Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #21001
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
29r = 700c but a 700c is sometimes called a 28" (tubular) yet it is smaller than a 27" which would mean 29 < 27

If you think that is bad, try putting a 20 x 1.75 tire on a 20 x 1-3/8" rim. I think the same works with the 26" narrow tires also but probably wrong
If anyone walks into the shop with a tire size that ends in 3/8" I refuse to work on it. Sorry but the risk of failure is too great. No hook bead and the possibility of it being another size that I don't know about. I choose to devote my knowledge to modern technology.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #21002
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
If anyone walks into the shop with a tire size that ends in 3/8" I refuse to work on it. Sorry but the risk of failure is too great. No hook bead and the possibility of it being another size that I don't know about. I choose to devote my knowledge to modern technology.
You must not do anything with old 27" wheeled bikes either, huh? Same technology.

Rode for an easy hour yesterday AM then played UW Hockey at 3/4 speed last nite.

WhyTF am I awake before 0600 when I went to bed at 2345?!

M
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #21003
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You must not do anything with old 27" wheeled bikes either, huh? Same technology.

Rode for an easy hour yesterday AM then played UW Hockey at 3/4 speed last nite.

WhyTF am I awake before 0600 when I went to bed at 2345?!

M
Yes and no, there are quite a few 27" wheel bikes that have hook beads. Plus there is only one 27" diameter, unlike the 3 or 4 different 26x 1 3/8 diameters. We have the benefit of having another bike shop near by that specializes in old bikes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #21004
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Yes and no, there are quite a few 27" wheel bikes that have hook beads. Plus there is only one 27" diameter, unlike the 3 or 4 different 26x 1 3/8 diameters. We have the benefit of having another bike shop near by that specializes in old bikes.
I was about to type that I woulda killed to not hafta work on the old stuff, the owners of said old stuff were the most grateful that we got their bikes working. Guys with D/A and Red riding Pinarellos were usually jerks. Go figger

1:21 this AM. Easy-ish cruise. Found myself riding 'tempo' some tho. Gonna bite me tomorrow...

M
Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #21005
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,701
Gotta watch those asshats with them Pinarello's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I was about to type that I woulda killed to not hafta work on the old stuff, the owners of said old stuff were the most grateful that we got their bikes working. Guys with D/A and Red riding Pinarellos were usually jerks. Go figger

1:21 this AM. Easy-ish cruise. Found myself riding 'tempo' some tho. Gonna bite me tomorrow...

M
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #21006
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Hi cyclists,
I'm looking for some advice on a new bike.I currently ride a 15yr. old Schwinn Frontier.I bought it new and used it regularly the first couple years(.Nothing wrong with my bike I keep it maintained and it works for what I do now but I got the hots to upgrade) Then it sat for a while and about 2yrs. ago I started riding it again.I put steet tires on it.I ride 2-3 times a week 12-15 miles at a time maybe a 20-30 mile ride 2 times a month.I'm 61 retired and 6"1" 210 (lost 25 reecently do to biking and diet).I'm looking increase my road riding and up the milage but I also want to still ride the gravel rail trails and drop off of curbs now and then when riding in town.The bike I'm looking at is the Specialized Sirrus Sport.Any comments if this would work for the type of riding I want to do.Also I'd like to be able to haul some gear and do some overnighters on the C&O canal.Any suggestions apreciated.
Thanks Pat
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #21007
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My riding buddy built a Surely just for that type of riding. He has hauled tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and a Kermit chair 20 miles to a campsite twice this year. He regularly commutes using the surely and the train. And riding that thing he has ridden himself into enough shape I can't keep up with him when he is on the commute loaded Surely and I on my Training Roubaix.
Hence my recent re-commitment to working out.
He is running street tires on 26" mtb rims with a 3x10 spd set up I think. V-brakes,

Crappy image, I'll get another someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
Hi cyclists,
I'm looking for some advice on a new bike.I currently ride a 15yr. old Schwinn Frontier.I bought it new and used it regularly the first couple years(.Nothing wrong with my bike I keep it maintained and it works for what I do now but I got the hots to upgrade) Then it sat for a while and about 2yrs. ago I started riding it again.I put steet tires on it.I ride 2-3 times a week 12-15 miles at a time maybe a 20-30 mile ride 2 times a month.I'm 61 retired and 6"1" 210 (lost 25 reecently do to biking and diet).I'm looking increase my road riding and up the milage but I also want to still ride the gravel rail trails and drop off of curbs now and then when riding in town.The bike I'm looking at is the Specialized Sirrus Sport.Any comments if this would work for the type of riding I want to do.Also I'd like to be able to haul some gear and do some overnighters on the C&O canal.Any suggestions apreciated.
Thanks Pat
Smugmug
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #21008
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Hi cyclists,
Thanks Pat
Is the Sirrus sport the price range you a looking for ($550 or so)?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #21009
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Mr Head;16297475]My riding buddy built a Surely just for that type of riding. He has hauled tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and a Kermit chair 20 miles to a campsite twice this year. He regularly commutes using the surely and the train. And riding that thing he has ridden himself into enough shape I can't keep up with him when he is on the commute loaded Surely and I on my Training Roubaix.
He is running street tires on 26" mtb rims with a 3x10 spd set up I think. V-brakes,

Crappy image, I'll get another someday.[/QUOTE

Mr head
The surly looks nice but I think the price point is a little more than my budget.Also I think it is a heavy bike .I would only be hauling gear 1 or 2 times a year.I'm a minimilist and think I can get away with 20-25 pounds for overnighters.If i was doing long extended touring I definatley wolud consider it.
Thanks Pat
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #21010
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Is the Sirrus sport the price range you a looking for ($550 or so)?

Mud,
Yeah around $550-650 is what I'm thinking.I want something that isn't junk but I don't need the high end stuff either.The next sirrus up the Elite I think has carbon fork and upgraded shifters for $720 .I'd have to be convinced I needed that to spring.Is it just marketing??Any other brands to consider my dealer who seems to be willing to work with me to find the right bike handles Giant,Cannondale,Specialized among others.
Thanks Pat
Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #21011
inglysh
Completely Custom

Oddometer: 126
spokes? bueller, bueller?

I need some help sourcing (2) 305 mm straight pull, double-butted spokes. I have called every shop in the tri-county area and have come up empty handed. no one is willing to bring in the box either since they are so obscure and they wouldn't be able to sell them. I've checked a bunch of websites, (cambria, chain reaction, colorado cyclist, performance, jenson) and the best deal I can come up with is $10 a copy. Not to willing to throw down $20 for two spokes. Any suggestions? (FYI dealer cost on a box of 60 is roughly $57 bucks + s/h, so I am thinking they should retail for about $3-$4 ea + shipping means I am trying to get them for under $10. They are for a Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheelset... anyone?

Problem solved.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
1982 Yamaha Maxim 400

inglysh screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 01:19 PM
inglysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #21012
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Mud,
Yeah around $550-650 is what I'm thinking.I want something that isn't junk but I don't need the high end stuff either.The next sirrus up the Elite I think has carbon fork and upgraded shifters for $720 .I'd have to be convinced I needed that to spring.Is it just marketing??Any other brands to consider my dealer who seems to be willing to work with me to find the right bike handles Giant,Cannondale,Specialized among others.
Thanks Pat
The only others I can think of would be Raleigh and REI. They may give you a couple more options that will be a little different than the big guys.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #21013
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Mud,
Thanks Pat
Try bikesdirect.com - they don't have the brand name like Specialized but if you can get past that the specs on the bikes are very good.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #21014
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

OK, I missed the price point thing. I sort of ignore prices. The accounting department doesn't and they tend to trump things in my world.

I think Paul dropped about your price point on the new wheels he had built.
He had a lot of parts laying around and got a deal on the frame I seem to recall.
So, it wasn't a huge hit.
The bike really doesn't feel that heavy riding it or pushing it around, but then I mostly ride a big Adventure so most things feel light.

Have you thought about used? Craigslist is where he found an Allez that worked until he bought the Roubaix.
Which coupled with the train and train-battering a bike takes lead to the Surely.

[QUOTE=patsymack;16298455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My riding buddy built a Surely just for that type of riding. He has hauled tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and a Kermit chair 20 miles to a campsite twice this year. He regularly commutes using the surely and the train. And riding that thing he has ridden himself into enough shape I can't keep up with him when he is on the commute loaded Surely and I on my Training Roubaix.

Crappy image, I'll get another someday.[/QUOTE

Mr head
The surly looks nice but I think the price point is a little more than my budget.Also I think it is a heavy bike .I would only be hauling gear 1 or 2 times a year.I'm a minimilist and think I can get away with 20-25 pounds for overnighters.If i was doing long extended touring I definatley wolud consider it.
Thanks Pat
Smugmug
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #21015
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote by Mr Head."The bike really doesn't feel that heavy riding it or pushing it around, but then I mostly ride a big Adventure so most things feel light. " Until....ya load it down like this. Heavy but stable. I also comute on it, 45 mi round trip. it's gonna hold up to heavy riding on streets( bad roads) gravel and MUT's like the C&O canal. With out a lot of flats ,broken spokes, etc.

Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 10:35 PM
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: