Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #2056
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Its a slow assimilation, ain't it? I've sold mtn shorts and liners to budding roadies KNOWING that they'll be back once they get beyond the 15mph and 20mi/ride barriers.

You wear regular shorts and t-shirts and are OK. Then you look around one day and notice that yer butt hurts at about the hour mark. You go buy yer first pair of shorts, wondering WhyTF would ANYone wear $100+ shorts .

Then you get to about the 2-hour mark and wonder WhyTF yer butt's still hurting! Its the chafing this time... Then you go buy some nicer shorts and all is well.

Then you start to ride thru the fall and wonder WhyTF yer cold. So you buy a thermal jersey. You keep wearing t-shirts tho... ...And are STILL cold, so you buy some SS jerseys at the urging of yer neighborhood LBS.

Then you figger out that yer getting pretty fast and wanna race. So you join a club/team and start wearing their gear. After the first year, you change teams and you have to buy the NEW stuff.

And so on, and so forth.

Pretty soon yer closet looks like a technicolor whirlwind went thru and dropped off a BUNCH of clothes...

...and THEN you realize that yer bike is heavy and don't have enuff gears...

...and then you look at the MULTIPLE pairs of $100+ shorts and wonder WhyTF would ANYone NOT ride in em!

M

I'm only about 1/2 way through that progression, but the truth hurts, don't it?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #2057
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,661
Oh, hey! Quick update:

I'm 4 rides away from getting enough Pearl Bucks from riding back/forth to work to buy a pair of Microsensor bib shorts!

They're PAYING me $.125 to ride my bike to the store!

Whoda thunk it? They're paying me to do something I'da done ANYway!

Woot!

M
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #2058
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout

I'm only about 1/2 way through that progression, but the truth hurts, don't it?
I've had SO many different sets of team gear over the years...

Every once in a while, I still wear my college jersey(s). They're a little snug, but I can still make em work! (yeah, that's it! That's the ticket!)

M
Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #2059
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
With Page hurt...who are you picking at nats?

Where is nats this year? I forget...is it Rhode Island or something like that?

Flaco
I think Santa Cruz owns Swobo...
I'm picking Tim Johnson for Nats. He dances through the mud, it's quite unreal. He's the complete package but Treefarm is so strong. Also Wicks could take it and Wells could repeat. Those 4 should all podium...

Here's a pic of Johnson in Portland

Nationals is in Providence RI. It should be a blast.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 AM   #2060
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B
I'm picking Tim Johnson for Nats. He dances through the mud, it's quite unreal. He's the complete package but Treefarm is so strong. Also Wicks could take it and Wells could repeat. Those 4 should all podium...

I would think those cross bikes would do better in that mude with disc brakes, why don't I ever see the pros using the disc brakes?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #2061
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I'm in the early stages of this disease....
Same here, & I took a real scolding from Dark wife about the Performance bike spending. They just opened a Charlotte store. A couple pair of shorts, jersey, shoes, socks, pump, saddle it added up quick. The "well I guess you know what your Christmas present WAS" really stung. She won't stick to it though

All bike spending needs to be pre approved now
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #2062
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Oh, I KNOW what Smartwool stuff is, I just never tried any.

Got other stuff instead: Craft, D-Feet, Nike, Capiline, etc.

M
I just went to smartwool.com and found out that my LBS has the stuff... I don't want to buy online for that kinda stuff I get to go buy some cool fun shit...

edit... thanksgiving till today... 2 rowing sessons, 3 bike rides, 2 lifecycle, 2 workouts, 1 hour yoga and 1 walk.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #2063
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B

Santa Cruz owns swobo, correct.

I'd say that this years Championship is very open. It should be an exciting race. It'd be nice to send our champ to worlds and have him at least finish in the top ten...probably wont happen...I'm a huge fan of Johnathan Page for the way he's been riding over the last few years.

Flaco
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #2064
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I just went to smartwool.com and found out that my LBS has the stuff... I don't want to buy online for that kinda stuff I get to go buy some cool fun shit...

edit... thanksgiving till today... 2 rowing sessons, 3 bike rides, 2 lifecycle, 2 workouts, 1 hour yoga and 1 walk.
No way. Yoga and a walk?

You animal.

Flaco
Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #2065
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
No way. Yoga and a walk?

You animal.

Flaco

Yoga does a LOT of good for your body... I do 1 hour of power yoga which will kick your ass
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #2066
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Just checking in.

I've had a really hard time being persistent about my bike riding. I love it when I go, but it's still a struggle to haul my ass out of bed that early in the morning.

Today I did, though - nice ride, but breezy. What sucks is that the Miami Mountain is right at the start of my ride, and today I had a headwind. Before I'd even gotten myself into any sort of rhythm I was already losing my breath... had it really been that long? Or was the breeze that strong?

Anyway, I made it, and got back to my usual heart rate. At some point, though, something happened that I hadn't experienced in a while. Two dudes passed me.

I stayed behind them for a mile or so, and then let my competitive spirit trump my drop in physical conditioning. I quickly got around them. A mile after that, I reached my turn-around point... and it was a tailwind from there. Smooth sailing - I climbed the bridge at about 18 mph and hit 41 on the way down.

Good times. I need to do this more often.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #2067
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Same here, & I took a real scolding from Dark wife about the Performance bike spending. They just opened a Charlotte store. A couple pair of shorts, jersey, shoes, socks, pump, saddle it added up quick. The "well I guess you know what your Christmas present WAS" really stung. She won't stick to it though

All bike spending needs to be pre approved now
Whoops!

Good luck on Christmas morning! (she's prolly upset 'cause that was what she was gonna get you for Christmas... )

M
Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #2068
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Re: disc brakes in cross

The UCI has made em illegal. Pros don't wanna ride anything that won't let em ride in Europe if/when they go, so they don't run discs. AFAIK USA Cycling lets us run em, so if you got em, don't think you'll hafta change to go try a race or two.

Next year, year after I do believe things are changing. IIRC USA Cycling is changing over to UCI regs. Don't affect me, so I didn't particularly pay attention to that announcement.

M
Old 11-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #2069
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Dropped like a fucking rock

or

HowTF do I last more'n 10min on the Specialized Lunch Ride?

Its chilly. As in LS jersey and vest chilly. Wanting to get ready for Flagstaff in Jan (its definite BTW) I dressed and headed over to Specialized.

so far

Got there and the start's slower'n normal. Then someone gets all froggy and shit and BANG! the pace goes up.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing! there go my legs!

You shoulda seen the crater my legs left when they exploded! Twas a sight to see!

That was at about the 15min mark on the ride. The OTHER 45min was spent either catching up to or riding behind the two guys that popped right after me.

We rolled back towards Morgan Hill with the tailwind and they wicked it up. I couldn't even hold on to them at a mere 45kph! WTF?

All I can figger is that this headache I have is interfering with the bloodflow to my legs/etc. Any thoughts on the matter?

M
Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #2070
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Quote:
Dropped like a fucking rock

or

HowTF do I last more'n 10min on the Specialized Lunch Ride?

Its chilly. As in LS jersey and vest chilly. Wanting to get ready for Flagstaff in Jan (its definite BTW) I dressed and headed over to Specialized.

so far

Got there and the start's slower'n normal. Then someone gets all froggy and shit and BANG! the pace goes up.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing! there go my legs!

You shoulda seen the crater my legs left when they exploded! Twas a sight to see!

That was at about the 15min mark on the ride. The OTHER 45min was spent either catching up to or riding behind the two guys that popped right after me.

We rolled back towards Morgan Hill with the tailwind and they wicked it up. I couldn't even hold on to them at a mere 45kph! WTF?

All I can figger is that this headache I have is interfering with the bloodflow to my legs/etc. Any thoughts on the matter?

M
When I was lunch racing at Schwinn it helped to know who was likely to rip my legs off when they got to the front and who was likely to hold the group together. I made sure I was closer to the front when the gorillas pulled thru...you know, the old 'pick a good wheel' thing?

Making it back to the office with the front group was a matter of going often and hill repeats on days I didn't do the 'ride'.

Lactic acid is building up in your legs and moving thru you circulatory system to your brain. Your brain is telling you to stop (or slow) via a pain sensation. It's a matter of feeding your brain a steady diet of lactic acid in big doses. When I began to understand this I improved dramatically in one season. I stopped just 'going riding' and had a specific training plan for each ride. It wasn't about miles...it was about making sure my brain was able to tolerate the lactic acid that went along with the first 10-15 minutes of each race.

But I would guess you may already be ahead of where I was when I quit.

Flaco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: