User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #20551
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
I'm gonna disagree that Slime is a good thing. Riding round Tucson I pulled ~20 goathead thorns out of the ex's tires. Slime = no flats.

For JRA on regular roads? Not needed. Inner-city where there's nasties? Mebbe.

Did 3.5hrs yesterday around Culpeper w/ a buddy. Amazingly, the only time it went out of zone 2 was the hills. Uphill = tough for this sprinter-type. I can motor on the flats but as soon as the road tilts up its like someone tosses out a parachute behind me.

M
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #20552
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I bet that makes you the popular one in the peloton.
WTF? was the quote of the day

Just finished washing off the Gary Fisher Rig. She finished her last (5th) Mohican 100 Somewhere around the 20 mile mark she started to creak and moan. Seems like I did the last 40 or so with a slowly failing chain stay. A few more miles an it would have detached from the bottom bracket.

Finished the 100k in 6:16, 20 minutes slower than the last time but I also wasn't recovering from a spinal fusion or coughing up chunky creeping crud from my lungs either. Ended up finishing 4th single speed.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park

mgorman screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 06:45 PM
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #20553
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
I've managed to get out for a couple of rides here in San Diego. Lots of hike-a-bike through Mission Trails this morning. Apparently, in San Diego County "multi-use" trail is designed for use by hikers, pack mules and mountain goats. The riding is good though, as is the scenery.

I think I'll put on the road wheels and head over towards the beach this week and check out the...uh..."scenery" there, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #20554
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Well I rode the bike to work last night ,It was light to work, and dark home. The new head (front) light worked well. nice wide pattern of light with a strong spot about 30 ft in front. It helped missing the pot holes.

The ride wasn't bad took 1.5 hrs (24.5) to, and 1.75 hrs home. I'm not shot today I'm gonna repeat tonight, We'll see if that kills me. IF not I'll be stronger.

Hey Ridge, How did your weekend of racing go?

Ace is this Tues? I should be back from the bike trip before next Wed.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #20555
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Well I rode the bike to work last night ,It was light to work, and dark home. The new head (front) light worked well. nice wide pattern of light with a strong spot about 30 ft in front. It helped missing the pot holes.

The ride wasn't bad took 1.5 hrs (24.5) to, and 1.75 hrs home. I'm not shot today I'm gonna repeat tonight, We'll see if that kills me. IF not I'll be stronger.

Hey Ridge, How did your weekend of racing go?

Ace is this Tues? I should be back from the bike trip before next Wed.

Believe it or not, my plan reversed on me without my knowledge... I had planned to sit in the master's race on Saturday and my goal was simply to not finish last. Instead, I finished sixth in my age group and 9th overall. Sunday was to be where I put it all on the line, but apparently the "kids" wanted no part of that. I was playing dodge-bike and elbow wrestling with all the young guns trying to make a name for themselves. Did my pulls for the first couple of laps and settled in the pack for the last two. As the last lap whittled down to the 1K, I found myself curiously on point without the intention to be there that early. I stayed however and the road did not open up until the 200m mark. Despite a clean 40mph sprint, I ended up 19th in a field sprint. Lost at least 4 spots within 10 feet of the finish due to the two guys directly in front of me trying to occupy the same physical space with nearly equal objects of mass...

All in all, not a bad weekend and pushed me to petition for my upgrade out of 4 and into 3. I'm so done and over with the sketchy bike handling and posturing of the kids.

In the master's race, we had a rotating paceline of 24 guys for 3 of the 6 laps. On the 4th lap, a couple of the Cat 1-2 guys decided they needed a piss break and asked the peloton to go neutral. So, in the middle of a master's 30-39 race, 24 of us pulled over to the side of the road and whizzed in the bushes while two moto refs and two sheriff's deputies held traffic completely stopped. After the piss break, the top 5 guys in the state (all 1-2 elite) took off and left the rest of us to race for 6th. We sat in, did our rotations and let the best man take the line when the time came due. No shenanigans, no elbows, no cussing, no crossed lines. Just clean, fast racing the way it should be. 65 miles on Saturday at 25mph and 52 miles today at 24mph. My legs are noodly and my muscles are constantly twitching right now.

Ace this Tuesday where I will be working solely for my teammate that is 2nd in points and the team points sprints.

On another, non-pedal bike note. I bought a leftover '08 Triumph Scrambler this past Friday.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #20556
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
On another, non-pedal bike note. I bought a leftover '08 Triumph Scrambler this past Friday.

You suck!!!

Just test rode one a couple weekends ago and Mikey Likey. Congrats on the bike and the race

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #20557
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
The new kid can post a pic' too!
Just bought a bike a couple weeks ago, been riding it the last few days after getting some shorts.... 100 miles on 'it' (my BUTT!) so far, and I'm getting used to it.

Yesterday late afternoon, after some high grade Porter (& cheese nachos) at the local brewery, guilt got the better of me and I returned home to hit the saddle. It was the time of evening graced with "golden light" peering through the dark clouds. Rain was overhead, as were a couple rainbows. I managed to get a quick 8 miles in before it rained, and captured this with my phone:

rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #20558
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
The new kid can post a pic' too!
Just bought a bike a couple weeks ago, been riding it the last few days after getting some shorts.... 100 miles on 'it' (my BUTT!) so far, and I'm getting used to it.

Yesterday late afternoon, after some high grade Porter (& cheese nachos) at the local brewery, guilt got the better of me and I returned home to hit the saddle. It was the time of evening graced with "golden light" peering through the dark clouds. Rain was overhead, as were a couple rainbows. I managed to get a quick 8 miles in before it rained, and captured this with my phone:

Nice!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #20559
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Believe it or not, my plan reversed on me without my knowledge... I had planned to sit in the master's race on Saturday and my goal was simply to not finish last. Instead, I finished sixth in my age group and 9th overall. Sunday was to be where I put it all on the line, but apparently the "kids" wanted no part of that. I was playing dodge-bike and elbow wrestling with all the young guns trying to make a name for themselves. Did my pulls for the first couple of laps and settled in the pack for the last two. As the last lap whittled down to the 1K, I found myself curiously on point without the intention to be there that early. I stayed however and the road did not open up until the 200m mark. Despite a clean 40mph sprint, I ended up 19th in a field sprint. Lost at least 4 spots within 10 feet of the finish due to the two guys directly in front of me trying to occupy the same physical space with nearly equal objects of mass...

All in all, not a bad weekend and pushed me to petition for my upgrade out of 4 and into 3. I'm so done and over with the sketchy bike handling and posturing of the kids.

In the master's race, we had a rotating paceline of 24 guys for 3 of the 6 laps. On the 4th lap, a couple of the Cat 1-2 guys decided they needed a piss break and asked the peloton to go neutral. So, in the middle of a master's 30-39 race, 24 of us pulled over to the side of the road and whizzed in the bushes while two moto refs and two sheriff's deputies held traffic completely stopped. After the piss break, the top 5 guys in the state (all 1-2 elite) took off and left the rest of us to race for 6th. We sat in, did our rotations and let the best man take the line when the time came due. No shenanigans, no elbows, no cussing, no crossed lines. Just clean, fast racing the way it should be. 65 miles on Saturday at 25mph and 52 miles today at 24mph. My legs are noodly and my muscles are constantly twitching right now.

Ace this Tuesday where I will be working solely for my teammate that is 2nd in points and the team points sprints.

Here ya go some more info to digest.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9369

This site's tool box really has a lot of useful info presented in short articles.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #20560
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I've managed to get out for a couple of rides here in San Diego. Lots of hike-a-bike through Mission Trails this morning. Apparently, in San Diego County "multi-use" trail is designed for use by hikers, pack mules and mountain goats. The riding is good though, as is the scenery.

I think I'll put on the road wheels and head over towards the beach this week and check out the...uh..."scenery" there, too.
With Mission Trails, it depends on the trails... There's some that aren't bike friendly, then there's a bunch that are. You're in the 'not as bike friendly' section. IDK if the Marines have gated off their land, but you useta be able to go down that trail, turn left, go under the 52, ride for a bit up one valley, cross a ridge, and come back another valley. Fun ride.

The other half of Mission Trails is better cycling. (and for the life of me, I can't remember that subdivision's name! I even useta work there!)

Penasquitos Canyon up in Carmel Valley is mo bettah riding too.

Watch out for the coast. I can't tell you the # of times I've almost broken my neck watching the scenery walk/run/surf by

M
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #20561
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I must say, I am not a fan of slime, or even those puncture liners you put between the tubes and tires.... Weight on the rims is way amplified in riding effort vs weight on the frame or rider.
X2, That is why I like tubeless. You get to run a sealant for the punctures, you get to loose the weight of the innertube, you can run low pressure without risking pinch flats, your rolling resistance is lowered at lower pressures because there is no internal friction between the tire and tube, rolling resistance is also lowered at low pressures because the tire can conform to bumps instead of bouncing off of bumps up and back at you, fighting your forward progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
hey, anyone have any suggestion for fatter-than-roadracer 700c wheels suitable for 32-38c tires, that can handle a heavy rider bouncing around on the dirt but aren't too expensive? I don't want rims over 25mm outer width (which is what I have now). I'm a fan of 36 spoke 3-cross for strength, and would prefer sealed bearing hubs and stainless heavy gauge double butted spokes..
I suggest looking at a stans rim. Have a set of the rims laced up with quality spokes to your existing hubs, set it up tubeless. Also why do you not want a fatter rim? It makes your tire effectively larger and if you do run innertubes it will reduce pinch flats.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #20562
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Love my Stan's!

I'm running a set of Flow's on Hope Pro II hubs on my rigid SS 29er. With a 2.55 up front and a 2.3 on the rear, they give a real cush ride at about 28>30 psi.
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #20563
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Interesting idea: sign of a bicyclist projected by laser onto the road in front of you Don't see that it'd be useful where I am, but urban/suburban riders may benefit.

The plan for tomorrow is to ride from Vienna, VA to DC, do the Haines Pt lunch hammerfest, then ride back to Vienna. I'll letcha know how it goes. First step is remembering HowTF to get there!

M
Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #20564
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

New footage of Hampsten (and LeMond) in the 85 Giro d' Italia:

M
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #20565
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I suggest looking at a stans rim. Have a set of the rims laced up with quality spokes to your existing hubs, set it up tubeless. Also why do you not want a fatter rim? It makes your tire effectively larger and if you do run innertubes it will reduce pinch flats.
1" (25mm) is about as wide a rim as comfortably fits on this frame with the v-brakes I have. my new wider-than-the-previous 38C is also about as fat a tire as will fit on this frame, I doubt there's more than about 0.1" clearance between the chainstays and the sidewalls.

I'd actually like a bit narrower of a rim, I think, but not a skinny-tire roadbike rim. I built this hybrid up for around town bike trail riding with occasional hardpack dirt...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: