Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #20971
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,419
Thanks..spelling police..

Found a job for you. A new start up here in the bay area.

http://pumptire.com/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sls/2413601113.html

Your welcome. Now get a job you bum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Fixt to make Klay happy.

You're welcome

M
Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #20972
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Thanks..spelling police..

Found a job for you. A new start up here in the bay area.

http://pumptire.com/

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sls/2413601113.html

Your welcome. Now get a job you bum...
I'm actually workin at Mutual of Omaha here in NoVA but I appreciate you lookin out for me.

M
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #20973
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,419
Good,now buy my GS.. How is the Gold wing going? Get the clutch fixed yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm actually workin at Mutual of Omaha here in NoVA but I appreciate you lookin out for me.

M
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #20974
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Good,now buy my GS.. How is the Gold wing going? Get the clutch fixed yet?
I haven't the motivation to work on the whale at the moment. There's something about riding a bike that weighs as much as a small car that doesn't do it for me.

...until I wanna bring a bicycle with me!

I'm working on the other part. Need life insurance? Long Term Care? (in VA?!)

M
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #20975
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
I'm feeling pretty damn proud of my self today, I did the entire* 24 mile mountian bike loop at mohician today for the first time. It has only been about a month since i was able to even do the first mile without stopping, thus far the most trail i did in a day was 16 mi.

I really feel like I have gotten over a big hump. The first 11 I only stopped at the end of sections for a little break & was feeling pretty good, miles 12 -13 are nothing but uphill, i had to rest a bunch there, by 14 I decided I was done & would take the blacktop home after mile 19. As luck would have it I came across a guy who had a flat & was having trouble with his pump about mile 16. It took us a bit to figure that he needed to flip the head on his pump aroung to fit the prestas. Duh.

16-19 are nice twisty, rolling bliss & the flat guy stopped to let me by, i was feeling better, so I pushed on throught ther rest of the trail. 20-24 has a bunch of hard rooty/rocky uphills that I just couldn't clear. I hate pushing my bike. OTHO I managed to not drop the bike all day.

* minus about a quarter mile of up hill i skip because of the way i come from my house. it took me 4 and a half frigging hours, including the 6 miles of pavement to & fro mi casa. avg speed 6.3 mph. Christ, i'm slow...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #20976
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I'm feeling pretty damn proud of my self today, I did the entire* 24 mile mountian bike loop at mohician today for the first time. It has only been about a month since i was able to even do the first mile without stopping, thus far the most trail i did in a day was 16 mi.

I really feel like I have gotten over a big hump. The first 11 I only stopped at the end of sections for a little break & was feeling pretty good, miles 12 -13 are nothing but uphill, i had to rest a bunch there, by 14 I decided I was done & would take the blacktop home after mile 19. As luck would have it I came across a guy who had a flat & was having trouble with his pump about mile 16. It took us a bit to figure that he needed to flip the head on his pump aroung to fit the prestas. Duh.

16-19 are nice twisty, rolling bliss & the flat guy stopped to let me by, i was feeling better, so I pushed on throught ther rest of the trail. 20-24 has a bunch of hard rooty/rocky uphills that I just couldn't clear. I hate pushing my bike. OTHO I managed to not drop the bike all day.
* minus about a quarter mile of up hill i skip because of the way i come from my house. it took me 4 and a half frigging hours, including the 6 miles of pavement to & fro mi casa. avg speed 6.3 mph. Christ, i'm slow...
Small steps bud, small steps. That's a huge change to your body's fitness level and it takes a bit of patience and time to adjust. Keep it up and the speed/distance will just fall into place. Nicely done!
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #20977
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,426
Quote:

keep it up man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #20978
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Nice!
24 miles of dirt would leave me twitching in the dirt right now.

Quote:

Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #20979
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Heating up in PHX

It's fun to post the temps here in Phoenix during the winter months when the rest of the US is in the deep freeze.

Summers can be a little brutal and today is no exception - we'll likely hit 115F/46C. As such, the only option is to get in a quick ride before work. My wife was "kind" enough to wake me up at 0425 and I was on the road at 0440 for a quick 16 mile ride.

I was pleased - for the first time this year, my average speed exceeded 17 mph. I know that's slow for some of y'all but it's nice to see my speeds coming up. I am well north of 50 if you need a data point.

When I first got the recumbent, it was a real shock - it requires difference leg muscles and those are taking me a little time to develop. I've made extensive changes - really, it's a new bike at this point in time having swapped out the frame (steel to aluminum), new wheels (dyno front hub), new seat (not nearly as wide as the last seat) and I added LED lights front and rear. I also changed the steering to a "stiff setup" instead of a one that pivots and added a carbon front fork. The goal was to build a decent brevet bike. That high-mounted rear LED light is pretty bright and I find that when riding in the dark, drivers give me more room that in the day.

Old recumbent:

New recumbent:

Those are 700 x 32 tires for the Ragbrai trip in a few weeks and when I return, I'll likely drop to a 25 or 28.

My average weekend ride is 100-km - again it's an early start and I make every attempt to get off the road before the heat exceeds 90. From last weekend:

I cut a mean profile in the rising sun and the route is planned so I'm not lost in the rising sun for drivers. There's also not a lot of traffic on this route which goes around South Mountain.

"Ride a bike, live longer. Ride a recumbent, love longer."
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #20980
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

First ride on the Airborne Ti: nice 'muted' ride over pavement imperfections similar to my Roubaix. Less stiff thru the BB tho. 'Springy' is about the best term I know to describe the ride. Similar to an old SL steel bike, but stiffer thru the BB.

I'd gotten it set up within a few mm the first time. Yay for being anal-retentive!

M
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #20981
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,722
I'm still taking baby steps. I've done five miles each day the last three days.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #20982
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I missed my ride Sunday, family stuff and then I put new TKC80's on the Adventure preparing for my vacation that begins in a little of a weeks time.

But, who's counting?

Then yesterday the dentist attempted to replace the temp crown with the real deal sans numbing/

Scenes from "Little shop of Horrors" danced through my mind along with white jolts of paint!

A half hour of blissful sleep induced by the needle and that numbing goodness, they began wrenching and banging away with such force you'd have thought there was an H-D emblem on my head.

At least I never overhead the doc call for the bigger hammer.

So yesterday afternoons planned ride was out. I laid on the couch where anything getting close to the left side of my jaw/head made it hurt, and everything I tried to eat or drink tasted like blood and anesthetic. Not so yummy.

Today I'm better. very, very sore, but figure to get some riding in.

I'm at the point where I can ride for an hour or two if everything is right at my maximum. My maximum works out to about a 15 mph average over two hours of riding, but oddly works out to about the same over an hour.
I seem to be able to hold a little back on the out-leg and use it up on the in-leg of the ride. I look at this as both an advantage and pitfall to riding the same training route over and over.
When I'm a little stronger I'll be able to start hill training. There are a load of mile or more long hills around here.
The one I live on is almost two miles from the bottom to the top. In places it exceeds a 17% grade. I am certain I can't do that yet and not have my chest explode.
For a perspective if that grade, "The Wall" of Morgul-Bismark fame, (OK, local fame race loop outside Boulder Colorado), was described as "...unreasonably steep..." at 8%.

Top of the wall looking northwest;

I have not been able to ride the lower, shallower half of my hill for about four years without stopping. Last time I rode the lower half non-stop I was riding the Pinarello, with a 42x23 as my climbing gear.
I want to try it again with the Roubaix once I get some more of my mojo working.
Climbing is a big booster for me since this used to be what I did. I could pretty much climb away from anybody this side of a Cat 1-2-pro. But,that was several bags of corn ships ago as the crow flies or something.
Now my goal is to get to where I can ride all day, and not feel dead at the end of the day. That would be a long term goal.
Short term would be not being winded at the top of the stairs.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #20983
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
I'm feeling pretty damn proud of my self today, I did the entire* 24 mile mountian bike loop at mohician today for the first time.

Great job Tim. You may want to get a hold of Oh-Tard here on Adv. They are a great group of guys who ride down there on occasion and as fast as you are progressing, You'd enjoy the company, especially if you like shooting guns and ride Moto and I already know you ride the MOto

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #20984
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Top of the wall looking northwest;
Keep at it. It'll come. The legs know...

Re: the pic: look that way today and where there were fields, there's now houses. To the immediate left in the frame is still grasslands/park, but to the right is offices and houses.

M
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #20985
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,065
24 miles off road is an acomplishment somecallmetim !

Thanks for the blast from the past - haven't been to Mohican since senior skip day '82

nice long weekend coming , been plenty of rain this week, trails should be excellent

be safe and enjoy the 4th fellow pedalers
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: