ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #21346
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,692
Believe it or not, there weren't many churches on my route yesterday. 3 of em. 1 that I passed twice (beginning and end) The rest of the time I was out in the farms and such.

Spent most of the day Sat working on the mower deck then the Buell. I think that the Buell needs a fuel pump. The injectors *seem* clear.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #21347
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brek81's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: I-town
Oddometer: 136
ragbrai/best of the worst

Just got off Ragbrai with one of my closest friends... a very trying week, even though it was my second time.

Have been struggling with an acute allergy or asthma all spring, still not figured out.
Fell over on day 2 due to loosing a bolt in a cleat.
Endo'd on day 4 bunny hopping over a curb, still feel a bit beat up
crazy hot all week
and broke the carbon rails on the 2mo old fizik seat


and oddly enough it was probbably still the second best vacation i've ever had
Brek81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #21348
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,723
Ouch!

I plan to be in shape to ride next year. I'm hoping to some cooler weather.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
Just got off Ragbrai with one of my closest friends... a very trying week, even though it was my second time.

Have been struggling with an acute allergy or asthma all spring, still not figured out.
Fell over on day 2 due to loosing a bolt in a cleat.
Endo'd on day 4 bunny hopping over a curb, still feel a bit beat up
crazy hot all week
and broke the carbon rails on the 2mo old fizik seat


and oddly enough it was probbably still the second best vacation i've ever had
__________________
...Richard
" you may not be able to fix it with a hammer, but you'll damned sure teach it a lesson" - Anon
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #21349
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,428
The wife and I are 99% on for next year's run. Perhaps we need to have an ADV meet and brew somewhere along the route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
Just got off Ragbrai with one of my closest friends... a very trying week, even though it was my second time.

Have been struggling with an acute allergy or asthma all spring, still not figured out.
Fell over on day 2 due to loosing a bolt in a cleat.
Endo'd on day 4 bunny hopping over a curb, still feel a bit beat up
crazy hot all week
and broke the carbon rails on the 2mo old fizik seat


and oddly enough it was probbably still the second best vacation i've ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Ouch!

I plan to be in shape to ride next year. I'm hoping to some cooler weather.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #21350
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd
 
fifthcircle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Knee deep in diapers, Nebraska.
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
Just got off Ragbrai with one of my closest friends... a very trying week, even though it was my second time.


I am originally from Atlantic (first overnight town). Wish I could've gone this year.... Glad you had a good time. It's hard not to on that ride
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #21351
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,723
We will have to do that.
I was born in Boone. Spent a lot of time at my great uncles farm that used to be across and around the Lincoln Cemetery at highway 415 and that bridge across the middle of Saylorville. I may be riding with a team from a local winery there in Iowa, just up the road from my brother's farm outside Madrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The wife and I are 99% on for next year's run. Perhaps we need to have an ADV meet and brew somewhere along the route?
__________________
...Richard
" you may not be able to fix it with a hammer, but you'll damned sure teach it a lesson" - Anon
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 03:35 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #21352
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,621
Home from Ragbrai at 5 pm today. Great trip with Bill the Duck - a great friend to travel with! We left on the 21st (Thursday) at 5:30 AM (I think) and made it to Oklahoma City for a late dinner with Snoid. From there, we drove all night to Davenport to meet our charter.

After a quick bus ride on Saturday across the state, reality greeted us in the form of excessive heat and humidity. I've been to the Amazon twice now and on Saturday, the Amazon had nothing on Glenwood in terms of heat and humidity.

I've *never* had cramps on a bicycle but that first day, I experienced them and my legs locked up as I made the final turn into Atlantic! I recovered easily that night and had no real issues the rest of the week.

The worst day for me was the shortest day - only 56 miles but there was something like 61 hills and a lot of headwinds to contend with during the northern part of the route.

I hit a new personal high speed - 48.3 mph on one particular hill. As I found out, my recumbent is faster downhill than the typical diamond-framed bike. I think I surprised a lot of riders on Ragbrai going downhill and occasionally uphill. The rollers were a blast - go aggressively downhill and spin up the upside.

I also had the pleasure of riding with a group of three ultra-marathoners on the trip - a typical 24-hour event for them covers more than 450 miles. They shoved me into their paceline about 4 miles outside of one town and we were moving 24-25 mph. I got the feeling that they were taking it easy for me.

I also witnessed a bit of bad behavior from pacelines on Ragbrai but most of the lines were very, very cool and most slower riders understood they needed to stay to the right. The bad behavior was one group in particular whose lead rider was screaming at people to get out of the way.... when no one was really in their way.

99% of the riders on the trip were wonderful though. It's easy to congratulate myself for finishing the ride with no issues but the real hero's on the ride were the hand-cyclists and those who are overweight and on what most of us would consider inadequate equipment. Those riders displayed a lot of courage and tenacity to complete the journey and absolutely have my respect.

We rode 454 miles (actually, a bit more due to the camp locations), drove 3400 miles and really enjoyed ourselves! Will I do it again? Maybe - time will tell. BTW, I loved Iowa and the people there were simply wonderful.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #21353
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Home from Ragbrai at 5 pm today. Great trip with Bill the Duck - a great friend to travel with! We left on the 21st (Thursday) at 5:30 AM (I think) and made it to Oklahoma City for a late dinner with Snoid. From there, we drove all night to Davenport to meet our charter.

After a quick bus ride on Saturday across the state, reality greeted us in the form of excessive heat and humidity. I've been to the Amazon twice now and on Saturday, the Amazon had nothing on Glenwood in terms of heat and humidity.

I've *never* had cramps on a bicycle but that first day, I experienced them and my legs locked up as I made the final turn into Atlantic! I recovered easily that night and had no real issues the rest of the week.

The worst day for me was the shortest day - only 56 miles but there was something like 61 hills and a lot of headwinds to contend with during the northern part of the route.

I hit a new personal high speed - 48.3 mph on one particular hill. As I found out, my recumbent is faster downhill than the typical diamond-framed bike. I think I surprised a lot of riders on Ragbrai going downhill and occasionally uphill. The rollers were a blast - go aggressively downhill and spin up the upside.

I also had the pleasure of riding with a group of three ultra-marathoners on the trip - a typical 24-hour event for them covers more than 450 miles. They shoved me into their paceline about 4 miles outside of one town and we were moving 24-25 mph. I got the feeling that they were taking it easy for me.

I also witnessed a bit of bad behavior from pacelines on Ragbrai but most of the lines were very, very cool and most slower riders understood they needed to stay to the right. The bad behavior was one group in particular whose lead rider was screaming at people to get out of the way.... when no one was really in their way.

99% of the riders on the trip were wonderful though. It's easy to congratulate myself for finishing the ride with no issues but the real hero's on the ride were the hand-cyclists and those who are overweight and on what most of us would consider inadequate equipment. Those riders displayed a lot of courage and tenacity to complete the journey and absolutely have my respect.

We rode 454 miles (actually, a bit more due to the camp locations), drove 3400 miles and really enjoyed ourselves! Will I do it again? Maybe - time will tell. BTW, I loved Iowa and the people there were simply wonderful.
Congrats on finishing the ride! It looks like a lot of fun and I've officially added it to my list.

Just caught "A Million Spokes" on the Documentary Channel last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwf-B0mi_4I
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #21354
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,170
I guess I don't get the whole RAGBRAI thing. It's way too many people; like riding in a big city. Maybe ride the route at a different time of year. But, I'd rather ride the Great Divide Route, where there's peace and solitude.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #21355
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
i guess i don't get the whole ragbrai thing. It's way too many people; like riding in a big city. Maybe ride the route at a different time of year. But, i'd rather ride the great divide route, where there's peace and solitude.
+1
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #21356
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,428
Guess it just depends on your perception of cycling. RAGBRAI is definitely more of a social ride, rather than a scenic getaway. I would relate it most closely to a rolling Mardi Gras. Iowa ain't exactly known for its scenic wonderland. Farms, wind generators, corn and more corn are what comprises the general landscape.

What makes RAGBRAI so damn fun is the people and the social aspect. Between watching 10,000+ cyclists all try to make it to the next town and laughing at the shenanigans that take place along the journey, I really don't know how a person could not have a good time. The locals in all the towns are the icing on the cake. They welcome you with open arms, open homes and genuinely make you feel like an honored guest.

Apples to Oranges is my humble opinion. The great divide route has its majestic views and pure, unspoiled solitude. While I can truly appreciate those rides, RAGBRAI is a horse of a different color and I love it equally just for a different reason.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #21357
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,723
I agree about the crowd. I am not a crowd guy, but I can put up with it if I set my mind to it. I nearly managed it for MotoGP one year, but gave in and left Saturday night. RAGBRAI would be harder to do that with. As I get older I figure I need to push my personal envelop a bit anyway.

My reasons for riding RAGBRAI, or wanting to, (I've paid for it three times, then hurt myself or work screwed things), are a few;
first I was born there and spent a lot of summers there on farms and small towns. I miss that part. I don't miss the weather once I was old enough to notice that.
Then, I'd be riding with my brother and niece/s, more fun. The whole eat your way across geography is not what I'm into. A few local brews maybe a small sample of pie here and there. One year I missed the route went through my home town and past several relatives farms. That would have been a good time. I would have likely gained weight.

I figure next summer I'll be easily able to deal with the seat time, and discomfort of camping in humidity. I'll buy a jersey, ride and laugh, and spend a week not taking myself or the world too seriously. And that will be worth the trouble and expense.

Don't look for me decked out in some goofy costume. I get enough of that with the whale foreskin power-ranger outfit on the adventure.

Besides I'm a whole other breed of clown.
__________________
...Richard
" you may not be able to fix it with a hammer, but you'll damned sure teach it a lesson" - Anon
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #21358
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Guess it just depends on your perception of cycling. RAGBRAI is definitely more of a social ride, rather than a scenic getaway. I would relate it most closely to a rolling Mardi Gras. Iowa ain't exactly known for its scenic wonderland. Farms, wind generators, corn and more corn are what comprises the general landscape.

What makes RAGBRAI so damn fun is the people and the social aspect. Between watching 10,000+ cyclists all try to make it to the next town and laughing at the shenanigans that take place along the journey, I really don't know how a person could not have a good time. The locals in all the towns are the icing on the cake. They welcome you with open arms, open homes and genuinely make you feel like an honored guest.

Apples to Oranges is my humble opinion. The great divide route has its majestic views and pure, unspoiled solitude. While I can truly appreciate those rides, RAGBRAI is a horse of a different color and I love it equally just for a different reason.
That's kind of how I'm looking at it. Sort of a big, rolling party. I'd like to do the Amsterdam to Paris AIDS ride as well. I don't usually ride in a group bigger than 3 or 4, but I've had fun on the few big organized rides that I've done, once folks begin to spread out a bit.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #21359
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,807
**NSFW**

Just reading a piece on Mark Cavendish and I just found out this is his squeeze. Must suck to go home to that at the end of a race....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #21360
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I guess I don't get the whole RAGBRAI thing. It's way too many people; like riding in a big city. Maybe ride the route at a different time of year. But, I'd rather ride the Great Divide Route, where there's peace and solitude.
I felt the same way before I started the trip but was determined to keep an open mind during the ride. The bottom line for me is that you're hanging out with like-minded people who are all friendly and out to enjoy themselves. The people in Iowa along the route are the best too. I suppose the bottom line is, "Don't knock it until you try it.". I'm a Ragbrai-believer now and will likely do it again someday. In fact, I had lunch with my wife and we were talking about what I'd do differently...slow down, enjoy the towns more, fly out instead of drive, etc.

FWIW, I've done a bit of touring by myself also. The longest was Glacier to Yellowstone... I recall being very lonely at times and at other times, embracing my time alone. It's the same with Ragbrai - there weren't too many times when the crowds bothered me but it did occur once or twice. For the most part, everyone has the same goal - cycle safely and enjoy themselves. Each to his own but keeping an open mind is a good way to start and end Ragbrai!
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014