Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #20506
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalazu View Post
For those certified as a USAC C-Level Official (or better) that wish to obtain the motoref certification, there is a clinic taking place in Morgantown, West Virginia on 26 June 2011 from 9am until 3pm

Already signed up and planning to do the Hill Billy Roubiax the day before. Still deciding single speed or gears

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #20507
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Don't spend any money on that. In order to make a fixie you will need a new wheel, new chain, cog, probably a new crank with a single speed ring.

If you are ambitious and cheap like me, you can convert that to a fixie with little or no money, maybe a bottle of beer.

I took my freehub off the hub, removed all the plastic seals and dust covers.

On the side of the freehub closest to the spokes, I welded the thing together, cleaned up the welds and put it back together with fresh grease.

This may not work on some freehubs that have external ratcheting teeth. Mine was a 105 freehub

NOTE: DO NOT try to weld the freehub to the hub

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #20508
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Don't spend any money on that. In order to make a fixie you will need a new wheel, new chain, cog, probably a new crank with a single speed ring.
hey, I singlespeeded a mtn bike that still had a triple ring and cluster but no derailleurs (yet) by just short-chained it. the bike had vertical dropouts, so I found a gear in the mid range that had the right chain length.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #20509
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,026
Quote:
Sorry, but you don't need a new wheel, a new chain, or a new crank to make that a SS or fixed.

Probably just a few hub spacers, some crank ring fasteners if you decide to turn the crank inside out to get a straighter line to the rear, and a SS or fixed cog to throw onto the old threaded hub.

I didn't even need hub spacers for this one...

to this-
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #20510
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Sorry, but you don't need a new wheel, a new chain, or a new crank to make that a SS or fixed....

nice trek frame!

I think you posted that before, but I'm too lazy to dig it up... which trek frame is that? my son's roadie is a 77 trek lx300 in very good condition.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #20511
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Good ride planned this weekend. 48.5 mi. of dirt roads up in the mountains. 5800 ft. of elevation gain with some grades in the 20% zone. I'm just gonna channel my inner Askel and keep reminding myself that I'm having fun.. Then it's off to San Diego all of June for work. Hey Gummee, I'm taking the bike; where's the good riding at down there?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #20512
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
where's the good riding at down there?
There is a ton of good riding in San Diego. If you want, PM me an email, and I will send you a gps file with a bunch of my tracks. I have tracks for the North County area, basically, north of the 56 if you are interested.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #20513
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
nice trek frame!

I think you posted that before, but I'm too lazy to dig it up... which trek frame is that? my son's roadie is a 77 trek lx300 in very good condition.
you know i sold it around 3 months ago and forget, but I did the research on the serial# and it was a custom ID, around 78/79 I believe.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #20514
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
hey, I singlespeeded a mtn bike that still had a triple ring and cluster but no derailleurs (yet) by just short-chained it. the bike had vertical dropouts, so I found a gear in the mid range that had the right chain length.
Single speed is a totally different animal than fixed gear. With fixed gear you need the drivetrain to be very reliable because it is part of your braking system. If the chain skipps or pops off of a chainring, you are probaly going to crash. At the very least have a "Oh, Fuck" moment.
You cannot just screw a fixed cog on a freewheel wheel. The cog will unscrew under braking. You need a true fixed gear hub that has a reverse lockring.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #20515
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Single speed is a totally different animal than fixed gear. With fixed gear you need the drivetrain to be very reliable because it is part of your braking system. If the chain skipps or pops off of a chainring, you are probaly going to crash. At the very least have a "Oh, Fuck" moment.
You cannot just screw a fixed cog on a freewheel wheel. The cog will unscrew under braking. You need a true fixed gear hub that has a reverse lockring.
You're right, sorry, I assumed right away he wanted a SS due to it being a MTN bike. There is a way to do it though (read Harris cycle info), but I always had a dedicated fixed hub.

I have made fixies without messing with the wheel (dish), chain, or crank though. That's pretty easy to get around.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #20516
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
There is a ton of good riding in San Diego. If you want, PM me an email, and I will send you a gps file with a bunch of my tracks. I have tracks for the North County area, basically, north of the 56 if you are interested.
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #20517
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Good ride planned this weekend. 48.5 mi. of dirt roads up in the mountains. 5800 ft. of elevation gain with some grades in the 20% zone. I'm just gonna channel my inner Askel and keep reminding myself that I'm having fun.. Then it's off to San Diego all of June for work. Hey Gummee, I'm taking the bike; where's the good riding at down there?
Make sure you hit the track for Tues night racing. They prolly won't let you race, but watching's fun too. Take the track class. Its a hoot to go round and round without worrying about cars, kids, dogs, gravel, etc.

Riding: depends on where you are and how fast you wanna go. Thurs Night Worlds is on Fiesta Island at ??6PM??

There's a few group rides: Wed at the stadium-ish (check with Adams Ave and/or High Tech)
Sat AM in the Golden Triangle with SDBC. You and 100s of your closest friends can ride up thru Rancho Santa Fe then sprint into Solana Beach
Swamis Sat AM in Encinitas. Faster than SDBC. Hillier too.

Then there's riding up and down the coast: start at the park-n-ride in Carmel Valley and ride north as far as you have time for. Return the same way. (there's a decent climb to get to Del Mar, but otherwise is fairly flat) Up the coast is where you'll have an opportunity to break your neck looking at the scenery walking by.

Then there's loops: Del Dios Hwy, The Boulevard RR course, East Co., etc. That all depends on where you are and how much time you have. I was usually N. County Coastal so lots of my rides are based up there.

M
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #20518
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Not completely true. I've commuted bunches on a non-lockringed cog. Yeah, its not as safe, but its not a death wish either.

IIRC lockrings from BBs are the same size/thread pitch as the threads on a FW hub. Double check me cause its been a while since I've ridden one.

I useta make fixed hubs out of FW Am Classic hubs all the time and never worried about lockrings.

M
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #20519
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,445
time for a new goal

The scales said that I'm now under 200 lbs for the first time since 1991. I guess that's not too bad at my height, 6'2" / 1.88m

That's a total loss of ~ 45 lbs over the last few years. Cycling gets the credit for the final push.

New goal: 195 lbs.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #20520
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Make sure you hit the track for Tues night racing. They prolly won't let you race, but watching's fun too. Take the track class. Its a hoot to go round and round without worrying about cars, kids, dogs, gravel, etc.

Riding: depends on where you are and how fast you wanna go. Thurs Night Worlds is on Fiesta Island at ??6PM??

There's a few group rides: Wed at the stadium-ish (check with Adams Ave and/or High Tech)
Sat AM in the Golden Triangle with SDBC. You and 100s of your closest friends can ride up thru Rancho Santa Fe then sprint into Solana Beach
Swamis Sat AM in Encinitas. Faster than SDBC. Hillier too.

Then there's riding up and down the coast: start at the park-n-ride in Carmel Valley and ride north as far as you have time for. Return the same way. (there's a decent climb to get to Del Mar, but otherwise is fairly flat) Up the coast is where you'll have an opportunity to break your neck looking at the scenery walking by.

Then there's loops: Del Dios Hwy, The Boulevard RR course, East Co., etc. That all depends on where you are and how much time you have. I was usually N. County Coastal so lots of my rides are based up there.

M
Cool, man. I'm staying right by the SDSU campus and will be starting all my rides from the hotel. I'm taking the CX wheelset too and am on the lookout for decent dirt trails as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: