Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #20836
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I'd like stay with canti's. I don't like V brakes. They stop well though. I was thinking the shimano's ( BR-R550) on the left or the Paul's touring on the right. The Paul's touring are spendy though about $ 90 each.

I'm also wondering would a better/ different pad help.

That's OK. Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

M
Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #20837
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
That reminds me...I've got an old set of Magura hydraulic rim brakes....somewhere....I got them for a canti conversion thing I never did.

Hi Gummee!
Hiya there tough girl!

Once I actually start making $$ you're gonna have a visitor.

M
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #20838
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Lol, that is what I was thinking.

A different canti is not going to be much more powerful.

Buy v-brake compatiable brake levers and put regular v-brakes on there.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #20839
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Lol, that is what I was thinking.

A different canti is not going to be much more powerful.

Buy v-brake compatiable brake levers and put regular v-brakes on there.
So what do you do with brifters? My wife put travel agents and V-brakes on her touring bike, seems work well enough. I don't know if the travel agents or mini-Vs are better.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #20840
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
So what do you do with brifters? My wife put travel agents and V-brakes on her touring bike, seems work well enough. I don't know if the travel agents or mini-Vs are better.

A cross check does not have brifters. (edit: he did not specify what model it was, cross check or LHT, they both run bar end shifters).

If you have brifters then get the mini v-brakes. They will work fine without travel agents.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #20841
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
I used travel agents with V-brakes because the canti's couldn't haul my 20 lb butt down from speed fast enough. The pretty much stayed un-adjusted for 3 or 4 years except when replacing the pads.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #20842
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,024
[QUOTE=Gummee!;16182776]That's OK. Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

M[/QUOT

Don't take it personnally Gummee, I don't care for them. I didn't say I wouldn't consider them.If other canti's aren't really any better. My mt bike canti's work great. I used it for lite touring. I really don't know much about them. The Wify's bike has them and work great.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 12:42 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #20843
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I'd like stay with canti's. I don't like V brakes. They stop well though. I was thinking the shimano's ( BR-R550) on the left or the Paul's touring on the right. The Paul's touring are spendy though about $ 90 each.

I'm also wondering would a better/ different pad help.
I'd try a set of the long thin metal backed shimano pads like what fit vbrakes.

and setup the pads really carefully, its important that they hit the middle of the flats on the rims at the right angle with just a tiny amount of toe-in.

what are you rim's braking surfaces like? are they anodized or machined? flat or rounded?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #20844
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

[QUOTE=TheYeti;16184943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M[/QUOT

Don't take it personnally Gummee, I don't care for them. I didn't say I wouldn't consider them.If other canti's aren't really any better. My mt bike canti's work great. I used it for lite touring. I really don't much about them. The Wify's bike has them and work great.
I'm not taking it personally. It ain't my bike or wallet. I've GOT cantis on my cross bike and while they're OK for cross, I'm looking at replacing em for the fall. Probably the brakes in the link below.

Mini v-s are a slightly different critter. Less powerful than regular v-brakes but more powerful than cantis.

If you're staying cantilever, get these

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 08:02 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #20845
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

I don't think you will notice much of a difference between different canti brakes. There are better and more powerful ones out there but the difference is small when compared to power of a v-brake or disc brake. The Avid shorty ultimates are some sick looking brakes. Pauls makes some nice canti brakes also. You are going to spend hundreds on a good set of cantis and only get a little more power. If it is more power you are after there is no replacement for a v-brake. It is impossible to get v-brake power out of a canti. The same goes for disc brakes. A set of v-brake compatiable levers and avid v-brakes will run you less than $50.
Canti's work great for cross racing because you only need to scrub a little speed off and you do not need to be able to stop quickly.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #20846
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
The big blue place I work has this program where they set us all up with pedometers and we team up and walk. The idea is to get us healthier. Or they are planning on downsizing the cubes and need to downsize us to fit.

Anyway, the tally begins Monday. I'm signed up for 10K steps per day. I skip lunch and walk. 4 miles or so equals the 10K. Yesterday I did a shake down walk. Started out in the mist with a jacket ended up sweating carrying the jacket after 3/4's my planned route.
I wasn't starving either.

Then when I got home I rode for an hour which was good because that's about all there was in the tank. But, I didn't have to drop to the bottom of the big 10-pile-O-cogs out back for the last hill.

Riding the bike is good for 200 steps a minute at between 14 to 16 mph. I just managed to hit the middle of that at 15 mph average.

I ended my day with a total of 20,000 steps. Didn't lose any weight this week either. But, I feel better.
I still get can get myself winded on the three flights of stairs up to the office. I suppose I climb harder the better my conditioning.

I'll rest today from the bike and take a walk about noon. Then try for an early morning easy spin tomorrow for a couple hours.

I started off last year with a plan of 5K steps per day. The idea being to see if I could double that. Since I was on so much travel and had access to a bicycle that was real easy to do. I was in pretty good shape so four hours riding on the weekend days was do-able. I almost managed to carry the team, but for a couple of unplanned trips away form bikes and walking that cut into my step-bank.

This year I decided to try and double down. Go for 10K per day and try to double that to 20K. That means while I'm off riding the motorcycle and fishing on vacation I will need to do some running, so the hiking boots are out of the bag and the running shoes are in. I wake up earlier than everybody else I'll be with so I'll have plenty of early morning alone time to beat myself up on the trails.

Crappy place to run once I get to the fishing hole,

The plan right now is to ride some in Utah on the way Burr Trail is a goal.

Did I mention I love that Roubaix? That was the single best thing I did all last year is buy that bike. It reminds me of my Adventure; every time I ride it I like it more.

Glad I waited and got the 10-speed triple though. Cool for an old fat guy.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #20847
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Canti's work great for cross racing ecause you only need to scrub a little speed off and you do not need to be able to stop quickly.
Humph. You've never had someone fall in front of you. There's plenty of times you need 'ohmydoG!' stopping power.

I've got a pair of Mafacs, several pairs of OnZa HOs, a pair of XC Comps, and on right now, the Shimano new-style canti with the better brake pad adjustment. All stop OK but just OK.

For *racing cross* v-brakes are overkill. Especially racing cross in the nasties. Dry isn't nearly as much of an issue.

M
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #20848
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,403
Chain ring question. I am currently running a 50/34 compact with a 12-27 out back. Old guy with a weight problem. Anyway with all the hill around the bay area, I was wondering if going to a 33 tooth ring would help the old knees. I was able to make it over Mt Eden last week, but paid for it for a few days.

I have been losing a ton of weight so that is helping, I guess my real question is should I get the 33 and use it for a while while losing weight and once the weight comes off go back to the 34, or just keeping working my ass off and deal with the 34.

thanks

Joc
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #20849
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
or just keeping working my ass off and deal with the 34.

thanks

Joc
Yes.

And congrats on losing the weight. Keep it up and that will be better for you than swapping out any chain ring.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #20850
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Car bumps cyclist twice at a red light.

Cyclist flashes badge (she's a D.C. cop) and car takes off.

The rest of the story:

http://girlonabicycle.blogspot.com/2...y-sort-of.html

YakSpout screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 12:57 PM
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: