User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #20956
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Whew! Just back from Blood, Sweat and Gears 2011. Just glad it's done and in the books. 103 miles in 5:54 and about 9500 feet of climbing. I must give appreciation to my years of motorcycling. All those toothpick looking pantywaists that could pass me on the climbs had their asses handed to them on the descents! I never saw them again and only had one guy that I could not catch going downhill. I hit 49mph and grinning the entire time!

Now back to my weekly suffer fests to get ready for my first 3 race.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #20957
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I must give appreciation to my years of motorcycling.
It's always a good time when you find yourself applying motorcycling skills on the bicycle.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #20958
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,717
I did another 2 hours yesterday. Felt good, though I had to stop at about 1:45 I was just tired of sitting on that saddle. Stood around talking to a park ranger for almost an hour in the cool shade.

Today? Nothing. A short walk to the beach and back with the family.
Rest day of photos and friends. I needed the rest. Tomorrow I'm back at it.
Oh, I did manage to lever a new set of tires on the motorcycle preparing for my trip after the 4th.
My legs are pretty fried after this weeks riding. 8 hours or so for the week. Not big by back-in-the-day standards but big for my now.

Last bits are falling into place. Time for the hot tub it was 100 on the driveway today. Great for loosening up the big knobbies but not so good in the garage. Probably could have rung out my shirt and shorts. Wearing my safety flip-flops, no incidents this time round.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #20959
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Whew! Just back from Blood, Sweat and Gears 2011. Just glad it's done and in the books. 103 miles in 5:54 and about 9500 feet of climbing. I must give appreciation to my years of motorcycling. All those toothpick looking pantywaists that could pass me on the climbs had their asses handed to them on the descents! I never saw them again and only had one guy that I could not catch going downhill. I hit 49mph and grinning the entire time!

The Pain Cave awaits.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #20960
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:

I checked the BSG website, That's really sounds like a lot of fun.....NOT! The parkway can be steep enough,but some of the roads that come on and off the parkway around Boone are brutal.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #20961
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Hey Gummie

I found this at jenson's usa http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+3+Brake.aspx

will they work? The ones you suggested are just too spendy.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #20962
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Hey Gummie

I found this at jenson's usa http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+3+Brake.aspx

I almost got those for a hybrid I built up, they are essentially V-brakes that don't need a noodle, and need to be used with v-brake compatible brake-levers, as they have the lower force, longer pull requirements of a v-brake.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #20963
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Hey Gummie

Look at the Avid Single Digit 5 (BR7090) brakes, they are a good solid brake for under $20 each wheel. Then buy Tektro ergo v-brake levers (BR7213) for less than $30. $65-$70 total and you will have a real nice brake setup.
I put the part numbers in there if you want to stop by your local bike shop and have them ordered.

The price Jenson has those brakes listed for is more than what most bike shops would be selling them for. Plus you have to pay shipping. Just FYI.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #20964
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,685
Quote:
Hey Gummie

There's other mini-v brakes out there for lots less than $50/end. Not quite as nice tho.

AFA the question: nope. These are mtn brakes. Need longer pull levers. IF you're running bar-cons, you can do what trailer rails is suggesting. If you're running STI, you're stuck with mini-v brakes unless you want to add a travel agent.

M
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #20965
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,717
Awesome!

Quote:

Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #20966
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I did another 2 hours yesterday. Felt good, though I had to stop at about 1:45 I was just tired of sitting on that saddle. Stood around talking to a park ranger for almost an hour in the cool shade.

Today? Nothing. A short walk to the beach and back with the family.
Rest day of photos and friends. I needed the rest. Tomorrow I'm back at it.
Oh, I did manage to lever a new set of tires on the motorcycle preparing for my trip after the 4th.
My legs are pretty fried after this weeks riding. 8 hours or so for the week. Not big by back-in-the-day standards but big for my now.

Last bits are falling into place. Time for the hot tub it was 100 on the driveway today. Great for loosening up the big knobbies but not so good in the garage. Probably could have rung out my shirt and shorts. Wearing my safety flip-flops, no incidents this time round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Awesome!
Likewise! Keep up the good work!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #20967
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Had the first meeting of the CVRD/Team U-Neak Designs team last nite. Why is there always one guy that HAS to ask stoopit questions and make everything run REAL long?

How does sponsorship work? How do you determine how much people pay? Do you have a copy of the by-laws? Blah blah blah.

Basically what we are is a friends of the guy that started the team/club that he wants to race with him. There's 5 of us... Not like its SDBC or NCVC with hundreds of memebers.

I really wasn't in the mood to listen to his shit after riding 4.5 hrs.

We had a 'Hincapie team clothing try-on session' yesterday afternoon. I found out I'm a med in Hincapie stuff. I've pretty much always been a 'medium and a half' (IOW med is too tight and large isn't tight enough) so finding I fit med is great.

M
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #20968
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,444

Quote:

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #20969
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,444
Thursday went out with the local club (Western Wheelers) and put in a good 35 miles. Like riding with there B rides as a cool down run. Lots of stopping and regroup with a lunch stop along the way.

Saturday is my work day. Left the hose at 5:30 am and did 50 in 3.5 hrs. I know that is not fast for you hot shoes, but for me it was a killer. These old knees are still barking, but worth it. I still have trouble pacing myself. Start out too fast and then try to hang on at the end. Keeping my heart rate in the 150-160 range with a 80-90 on the peddles.

Need to understand at my age. it is about the tortoises and the hare thing. There are some people in the club ride in there 70's that can just beat my ass like a redheaded step child.

Joc
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #20970
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Thursday went out with the local club (Western Wheelers) and put in a good 35 miles. Like riding with THEIR B rides as a cool down run. Lots of stopping and regroup with a lunch stop along the way.

Saturday is my work day. Left the HOUSE at 5:30 am and did 50 in 3.5 hrs. I know that is not fast for you hot shoes, but for me it was a killer. These old knees are still barking, but worth it. I still have trouble pacing myself. Start out too fast and then try to hang on at the end. Keeping my heart rate in the 150-160 range with a 80-90 on the PEDALS.

Need to understand at my age. it is about the tortoises and the hare thing. There are some people in the club ride in there 70's that can just beat my ass like a redheaded step child.

Joc
Fixt to make Klay happy.

You're welcome

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: