Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #21001
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
I need some fender feedback.

I have SKS on my 'cross. Their black is actually dark brown with black stripes. That'll look like crap on my GF's red/wht/blk 'cross, so I'm looking at alternatives. I like the "sportier" looking flap of the Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid and Axiom Roadrunner. And, they're black.

In looking at the Axiom brand, specifically the Rainrunner and Roadrunner. I don't understand the price difference. It looks like the flap is the only difference. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking I'll just order the Axiom Roadrunner model direct, as QBP doesn't offer them.

Any general fender thoughts (brands, models, etc)?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #21002
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
It might still make a damn nice bike, but mostly a pavement only affair.
That's probably enough to talk me off the ledge...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #21003
taehome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

I have SKS on my 'cross. Their black is actually dark brown with black stripes. That'll look like crap on my GF's red/wht/blk 'cross, so I'm looking at alternatives. I like the "sportier" looking flap of the Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid and Axiom Roadrunner. And, they're black.

In looking at the Axiom brand, specifically the Rainrunner and Roadrunner. I don't understand the price difference. It looks like the flap is the only difference. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking I'll just order the Axiom Roadrunner model direct, as QBP doesn't offer them.

If your getting them through QBP look at there Civia fenders. The Wirths or Isles. Nice coverage and a couple of reflective dots on the back of them. If your looking for the most coverage check out Planet Bike Cascadias. I have a pair of the Cascadias on my Waterford and they provide the most amount of coverage with out going to aluminum fenders like Honjos.
taehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #21004
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
A story I've been meaning to post about fenders....

About a month ago, I did a tour with two other guys. While driving to our departure point to meet the 3rd guy- me and the other were discussing equipment and bike setup.

Fenders inevitably came up. The other guy had read in various sources about the danger of something becoming lodged under the fender causing the wheel to wedge solid in turn causing a crash.

"HAHA!", we thought.

"Who would possibly forgo the awesomeness of fenders for such a seemingly minimal risk?"

This, kids- is what we call foreshadowing.

So, a fair amount of our tour was on rail-trail conversions. They rocked, the long flat nature of them and the hard packed limestone surfaces let us really crank up the touring freight train peloton. Speeds in excess of 15mph were achieved! (Fuck you, that's fast on a loaded touring bike! )

Anyway, we're cranking along like this- just flying when all of a sudden there's a sickening thud at the back of the pack.

The aftermath:

Don't know exactly what caused it, but the fender actually got sucked through the fork, around the wheel. The sudden stop was enough to bend the fork and send the rider over the bars.

Injuries were minor, and the bike was functional enough to finish the tour. And thank whatever deity saw fit to have him in the back of the pack just then.

Suffice to say, I'll think long and hard about running fenders on anything but pavement.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #21005
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

looks like the rainrunner has more coverage . Also mentions the rainrunner can be mounted with disks and without eyelets.

I have the cascadias from planet bike on a fargo and a set of honjos on a trek 520. Both work great. Maybe take a look at velo oranges offerings as well.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #21006
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
A story I've been meaning to post about fenders....

About a month ago, I did a tour with two other guys. While driving to our departure point to meet the 3rd guy- me and the other were discussing equipment and bike setup.

Fenders inevitably came up. The other guy had read in various sources about the danger of something becoming lodged under the fender causing the wheel to wedge solid in turn causing a crash.

"HAHA!", we thought.

"Who would possibly forgo the awesomeness of fenders for such a seemingly minimal risk?"

This, kids- is what we call foreshadowing.

So, a fair amount of our tour was on rail-trail conversions. They rocked, the long flat nature of them and the hard packed limestone surfaces let us really crank up the touring freight train peloton. Speeds in excess of 15mph were achieved! (Fuck you, that's fast on a loaded touring bike! )

Anyway, we're cranking along like this- just flying when all of a sudden there's a sickening thud at the back of the pack.

The aftermath:

Don't know exactly what caused it, but the fender actually got sucked through the fork, around the wheel. The sudden stop was enough to bend the fork and send the rider over the bars.

Injuries were minor, and the bike was functional enough to finish the tour. And thank whatever deity saw fit to have him in the back of the pack just then.

Suffice to say, I'll think long and hard about running fenders on anything but pavement.
Most ,if not all, SKS fenders have a little plastic quick release that will make the fender disengage if this happens. I have seen people by pass this little device because they did not know what it was for. I have never seen a documented case of this happening, only heard about it. That is scary.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #21007
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
I'll be racing in Franklin, VA this weekend. Gummee, you going to be in the area?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #21008
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by taehome View Post
If your getting them through QBP look at there Civia fenders. The Wirths or Isles. Nice coverage and a couple of reflective dots on the back of them. If your looking for the most coverage check out Planet Bike Cascadias. I have a pair of the Cascadias on my Waterford and they provide the most amount of coverage with out going to aluminum fenders like Honjos.
I looked at them, but, I've not seen any mention of safety releases with them. That's crucial, since we ride a lot of gravel and dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
looks like the rainrunner has more coverage . Also mentions the rainrunner can be mounted with disks and without eyelets.

I have the cascadias from planet bike on a fargo and a set of honjos on a trek 520. Both work great. Maybe take a look at velo oranges offerings as well.
I think I'm going PB. The Axiom brand is Canadian and they have no retail options for the states. QBP doesn't stock what I want.

VO only has metal offerings. Also, I tried ordering from them, about a month ago, and their shopping cart didn't work, they never answered their phone (5 attempts), and they never responded to my e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Most ,if not all, SKS fenders have a little plastic quick release that will make the fender disengage if this happens. I have seen people by pass this little device because they did not know what it was for. I have never seen a documented case of this happening, only heard about it. That is scary.
I definitely run mine.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #21009
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Hmmm. I think I'll take the fenders off the Vaya before D2R2 next month.

Maybe I'll just take them off now, and stop pretending to be anything other than the fair-weather rider I am.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #21010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I'll be racing in Franklin, VA this weekend. Gummee, you going to be in the area?
WhereTF is Franklin? Not a freaking chance, man. I'm way up in the north by DC

Edited to add: if it were cooler (and I had a running MC) I'd ride down.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 03:27 PM
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #21011
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Just pulled the trigger on a Kona MajorOne SS CX bike from Bonktown. The price was too good to pass up for $550.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #21012
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on a Kona MajorOne SS CX bike from Bonktown. The price was too good to pass up for $550.
good job, i was also looking at that, but they dont have my size....
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #21013
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
good job, i was also looking at that, but they dont have my size....
They had 56 and 60 left. From the specs on the site, the 56 looks like it will fit, but maybe on the big side for me. I figure if it's too large, I can easily make my money back with cross season coming up here soon.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #21014
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
They had 56 and 60 left. From the specs on the site, the 56 looks like it will fit, but maybe on the big side for me. I figure if it's too large, I can easily make my money back with cross season coming up here soon.
I briefly considered it but 56 was a ways away from fitting.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #21015
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:

You will be very happy with your purchase. Guy I know rode one last year and loved it. Sweet looking bike as well.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: