User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #20251
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
I have never heard of Yokozuna cables, I'll have to check them out.

There is not substitute for good clean cables. I am a fan of never lubing cables, just replace cables and housing when issues begin to arise. Once you lube them you will attract dust and dirt like crazy and will need to lube them constantly.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #20252
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
In my case, a Lynskey.
Which reminds me. I was riding in the boonies last Monday and noticed a guy at the end of his driveway getting his mail. He gave me a long look and was wearing a Lynskey Tshirt. Nothing but farms out there. On Thursday while at the LBS, I was going over a map with the sales guy showing him the route, and he says I rode right by David Lynskey's house. Ah ha, that would explain the "farmer" in the Lynskey t-shirt.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #20253
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Which reminds me. I was riding in the boonies last Monday and noticed a guy at the end of his driveway getting his mail. He gave me a long look and was wearing a Lynskey Tshirt. Nothing but farms out there. On Thursday while at the LBS, I was going over a map with the sales guy showing him the route, and he says I rode right by David Lynskey's house. Ah ha, that would explain the "farmer" in the Lynskey t-shirt.
Let me guess.......you weren't on a Lynskey.

I'm thinking if you were, he'd a probably invited you up.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #20254
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
In my case, a Lynskey.
That one went over my head.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #20255
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I've also used Jagwire with good success, but I believe there is better to be had. I'm going to give these a go on the new CAAD9 build coming up.

http://www.yokozunausa.com/reactionkit.html
Buddy of mine just put those on his Tarmac. Still raving about the shifting performance.

Me? Stock housing with teflon-coated cables work just fine and are LOTS less expensive!

On a ride tales note: Got talked into driving down to Culpeper yesterday afternoon to ride with a buddy. 'yeah, the ride has 2 7-mile climbs...' I was figgering on ride for a bit, climb for a bit, then ride for a bit and climb home. What I got was park a mile or two from the bottom of the climb to Skyline Drive, climb up and over the hill, back down the other side, turn around and go back.

40-ish min after I left the parking lot, I was at Skyline Drive. Waited for a bit, then took off down the other side.

Looked back and all I see is dump truck! I don't think I dropped below 55kph the entire trip down the hill. Frequently I was going close to 70kph! ...on a hill I hadn't seen before!

To make matters worse, I brought my wheelset with a big cog of 23t! That meant I HAD to go X speed to even get up the damn thing in the frist place, much less save my knees. I settled in at 15kph or so (+/-1kph) for the trip up the hill(s).

I was around 5th one up to the top going and the 3rd to the top coming back.

How's THAT for a sprinter?!

I doubt I'll do that again tho. Stupid ride. Straight up and straight back? No thanks. Now, if the ride had been 'ride 10mi or so to the bottom of the hill, climb the hill, then ride back' I'da been happier.

M
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #20256
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
S'OK took me a bit too.

I've had the same thing happen: go in for something nice and walk out with a new frameset.

Yeah, I'm like that too

M
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #20257
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
On a ride tales note: Got talked into driving down to Culpeper yesterday afternoon to ride with a buddy. 'yeah, the ride has 2 7-mile climbs...' I was figgering on ride for a bit, climb for a bit, then ride for a bit and climb home. What I got was park a mile or two from the bottom of the climb to Skyline Drive, climb up and over the hill, back down the other side, turn around and go back.

40-ish min after I left the parking lot, I was at Skyline Drive. Waited for a bit, then took off down the other side.

Looked back and all I see is dump truck! I don't think I dropped below 55kph the entire trip down the hill. Frequently I was going close to 70kph! ...on a hill I hadn't seen before!

To make matters worse, I brought my wheelset with a big cog of 23t! That meant I HAD to go X speed to even get up the damn thing in the frist place, much less save my knees. I settled in at 15kph or so (+/-1kph) for the trip up the hill(s).

I was around 5th one up to the top going and the 3rd to the top coming back.

How's THAT for a sprinter?!

I doubt I'll do that again tho. Stupid ride. Straight up and straight back? No thanks. Now, if the ride had been 'ride 10mi or so to the bottom of the hill, climb the hill, then ride back' I'da been happier.

M
I need a good hill like that around here to do power tests and hill intervals on. Everything we have is steep, but short.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #20258
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I need a good hill like that around here to do power tests and hill intervals on. Everything we have is steep, but short.
I much prefer steep and short to long and grindy.

Name ONE race we're gonna race that's gonna have 30+ min of climbing. None of the RRs around here do. No crits. EVER!

Went out for an hour easy this AM. Legs felt yesterday.

M
Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #20259
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
I much prefer steep and short to long and grindy.

Name ONE race we're gonna race that's gonna have 30+ min of climbing. None of the RRs around here do. No crits. EVER!

Went out for an hour easy this AM. Legs felt yesterday.

M
Only one RR I can think of in our area is the French Broad Classic. I need the hill training more for BSG and Bridge to Bridge. Have to drive 2-3 hours to find longer climbs.

Weather is being a PITA today. Cold, drizzly and general grayish. I may just sit in front of the TV on the rollers...
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Old 05-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #20260
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer: 449
Have you seen this?

Hello,

I don't frequent this thread much, but I wanted to share this YouTube video with you, because hey, you guys get it.

Performance
http://youtu.be/Vn29DvMITu4

Last year's road trip: MN - UT - OR - MN

TraumaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #20261
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
You posted 'What do "nice" cables buy you?' after my post. I assumed you wondered what I would buy to justify the cable purchase. In my case a Lynskey frame built into a killer bike. Otherwise, I won't buy the cables.

In truth, I'll probably try them, next round.

Quote:
S'OK took me a bit too.

I've had the same thing happen: go in for something nice and walk out with a new frameset.

Yeah, I'm like that too

M
Yep, you get it.

There's no sense in buying a nice set of Mavics and throwing them into the latest Wal-Mart offering. Put something nice around those wheels!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #20262
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaQueen View Post
Hello,

I don't frequent this thread much, but I wanted to share this YouTube video with you, because hey, you guys get it.

Performance
http://youtu.be/Vn29DvMITu4
That's just brilliant! Pretty much hit the head on everything.....sorta' like the Bike Snob.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #20263
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
You posted 'What do "nice" cables buy you?' after my post. I assumed you wondered what I would buy to justify the cable purchase. In my case a Lynskey frame built into a killer bike. Otherwise, I won't buy the cables.

In truth, I'll probably try them, next round.

Yep, you get it.

There's no sense in buying a nice set of Mavics and throwing them into the latest Wal-Mart offering. Put something nice around those wheels!
Ahhh. I get it. After a bit I was thinking maybe you got a set with a Lenskey....

I have a seat I just bought a frame for.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #20264
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

I'll add another notch in the belt of stupid things I've done. Left the office for a ride and got caught in a thunderstorm with LOTS of lightning and no shelter in sight. it was like pedaling into a wall of water. 20% chance of scattered rain my ass...

While this is dumb enough to qualify on its own merit; you should also know that, due to my laziness, I did not change out my wheel set from my races Tuesday. Carbon wheels with carbon-specific pads = NO brakes in the rain! Cue multiple butt-puckering moments as I rode into town...

I should have taken my own advice and rode the rollers in front of the TV.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #20265
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,439
Exploring Baltimore by bicycle is...exhilarating. I almost had to kick a city bus today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: