Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #20956
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
This weekend made it official. I turned in my 5 year-old beat up mtb shoes and SPDs for white Sidis and SPD-SL pedals on the roadie.

I've gone full Fred.

Another one bites the dust...

Actually, you'll appreciate it, the larger platform will help support your feet on long hardnrides.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #20957
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Another one bites the dust...

Actually, you'll appreciate it, the larger platform will help support your feet on long hardnrides.
I put a 30mi shakedown ride on them on Saturday and made a few tweaks to the cleat position, then took them out for 52mi on Monday. I made one more adjustment during the ride and I think I'm all set now. I'm sure my spin was .02487% more efficient and now I can do that funky duck-walk at Starbucks.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #20958
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
I put a 30mi shakedown ride on them on Saturday and made a few tweaks to the cleat position, then took them out for 52mi on Monday. I made one more adjustment during the ride and I think I'm all set now. I'm sure my spin was .02487% more efficient and now I can do that funky duck-walk at Starbucks.
I think in order to be full FRED, you must also be wearing a PRO team kit as well. Enjoy the new skips, they should break in nicely to your feet after a few hundred miles. My Sidi Genius feel like a second skin now.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #20959
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Be very careful. Them c-store floors can be SLICK!

Otherwise: my mtn shoes are good to about 90min then I start to get hot spots under the cleats. ...and these are M210s with carbon soles!

I need another pair of shoes. The Nike Poggios that I'm wearing as my second pair are disintigrating. Last time I did this, I ended up with silver and teal Sidis to go with my black Geniuses. The 90s were good to me.

M
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #20960
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Speaking of cyclocross, I'm looking at building up a Soma Double Cross. I like the multifunctional nature (can't afford dedicated road and cross bikes). It appears well-suited to the kind of riding I do; dirt paths, fire roads, some singletrack, then swap out the wheels and make like a roadie. The reviews are positive, just wondering if anyone on the Esteemed Panel has any experience with it. It looks like I'll be doing the build in super slo-mo, buying components as I can afford them, upgrading my existing cross bike, then swapping them all over to the new frame once I have all the fixins.
Another option to the Soma is the Black Mountain Cycles MonsterCross.

Look down the page for descriptions. Neat multi-use bike.

It runs about $630 so it is more than the Soma DC.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #20961
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Another option to the Soma is the Black Mountain Cycles MonsterCross.

Look down the page for descriptions. Neat multi-use bike.

It runs about $630 so it is more than the Soma DC.
Nice. Still on the conventional end of the spectrum, which I like. I'm just not into the whole compact frame geometry thing that the Fargo has going on. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #20962
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Done right, you don't need to outbrake em. Hop off and back on at a faster speed does the same thing.

Trouble is... getting to the point where you can hop off at speed takes some cojones. DAMHIK

M
I was perusing the magazine rack at Barnes and Noble and read an article in a CX rag about the recent number of injuries in races due to riders bunny hopping the barriers. Sometimes it don't go so good.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #20963
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
I was perusing the magazine rack at Barnes and Noble and read an article in a CX rag about the recent number of injuries in races due to riders bunny hopping the barriers. Sometimes it don't go so good.
Them barriers are BIG!

I could probably figger it out in time, but at race speed, in a race, etc? I think I'll hop off and run like the all the rest of us idiots out there racing.

Done right, cross dismounts are something to see. Just don't watch me for a how-to!

M
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #20964
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Cyclocross DIY project.

So, I'm entertaining the thought of dabbling in CX to keep my legs in some semblance of shape for the fast approaching off-season. I do not, however, wish to pay through the nose for a dedicated cross rig just yet. At least let me try it for a few races to see if it's as addicting as all my race peers keep telling me it is.

What I ask of you guys is some suggestions for a good platform on which to build up a SS cross rig. Is it better to go with an old lugged steel frame road bike with 27" wheels, or vintage MTB?

This is probably more than you want to spend,but just a thought

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=8&minor=1
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #20965
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Very sorry to read this Zodiac.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I lost a cousin two years ago not cycling but, driving home after a day of. We had been planning to do the RAGBRAI together with my brother and a few more family members. That tore my heart hard. I grew up babysitting him and This was also right after losing my mom to a stroke. That was a tough year.

Again, sorry to hear. I bet you have some great rides to remember though. Part of why I take the time to travel to fish with my dad. I never know when the next time will be the last time. I figure to celebrate life by making memories now. I'll have time enough to work later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Got that call no one wants yesterday. Mom & Dad were up doing their annual bike club ride 4th of July wknd in Vermont.

Their 2nd day; Dad was riding ahead of his club on a descent 10 deg. No one was with him- but when they came upon him he was lying on the side of the road unconscious bleeding profusely from the head, he was wearing his helmet. He had done this ride 20 times.

I'm up in Vt now w my siblings working out the details- just thought I'd vent. Still not clear how it happened. 65 yrs old planning his retirement and a 3 week trip to Alaska...

Accidental deaths are freaky.

I just know he'd be so pissed off and embarrassed to die this way, he was a seasoned/veteran cyclist. I can picture him saying "Oh Shit" as he went down, lost control. From all evidence it looks as though he was descending a place called "Terrible Mountain" (route 100 VT.) which is a steep 5 mile climb, followed by a 3 mile descent. Around mile 2 of the descent he lost control, either by hitting a frost heave (the road is actually in poor condition with large gaps and cracks/splits) at approximately 45mph. The fall was so violent he had severe head/face injury and literally must have bounced 3 times a distance of 40 to 50'. When we went back today there was still large blood stains even though it was pouring rain (it was dry yesterday).

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #20966
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Very sorry to read this Zodiac.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I lost a cousin two years ago not cycling but, driving home after a day of. We had been planning to do the RAGBRAI together with my brother and a few more family members. That tore my heart hard. I grew up babysitting him and This was also right after losing my mom to a stroke. That was a tough year.

Again, sorry to hear. I bet you have some great rides to remember though. Part of why I take the time to travel to fish with my dad. I never know when the next time will be the last time. I figure to celebrate life by making memories now. I'll have time enough to work later.

Thanks (and thank you all for the very kind thoughts/words/prayers/wishes).

Got the results of the autopsy last night - he was healthy as a horse so no stroke or attack in the saddle - just 3 options now;

1. Loss of control after hitting a hole/frost heave (the road is actually in pretty bad condition, I would've been iffy on it on any bike let alone a roadie)

2. Mechanical - tire were good but chain was off although that could of happened after the crash.

3. Animal or car (no one saw a car crest the hill for or aft but you never know) distraction.

Going offline for a while, cheers and thanks. Bicycling for me will always be a bit strange now, especially descents.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #20967
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,190
I didn't realize it was a bicycle accident instead of a motorcycle accident. Either way, a real tragedy.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #20968
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I think in order to be full FRED, you must also be wearing a PRO team kit as well. Enjoy the new skips, they should break in nicely to your feet after a few hundred miles. My Sidi Genius feel like a second skin now.

I found a killer deal on some Sidi Genius 5.5 just around Memorial Day.

I guess I'll have to order some team kit. I'll just wait to see who wins the TdF. Or maybe I should get a KotM jersey? I could wear it ironically with a hipster mustache.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #20969
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
This is probably more than you want to spend,but just a thought

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=8&minor=1
My LBS of choice is a Stevens dealer. Nice bikes.

I'm looking at doing some more mountain biking @ night to escape the heat of the day. I need to upgrade/augment my lighting from the single Niterider MiNewt I have now. Suggestions? I've been pondering the Magicshine LEDs on dealextreme.com, but would prefer to give my $$$ to a LBS if possible.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #20970
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
My LBS of choice is a Stevens dealer. Nice bikes.

I'm looking at doing some more mountain biking @ night to escape the heat of the day. I need to upgrade/augment my lighting from the single Niterider MiNewt I have now. Suggestions? I've been pondering the Magicshine LEDs on dealextreme.com, but would prefer to give my $$$ to a LBS if possible.
Well that rules out my suggestion. I saw the Minewts on sale at Jenson yesterday.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: