User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #20761
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Yesterday, I made a last minute decision to do a group ride with the local bike club. Threw the bike and gear into the car and zipped up to the meetup spot. Got there 10 minutes late and everybody was gone. I knew the direction in which they were heading so I just put my head down spun. Caught the sweep guy and his wife in 13 minutes, then kept going after getting short loop directions from him. At the half hour mark, while cresting a hill, I spotted a guy sitting on the road side changing a front tire on a recumbent. I stopped to check on him and let him use my Co2 pump, since his hand pump had magically transformed itself into a hissing baton. Anyway, we got to talking and he agreed to show me the longer 33 mile route. Once out on the road again, this guy was motoring pretty good. I had to work to keep up with him on the flats, rarely dropping below 24 mph. It turns out he is a college professor who taught at my wife's alma mater when she was there in the mid 90's, 600+ miles away. Small world. What I thought was going to be a solo effort playing catch-up, turned out to be a great ride. Sometimes its good to be late.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #20762
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Got in a nice ride

at Lowes Creek Park. Over two hours of mountainbiking and I didn't cover half of the trails. Fun place.

Fullmonte - good on you for helping a guy on the road.

SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #20763
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Managed to get rides in both days. On Saturday, I went east and took a ride on the country roads out here, 20.5 miles, maybe 30% gravel roads.

On Sunday, I went to the west and rode a 40 mile loop along the Mississippi river, almost entirely on paved paths or streets with designated bike lanes. I crossed the river on the I494 bridge, rode upriver to Ford Parkway, crossed back over, and rode down river back to home.
My Vaya is jealous of your Vaya; So far the only riding I've done on it is a commute -- rode it to work on Tuesday, left it at the office overnight, rode it home on Wednesday.

The commute isn't so nice. I ride from New Rochelle through the Bronx and Harlem, down into Midtown Manhattan; Not very scenic, but the worst part is the frequent stops due to traffic and intersections. Cranking a loaded 45+ lb bike from a dead stop to cruising speed over and over is no fun.

It took me nearly 2 hours to do the 20 mile ride, about a half hour longer than I hoped. I'm looking for a better route, but there don't seem to be a lot of options.

In more positive news, I got in some good mountain biking in VT Friday and Saturday.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #20764
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
At the half hour mark, while cresting a hill, I spotted a guy sitting on the road side changing a front tire on a recumbent. I stopped to check on him and let him use my Co2 pump, since his hand pump had magically transformed itself into a hissing baton. Anyway, we got to talking and he agreed to show me the longer 33 mile route. Once out on the road again, this guy was motoring pretty good. I had to work to keep up with him on the flats, rarely dropping below 24 mph. It turns out he is a college professor who taught at my wife's alma mater when she was there in the mid 90's, 600+ miles away. Small world. What I thought was going to be a solo effort playing catch-up, turned out to be a great ride. Sometimes its good to be late.
Did you happen to notice what kind of recumbent he was riding? Just curious....thanks!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #20765
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Did you happen to notice what kind of recumbent he was riding? Just curious....thanks!
I think the name began with an "R". He has ridden the RAGBRAI 10 times and was definitely not a bent noob.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #20766
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,714
Best quote of the weekend.
Quote:
... his hand pump had magically transformed itself into a hissing baton. ...
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #20767
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
I think the name began with an "R". He has ridden the RAGBRAI 10 times and was definitely not a bent noob.
RANS? They make several different 'bent models.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #20768
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
So I looked at the training plan last week and said 'great! an easy week next week! ' Then I looked again yesterday.

The rest week is NEXT week!

I R stoopit

Just got in from an easy hour around the block. Wind died down as I was comin up on the upwind stretch.

M
Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #20769
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Well, I went and done it. I secured a coach to give me that push to the next level of performance. Ashley Powell is a local and coaches a few elite/pros. At one time he was ranked as the 5th pro in the country. I'm really looking forward to reaching that next level.

www.catup.com is his site
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #20770
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well, I went and done it. I secured a coach to give me that push to the next level of performance. Ashley Powell is a local and coaches a few elite/pros. At one time he was ranked as the 5th pro in the country. I'm really looking forward to reaching that next level.

www.catup.com is his site
Well jeez dood! If I'd known that, I'D have coached ya. For beer and pizza no less!

G'luck! Let me know how it goes.

M
Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #20771
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Well jeez dood! If I'd known that, I'D have coached ya. For beer and pizza no less!

G'luck! Let me know how it goes.

M
I still owe you beer-n-pizza and I plan to make good on my debt when we can get together for a ride or race.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #20772
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,714
I finally got back to my bicycle last night. Rode for an hour and a half along the river trail. It's a good thing I didn't try for two hours, I was beat by the last step up hill on the way home. That last mile back home is a killer and last night I didn't start at the bottom of the gears but that's how I got to the top.

On my way out there was a little onshore breeze so slight headwind to keep the pressure on.

On the way back a young guy caught on and sat on my wheel for a mile or so, then came around. He was only going about 20 so I spun up and caught on. This I know how to do.

He had kicked it to about 22 mph, but soon dropped back to about 20 again so I sat in until the hill back up to La Palma, where I dropped him as he tried to turn over the big ring, middle of the block combination.
He was sporting a set of time trial bars like the tri-guys run and had the usual slow cadence in the big ring. At La Palma I usually am beat but felt not too bad, so kept my spin, though I had to drop down two gears. Once back on the street I kicked it back up and by the time I jumped back onto the path I was rolling good. The short descent got me up over 30 and I held a steady 22 mph for the next mile. Then the thought of that hill started creeping in and about then the tri-guy caught back up. We rode along, me spinning, him mashing, talking for the last two miles before I turned for the hill.

I'd managed to hit 47 mph on the descent to begin my ride and noticed 4 mph on my way back up.
It's funny that when I began riding 5 cogs out back seemed like all a guy would ever need. Last night I was looking for something more than ten.

The flat bit past the school allowed me to recover enough to get back into the middle ring and about three cogs down. The last hill to the stop sign was cake.
I ended on the floor soaked with sweat on a towel with my pulse at 90 a half hour after stopping. A good workout and if I can keep this routine going I may even, dare I say it; lose weight.

Man I love that Roubaix.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #20773
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Its the middle of June and its not even 80deg out.

doG but I love cold fronts!

M
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #20774
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
After some health issues prevented me from riding the past 2/3 months, I am glad to say I have finally been able to get back on the bike again. Unfortunately I have also got a new job that means I do more traveling - every other week to the same place (Columbus, OH if that matters).

So, the question to you road-warriors is, have you found a way to put some miles on a bike while traveling ? I have thought about buying a bike and leaving it here, but I don't really have anywhere to store it - would a bike shop do it or someone else ? Do bike shops rent out bikes for a couple hours ?

Has anybody found a way to do this ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #20775
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
After some health issues prevented me from riding the past 2/3 months, I am glad to say I have finally been able to get back on the bike again. Unfortunately I have also got a new job that means I do more traveling - every other week to the same place (Columbus, OH if that matters).

So, the question to you road-warriors is, have you found a way to put some miles on a bike while traveling ? I have thought about buying a bike and leaving it here, but I don't really have anywhere to store it - would a bike shop do it or someone else ? Do bike shops rent out bikes for a couple hours ?

Has anybody found a way to do this ?

Cheers
How about one of those small (think closet size) storage containers/companies? Some are even environmentally controlled. I would think the monthly charges would be minimal. Either that or make some friends in the area with some extra storage space.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: