Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #21151
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
72 miles in 4:50-ish yesterday.

Every time I stood up yesterday afternoon, I could feel all those miles.

M

We did 43 yesterday, and 60 today... I know what you mean. I stood up a minute ago and almost tipped over!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #21152
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Before you start wasting big bucks, call around and see if any of the Local shops have a saddle demo program that lets you try several makes/models. That's what I did and for $50 I've been riding around on different saddles since May. The LBS will apply the $50 towards a new saddle if I buy from them, which I will. The search continues. Hopefully you can find a similar deal.
I haven't heard of anything like that around here, it does sound like a good deal. Too late for me, though. I dropped a wad on a Brooks B17 Special. I wasn't sure about it, but one of the shopworkers had one on his bike that was broken in and I was impressed with how supple the leather becomes. I didn't get to try it until yesterday because of rain the two previous days, but I went out for 25 miles and it seems pretty good so far. I had to fiddle with the angle a little bit and the leather is pretty slippery right now (which I didn't like) , but it felt ok. Hopefully it will just get better as it breaks in.

91* right now with a 77* dewpoint. yuck.

No riding today, might try to get out in the morning before it gets hot again.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #21153
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
An ass whoopin', Jefferson National Forest style.

The only bad thing you can say about Seven Sisters trail is that it is too short.

All seven sisters are rideable, but you'll probably push some of them.

A superfluous log stack. Nice touch.

The downside to the campground is like riding on poker chips. Clickety CLACK!

Greenbriar to the snotlocker. Ouch!

The Seven Sisters trail brings you right back to the campground. Layla read about the Big Bang and I did a lap of the Stony Fork Nature Trail and then took a huge nap.

The next morning we got up and hit it. The Scenic Highway climb is a butt kicker. It sure is scenic if you like to look at the inside of a cloud.

Big Walker Mountain is depicted on the wall map at Monticello.

The top. The Refugio Gran Walkerio was not open, but the proprietor asked us in. He was up to speed on trail conditions and where roads were blocked and open. How refreshing. He also regaled us with a tale of taking his new Rambler Matador over road 206 and down to Carnot with his wife in the passenger seat and a locomotive bell in the trunk.

We pushed up to the overlook. More clouds to look at.

Big Walker Trail is very technical and the dampness made the rocks really slippery. The fun parts were fun.

Layla is computing in the cloud.

It was tough going, and the dudes at the refugio said that it got sketchy and would be hard to punch through, so we decided on an out and back mission. That's truck driving when you explore.

I love sandwiches, especially on bike rides.

When we do work up the loop, it's gonna be epic.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #21154
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Madone 5.2 showing up in the mail today! Had a hard time sleeping last night...

Planning on getting a RETUL fitting. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on that?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #21155
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Nice looking trails Gaston Gagne !

25ish miles in just under 2 hours at Wilderness Trail Park. Heard alot of rustling in the woods , thought maybe a biker or trail runner heading our way. Nope was a half dozen to dozen wild boars roaming the woods . Sorry no pictures , didn't bring camera.
Some were rather large. The had rooted up the trail in a few spots , but it is their home.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #21156
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,669
brutal weekend of racing! Experienced possibly the WORST organized and officiated race I have ever participated in. Just to name a few things that stuck out from the weekend's races. One lane crit turns with brick crossings, concrete curbs with metal railing, popped and rolled tires, crashes, the mad scramble to find an elementary school that was not on the race flyer, no feed zone....

Then we had a feed zone, but only on the third lap, no yellow line rule, then changed to yellow line rule in effect on roads that actually HAD a yellow line, Jeep commanders pulling into the peloton as we started our sprint for the finish line.... then the Jeep driver freaking out and stopping mid pack, only to make a left turn while we were still in a sprint... AARGH!!!!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #21157
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
Planning on getting a RETUL fitting. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on that?
I'm all for it. There's nothing vague in its measurements. No fitter opinion. What your body is doing on the bike is what it's doing. I don't believe in set numbers for fit, but, this program offers exact tracking, so that one can look at fit.

I wear through the short and chamois on the right side. My feet don't pedal parallel. I've got something going on and it'll take a device like RETUL to track exactly what's going on. I have a location about 4hrs north of me, so it'll be a bit of commitment to get it done. But, I'm looking at a new bike, in the near future, and want to know exactly what's happening.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #21158
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
brutal weekend of racing! Experienced possibly the WORST organized and officiated race I have ever participated in.
I raced for about 10 years and this type of thing is what made me quit. Also cheep race promoters. I remember it was becoming a trend to give out fee entry to next years race for placing or winning.

Now I enjoy well organized group ride, riding just for the fun of it, stopping to smell the roses, etc...
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #21159
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm all for it. There's nothing vague in its measurements. No fitter opinion. What your body is doing on the bike is what it's doing. I don't believe in set numbers for fit, but, this program offers exact tracking, so that one can look at fit.

I wear through the short and chamois on the right side. My feet don't pedal parallel. I've got something going on and it'll take a device like RETUL to track exactly what's going on. I have a location about 4hrs north of me, so it'll be a bit of commitment to get it done. But, I'm looking at a new bike, in the near future, and want to know exactly what's happening.
Awesome, thanks! The wait is killing me
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #21160
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:

Leg length discrepancy is my first thought. Chiropractor should be able to tell you most of what you need to know. IOW are you just that far out of whack or are you biomechanically built funny.

The fitting will tell you specifics on how to fix your problems on the bike.

I have a small leg length discrepancy, so have split the middle position-wise. Seems to be a common answer when the problems aren't that big.

In your situation, it sounds like there's something significant going on. An exact measurement of your pedal stroke is probably going to be beneficial.

M
Old 07-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #21161
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
brutal weekend of racing! Experienced possibly the WORST organized and officiated race I have ever participated in. Just to name a few things that stuck out from the weekend's races. One lane crit turns with brick crossings, concrete curbs with metal railing, popped and rolled tires, crashes, the mad scramble to find an elementary school that was not on the race flyer, no feed zone....

Then we had a feed zone, but only on the third lap, no yellow line rule, then changed to yellow line rule in effect on roads that actually HAD a yellow line, Jeep commanders pulling into the peloton as we started our sprint for the finish line.... then the Jeep driver freaking out and stopping mid pack, only to make a left turn while we were still in a sprint... AARGH!!!!
We had something like that Jeep happen in a race outside Yuma a few years back. Full-tilt field sprint and next thing you know... CRASH! Add an amberlamps into the mix and bad things happen. Luckily I wasn't involved, but I didn't get my head round the sprint either.

Learned a few things that race: Orig Shamals suck on chip seal. They also suck trying to get em wound up for 'street sprints.'

Sorry you didn't have a good time. There's always the next one!

M
Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #21162
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
I bought a 2008 Specialized Rockhopper disk new in '09 and have put a ton of miles on it this summer. I've never enjoyed riding in the woods this much, I ride it about 10 miles or very technical trail 2-4 times a week after work. If anyone's farmiliar with CT riding, I'm mostly over at Birch/Case Mountain. I recently switched to clipless pedals and after my required low speed tipover, it is the best investment I've made in making the sport more fun. I also recently ditched my hydration pack and put two bottle cages on the bike and a small under saddle bag for extra innertube and CO2. In a big water bottle I carry the water, but in the other much smaller bottle I carry ID, some cash, epi-pen (for bee allergy) a tool and some other little things. It's been great and I've found I can ride longer without hurting my back with all the weight of 100oz of water I usually don't drink.

Reason I'm posting is I've developed the saddle/inner thigh rash many of you guys have right now. Been treating it with Lotrimin anti-fungal which seems to do the trick, but I think ultimately I'll need to upgrade my saddle to something more comfortable to move around on. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a big guy (6'8, 275 lbs and melting) so I need something beefy.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #21163
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Ultimately, its the width of your sit bones not your overall size that determines how big a saddle you'll need.

Stay away from Ti or carbon rails and pretty much everything else saddle-wise is fair game.

The older saddles like Regals are wider thru the rear than lots of the newer saddles.

You'll have to try em. See what works for you. I like the WTB SST-K I have on the mtn bike, but they don't make it any more.

AFA the inner thigh rash: sounds more like friction than funk. Try a chamois cream (Deeznuts, etc) before you start on your ride.

M
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #21164
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Leg length discrepancy is my first thought.
I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Reason I'm posting is I've developed the saddle/inner thigh rash many of you guys have right now. Been treating it with Lotrimin anti-fungal which seems to do the trick, but I think ultimately I'll need to upgrade my saddle to something more comfortable to move around on. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a big guy (6'8, 275 lbs and melting) so I need something beefy.
Like "Gummee!", I rock a WTB saddle on my MTB. It's the Speed V ProGel. I knew from the OEM saddle what was hurting and bought the complete opposite. As always, saddles are really personal. The best bet is to find a shop with a huge inventory of saddles. Bring your tools, to not be a bother to shop personnel, and start trying saddles. As your weight continues to drop and your glutes continue to harden, it'll become easier on your rearend.

As for you skin condition, you need to determine if the rash is friction or fungal related. As mentioned above, Bag Balm is excellent for friction issues. Plus, it has some medicinal/anti-fungal qualities, too. If you've got fungal issues, you'll need to go to a doctor and get prescribed an ointment with triamcinolone in it. It has a steroidal component in it, so be sure to alert the TdF staff, if you're competing in France. Oh yeah, Lance uses it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #21165
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that.

Like "Gummee!", I rock a WTB saddle on my MTB. It's the Speed V ProGel. I knew from the OEM saddle what was hurting and bought the complete opposite. As always, saddles are really personal. The best bet is to find a shop with a huge inventory of saddles. Bring your tools, to not be a bother to shop personnel, and start trying saddles. As your weight continues to drop and your glutes continue to harden, it'll become easier on your rearend.

As for you skin condition, you need to determine if the rash is friction or fungal related. As mentioned above, Bag Balm is excellent for friction issues. Plus, it has some medicinal/anti-fungal qualities, too. If you've got fungal issues, you'll need to go to a doctor and get prescribed an ointment with triamcinolone in it. It has a steroidal component in it, so be sure to alert the TdF staff, if you're competing in France. Oh yeah, Lance uses it.
You can DIY some Assos clone chamois cream if you want. Eucerin, some tea tree oil, some triple antibiotic oinmtent and go ride. I can see what I can do about finding the exact ratios if someone's interested. FWI hear that tea tree oil is the tingle in the Assos.

AFA saddles: wider is not necessarily better and neither is narrower. Just like the 3 bears tale you need to find the one that's just right.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: