ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #21151
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I follow traffic laws. Single lane no shoulder...single file; two lanes no shoulder... two abreast; I own the curb lane- period. I'm not giving people the chance to squeeze by because they think it's possible. Between training & commuting I'm on the road every day, cars need to cope with cyclists.

I too have been stuck behind cyclists who aren't situationally aware, it takes a small amount of time to wait for room to pass; why get so jacked over it? I don't care what the general public thinks about cyclists, it hasn't changed in the thirty years I've been an active cyclist; and it never will.
About sums it up
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #21152
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I get asked about the riding on the shoulder thing alot. You do realize all the shit that falls off of trucks and cars ends up on the shoulder right? If you wanna get a flat, ride on the shoulder. Just go for a walk on a road and see. Nails, screws, sheetmetal, bungy cords, Roadkill..... You name it!
I'm well aware of what's on the shoulder, as I ride paved shoulders when they're available. I, also, run puncture-resistant tires, to prevent flats. Since switching to them, I've not had a single flat in ~2K miles. Going tubeless is next.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #21153
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Mr Head:
"What really chaps me are groups on the trail hauling ass and taking up both sides, pushing oncoming riders aside as they take their half out of my lane.

Sunday there were two groups of these fools decked out in "River Velo" gear. If you're going to ride real fast on a weekend high traffic path, get the hell off it and go ride the back streets."

Sounds like the river trail heading down to HB. I'll be in Costa Mesa this weekend, and usually hop on that (by South Coast Plaza) to start my Laguna Canyon loop.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #21154
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I follow traffic laws. Single lane no shoulder...single file; two lanes no shoulder... two abreast; I own the curb lane- period. I'm not giving people the chance to squeeze by because they think it's possible. Between training & commuting I'm on the road every day, cars need to cope with cyclists.

I too have been stuck behind cyclists who aren't situationally aware, it takes a small amount of time to wait for room to pass; why get so jacked over it? I don't care what the general public thinks about cyclists, it hasn't changed in the thirty years I've been an active cyclist; and it never will.
I think this is going to be an agree to disagree thing.

EVERYTHING I have read tells us to do what is stated above as a matter of safety. But then again, I am a tourist, not a racer.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #21155
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I think this is going to be an agree to disagree thing.

EVERYTHING I have read tells us to do what is stated above as a matter of safety. But then again, I am a tourist, not a racer.
What's safe? Stuffing yourself against the curb so people can pass within inches of your shoulder? Me thinks not. I'm all about being safe, polite, patient, etc. Tourist or racer dosen't matter, the roads are the same.

I follow Title 28, and that allows me in certain situations to ride two abreast; I fully take advantage of that. I'll also pull over if traffic is stacking up behind me on a stretch of road. It's not always black and white, but I WILL NOT be strong armed by impatient self righteous drivers.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #21156
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
What's safe? Stuffing yourself against the curb so people can pass within inches of your shoulder? Me thinks not. I'm all about being safe, polite, patient, etc. Tourist or racer dosen't matter, the roads are the same.

I follow Title 28, and that allows me in certain situations to ride two abreast; I fully take advantage of that. I'll also pull over if traffic is stacking up behind me on a stretch of road. It's not always black and white, but I WILL NOT be strong armed by impatient self righteous drivers.
Dude, I quoted you because I agree with you.

I am going back to lurking, I can never get my point across in this place......
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #21157
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I am going back to lurking, I can never get my point across in this place......
Ahhhh, don't do that. I like to think of this thread as something different from the rest of the forum. There's not the "attitude" here.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #21158
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
There's nothing less intimidating than an angry cyclist. Spandex, walking like a duck, etc. I find it's easier to just be reasonable and move over when I can. If I need to take the lane, I give a wave and say thanks.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #21159
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
Cool, I'm up toward the end of the trail in Yorba Linda. I plan on riding to the beach both days if I can swing it.
I'll look soemthing like this:



I don't hear real well so if you see me you'll have to tap my shoulder.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Mr Head:
"What really chaps me are groups on the trail hauling ass and taking up both sides, pushing oncoming riders aside as they take their half out of my lane.

Sunday there were two groups of these fools decked out in "River Velo" gear. If you're going to ride real fast on a weekend high traffic path, get the hell off it and go ride the back streets."

Sounds like the river trail heading down to HB. I'll be in Costa Mesa this weekend, and usually hop on that (by South Coast Plaza) to start my Laguna Canyon loop.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #21160
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
There's nothing less intimidating than an angry cyclist. Spandex, walking like a duck, etc. I find it's easier to just be reasonable and move over when I can. If I need to take the lane, I give a wave and say thanks.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #21161
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Dude, I quoted you because I agree with you.

I am going back to lurking, I can never get my point across in this place......
Sorry, I get spooled up with bike vs car issues.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #21162
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Sorry, I get spooled up with bike vs car issues.
Yet you expect motorists to be respectful?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #21163
Lewy
Minus the LC8
 
Lewy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: South Coast, NSW, Strayla
Oddometer: 1,969
Its the middle of winter over here and I get days like this to ride.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #21164
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Its the middle of winter over here and I get days like this to ride.

Looks like it's not too hard to take! Here's a pic of mid winter over here...

With the studded tires
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #21165
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer
 
Robert_C's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: P.R. China
Oddometer: 1,703
I just got a new bicycle:


I went with a folder because I have about a month of traveling scheduled to start on the first of August and I don't like walking much. I am hoping that I will be able to bring this on the train with me.

The dealer threw in the bag at no extra cost, it is a Chinese market model, a Dragon D7. Total cost was about $308 after conversion to USD.
__________________
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015