Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 502 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #20881
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
Thanks.
I realize that, (speed limit) too. I tend to slow if I come up on runners, or walkers. And I give them a wide berth. even taking to the gravel beside the pave.

I figure to just ride longer, no more hour sprinting. That'll slow me down a good bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yeah, them MUTs have about a 15mph speed limit on em ya lawbreaker!

Congrats. That's quite and achievement!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #20882
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Hey All!!!!

Anyone know of a good mountain bike for adventure touring/commuting..

I am thinking either 26" or 29" wheels, steel frame and able to mount racks front and back.

Can you run 26" wheels on a 29" wheel frame? reason I ask is that it would be nice to switch from 29" to 700c to 26" wheels or have the ability to do so.

I currently have a surly cross check with 700c wheels and like that bike for on road riding / touring.

Looking for more of a off road capable bike....
thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #20883
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Hey All!!!!

Anyone know of a good mountain bike for adventure touring/commuting..

I am thinking either 26" or 29" wheels, steel frame and able to mount racks front and back.

Can you run 26" wheels on a 29" wheel frame? reason I ask is that it would be nice to switch from 29" to 700c to 26" wheels or have the ability to do so.

I currently have a surly cross check with 700c wheels and like that bike for on road riding / touring.

Looking for more of a off road capable bike....
thanks
That's easy, Salsa Fargo... next question please.

All except for the whole 29" to 26" question which really doesn't make much sense to me. Once you go 29'er, there's no reason to go back IMHO.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #20884
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

All except for the whole 29" to 26" question which really doesn't make much sense to me. Once you go 29'er, there's no reason to go back IMHO.
IF you have disc brakes, you can run road-sized rims and tires on your 26er. See C-dale's Bad Boy line for more details

If you have a 29er you can do the same thing, but running 26er wheels and tires is contra-indicated.

For all-round use off-road, go 26er. Been the standard since before I started riding in the late 80s. You may not be able to get presta tubes in Wal Mart, but if you're in the middle of BFE you WILL be able to get schrader tubes there.

If you're off-roading and it doesn't involve say going down the Continental Divide trail, 29ers seem to be the new hotness.

If you're a 17 or smaller (frame size) the 650 wheeled bikes seem to be better for us. Fewer compromises in geometries and such.

These are my opinions and worth exactly what you're paying for them.

M
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #20885
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post

A 29r will accept 700 x 30c road tires for the smooth stuff. I bought a 29r and won't go back

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #20886
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:

These are my opinions and worth exactly what you're paying for them.

M

29er=700c

Forget about the small wheels (26") unless you are doing freeride or downhill riding.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #20887
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

X2 (except for freeride or downhill) The Fargo is a sweet bike.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #20888
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post

29er=700c

29r = 700c but a 700c is sometimes called a 28" (tubular) yet it is smaller than a 27" which would mean 29 < 27

If you think that is bad, try putting a 20 x 1.75 tire on a 20 x 1-3/8" rim. I think the same works with the 26" narrow tires also but probably wrong

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #20889
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
29r = 700c but a 700c is sometimes called a 28" (tubular) yet it is smaller than a 27" which would mean 29 < 27

If you think that is bad, try putting a 20 x 1.75 tire on a 20 x 1-3/8" rim. I think the same works with the 26" narrow tires also but probably wrong
If anyone walks into the shop with a tire size that ends in 3/8" I refuse to work on it. Sorry but the risk of failure is too great. No hook bead and the possibility of it being another size that I don't know about. I choose to devote my knowledge to modern technology.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #20890
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
If anyone walks into the shop with a tire size that ends in 3/8" I refuse to work on it. Sorry but the risk of failure is too great. No hook bead and the possibility of it being another size that I don't know about. I choose to devote my knowledge to modern technology.
You must not do anything with old 27" wheeled bikes either, huh? Same technology.

Rode for an easy hour yesterday AM then played UW Hockey at 3/4 speed last nite.

WhyTF am I awake before 0600 when I went to bed at 2345?!

M
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #20891
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You must not do anything with old 27" wheeled bikes either, huh? Same technology.

Rode for an easy hour yesterday AM then played UW Hockey at 3/4 speed last nite.

WhyTF am I awake before 0600 when I went to bed at 2345?!

M
Yes and no, there are quite a few 27" wheel bikes that have hook beads. Plus there is only one 27" diameter, unlike the 3 or 4 different 26x 1 3/8 diameters. We have the benefit of having another bike shop near by that specializes in old bikes.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #20892
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yes and no, there are quite a few 27" wheel bikes that have hook beads. Plus there is only one 27" diameter, unlike the 3 or 4 different 26x 1 3/8 diameters. We have the benefit of having another bike shop near by that specializes in old bikes.
I was about to type that I woulda killed to not hafta work on the old stuff, the owners of said old stuff were the most grateful that we got their bikes working. Guys with D/A and Red riding Pinarellos were usually jerks. Go figger

1:21 this AM. Easy-ish cruise. Found myself riding 'tempo' some tho. Gonna bite me tomorrow...

M
Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #20893
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Gotta watch those asshats with them Pinarello's.

Quote:
I was about to type that I woulda killed to not hafta work on the old stuff, the owners of said old stuff were the most grateful that we got their bikes working. Guys with D/A and Red riding Pinarellos were usually jerks. Go figger

1:21 this AM. Easy-ish cruise. Found myself riding 'tempo' some tho. Gonna bite me tomorrow...

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #20894
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Hi cyclists,
I'm looking for some advice on a new bike.I currently ride a 15yr. old Schwinn Frontier.I bought it new and used it regularly the first couple years(.Nothing wrong with my bike I keep it maintained and it works for what I do now but I got the hots to upgrade) Then it sat for a while and about 2yrs. ago I started riding it again.I put steet tires on it.I ride 2-3 times a week 12-15 miles at a time maybe a 20-30 mile ride 2 times a month.I'm 61 retired and 6"1" 210 (lost 25 reecently do to biking and diet).I'm looking increase my road riding and up the milage but I also want to still ride the gravel rail trails and drop off of curbs now and then when riding in town.The bike I'm looking at is the Specialized Sirrus Sport.Any comments if this would work for the type of riding I want to do.Also I'd like to be able to haul some gear and do some overnighters on the C&O canal.Any suggestions apreciated.
Thanks Pat
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #20895
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My riding buddy built a Surely just for that type of riding. He has hauled tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and a Kermit chair 20 miles to a campsite twice this year. He regularly commutes using the surely and the train. And riding that thing he has ridden himself into enough shape I can't keep up with him when he is on the commute loaded Surely and I on my Training Roubaix.
Hence my recent re-commitment to working out.
He is running street tires on 26" mtb rims with a 3x10 spd set up I think. V-brakes,

Crappy image, I'll get another someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
Hi cyclists,
I'm looking for some advice on a new bike.I currently ride a 15yr. old Schwinn Frontier.I bought it new and used it regularly the first couple years(.Nothing wrong with my bike I keep it maintained and it works for what I do now but I got the hots to upgrade) Then it sat for a while and about 2yrs. ago I started riding it again.I put steet tires on it.I ride 2-3 times a week 12-15 miles at a time maybe a 20-30 mile ride 2 times a month.I'm 61 retired and 6"1" 210 (lost 25 reecently do to biking and diet).I'm looking increase my road riding and up the milage but I also want to still ride the gravel rail trails and drop off of curbs now and then when riding in town.The bike I'm looking at is the Specialized Sirrus Sport.Any comments if this would work for the type of riding I want to do.Also I'd like to be able to haul some gear and do some overnighters on the C&O canal.Any suggestions apreciated.
Thanks Pat
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: