User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #196
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
I'm still using old Look pedals on the Colnago and SPD's on the mtn and hybrid bikes. I've nearly busted my ass so many times on the Look cleats coming to a stop (my foot sliding out from under me on the asphalt) that I've considered going to SPD's on the road. A friend of mine swears by their Frog pedals.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #197
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry

I have SPD shoes and peds but everyone tells me there obsolete compared to the new LOOK's systems, and CRANK BROS. set up.....???

?
You might also check speedplay

I like them especially for riding in the city as there is very little effort required to unclip at each red light.

I used Shimano until I participated in a clinic at the OTC in Colo Springs with the coach of the USA Track team. He said after he got all his riders on speedplay, he had far fewer knee problems.

FWIW,

Flaco
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #198
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
You might also check speedplay

I like them especially for riding in the city as there is very little effort required to unclip at each red light.

I used Shimano until I participated in a clinic at the OTC in Colo Springs with the coach of the USA Track team. He said after he got all his riders on speedplay, he had far fewer knee problems.

FWIW,

Flaco
i rode Speedplay for years on the road. Then I got some double strap pedals for the track and was completely locked down. The difference between loosey goosey on the road and locked down on the track was too much. Sold the Speedplays and went to SPD-Rs. Sold the SPD-Rs and went to SPD-SLs. Like them lots. Very similar to my Look pedals, just lighter. (rode Look for AGES! before going to Speedplay)

The new Speedplay pedals are great 'cause you can adjust float. If I'd known that when I was looking for pedals, I'da gotten more Speedplays.

If yer running around in baggies, ride in mtn shoes. Once you decide that the spandex look is all right, go with the road stuff. Right after that, people usually end up shaving their legs...

I've got a pair of Magnums (Speedplay's first gen mtn pedals) still in my possession. Good stuff. Fewer moving parts = good.

Got a line on an Oval Concepts seatpost... We'll see what happens.

HTH,

M
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #199
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
My brother has been using Speedplays for the last couple of years because of his knees. He considers a 60 mile ride casual and does several centuries a year in a mountainous area. I'm using SPDs because (like Photog) I was sick of LOOK cleats sliding out from under me at stops. Mountain shoes on a road bike don't matter when you weigh 215 lbs either.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #200
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
My brother has been using Speedplays for the last couple of years because of his knees. He considers a 60 mile ride casual and does several centuries a year in a mountainous area. I'm using SPDs because (like Photog) I was sick of LOOK cleats sliding out from under me at stops. Mountain shoes on a road bike don't matter when you weigh 215 lbs either.

Heard that.

Being too many cheeseburgers on the clydesdale side, I'm not a gram freak nor do I fret the aero stuff. I do tend to buy trinkets that are good looking just for the aesthetics. But the best performance improvement I could buy would be a personal trainer to slap the junk food out of my hand.

I think I'll move to spd-R's if I'm back on the road a lot...for now I'm just using the same SPD pedal that I have on my mtn bikes mostly because I finally got a pair of shoes that fit so well I prefer 'em over everything else I've got.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #201
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I think I'll move to spd-R's if I'm back on the road a lot...for now I'm just using the same SPD pedal that I have on my mtn bikes mostly because I finally got a pair of shoes that fit so well I prefer 'em over everything else I've got.
SPD-Rs suck donkey balls. Ugh. About the worst pedal I ever rode.

SPD-SLs rawk.

I've got Time ATACs on my mtn and cross bikes. They're OK. Similar but different to the Crank Bros pedals. Recommended.

Photog: all you need is to get back on some kind of workout schedule. Yer body'll figger the rest out... DAMHIK how long it takes to get this shit back off once it goes on!

M
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #202
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
But the best performance improvement I could buy would be a personal trainer to slap the junk food out of my hand.

I hope SWMBO doesn't read that.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #203
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!

SPD-SLs rawk.

I've got Time ATACs on my mtn and cross bikes. They're OK. Similar but different to the Crank Bros pedals. Recommended.

Photog: all you need is to get back on some kind of workout schedule. Yer body'll figger the rest out... DAMHIK how long it takes to get this shit back off once it goes on!

M
So how do I know what SPD's I have (that sounds funny )?

I know they're around 6 yrs old, work on a pair of shimanos and bontragers, both mountain pedals. Just 2 screws, small cleat too.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #204
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:

SPD-SLs rawk.

M

Yeah, I went through this once before. Had quite the hardbody going after about a year--or at least had the good legs. Phucke. I tend to respond well to training...which means I also respond quickly to slacking off.

I'm gonna do a lap on the mtn bike (we're talking small round-the-cul-de-sac stuff...this stuff is measured in yards right now) tonight when it cools a bit. I seem to be able to pedal okay (like Landis...well, not exactly like Landis) but if I can just get a decent spin going again I think I can work my way back to a rehab schedule.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #205
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

PS - raise your hands if you've ever tried to click in to your Look pedals...while you still have the cleat covers on.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #206
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:

SPD-SLs rawk.

I've got Time ATACs on my mtn and cross bikes. They're OK.

What is the difference between Rs and SLs?

I ride with mountain spd and use the 324 pedal, which is half spd and half regular pedal. It is my touring/local bike, so the pedals work well if I need to go somewhere quickly and don't feel like gearing up or on tour you could use some different footwear easily. They are heavy, but useful, definitely not for everyone.

patch29 screwed with this post 07-19-2006 at 12:55 PM
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #207
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Yeah, I went through this once before. Had quite the hardbody going after about a year--or at least had the good legs. Phucke. I tend to respond well to training...which means I also respond quickly to slacking off.

I'm gonna do a lap on the mtn bike (we're talking small round-the-cul-de-sac stuff...this stuff is measured in yards right now) tonight when it cools a bit. I seem to be able to pedal okay (like Landis...well, not exactly like Landis) but if I can just get a decent spin going again I think I can work my way back to a rehab schedule.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Doodette! I'm ALL FOR getting yer ass back on a bicycle! Makes the healing SO much better when the brain's happy with the way the body looks...

LA did yards on his first rides and look what he ended up doing! Go Girl!

I too respond VERY well to slacking off. The 30+ pounds around my middle attest to that! I'm holding where I am, but taking it back's been tough! I didn't get to ride in today 'cause I need to be at the other office this afternoon to help out a buddy. I NEED that ride fix!!!

@Perry: they'll tell you. Somewhere on em is the PD-XXX (9X9, 737, 525, etc) code. Basically all mtn (2-bolt) SPDs work with the all the cleats. Yes, they do wear out. If yer gonna ride much, may as well go get some new ones.

@ Photog: never had cleat covers, so I won't participate in yer . I'll laugh at you for doing it tho

HTH,

M
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #208
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Photog, have you considered a stationary trainer?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #209
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
What is the difference between Rs and SLs?

I ride with mountain spd and use the 324 pedal, which is half spd and half regular pedal. It is my touring/local bike, so the pedals work well if I need to go somewhere quickly and don't feel like gearing up or on tour you could use some different footwear easily. They are heavy, but useful, definitely not for everyone.

I have a pair of ATAC pedals for sale that I don't use if anybody wants them. They came with a bike I bought used. PM me if you are interested.
Too bad I didn't know about these before the Sandy Eggo swap meet! Needed em then, but don't now.

I'll keep an ear out tho.

SPD-R:

SPD-SL:

Look:

HTH,

M
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #210
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
I have a pair of ATAC pedals for sale that I don't use if anybody wants them. They came with a bike I bought used. PM me if you are interested.
PM sent

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: