Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #20866
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Nice!
24 miles of dirt would leave me twitching in the dirt right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I'm feeling pretty damn proud of my self today, I did the entire* 24 mile mountian bike loop at mohician today for the first time. It has only been about a month since i was able to even do the first mile without stopping, thus far the most trail i did in a day was 16 mi.

I really feel like I have gotten over a big hump. The first 11 I only stopped at the end of sections for a little break & was feeling pretty good, miles 12 -13 are nothing but uphill, i had to rest a bunch there, by 14 I decided I was done & would take the blacktop home after mile 19. As luck would have it I came across a guy who had a flat & was having trouble with his pump about mile 16. It took us a bit to figure that he needed to flip the head on his pump aroung to fit the prestas. Duh.

16-19 are nice twisty, rolling bliss & the flat guy stopped to let me by, i was feeling better, so I pushed on throught ther rest of the trail. 20-24 has a bunch of hard rooty/rocky uphills that I just couldn't clear. I hate pushing my bike. OTHO I managed to not drop the bike all day.

* minus about a quarter mile of up hill i skip because of the way i come from my house. it took me 4 and a half frigging hours, including the 6 miles of pavement to & fro mi casa. avg speed 6.3 mph. Christ, i'm slow...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #20867
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,836
Heating up in PHX

It's fun to post the temps here in Phoenix during the winter months when the rest of the US is in the deep freeze.

Summers can be a little brutal and today is no exception - we'll likely hit 115F/46C. As such, the only option is to get in a quick ride before work. My wife was "kind" enough to wake me up at 0425 and I was on the road at 0440 for a quick 16 mile ride.

I was pleased - for the first time this year, my average speed exceeded 17 mph. I know that's slow for some of y'all but it's nice to see my speeds coming up. I am well north of 50 if you need a data point.

When I first got the recumbent, it was a real shock - it requires difference leg muscles and those are taking me a little time to develop. I've made extensive changes - really, it's a new bike at this point in time having swapped out the frame (steel to aluminum), new wheels (dyno front hub), new seat (not nearly as wide as the last seat) and I added LED lights front and rear. I also changed the steering to a "stiff setup" instead of a one that pivots and added a carbon front fork. The goal was to build a decent brevet bike. That high-mounted rear LED light is pretty bright and I find that when riding in the dark, drivers give me more room that in the day.

Old recumbent:

New recumbent:

Those are 700 x 32 tires for the Ragbrai trip in a few weeks and when I return, I'll likely drop to a 25 or 28.

My average weekend ride is 100-km - again it's an early start and I make every attempt to get off the road before the heat exceeds 90. From last weekend:

I cut a mean profile in the rising sun and the route is planned so I'm not lost in the rising sun for drivers. There's also not a lot of traffic on this route which goes around South Mountain.

"Ride a bike, live longer. Ride a recumbent, love longer."
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #20868
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
First ride on the Airborne Ti: nice 'muted' ride over pavement imperfections similar to my Roubaix. Less stiff thru the BB tho. 'Springy' is about the best term I know to describe the ride. Similar to an old SL steel bike, but stiffer thru the BB.

I'd gotten it set up within a few mm the first time. Yay for being anal-retentive!

M
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #20869
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,186
I'm still taking baby steps. I've done five miles each day the last three days.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #20870
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I missed my ride Sunday, family stuff and then I put new TKC80's on the Adventure preparing for my vacation that begins in a little of a weeks time.

But, who's counting?

Then yesterday the dentist attempted to replace the temp crown with the real deal sans numbing/

Scenes from "Little shop of Horrors" danced through my mind along with white jolts of paint!

A half hour of blissful sleep induced by the needle and that numbing goodness, they began wrenching and banging away with such force you'd have thought there was an H-D emblem on my head.

At least I never overhead the doc call for the bigger hammer.

So yesterday afternoons planned ride was out. I laid on the couch where anything getting close to the left side of my jaw/head made it hurt, and everything I tried to eat or drink tasted like blood and anesthetic. Not so yummy.

Today I'm better. very, very sore, but figure to get some riding in.

I'm at the point where I can ride for an hour or two if everything is right at my maximum. My maximum works out to about a 15 mph average over two hours of riding, but oddly works out to about the same over an hour.
I seem to be able to hold a little back on the out-leg and use it up on the in-leg of the ride. I look at this as both an advantage and pitfall to riding the same training route over and over.
When I'm a little stronger I'll be able to start hill training. There are a load of mile or more long hills around here.
The one I live on is almost two miles from the bottom to the top. In places it exceeds a 17% grade. I am certain I can't do that yet and not have my chest explode.
For a perspective if that grade, "The Wall" of Morgul-Bismark fame, (OK, local fame race loop outside Boulder Colorado), was described as "...unreasonably steep..." at 8%.

Top of the wall looking northwest;

I have not been able to ride the lower, shallower half of my hill for about four years without stopping. Last time I rode the lower half non-stop I was riding the Pinarello, with a 42x23 as my climbing gear.
I want to try it again with the Roubaix once I get some more of my mojo working.
Climbing is a big booster for me since this used to be what I did. I could pretty much climb away from anybody this side of a Cat 1-2-pro. But,that was several bags of corn ships ago as the crow flies or something.
Now my goal is to get to where I can ride all day, and not feel dead at the end of the day. That would be a long term goal.
Short term would be not being winded at the top of the stairs.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #20871
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I'm feeling pretty damn proud of my self today, I did the entire* 24 mile mountian bike loop at mohician today for the first time.

Great job Tim. You may want to get a hold of Oh-Tard here on Adv. They are a great group of guys who ride down there on occasion and as fast as you are progressing, You'd enjoy the company, especially if you like shooting guns and ride Moto and I already know you ride the MOto

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #20872
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Top of the wall looking northwest;
Keep at it. It'll come. The legs know...

Re: the pic: look that way today and where there were fields, there's now houses. To the immediate left in the frame is still grasslands/park, but to the right is offices and houses.

M
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #20873
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
24 miles off road is an acomplishment somecallmetim !

Thanks for the blast from the past - haven't been to Mohican since senior skip day '82

nice long weekend coming , been plenty of rain this week, trails should be excellent

be safe and enjoy the 4th fellow pedalers
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #20874
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Yeah, I drove past there this Spring. Sad. But, the way of the world. All the building was squeezed out of Boulder back in the 70's when they added a limit on building. So, everybody around them grew.

I got 80 minutes in last night. On my out leg the headwind was huge. Managed to kick my speed up after two guys went by me while I was still warming up. I put my head down at 8 minutes and caught them. Thought about sitting in for a bit, but they had slowed way down. I was spinning at 17 so just kept it going to the little bump past the car wash.

Down the hill from La Palma I hit 25 and had shifted up a bag of cogs out back and spun at 20 mph for the next ten minutes. I'd made a deal with myself I was going for only an hour.

I lied.

Ran out to my turn around at about 41 minutes.
Made the turn and that big headwind I'd been quartering off and on, was now supposed to be a big tailwind. It didn't feel like that big of push. But, I was able to spin back to 18 and hold that up to the bridge, then after the bridge I was able to kick to 22 and hold that to just past halfway by the park, when a couple stormed by as I was resting and getting some go juice into me.
I thought about spinning up to them as they came by, but I really wanted that juice.

Then the whole cat toy thing kicked in and I chased at a middle ring sprint to anaerobic blackness somewhere north of 27 mph.
I stopped chasing as I saw I was catching, but at 100 feet or so I was not going to be able to hang on once I caught.
Sat up and wow. I need to breathe. Zero joint pain, but my lungs were on fire.
That felt good. I spun to recover, bounced up the hill to La Palma and back onto the trail past the car wash and home. I was able to hold my speed above 17 to the crossing. Once on that last hill home I had a mile of slow. But, climbed the last kick in not the bottom gear. So the legs are getting there.

So I averaged 16 mph right on the nose. I think the couple of days rest did me good. I need more than 24 hours to recover right now. It still takes about 5 minutes of spinning to get my legs loose enough to really get the spin going.
The really great part is that I have no joint pain.

Funny thing that Paul and I have both noticed. Without riding our lower backs begin to hurt, and in my case at least this ends up spreading into my left hip. In the past I had a hockey injury that was treated in a bunch of ways that did nothing for that pain. Cycling makes it go away. Not just make it better. The pain is gone. That is cool. No pills, shots or nothing, just me and my bike.

One thing I noticed was that the bike path is pretty small once you're traveling at 22 mph. I'm thinking it won't be much longer and I'm going to have to take my speed back to t he streets. I can mitigate that a good deal by just riding longer. No way I can do 20+ mph for very long or down to the beach and back.

No riding tonight, though my wife and I are celebrating 37 years of wedded bliss. I'm thinking I'll poach some fish, and fire up the hot tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Keep at it. It'll come. The legs know...

Re: the pic: look that way today and where there were fields, there's now houses. To the immediate left in the frame is still grasslands/park, but to the right is offices and houses.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #20875
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
24 miles off road is an acomplishment somecallmetim !

Thanks for the blast from the past - haven't been to Mohican since senior skip day '82

nice long weekend coming , been plenty of rain this week, trails should be excellent

be safe and enjoy the 4th fellow pedalers
I don't pedal... I peddle.

Went out for the first of my semi-weekly AT intervals. Supposed to be 4 x 10 minutes each at Threshold with 10 mins rest between. I drove through a T-storm on the way home and kept watching black clouds gather in the distance. Storm seemed to pass quickly though, so I chanced it. Same road I always train on and I was able to get three sets in before.... BOOM! Immediately to the right of me, the storm had crept behind the treeline and flanked my position. Just as I was about to start my fourth set, I recognized the familiar sight of a local general store. Even though the lady was locking up the doors (at 7pm...) I called the wife and waited the storm out. Sat there shivering on the front porch of the store as the temps dropped 15 degrees and the rain came in from every angle. At one point I could not see the road 60 yards away. My wife shows up 40 minutes later (the store is 8 miles from the house) . Riding in rain I can deal with. When the lighting starts landing all around, I call it a day. Momma didn't raise no fool...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #20876
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Yeah, I drove past there this Spring. Sad. But, the way of the world. All the building was squeezed out of Boulder back in the 70's when they added a limit on building. So, everybody around them grew.

I got 80 minutes in last night. On my out leg the headwind was huge. Managed to kick my speed up after two guys went by me while I was still warming up. I put my head down at 8 minutes and caught them. Thought about sitting in for a bit, but they had slowed way down. I was spinning at 17 so just kept it going to the little bump past the car wash.

Down the hill from La Palma I hit 25 and had shifted up a bag of cogs out back and spun at 20 mph for the next ten minutes. I'd made a deal with myself I was going for only an hour.

I lied.

Ran out to my turn around at about 41 minutes.
Made the turn and that big headwind I'd been quartering off and on, was now supposed to be a big tailwind. It didn't feel like that big of push. But, I was able to spin back to 18 and hold that up to the bridge, then after the bridge I was able to kick to 22 and hold that to just past halfway by the park, when a couple stormed by as I was resting and getting some go juice into me.
I thought about spinning up to them as they came by, but I really wanted that juice.

Then the whole cat toy thing kicked in and I chased at a middle ring sprint to anaerobic blackness somewhere north of 27 mph.
I stopped chasing as I saw I was catching, but at 100 feet or so I was not going to be able to hang on once I caught.
Sat up and wow. I need to breathe. Zero joint pain, but my lungs were on fire.
That felt good. I spun to recover, bounced up the hill to La Palma and back onto the trail past the car wash and home. I was able to hold my speed above 17 to the crossing. Once on that last hill home I had a mile of slow. But, climbed the last kick in not the bottom gear. So the legs are getting there.

So I averaged 16 mph right on the nose. I think the couple of days rest did me good. I need more than 24 hours to recover right now. It still takes about 5 minutes of spinning to get my legs loose enough to really get the spin going.
The really great part is that I have no joint pain.

Funny thing that Paul and I have both noticed. Without riding our lower backs begin to hurt, and in my case at least this ends up spreading into my left hip. In the past I had a hockey injury that was treated in a bunch of ways that did nothing for that pain. Cycling makes it go away. Not just make it better. The pain is gone. That is cool. No pills, shots or nothing, just me and my bike.

One thing I noticed was that the bike path is pretty small once you're traveling at 22 mph. I'm thinking it won't be much longer and I'm going to have to take my speed back to t he streets. I can mitigate that a good deal by just riding longer. No way I can do 20+ mph for very long or down to the beach and back.

No riding tonight, though my wife and I are celebrating 37 years of wedded bliss. I'm thinking I'll poach some fish, and fire up the hot tub.
Me too. I had chronic back pain till I started riding/getting fit. I have had some other health issues that have prevented me from riding a lot this year and my back pain came back but a I do more riding, I'm glad to say it's starting to get better again. I don't know if it's just a general weight loss, getting fitter or whether riding a bike helps with your core muscles but it def helps my back pain a lot.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #20877
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

10 minutes intervals!
Yow!
There was a time.

Lightening,

Worst I ever experienced was crossing Nebraska to do a century with my brother in Iowa one Labor Day weekend. We drove straight from work in Denver through probably five hours of lightening that was like strobes going off. Everybody in the van was asleep except me driving. The rain and hail were so loud I couldn't hear the radio so switched that off.
Couldn't see for beans, barely see the taillights in front of me every few strikes. We were all driving about 25 mph. When it stopped I found the first rest stop in Iowa, pulled over and took a half hour nap. I remember closing my eyes and all I could "see" was flashing still and it had been maybe an hour since the last strike. If it hadn't rained so hard that would have burned down the whole prairie.

In Colorado those strikes seemed to sneak up and BOOM! there it was across the road. That frequency that rattles your chest. Makes steel bikes ring. Feels like hitting a baseball with the trademark of the bat.

I got hit once on the motorcycle when a strike hit in pouring rain coming down off La Veta Pass. Grabbed the clutch on the Norton, (18 hours in and out of rain from Tucson), lightening hits across the road and lights me up. It was raining so hard I could not see my instruments and was navigating by lightening strikes. I stopped about 4 feet off the bumper of the car in front of me. They came back and offered me shelter in the back seat.
They said I lit up bright blue.

The only dry spot on my was the top of my head from the helmet, no helmet laws back then, but momma didn't raise no fools...

...that lived. I just sneaked by, by the skin of my teef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Went out for the first of my semi-weekly AT intervals. Supposed to be 4 x 10 minutes each at Threshold with 10 mins rest between. I drove through a T-storm on the way home and kept watching black clouds gather in the distance. Storm seemed to pass quickly though, so I chanced it. Same road I always train on and I was able to get three sets in before.... BOOM! Immediately to the right of me, the storm had crept behind the treeline and flanked my position. Just as I was about to start my fourth set, I recognized the familiar sight of a local general store. Even though the lady was locking up the doors (at 7pm...) I called the wife and waited the storm out. Sat there shivering on the front porch of the store as the temps dropped 15 degrees and the rain came in from every angle. At one point I could not see the road 60 yards away. My wife shows up 40 minutes later (the store is 8 miles from the house) . Riding in rain I can deal with. When the lighting starts landing all around, I call it a day. Momma didn't raise no fool...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #20878
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

didn't want to catch the ire of gummee.

And thank you Ridge, the trail off to the right (north creek) of the trailhead at Alafia is a blast. Would hate to get it wrong and tumble down into green slimey creek though. My riding partner picked up a bruised knee and two dents in his top tube. I think finishing off with roller coaster was his undoing.
We were there last Thursday and had a crew of women convicts stop in for lunch.
I was hoping for a conjugal visit when I went to change out of my sweaty gear but no luck...

* gear whore addition - recently got a new poc trabec race helmet on discount. Very nice. I already have their knee/shin guards . Quality stuff , well thought out. A little pricey but so are doctors.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #20879
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yeah, them MUTs have about a 15mph speed limit on em ya lawbreaker!

Quote:
Congrats. That's quite and achievement!

M
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #20880
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
didn't want to catch the ire of gummee.
both of y'all!

Quote:
* gear whore addition - recently got a new poc trabec race helmet on discount. Very nice. I already have their knee/shin guards . Quality stuff , well thought out. A little pricey but doctors and ER visits are more expensive by far.
fixt

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: