 8-10% per week from there.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #20171
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I want to ride brevets and as such, I'll incur some nighttime riding. I had to make a choice: batteries or dynohub, LED or halogen. Peter White seems to be the US expert on these devices so after spending a fair amount of time on his site, I went with a dynohub and selected a Schmidt SON28S unit - made in Germany.

This dynohub was built into a new set of wheels using Velocity A23 rims. I had a rear wheel built also with the same rim and a XT hub. The rear wheel and new front light arrived today - the rest will be here on Monday. They aren't the lightest wheels in the world but I'm not the lightest guy either.

The front light, a Schmidt Edelux, is tiny. I've seen pictures of it before but didn't realize exactly how small it was. It features a LED light, automatic daylight sensor, magnetic switch, spade for connecting a rear light and the light will remain on for about 4 minutes when you stop.

Can't wait for the other package to arrive on Monday.
That is SWEET! Can you flip the reflector so you can mount it either way? I have been thinking about one of those and keep meaning to ask.....
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #20172
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That is SWEET! Can you flip the reflector so you can mount it either way? I have been thinking about one of those and keep meaning to ask.....
Not sure I follow - flip the reflector and mount it upside down? I think the recommendations are that these will collect too much water if you do that so it's not recommended.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #20173
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Not sure I follow - flip the reflector and mount it upside down? I think the recommendations are that these will collect too much water if you do that so it's not recommended.
Yeah, If I remember right, the mounting bracket is on the bottom of the unit. If the unit hangs from the bracket (with the bracket on top). It is less likely to loosen up on long dirt rides.

Most of the good units you can not mount "upside down". The light pattern is wrong if you do it.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #20174
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
2010 CAAD9. Went up to a 56 from a 54 and changing over to BB30.
Oh that's right! I totally forgot. Pffft!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #20175
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
FWI've heard, I'm surprised you didn't get bike-jacked or shot!

M
It's not that bad. And it's not like I ride slowly through bad neighborhoods shouting racial epithets. I mostly stuck to the student neighborhoods. The worst part was the roads. They're HORRIFIC.

I talked to some of the nice gents at twenty20 cycling, the local (and only!) Specialized dealer in town. They say that as long as you're not a bloody moron your bike should be fine. And it's true; I left my rebuilt old Schwinn with crap parts locked up by its frame and front wheel downtown for a week straight and didn't have any problems. Didn't even lose my lights.

Now, I was looking at a property, and this guy had locked up a pretty decent Hardrock by it's front quick-release wheel next door. He hadn't locked up the frame.

Sure enough, next day it's gone. Only the front wheel left.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: