ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #21061
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
So the last time I went riding was June 4th, about a month before my Dad's death on a bicycle. Last week after the funeral I felt i had to get back out there.

So I went riding with his bike club yesterday, on an organized tour/ride. I was so out of shape after 5+ weeks of doing nothing but stressing.

But it turned out alright. Did 60 miles and never felt the bonk. I was worried about doing the 25, but felt great and decided to do the 55 route. I got lost at one point due to bad markings, and added 5 more miles.

Descents now are a bit worrisome, thinking about my father and worried how another loss to a downhill would really freak the fuck out of the family. I was nervous and had one oh shit moment on a fast gravelly drop, rear wheel skated and became ice. I promptly let go the brake and decided to steer out of it.

All and all, today I feel pretty damn good.
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #21062
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
So the last time I went riding was June 4th, about a month before my Dad's death on a bicycle. Last week after the funeral I felt i had to get back out there.

So I went riding with his bike club yesterday, on an organized tour/ride. I was so out of shape after 5+ weeks of doing nothing but stressing.

But it turned out alright. Did 60 miles and never felt the bonk. I was worried about doing the 25, but felt great and decided to do the 55 route. I got lost at one point due to bad markings, and added 5 more miles.

Descents now are a bit worrisome, thinking about my father and worried how another loss to a downhill would really freak the fuck out of the family. I was nervous and had one oh shit moment on a fast gravelly drop, rear wheel skated and became ice. I promptly let go the brake and decided to steer out of it.

All and all, today I feel pretty damn good.
glad to see you riding again

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #21063
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You can DIY some Assos clone chamois cream if you want. Eucerin, some tea tree oil, some triple antibiotic oinmtent and go ride. I can see what I can do about finding the exact ratios if someone's interested. FWI hear that tea tree oil is the tingle in the Assos.

AFA saddles: wider is not necessarily better and neither is narrower. Just like the 3 bears tale you need to find the one that's just right.

M
The first time I read this I thought it said DIY ass clown......
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #21064
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Where was this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
SE VA. Franklin to be specific

M
Yup... whut he sed.

I had a choice of racing flat roads in Franklin, or hill climbing in Asheville for the French Broad. I ain't no billy goat. Although the French Broad would have been much safer in hindsight...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #21065
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yup... whut he sed.

I had a choice of racing flat roads in Franklin, or hill climbing in Asheville for the French Broad. I ain't no billy goat. Although the French Broad would have been much safer in hindsight...
...and you wanted me to come join you?!

Gee thanks! I love you too mang! Next time poke me in the eye with a stick whydon'tcha?



Seriously. Glad you didn't go down. The rest are memories to be bench raced in the years to come. 'So no shit... there I was...


M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #21066
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
So the last time I went riding was June 4th, about a month before my Dad's death on a bicycle. Last week after the funeral I felt i had to get back out there.

So I went riding with his bike club yesterday, on an organized tour/ride. I was so out of shape after 5+ weeks of doing nothing but stressing.

But it turned out alright. Did 60 miles and never felt the bonk. I was worried about doing the 25, but felt great and decided to do the 55 route. I got lost at one point due to bad markings, and added 5 more miles.

Descents now are a bit worrisome, thinking about my father and worried how another loss to a downhill would really freak the fuck out of the family. I was nervous and had one oh shit moment on a fast gravelly drop, rear wheel skated and became ice. I promptly let go the brake and decided to steer out of it.

All and all, today I feel pretty damn good.
Good to hear you are back in the saddle Z, that can't have been an easy ride for you....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #21067
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and you wanted me to come join you?!

Gee thanks! I love you too mang! Next time poke me in the eye with a stick whydon'tcha?



Seriously. Glad you didn't go down. The rest are memories to be bench raced in the years to come. 'So no shit... there I was...


M
The races were organized horribly and ran even worse. First year for this particular race, so some hiccups were to be expected, but not to the level I experienced.

The crit was an 8 turn course with the first corner turning onto a one-lane road with high concrete curbing and a metal railing on top. Add a cobblestone crosswalk with a dip in the middle and you have the recipe for a disaster waiting to happen. The pack was going from 4 wide on Main street to singling up through the first turn and sweeping wide through turns 2 and 3. Multiple rolled tires and crashes in turn three since it starts a climb for one block, then turning onto the back straight. Crash on 2nd lap split the pack and I was stuck in no man's land for 3 or 4 laps. I could see the front pack but could not catch them. The rear pack could see me, but were not closing. I was redlining trying to maintain pace, so I sat up and folded in with the rear pack. Ended up 12th out of 25. Average HR was 173 and power was 272.

The road race was sketchy, brutal and piss-poor logistics from the start. 92 degrees at the 10 am start time and the officials were not going to allow a feed zone. I talked them into allowing it and they only conceded to doing it on the third lap. I then asked where the road opened up for the finish and he said we had open road for the entire race... no yellow line rule. some of the racers actually protested this, so the officials, right before race start, announced there would be a yellow line rule in effect on roads that actually HAD a yellow line. Only about 1/3 of the course had a yellow line for two lanes and the rest was paved farm roads with a huge crown and zero lines. 14 mile loop for a total 56 mile race. Lots of crashes in this one too from sand and gravel in the turns. Only by sheer luck did I stay upright and avoid some of the guys sliding out in front of me. I got into a couple of breaks and felt great going into the race. The pack was not letting any of the breaks get out of sight though until the last lap. Four guys got away with about 8 miles to go and they stayed away. I was in bad position to go with them or I would have jumped, as I felt strong and fresher than most of the group. At the 300 meter mark, as we were all beginning our sprint, a Jeep Commander pulled out of a driveway into our pack. All hell broke loose as guys weaved left and right to avoid the Jeep. The driver then pulled into the center of the lane and into a driveway on the left while we were all still sprinting to the line. I am simply astounded no one got plowed in those last few hundred meters... I placed 14th in a field sprint and felt robbed.

Should have easily placed top five or ten in both races, but such is life I guess.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #21068
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Should have easily placed top five or ten in both races, but such is life I guess.
...and this is the guy that just upgraded to a 3...

Animal!

Yer an animal I tell ya!



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #21069
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and this is the guy that just upgraded to a 3...

Animal!

Yer an animal I tell ya!



M
Yabbut, there's always a bigger, faster and meaner animal out there somewhere. Every food chain has it's hierarchy and I'm nowhere near the top yet... Gotta stay sharp so I can hopefully outrun him when I meet him.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #21070
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yabbut, there's always a bigger, faster and meaner animal out there somewhere. Every food chain has it's hierarchy and I'm nowhere near the top yet... Gotta stay sharp so I can hopefully outrun him when I meet him.

So... on a lighter note when are you leaving for RAGREI,or how ever it's spelled?
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #21071
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So... on a lighter note when are you leaving for RAGREI,or how ever it's spelled?
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa - RAGBRAI... I think.

Ridge - are you riding Ragbrai?

Bill the Duck and I are headed there on Thursday. The plan is the drive from PHX to Oklahoma City to have dinner with Snoid at midnight. Not sure if we'll continue to Davenport or lay up for the rest of the night. Bill the Duck's car is a Mini Cooper with the JCW package - we hope to make good time in it.

Once in Davenport on Friday, we'll meet our charter for the ride to the western side of the state on Saturday. Bill the Duck's on a black Bacchetta and mine is yellow-orangish one... also a Bacchetta recumbent.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #21072
kbasa
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 69,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Saddle demo programs:

This is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...T&BRAND.ID=118

More tri-specific.
http://www.trisports.com/tri-before-...e-program.html

Koobi has a 30 day refund/exchange program. Some MTBers swear by these saddles.
http://www.koobi.com/

Terry, also, has a 30 day program.
http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles
I demoed a saddle from TriSports. It was really helpful and I wound up buying the saddle.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #21073
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So... on a lighter note when are you leaving for RAGREI,or how ever it's spelled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa - RAGBRAI... I think.

Ridge - are you riding Ragbrai?

Bill the Duck and I are headed there on Thursday. The plan is the drive from PHX to Oklahoma City to have dinner with Snoid at midnight. Not sure if we'll continue to Davenport or lay up for the rest of the night. Bill the Duck's car is a Mini Cooper with the JCW package - we hope to make good time in it.

Once in Davenport on Friday, we'll meet our charter for the ride to the western side of the state on Saturday. Bill the Duck's on a black Bacchetta and mine is yellow-orangish one... also a Bacchetta recumbent.
No RAGBRAI this year. I wish we were going, but my grandmother's physical condition has been declining for the past year, so my wife and I are taking the time we would have spent in Iowa and flying out to TX instead. I've done RAGBRAI for the last two years and it is one of the funnest things you can do on a bicycle. 15,000 cyclists all trying to get to the same place and partying on the way. I'm a people watcher so it's hilarious to see all the costumes and shenanigans that go on through out the week.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #21074
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,823
My brother and his oldest daughter are riding RAGBRAI this year again. I was supposed to join them until my work schedule and other family stuff kicked in. I just couldn't manage three weeks away all at once. Maybe next year?

The bad news is I've been off my bicycle for nearly three weeks. But, I managed to lose another couple of pounds while on a motorcycle trip.
I ate well but not too stupid. Sampled the local micro-brews but, again not too stupid.

Did some hiking, fishing and riding the big adventure on 4wd roads. Loads of work that. Drained my 3 liter camelbak about twice a day. So, between that and the microbrews I stayed well hydrated.

Tonight I get back on the push bike.

From the travels,

__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #21075
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 227
I wanted to throw this out there for anybody interested...the Kansas Cycling State Track Championships are this weekend near Lawrence....on a grass velodrome no less....I watched a few velodrome races as a kid growing up just north of Chicago, so this should be interesting.

http://kscycling.org/wp-content/uplo...ampionship.pdf
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015