Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #21181
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and this is the guy that just upgraded to a 3...

Animal!

Yer an animal I tell ya!

M
Yabbut, there's always a bigger, faster and meaner animal out there somewhere. Every food chain has it's hierarchy and I'm nowhere near the top yet... Gotta stay sharp so I can hopefully outrun him when I meet him.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #21182
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yabbut, there's always a bigger, faster and meaner animal out there somewhere. Every food chain has it's hierarchy and I'm nowhere near the top yet... Gotta stay sharp so I can hopefully outrun him when I meet him.

So... on a lighter note when are you leaving for RAGREI,or how ever it's spelled?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #21183
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So... on a lighter note when are you leaving for RAGREI,or how ever it's spelled?
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa - RAGBRAI... I think.

Ridge - are you riding Ragbrai?

Bill the Duck and I are headed there on Thursday. The plan is the drive from PHX to Oklahoma City to have dinner with Snoid at midnight. Not sure if we'll continue to Davenport or lay up for the rest of the night. Bill the Duck's car is a Mini Cooper with the JCW package - we hope to make good time in it.

Once in Davenport on Friday, we'll meet our charter for the ride to the western side of the state on Saturday. Bill the Duck's on a black Bacchetta and mine is yellow-orangish one... also a Bacchetta recumbent.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #21184
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Saddle demo programs:

This is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...T&BRAND.ID=118

More tri-specific.
http://www.trisports.com/tri-before-...e-program.html

Koobi has a 30 day refund/exchange program. Some MTBers swear by these saddles.
http://www.koobi.com/

Terry, also, has a 30 day program.
http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles
I demoed a saddle from TriSports. It was really helpful and I wound up buying the saddle.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #21185
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa - RAGBRAI... I think.

Ridge - are you riding Ragbrai?

Bill the Duck and I are headed there on Thursday. The plan is the drive from PHX to Oklahoma City to have dinner with Snoid at midnight. Not sure if we'll continue to Davenport or lay up for the rest of the night. Bill the Duck's car is a Mini Cooper with the JCW package - we hope to make good time in it.

Once in Davenport on Friday, we'll meet our charter for the ride to the western side of the state on Saturday. Bill the Duck's on a black Bacchetta and mine is yellow-orangish one... also a Bacchetta recumbent.
No RAGBRAI this year. I wish we were going, but my grandmother's physical condition has been declining for the past year, so my wife and I are taking the time we would have spent in Iowa and flying out to TX instead. I've done RAGBRAI for the last two years and it is one of the funnest things you can do on a bicycle. 15,000 cyclists all trying to get to the same place and partying on the way. I'm a people watcher so it's hilarious to see all the costumes and shenanigans that go on through out the week.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #21186
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,355
My brother and his oldest daughter are riding RAGBRAI this year again. I was supposed to join them until my work schedule and other family stuff kicked in. I just couldn't manage three weeks away all at once. Maybe next year?

The bad news is I've been off my bicycle for nearly three weeks. But, I managed to lose another couple of pounds while on a motorcycle trip.
I ate well but not too stupid. Sampled the local micro-brews but, again not too stupid.

Did some hiking, fishing and riding the big adventure on 4wd roads. Loads of work that. Drained my 3 liter camelbak about twice a day. So, between that and the microbrews I stayed well hydrated.

Tonight I get back on the push bike.

From the travels,

Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #21187
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I wanted to throw this out there for anybody interested...the Kansas Cycling State Track Championships are this weekend near Lawrence....on a grass velodrome no less....I watched a few velodrome races as a kid growing up just north of Chicago, so this should be interesting.

http://kscycling.org/wp-content/uplo...ampionship.pdf
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #21188
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,355
They are racing on grass?
I know it's the prairie and all but that is kind of nuts. Their times will be really odd compared to concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
I wanted to throw this out there for anybody interested...the Kansas Cycling State Track Championships are this weekend near Lawrence....on a grass velodrome no less....I watched a few velodrome races as a kid growing up just north of Chicago, so this should be interesting.

http://kscycling.org/wp-content/uplo...ampionship.pdf
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #21189
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I know it sounds strange, but their flyer doesnt lie...its a grass velodrome. If I can make it out there I will be sure to post a few pics.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #21190
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
I know it sounds strange, but their flyer doesnt lie...its a grass velodrome. If I can make it out there I will be sure to post a few pics.
Yep on the strange. Will they be filming the sequel to Breaking Away?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #21191
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,203
Quote:
No RAGBRAI this year. I wish we were going, but my grandmother's physical condition has been declining for the past year, so my wife and I are taking the time we would have spent in Iowa and flying out to TX instead. I've done RAGBRAI for the last two years and it is one of the funnest things you can do on a bicycle. 15,000 cyclists all trying to get to the same place and partying on the way. I'm a people watcher so it's hilarious to see all the costumes and shenanigans that go on through out the week.
I've lost both parents in the last 18 months so I know the stuggles of taking care of the old folks. Interestingly enough, my father's mother, at 95, is still alive and fairly sharp too!

Safe travels to you and your wife.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #21192
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
It'll be good to spend what may be the last time you'll see her. I went to be with my dad on his 86th birthday. It was the last time I saw him alive. and I'll always treasure that time I had with him.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #21193
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My brother and his oldest daughter are riding RAGBRAI this year again. I was supposed to join them until my work schedule and other family stuff kicked in. I just couldn't manage three weeks away all at once. Maybe next year?

The bad news is I've been off my bicycle for nearly three weeks. But, I managed to lose another couple of pounds while on a motorcycle trip.
I ate well but not too stupid. Sampled the local micro-brews but, again not too stupid.

Did some hiking, fishing and riding the big adventure on 4wd roads. Loads of work that. Drained my 3 liter camelbak about twice a day. So, between that and the microbrews I stayed well hydrated.

Tonight I get back on the push bike.

From the travels,

Yea I had one of those, That's a big bike to hustle around on fire roads or single track. It'll work ya.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #21194
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,318
Been doing a little bit of Mt. Biking out here in CA. Figured I'd share a couple pix

Turner Burner I built up for the Girlfriend

My Ride the Mountain Cycle Zen LOVE this bike!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #21195
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,323
20 Miles in an Hour

Folks,

I'd like to be able to do 20 miles in an hour (solo, flat, no wind). No particular reason for that number, but I have a vague notion that doing that will elevate me from the "people who suck" category to the "people who don't suck quite so much" category. I'm a little stuck right now. I can do between 18 and 19 miles in an hour (18.8 is my best) but that last mile per hour is totally kicking my ass. I can ride over 20 mph for 4-5 minutes at a time, but it's hard. I can't even conceive doing it for an hour right now.

Anyway, I'm looking for training tips that will push me over this little plateau. As a note, I've been riding somewhat regularly for about 6 months. I ride 15-35 miles three times a week. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: