had my first endo on it Sunday - wohoo I'm still alive and barely scraped up
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #21047
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
What I ask of you guys is some suggestions for a good platform on which to build up a SS cross rig. Is it better to go with an old lugged steel frame road bike with 27" wheels, or vintage MTB?
The local CX club rides whatever they've got, provided it's a road/CX style frame. I showed up with my Giant Anthem and was told "Just this once.". Didn't matter, as I wasn't going to be competitive or anything. I just wanted to try out the course. I decided it wasn't for me.

The Tricross that "tR" posted is certainly viable. I don't think anyone in the aforementioned club rides one, as they're too heavy. However, I like my Tricross Comp for the gravel/dirt roads. Of course, again, I'm not competitive anyway.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #21048
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

had my first endo on it Sunday - wohoo I'm still alive and barely scraped up
WOW that's green! Nice rig though, you should bring it up this way sometime to get a good workout for all that squish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The local CX club rides whatever they've got, provided it's a road/CX style frame. I showed up with my Giant Anthem and was told "Just this once.". Didn't matter, as I wasn't going to be competitive or anything. I just wanted to try out the course. I decided it wasn't for me.

The Tricross that "tR" posted is certainly viable. I don't think anyone in the aforementioned club rides one, as they're too heavy. However, I like my Tricross Comp for the gravel/dirt roads. Of course, again, I'm not competitive anyway.
I have watched one local CX race and most bikes seemed to be old steel road bikes converted. Now that USAC is allowing disc brakes, I think the scene will change a bit more.

This is about 5 hours from me, but maybe worth the drive for the price.
http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/2454888283.html
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #21049
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Linky

I've owned a Fetish before. Nicer riding bike than the specs suggest.

FWI've seen, cross bikes are usually mishmash bikes. Leftovers, extra parts from old bikes, etc all get tossed onto the cross frame and awaaaaaay you go!

M
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #21050
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,180
tire clearance and light weight are your friends . I rode my first two cx races last year . I all ready had a Lemond Poprad as I was planning to try it for a couple years. In hindsite I would rather have a single speed for the simplicity. I broke both of my 105sti brifters practicing last year $$ . If you find you like it the All City Nature Boy looks to be a good deal.

Quote:
Cyclocross DIY project.

So, I'm entertaining the thought of dabbling in CX to keep my legs in some semblance of shape for the fast approaching off-season. I do not, however, wish to pay through the nose for a dedicated cross rig just yet. At least let me try it for a few races to see if it's as addicting as all my race peers keep telling me it is.

What I ask of you guys is some suggestions for a good platform on which to build up a SS cross rig. Is it better to go with an old lugged steel frame road bike with 27" wheels, or vintage MTB?
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #21051
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
This is about 5 hours from me, but maybe worth the drive for the price.
http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/2454888283.html
If you decide to grab it, make sure rock the "extras", as they're like a $100 value.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #21052
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
If you decide to grab it, make sure rock the "extras", as they're like a $100 value.
Heck, if I resell them, I would only be into the bike for $50!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #21053
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Got that call no one wants yesterday. Mom & Dad were up doing their annual bike club ride 4th of July wknd in Vermont.

Their 2nd day; Dad was riding ahead of his club on a descent 10 deg. No one was with him- but when they came upon him he was lying on the side of the road unconscious bleeding profusely from the head, he was wearing his helmet. He had done this ride 20 times.

Accidental deaths are freaky.

Crap. Sorry to hear this. Our hearts go out to you and your family.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #21054
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Heck, if I resell them, I would only be into the bike for $50!
Unless you need a hybrid, don't bother. Cross and hybrids is like oil and water.

If you don't have barends on your mtn bike, you can get away with one for the first try. I know I did. Locked the fork out on my F2000 and went at it. No one batted an eye. I DID get lapped 3x and was on the way to getting lapped a 4th time when the winner crossed the line right behind me.

So what I'm saying is that cross bikes are cross bikes for a reason.

IME tubulars are the way to go, so break out them old D/A wheels and go at it! Tufo T-series (I've run T28s and T34s) are bulletproof tires that last for a very long time. Not the lightest. Not the best rolling. Just effing tough. I've mtn biked on a pair for a few years, racing em in the middle. GL and GEL rims aren't quite strong enough, but Mach2CD2s are OK. IDK about GP4s.

For the first cross bike, don't go expensive. After all, its not for everyone. Seeing crosseyed from pain and still getting lapped sucks.

If you do decide to race cross, see if you can't find a mid-week practice session. Getting on and off the bike quickly and smoothly is one of the best ways to avoid some of the pain and crosseyedness.

M
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #21055
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 869
Speaking of cyclocross, I'm looking at building up a Soma Double Cross. I like the multifunctional nature (can't afford dedicated road and cross bikes). It appears well-suited to the kind of riding I do; dirt paths, fire roads, some singletrack, then swap out the wheels and make like a roadie. The reviews are positive, just wondering if anyone on the Esteemed Panel has any experience with it. It looks like I'll be doing the build in super slo-mo, buying components as I can afford them, upgrading my existing cross bike, then swapping them all over to the new frame once I have all the fixins.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #21056
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Unless you need a hybrid, don't bother. Cross and hybrids is like oil and water.

If you don't have barends on your mtn bike, you can get away with one for the first try. I know I did. Locked the fork out on my F2000 and went at it. No one batted an eye. I DID get lapped 3x and was on the way to getting lapped a 4th time when the winner crossed the line right behind me.

So what I'm saying is that cross bikes are cross bikes for a reason.

IME tubulars are the way to go, so break out them old D/A wheels and go at it! Tufo T-series (I've run T28s and T34s) are bulletproof tires that last for a very long time. Not the lightest. Not the best rolling. Just effing tough. I've mtn biked on a pair for a few years, racing em in the middle. GL and GEL rims aren't quite strong enough, but Mach2CD2s are OK. IDK about GP4s.

For the first cross bike, don't go expensive. After all, its not for everyone. Seeing crosseyed from pain and still getting lapped sucks.

If you do decide to race cross, see if you can't find a mid-week practice session. Getting on and off the bike quickly and smoothly is one of the best ways to avoid some of the pain and crosseyedness.

M
I plan on attempting it somehow... just sitting here toodling around in square one trying to decide which direction I want to start. The only MTB I have is my Soma Juice SS 29'er and it has the bent/sloped top tube so that's out for hucking up on my shoulder, or trying to clear obstacles in a hurry.

Bonktown had the Kona Major One for $550 earlier today... but of course they only had two sizes of XL and behemoth.

Quote:
Speaking of cyclocross, I'm looking at building up a Soma Double Cross. I like the multifunctional nature (can't afford dedicated road and cross bikes). It appears well-suited to the kind of riding I do; dirt paths, fire roads, some singletrack, then swap out the wheels and make like a roadie. The reviews are positive, just wondering if anyone on the Esteemed Panel has any experience with it. It looks like I'll be doing the build in super slo-mo, buying components as I can afford them, upgrading my existing cross bike, then swapping them all over to the new frame once I have all the fixins.
Love Soma's frames and my Juice is one of my prized possessions. If I were to spend the coin on a cross bike, it would be built with the Double cross DC as the foundation. The disc mounts would be well worth it IMHO, as you can get road wheels with disc hubs now as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #21057
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Speaking of cyclocross, I'm looking at building up a Soma Double Cross. I like the multifunctional nature (can't afford dedicated road and cross bikes). It appears well-suited to the kind of riding I do; dirt paths, fire roads, some singletrack, then swap out the TIRES and make like a roadie. The reviews are positive, just wondering if anyone on the Esteemed Panel has any experience with it. It looks like I'll be doing the build in super slo-mo, buying components as I can afford them, upgrading my existing cross bike, then swapping them all over to the new frame once I have all the fixins.
fixt

I know my Crosshairs falls into the 'do almost everything OK' category. Its certainly not a race bike, tho its been raced. I've taken it mtn biking, dirt road riding, as well as fast road rides. (slow ones too!)

IMO get the thing built and then fix what you don't like. IOW ride it and see where the shortcomings are. I figured out that compact is fine on the road, but that 50t is too big for racing with my cassette so I switch to a 44/46t big ring to race. I've also figured out I need a new fork. The Ouzo Pro I have on there has always been flexy. Fork shudder sucks. I may limp it along with some mini-vs till I get the $$ raised to get a new Edge fork.

M
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #21058
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I plan on attempting it somehow... just sitting here toodling around in square one trying to decide which direction I want to start. The only MTB I have is my Soma Juice SS 29'er and it has the bent/sloped top tube so that's out for hucking up on my shoulder, or trying to clear obstacles in a hurry.
I've carried on the underside of the saddle before. My frames are 16/17" mtn frames and they get REAL small inside the triangle.

Quote:
Bonktown had the Kona Major One for $550 earlier today... but of course they only had two sizes of XL and behemoth.
for 'ease of use' get something you can run gears on.

Quote:
Love Soma's frames and my Juice is one of my prized possessions. If I were to spend the coin on a cross bike, it would be built with the Double cross DC as the foundation. The disc mounts would be well worth it IMHO, as you can get road wheels with disc hubs now as well.
I'm not sold on discs for racing. For everything else, they're probably fantastic things. I know on the mtn bike they were the shiznit, but that's in the mud, nasties, wet, etc. and not on the nice, clean, smooth road. Gravel roads like Askel is riding may be a different story.

M
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #21059
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
I've carried on the underside of the saddle before. My frames are 16/17" mtn frames and they get REAL small inside the triangle.
Had not really considered that. May have to try it out on my local trails. It's about 23 pounds though, so I may need to start doing some push-ups...

Quote:
for 'ease of use' get something you can run gears on.
Gears are over-rated. Especially for the CX courses around here.

Quote:
I'm not sold on discs for racing. For everything else, they're probably fantastic things. I know on the mtn bike they were the shiznit, but that's in the mud, nasties, wet, etc. and not on the nice, clean, smooth road. Gravel roads like Askel is riding may be a different story.

M
Discs, imho, are well worth it for CX from the few races I have watched. Getting in the slush/snow/mud around here in December and January is a nasty mix of red clay that's slicker-n-snot and renders many a rim-brake nearly useless. That's my experiences from the MTB side of things anyway. I just see the discs as staying much cleaner and drier to allow for better braking. Out-braking your opponents can be just as handy as outrunning them.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #21060
Holden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Newb Question

Bicycle newbie here.

Over the 6months I have been riding what I thought was a mountain bike through local parks and enjoying it (picked it up used from a flea market). Then I rode my friends hard tail Specialized Stumpjumer 29in. That thing ROCKED!

So I went to trade in my mountain bike only to be informed it wasn't a small mountain bike but rather a dirt jumper (its the Kona Shred)... Oooops... Regardless it served is purpose. Then I looked around the store and realized that these mountain bikes cost more than my dirt bike!

Any reccomendations on a budget friendly mountain bike? I dont need the fastest, greatest or lightest (anything will be lighter than what I have been riding). Just something reliable and am able to have fun with.

Also anybody want a Kona Shred to mess around on?
"Now I listen to my sweetheart and I listen to my thirst. I don't spend time listening to other peoples words. Sometimes they're right most times the reverse. They say the best is for the best when the best's for the worse" - Josh Ritter
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: