Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #20881
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They are shit,Bad on the unloaded bike, Scary on the loaded one. It's the one thing bad about this bike. suggestions?

IRD's are supposed to be pretty nice. They are easy to set-up with the correct cable geometry.

mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #20882
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
yeah. toss out that liquid wrench, its nearly worthless. Kroil Oil or Blaster PB. be da kine. have you gotten the threaded end off the quick release? if its still stuck, I think I'd use a dremel and grind some flats on it that you can get a wrench on... and I'd probably do something similar to destroy/remove as much as possible of the other end of the quick release too.

I suppose worst case, try and disassemble the axle with the skewer still in it, then put the axle in a drill press (or ideally, a milling machine), and drill whats left of the the skewer out.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give PB blaster a shot. I have the hub and skewer out of the wheel. The threaded end comes off easily. I would destroy it but it is an unusual size. It's much thicker then the extra skewers I have.. My old billet purble Ringle skewers are much thinner. I'll try PB and I will double nut the threaded end.
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #20883
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwlslyr View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll give PB blaster a shot. I have the hub and skewer out of the wheel. The threaded end comes off easily. I would destroy it but it is an unusual size. It's much thicker then the extra skewers I have.. My old billet purble Ringle skewers are much thinner. I'll try PB and I will double nut the threaded end.
can you get the axle out of the hub? if its cones and balls, should be easy. if so, after soaking in some good penetrating oil, try applying some mild heat to the axle (eg, hot air gun, not blowtorch).
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #20884
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Quote:
can you get the axle out of the hub? if its cones and balls, should be easy. if so, after soaking in some good penetrating oil, try applying some mild heat to the axle (eg, hot air gun, not blowtorch).
I have the axle out. I have the bearings off the threaded end. The skewer lever prevents the removal of the bearings on the other end. I've got the pb blaster on now. I didn't think of the heat gun. I've been staring at my propane torch thinking it was a bad idea. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #20885
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
I thought most bicycle disk brake hydraulics used mineral oil, not DOT5 ? I know the Shimanos on my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR are mineral oil.

Sorry late to respond. Have been healing. You are correct shimanos use mineral oil. I bought a bleed kit for the avids and thebottle didn't specify DOT number but had a warning from the state of California that it could cause reproductive issues .?
I was way wrong on my rash. Was not from the brake fluid but was poison sumac. First doctor I saw said NO definitely isn't poison sumac, ivy or oak... idiot. Saw a dermatologist and it took her two seconds to diagnose. Had poison ivy as a high school kid 30 years ago but nothing like this. Strange thing was it didn't itch.

While waiting to see if I get the replacement (juicy 3) I was promised I am using a friends shimano deore hydros he had sitting new on a shelf. Finally after three weeks of rashy nastiness got a good 2 hour ride in at Alafia state park.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #20886
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I bought my 6 year old son a Raleigh Rowdy (with 20" wheels) kid's bike yesterday. Scored it used on CL for $40. It has a 1x6 speed gripshift with Shimano Journey derailleur, Tektro brakes, Suntour forks, Cane Creek headset. It is 10 times better than the hand me down, taco wheeled, Mao Mart POS he has been riding for the last year. We went out to the local nature park today and rode for 1.5 hours on the paved/gravel roads. The boy got the hang of the grip shift in a hurry and was making me work to keep up on the flats, as he spun it out in sixth. He was smiling the whole time. We covered at least 12 miles. What a great Father's Day. I've been waiting years for this.
I have seen some great deals on CL lately, but I can't really justify another bike. I like grip shift for newbies. It is a very intuitive shifting mechanism. I used to LOVE riding with my daughters. We had a mud hole at the end of the street that we would hit after a rain. We would all come home covered in mud.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #20887
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
While waiting to see if I get the replacement (juicy 3) I was promised I am using a friends shimano deore hydros he had sitting new on a shelf. Finally after three weeks of rashy nastiness got a good 2 hour ride in at Alafia state park.
You ever see a SS rigid 29'er in all black out at Alafia? If so, he's a great friend of mine and I would appreciate it if you would give him some shit about that bike and those trails. He rides a Vassago Jabberwocky. I love the Bridges trail and North Creek. Moonscape and Gatorback can Kiss my ass...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #20888
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
DT Swiss makes replacements. You can get em thru QBP.

You're really not gonna lose much if you just replace the hub. They were just OK FWIRemember

M
Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #20889
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
You ever see a SS rigid 29'er in all black out at Alafia? If so, he's a great friend of mine and I would appreciate it if you would give him some shit about that bike and those trails. He rides a Vassago Jabberwocky. I love the Bridges trail and North Creek. Moonscape and Gatorback can Kiss my ass...
Was only my second time there. And it was also club day for swampclub.org sooo lot's of nice bikes and people everywhere. WIll keep an eye out.

Moonscape is a torture device. I want to see someone ride that clean.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #20890
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Was only my second time there. And it was also club day for swampclub.org sooo lot's of nice bikes and people everywhere. WIll keep an eye out.

Moonscape is a torture device. I want to see someone ride that clean.
You and me both! The last time I attempted it on my Giant FSR, I came down hard on a rock after missing a climb and warped my rear rotor as well as put a 1/4" dent in my rear triangle. We were standing on the frame using the picnic tables under the shelter as a prybar to straighten it out enough to ride again. I actually like Boyette much better. It flows so well and everything connects better. Alafia is good for a technical challenge though. My friend is also a SWAMP club member, so you should run into him at some point.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #20891
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
question for the masses. I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail with a mix of xtr/xt that is in great shape. It was recently caught in a flood here at my home. This particular year came with an oversized front hub. The quick release is siezed inside the hub. After soaking for three days with liquid wrench I still can't get it out. Any suggestions?
PB Blaster is awesome stuff. Soak it with PB. Put the hub back together and screw the QR end on so that the end of the QR axle almost pokes through. Now hit it with a hammer. If that does not work it might be time for a new hub or a new wheel.
If the QR is seized in the front hub, how is the rest of the bike? Check the bottom bracket, rear hub bearings, the rear freehub is probably trashed, head set bearings, pull the seat post and grease it, have the suspension fork overhauled.
Bikes and water don't mix. I have been seeing a lot of bikes in the shop this year with issues because of the wet spring we had. One customer was riding to DC and the C&O path was flooded by 1-2 feet of water. He did 130 miles of riding in water that day. Needless to say his bike was trashed. There was water everywhere, it even contaminated the oil in his Fox fork and filled his damper full of muck.
Another customer was riding with some buddies and came across a swollen creek crossing. They decided to swim across with their bikes. The customer came in with a $3500 bike that he bought a few months ago with almost every bearing locked up. We had to rebuild everything.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #20892
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
PB Blaster is awesome stuff. Soak it with PB. Put the hub back together and screw the QR end on so that the end of the QR axle almost pokes through. Now hit it with a hammer. If that does not work it might be time for a new hub or a new wheel.
If the QR is seized in the front hub, how is the rest of the bike? Check the bottom bracket, rear hub bearings, the rear freehub is probably trashed, head set bearings, pull the seat post and grease it, have the suspension fork overhauled.
Bikes and water don't mix. I have been seeing a lot of bikes in the shop this year with issues because of the wet spring we had. One customer was riding to DC and the C&O path was flooded by 1-2 feet of water. He did 130 miles of riding in water that day. Needless to say his bike was trashed. There was water everywhere, it even contaminated the oil in his Fox fork and filled his damper full of muck.
Another customer was riding with some buddies and came across a swollen creek crossing. They decided to swim across with their bikes. The customer came in with a $3500 bike that he bought a few months ago with almost every bearing locked up. We had to rebuild everything.
PB and the heat gun did the trick. I will check the bottom bracket next. I'm unemployed so new parts are not on the agenda. The hub bearings were fine. I will pull the rear hub a part and check it. Thanks for the suggestions. L'll pull the forks apart and grease the coil springs and check the cartridge. The front wheel was off and got submerged. The bottom bracket was submerged. The rear hub may not have been under. The bike was not ridden in this condition so hopefully with some maintanence everything will be o.k.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #20893
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
IT'S HERE!!!

Trek was in deed out of recycled beer can frames so they sent me one made of plastic...

My new Super Fly SS

Initiation, Tuesday, 6pm, Mohican State Park
One purdy machine!
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #20894
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
PB and the heat gun did the trick. I will check the bottom bracket next. I'm unemployed so new parts are not on the agenda. The hub bearings were fine. I will pull the rear hub a part and check it. Thanks for the suggestions. L'll pull the forks apart and grease the coil springs and check the cartridge. The front wheel was off and got submerged. The bottom bracket was submerged. The rear hub may not have been under. The bike was not ridden in this condition so hopefully with some maintanence everything will be o.k.
What components are ya running? I have a stash of somewhat older stuff that I can part with a bit or two for a fellow unemployed SOB

M
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #20895
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
100 cyclists riding at 2am???? Agreed she should be buried under the jail and never sit behind the wheel of a vehicle again!
Very scary.. was a bunch of hipster fixie riders, no lights, no reflectors, no gear, but still scary.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: