Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #20746
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
19.6mph average with a normalized power of 242 watts.
Looks like I got some numbers to aim at.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #20747
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Aiming high is good. I'd be happy just to finish a 112 mile ride in under 7.5 hours.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #20748
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
rom the angle of the photo, it looks too small for him. ...but I haven't seen him riding it.

M
using the sidewalk cracks as a ruler, perspective has rendered the bike 8/9ths his size. his instep (with those shoes on) eyeballs to be about '63mm' which scales to 56mm at the bike distance, and I eyeball measure the bike's stepover as 56mm

the wheels screen-measure 43cm (at the bead), he measures about 143mm so scaling all that says he's 72.4" tall or 6' 0.4" ... (seat of pants compensating for some head lean)

i measure his seat tube as 39mm, so I calculate that as a 56cm frame, it has a 56mm measured stepover, which I calculate to be 31-32"...

am I even remotely close to right here, or should I turn in my Amateur Photometrics ID card?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #20749
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
It fits him like a glove. he has been riding it to the train, then train to work, then home on the bike a few times a week. Last time I rode, we passed on the river trail. I turned around and could not hold his pace.

Paul has gotten strong and dropped weight. I now out weigh him by about 20 pounds. As he loses weight and increases fitness I lose fitness and increase my weight!

I think he rode it fully laden with tent, kitchen and sleeping bag, twice camping about a 20 mile ride. I think I recall him telling me the frame was an extra long, the chain is original length, no links removed. That is one long chain stay!

My only hope of catching up is for his programs to increase overtime to the point he can't ride for about six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
rom the angle of the photo, it looks too small for him. ...but I haven't seen him riding it.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 01:55 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #20750
papavero
Just good enough.

Oddometer: 114
You are correct. I am 6' tall at 165lbs. 32 in inseam. The frame is a 56 and that fits me well. It is setup for comfort and not spead. 3x10 spead. 22,34,44 with 11-36. Even loaded it will climb almost anything.

Paul
'07 R1200GS
papavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #20751
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Good luck with BSG that's a lot of climbing! I'm thinking you are doing the 100 mi ride?
You got it. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones since the 100 mile was sold out in less than 24 hours. One of the few times I was right place and right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

You can have mine. I don't use them to the advantage I should anyway. It's like a kid with a calculus book and using it as a step to reach the cookie jar...
Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #20752
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Aiming high is good. I'd be happy just to finish a 112 mile ride in under 7.5 hours.
I never said I had good aim!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #20753
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papavero View Post
You are correct. I am 6' tall at 165lbs. 32 in inseam. The frame is a 56 and that fits me well. It is setup for comfort and not spead. 3x10 spead. 22,34,44 with 11-36. Even loaded it will climb almost anything.
I'll confess when I said eyeballing the screen, I was actually cheating. i was eyeballing the screen using this...

it worked! photometry FTW!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #20754
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
I think a 22 granny chainring would good for me. I want to keep the 36-48 CR though. I love my Surly LHT can be fast-ish, but man is it comfy.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #20755
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
It is setup for comfort and not spead. 3x10 spead. 22,34,44 with 11-36. Even loaded it will climb almost anything.
I was about to say, with a 44 don't you find its too easy to spin your high gear when you're running relatively lightly loaded, then I realized, 44:11 is actually taller than the 50:13 high gear I have on my hybrid (50,34 front, 13-28 7-speed rear)

do you actually find yourself using 22:36 ever? thats a slower-than-walking gear, way less than 1:1.

I do wonder about the small sprockets on modern 10-speeds, and chain+sprocket wear, I bet if you start racking up miles in adverse conditions you'll be going through chains and sprockets frequently.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #20756
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
do you actually find yourself using 22:36 ever? thats a slower-than-walking gear, way less than 1:1.
I have run it on a touring bike. It comes in handy when loaded and you run into a loooooonnnnnggg grinding hill or short brutal ones. I REALLY don't like pushing a loaded bike.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #20757
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Weekend rides

Managed to get rides in both days. On Saturday, I went east and took a ride on the country roads out here, 20.5 miles, maybe 30% gravel roads.

On Sunday, I went to the west and rode a 40 mile loop along the Mississippi river, almost entirely on paved paths or streets with designated bike lanes. I crossed the river on the I494 bridge, rode upriver to Ford Parkway, crossed back over, and rode down river back to home.

Overlook on the Ford Parkway bridge:

The Ford lock and dam on the Mighty Mississippi:

The bridge in the background is the Mendota Bridge over the Minnesota river. I crossed this a few miles earlier before crossing at Ford:

Robert Street lift bridge in downtown St. Paul:

This was my longest ride this year, so far, and I felt great. The only problem was I didn't think to bring any food or money with me, only a bottle of Cytomax and a bottle of plain water. I was getting pretty hungry towards the end and was actually worried I wouldn't make the climb out of the valley to get back home (about a mile long, 3%-10%). I made it, but went up verrry sloowwly. Fortunately, it was overcast and only in the low 60s for temps. Next time, I'll remember to throw an energy bar in my jersey....

(I also bought a small point and shoot camera that'll fit in a jersey pocket or jacket when I'm on a motorcycle, so I've been playing with that too. )
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #20758
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Nice ride.

I did big ride today too. 120kms all on sealed bike paths on the wrong bike. First 60kms was with a tailwind and some rain, then we turned around and rode back to the start with a headwind and more rain.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #20759
papavero
Just good enough.

Oddometer: 114
Loaded bike, big hill, head wind etc. Nice to have that low granny gear. Yes I have used it. last time was up a dirt road, loaded and heading to the camp site. I agree that pushing a loaded bike up hill is not fun. Way easier to just ride it. Funny thing is, on that type of road (easily 14% and dirt) even loaded you can spin the rear wheel.
Gearing, with the 44X11 the bike can hit a pretty respectable road speed. Loaded it is most happy in the 12-14 mph range.

Paul
'07 R1200GS
papavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #20760
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
So many bikes that occupy the want list and so little time. Need to ramp up my black funding considerably to afford all the "tools" necessary. Probably should also consider renovating the garage to install a shower and toilet so's I have a place to live when the wife sees all the additional bike bling.

Short list:
Surly LHT for touring
Salsa Fargo for epic MTB races and off-pavement adv.
Some, yet unnamed, CX bike for the upcoming season
Maybe an FSR 29'er thrown in for playing on some bigger trails with jumps and such.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: