User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #20581
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,433
rode 48 miles round trip to work and back. Worst part was the last section riding all uphill without any shade back home. I wish they made some bike trails or lanes going north to the suburbs. The capital crescent trail in d.c. was nice and cool and shaded.

Did it on my old trusty steed.. a de rosa nuovo classico, with dura ace components. Still ticking. These ole italian bikes cant be killed i guess.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #20582
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
that front valve stem looks crooked. do yourself a favor, deflate that tire, loosen any lockring on the stem, pinch the tire all the way around so its free from the rim, then rotate it so the stem is perfectly happy being square and straight, then pump it back up. your tube will thank you.

lazy mans version, let the air out to about 10-15 PSI, put your some of your weight on the bars and roll the front wheel backwards a turn, check the stem, repeat going forwards or backwards at least a full turn varying the weight until its straight. more weight will cause the tube to creep more. less weight == less. if you can't get any motion, let a little more air out til its almost flat. don't put TOO much weight on too soft of a wheel or you'll risk a pinch flat.
Will Do, thanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #20583
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Very cool! We need to get together after your trip so we can go over what you learned. Enjoy!

One gratuitous moto shot coming up.

Mind you, this shot was taken outside it's natural wild habitat...
Good looking bike.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #20584
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

[QUOTE=Ridge;16112761]Very cool! We need to get together after your trip so we can go over what you learned. Enjoy!

I'm siting at home tonight. The Trip didn't hash out quite the way I'd of liked.

Well let see what we learded.
1. don't start a bike trip with a hangover, when it's 104 degrees.
2. Take as little as you can possibly can, I thought I'd done that. Wrong.
3.rely on the kindness of strangers.( I knocked on a door and asked if I could use his hose to fill water bottles. He no,no come on in out of the heat, and he gave me 3 botttles of ice cold water from the fridge.he filled every bottle I had and the 2 liter water bag.)
4 Stop and look at map at every and I do mean every cross road.

I started off fine, blazeing hot. I'll just drink a lot of water. stopped a lot to cool off. It was hot but that wasn't really the problem.I got stressed doing the white line dance up the mountains at 4 1/2 mph. I changed roads.If we don't anything else in NC, we got roads.Got on a nice rural paved road made a wrong turn and ended up on the same road I was on earlier. Ok I'm 7 miles closer to Danbury,after having riden 11 miles on the rural road. F- it I'll just ride on that road. Stopped in Danbury,ate something drank water took pics. Took off and had no problems with traffic,Great, got to Moore's springs rd checked the map.I understood the map to say follow that road to the end.Wrong, Moore's Spring rd was beautiful It was a senic byway.5 massive hills each one was 1/2 hour of climbing.at 4 1/2 mph ,but very pretty,and shady. It spit me out on state route 66 like 20 miles south of where I thought I'd be. I was at a crosroads, If turn right I'll be on a narrow, hilly,twisty road no shoulders.If I turn left I would be home in 2 1/2 hrs. I wussed out and went home.
65 miles today not bad riding day.Learned some new things about the bike.

The bike worked flawlessly a little heavy I'l have to see what stuff I can leave at home in the future.

Hey Ridge, If you are not racing this weekend,fat chance of that There is a airhead BMW rally this weekend in Ferguson NC it's near North Wilksboro. Good rally.It's small ,but a lot of fun.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #20585
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,165
[QUOTE=TheYeti;16120394]
Quote:
Very cool! We need to get together after your trip so we can go over what you learned. Enjoy!

I'm siting at home tonight. The Trip didn't hash out quite the way I'd of liked.

3.rely on the kindness of strangers.( I knocked on a door and asked if I could use his hose to fill water bottles. He no,no come on in out of the heat, and he gave me 3 botttles of ice cold water from the fridge.he filled every bottle I had and the 2 liter water bag.)

I started off fine, blazeing hot. I'll just drink a lot of water. stopped a lot to cool off. It was hot but that wasn't really the problem.I got stressed doing the white line dance up the mountains at 4 1/2 mph. I changed roads.If we don't anything else in NC, we got roads.Got on a nice rural paved road made a wrong turn and ended up on the same road I was on earlier. Ok I'm 7 miles closer to Danbury,after having riden 11 miles on the rural road. F- it I'll just ride on that road. Stopped in Danbury,ate something drank water took pics. Took off and had no problems with traffic,Great, got to Moore's springs rd checked the map.I understood the map to say follow that road to the end.Wrong, Moore's Spring rd was beautiful It was a senic byway.5 massive hills each one was 1/2 hour of climbing.at 4 1/2 mph ,but very pretty,and shady. It spit me out on state route 66 like 20 miles south of where I thought I'd be. I was at a crosroads, If turn right I'll be on a narrow, hilly,twisty road no shoulders.If I turn left I would be home in 2 1/2 hrs. I wussed out and went home.

The bike worked flawlessly a little heavy I'l have to see what stuff I can leave at home in the future.

Hey Ridge, If you are not racing this weekend,fat chance of that There is a airhead BMW rally this weekend in Ferguson NC it's near North Wilksboro. Good rally.It's small ,but a lot of fun.
Let's see a picture of your touring setup, if you've got one. I try and try to pare down my touring stuff on the motorbike, I should really try out bikepacking next. I used to do a lot of backpacking, and I get a lot of pleasure out of carrying everything I need for a few days of traveling in 25 or 30 lbs.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #20586
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
[QUOTE=TheYeti;16120394]
Quote:

Sounds pretty harsh John. I think I would have done the same. Wrong turns, mixed with heat and overloaded bike adds up to a bad situation that can get worse quickly. I think you can get it sorted out though. If you need some help with it, I'll do what I can.

This weekend is a free one for me.... sort of. No races going on but our club is hosting an early summer century to Chapel Hill and back with a lunch stop in the middle. I also have some friends doing a track day weekend up at VIR and they invited me to come up for a couple of sessions (not on the Scrambler.)

On another side note. I just scored a SS wheel for my 29er off Ebay. Phil Wood hub, 36 hole Velocity rim with Sapim spokes and a White Industries 18T freewheel.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #20587
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
So my buddy out in C-peper got home from a business trip in time to do the Wed eve ride, so what'm I to do? Go for a hammer-ride in the foothills of Madison Co!

We got to the run start at 1730-ish and the thermometer on the bank said '100.' Truck thermometer said '97' Yeah, it was hot. Humid as heck too to boot. Aaaah VA in the summer. The reason my sig line stays.

So the ride started out OK. It wasn't fast, it wasn't slow. About a third of the way round the loop, my buddy and another guy had decided we weren't going fast enough and put the hammer down. I *should* have stayed with the slower guys but NOOoooo I hadta latch onto the back of the 4 doods going fast.

...and at the back is where I stayed! I had enough oomph in my legs to follow wheels, but not nearly enough to pull.

In fact, I felt like what the guys at Paris-Roubaix must feel like: get popped/gapped on a hill, fight back, get popped again, fight back, repeat 4-5x. At about 10mi to go we got to a roller and my legs just couldn't take the pace and I *almost* wussed out and slowed down.

...and again on the next hill...

I kept sucking it up and rode in with em. After Tuesday's hammer session at 30mph plus and almost 4 hrs, I'm surprised my legs felt as good as they did as long as they did.

In the end, we were out a hair under 2 hours thru beautiful Madison Co. Good thing there were people around that knew where we were going cause I was lost the entire time. Yet one more reason to keep up...

M
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #20588
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Look what followed me home today...

Its a '10 Redline D440...

Cool bike Tim, You'll like the 29r over the 26"

I mentioned earlier my Rig frame cracked. Found out last night Trek has no aluminum 21" 29r frames to replace it until the 2012's get here. My options from what I understand are wait, get something else interim or possible put up with a OCLV Super Fly frame.

Either way, cash might be flowing as my 6 years old Rig is still sporting yesteryear technology like the 180mm XT Octalinks and external 1.125 headset. New bikes have a tapered headset and use a BB30 style crank. Priced a fork, $700!!! That's all I paid for the bike NEW!!! May be cheaper to just buy a whole new Rig! I heard their may be a reducer you can get so I can keep my existing Reba SL

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #20589
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Cool bike Tim, You'll like the 29r over the 26"

I mentioned earlier my Rig frame cracked. Found out last night Trek has no aluminum 21" 29r frames to replace it until the 2012's get here. My options from what I understand are wait, get something else interim or possible put up with a OCLV Super Fly frame.

Either way, cash might be flowing as my 6 years old Rig is still sporting yesteryear technology like the 180mm XT Octalinks and external 1.125 headset. New bikes have a tapered headset and use a BB30 style crank. Priced a fork, $700!!! That's all I paid for the bike NEW!!! May be cheaper to just buy a whole new Rig! I heard their may be a reducer you can get so I can keep my existing Reba SL
You do not need a fork, just a reducer headset. A lot of times trek will supply that. It is not a BB30 bottom bracket, it is a bb90. sometimes trek will supply that too. You will need to buy a pair of outboard bearing 2 piece cranks. A cheep pair of Shimanos might run you $100. If you have to buy the headset and bb you might be looking at another 50-80 total. So less than $200 for everything you need. Take the superfly if they are willing to give it to you. The new trek bikes are much stronger than the old gary fisher. If you end up waiting long enough you might end up with a whole bike. I have seen it happen, trek gets tired of waiting for frames to come in and sends a whole bike.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #20590
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

ya'll asked so....here it is!

Sorry that it isn't sitting per the "rules" I had just crawled up the hill to Danbury at 4.2 mph. Trust me, I wasn't about to pick up and move the trucker I needed to save myself for the hills to come Two of the smartest things I did was to have a washcloth to wet and wipe my face and head, it helped a lot .The other thing was I discovered helmet liners, These thing are great keeps sweat out of the eyes,wet it when ya stopand keeps the head cool.

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 12:35 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #20591
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Sorry that it isn't sitting per the "rules" I had just crawled up the hill to Danbury at 4.2 mph. Trust me, I wasn't about to pick up and move the trucker I needed to save myself for the hills to come

Dayam! 60+ hilly miles on a bike loaded down like that?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #20592
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Sorry that it isn't sitting per the "rules" I had just crawled up the hill to Danbury at 4.2 mph. Trust me, I wasn't about to pick up and move the trucker I needed to save myself for the hills to come
I may have missed it earlier in the thread: You on a trip or just training with all that gear? Where are you headed? From North Carolina?

Ryan
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #20593
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi03 View Post
I may have missed it earlier in the thread: You on a trip or just training with all that gear? Where are you headed? From North Carolina?

Ryan
Yea, I detailed it on the last page.

The stuff didn't really weigh that much.

Front rt pannier 11 lbs
front lft pannier 9 lbs

each rear pannier 10 lbs each

tent 3.5 lbs

Thremarest 2.5 lbs

the bag on the back had maps and 2 ltrs of water

the handlebar bag was 5 lbs

so 51 lbs , so 51 and 40 for the bike and 8.5 for water about 100 lbs of bike to wrestle around, It really handled well at any speed over 8 mph. no wobble at speed, I hit 48 on some the down hills This is what this bike is designed for.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #20594
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Yea, I detailed it on the last page.

The stuff didn't really weigh that much.

Front rt pannier 11 lbs
front lft pannier 9 lbs

each rear pannier 10 lbs each

tent 3.5 lbs

Thremarest 2.5 lbs

the bag on the back had maps and 2 ltrs of water

the handlebar bag was 5 lbs

so 51 lbs , so 51 and 40 for the bike and 8.5 for water about 100 lbs of bike to wrestle around, It really handled well at any speed over 8 mph. no wobble at speed, I hit 48 on some the down hills This is what this bike is designed for.
Get that sucker going fast enough and I could motopace off of it instead of the Silver Wing.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #20595
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:
Sorry that it isn't sitting per the "rules" I had just crawled up the hill to Danbury at 4.2 mph. Trust me, I wasn't about to pick up and move the trucker I needed to save myself for the hills to come Two of the smartest things I did was to have a washcloth to wet and wipe my face and head, it helped a lot .The other thing was I discovered helmet liners, These thing are great keeps sweat out of the eyes,wet it when ya stopand keeps the head cool.
Excellent set up.

In 1983, I rode from St Mary MT to Old Faithful in Yellowstone - camped most of the way but I did stay in a cheap hotel twice. My route had me cross the continential divide three times and totaled something like 560 miles.

Mine was a Mercian King of Mercia fully-lugged touring frame w/ front and rear panniers also.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: