ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #20941
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,847
this was quite funny

http://www.27bslash6.com/bike.html


Seat constructed by a team of physicists using the largest and most expensive laser on earth.
B. Titanium composite alloy frame such as NASA uses on the space shuttle.
C. Tyres made from rubber collected from a rare tree in the Amazon forest by tribal elders.
D. Handle bars made from Polycarbonate fibre from the future.
E. Brakes made from Pretanium, a metal not yet discovered by man.
F. Shimano gears because they are the best.
G. Pedals formed by pressure in the lower atmosphere of Jupiter.

People often say to me "That's a nice bicycle John" and I reply, "Yes, it is made out of a titanium composite alloy such as NASA uses on the space shuttle and it has Shimano gears which are the best." Just a few weeks ago, while I was taking a rest from riding my bicycle on a park bench, a man walking past said to me "That's a nice bicycle, can I take it for a ride? I will bring it right back" and I said "Sure, but be careful because it is made out of a titanium composite alloy such as NASA uses on the space shuttle and it has Shimano gears which are the best."
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #20942
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Skip to 6:10. Substitute 'Cat 3' for 'Commander'




Congrats!

M
Okay... maybe not quite that bad and I have never seen a cat 1/2 that looked anything like that green dude. Just call me by my new nickname of pack fodder.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #20943
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
http://www.27bslash6.com/bike.html


Seat constructed by a team of physicists using the largest and most expensive laser on earth.
B. Titanium composite alloy frame such as NASA uses on the space shuttle.
C. Tyres made from rubber collected from a rare tree in the Amazon forest by tribal elders.
D. Handle bars made from Polycarbonate fibre from the future.
E. Brakes made from Pretanium, a metal not yet discovered by man.
F. Shimano gears because they are the best.
G. Pedals formed by pressure in the lower atmosphere of Jupiter.

People often say to me "That's a nice bicycle John" and I reply, "Yes, it is made out of a titanium composite alloy such as NASA uses on the space shuttle and it has Shimano gears which are the best." Just a few weeks ago, while I was taking a rest from riding my bicycle on a park bench, a man walking past said to me "That's a nice bicycle, can I take it for a ride? I will bring it right back" and I said "Sure, but be careful because it is made out of a titanium composite alloy such as NASA uses on the space shuttle and it has Shimano gears which are the best."
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #20944
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
A field of tossers if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
So I got this email this morning saying I am now a Cat 3 USAC road racer.... oh what have I gotten myself into...
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #20945
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
Ultimately they all will.
My view is that as technology advances so will both the doping masking techniques and the detection techniques.
The technology has driven the rules/laws to be ever more technical, assuming everyone is pure as the driven snow, or that the driven snow is in fact pure, or how pure is pure...

Wait, I think I lost the plot...

Ah here it is; Basically I agree with Smokey Yunick, when he quipped, "...racing is the pursuit of the unfair advantage."

My feeling on the current LA saga is that, that is a witch hunt by a pencil-necked geek that was always the team waterboy and never made the team. Hence his pursuit of Bonds, et al.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this

Sounds like he got off on a technicality...



M
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #20946
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Good find.

Congrats on the next step up the ladder Ridge.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #20947
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
So I got this email this morning saying I am now a Cat 3 USAC road racer.... oh what have I gotten myself into...
Deeper in the Pain Cave is what.

Great job on the Ace series, somtimes not seeing all that info frees you up to just race.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #20948
Oznerol
The Happy Machine
 
Oznerol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Oddometer: 963
Carbon fiber repair?

Went for my first road ride in a good while, today.

About 10 miles in, I noticed that the water bottle cage on my Roubaix's downtube was wiggling a bit. I looked closer and discovered that the metal of the top water bottle boss had separated from the carbon fiber of the downtube.

Anybody have any experience with having something like this repaired, or doing it themselves? The Specialized website says they don't do carbon fiber frame repair, but although a bit of the carbon fiber came away with the metal, I doubt there's been any real compromise to strength, and I'm thinking that with the right epoxy I could just glue the thing back in there and not have to pay the cost of a crash (ha!) replacement frame.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #20949
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 222
Calfee does CF repairs:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/

you might also check with Specialized, something like that might be covered under warranty.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #20950
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Went for my first road ride in a good while, today.

About 10 miles in, I noticed that the water bottle cage on my Roubaix's downtube was wiggling a bit. I looked closer and discovered that the metal of the top water bottle boss had separated from the carbon fiber of the downtube.

Anybody have any experience with having something like this repaired, or doing it themselves? The Specialized website says they don't do carbon fiber frame repair, but although a bit of the carbon fiber came away with the metal, I doubt there's been any real compromise to strength, and I'm thinking that with the right epoxy I could just glue the thing back in there and not have to pay the cost of a crash (ha!) replacement frame.
Chances are your LBS has a riv-nut tool. All that happened is your riv-nut worked its way loose.

You can either have em drill it out and install a new one, or just have em stick the gun on it and tighten things.

That is assuming (and you know how that goes) that that's all that happened.

I've done a few of em. No big deal.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #20951
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Built up the Airborne Ti frame that I'd bought earlier in the year. Swapped the parts off the Quattro Assi.

Now I gotta find parts for one or the other so I have both built. They both have 1" steerers, which makes things slightly tougher.

Oh, new team I'm fixin to join is probably being sponsored by Cannondale. Wish me luck!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #20952
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Built up the Airborne Ti frame that I'd bought earlier in the year. Swapped the parts off the Quattro Assi.

Now I gotta find parts for one or the other so I have both built. They both have 1" steerers, which makes things slightly tougher.

Oh, new team I'm fixin to join is probably being sponsored by Cannondale. Wish me luck!

M

They gonna give you a frame?
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #20953
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They gonna give you a frame?
Give? Doubt it. Discount? Probably.

IDK the details of any of this. There's rumors of a Subaru 'team car,' Hincapie clothing discounts, and a few other things from one of the 'local' (if you call an hour away local) shops here in the DC area. We'll see what all pans out.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #20954
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Give? Doubt it. Discount? Probably.

IDK the details of any of this. There's rumors of a Subaru 'team car,' Hincapie clothing discounts, and a few other things from one of the 'local' (if you call an hour away local) shops here in the DC area. We'll see what all pans out.

M

Good Luck!
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #20955
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Good Luck!
thanks. Just got off the bike after the 1st "team ride" 4.5hrs and about 77mi
I'm tired
M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014