Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 263 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #21646
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I didn't really get a chance to look too closely at the bike. Once it left me on the roadside, I was more concerned with getting to work on-time. My wife ran it up to the shop before I got home to investigate.

I still haven't heard anything from the shop and I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so I guess I'll deal with it next week.

Assuming the gouges are minor, is there anything I can put on them to seal them up? Epoxy or something?

I appreciate the comments. This is my first adventure with CF and my last bike was nearly bullet proof.
Just talked to the shop... New derailleur will be installed this week. I'll buy the part at a decent discount and they'll comp the labor with the service writer's promise that "I'll do the install myself and make sure this doesn't happen again."

I'm fairly happy with the outcome. Mostly I just want my bike back.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #21647
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Just talked to the shop... New derailleur will be installed this week. I'll buy the part at a decent discount and they'll comp the labor with the service writer's promise that "I'll do the install myself and make sure this doesn't happen again."

I'm fairly happy with the outcome. Mostly I just want my bike back.
Unfortunately, if it was the result of a bent hanger no mechanic can say with any certainty "this will never happen again".

The pic you posted has become much more common in this age of wimpy replaceable derailleur hangers. Granted, they are a sort of safety valve for easily damaged frames, but they do seem to bend at the slightest touch....We're replacing hangers and/or derailleurs at an alarming rate the last several seasons. It's not a coincidence.

Park and transport your bike carefully, and eyeball that hanger as often as you check your tire pressure......
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #21648
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You looking at XC (100mm) bikes?
The short answer is yes, but to be honest nothing is off the table for discussion.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #21649
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The short answer is yes, but to be honest nothing is off the table for discussion.
That's a great segment to be in, as there are a lot bikes in that travel range. There's definitely a huge weight difference between the XC bikes and a trail bike like mine. One wouldn't think an additional 30mm of travel would make that much difference in weight, but, they overbuild everything as if it were an all-mountain ride.

A few, for you, that come to mind are Niner Jet9 and RIP9, Gary Fisher Superfly, Santa Cruz Tallboy, and Specialized Epic. I looked at Niners in a shop in FL. They're nicely made bikes, but, I'd have no dealer support within 100mi of where I live. Plus, they were more money than I could swing. I have a local Fisher dealer, but, they suck. So, even though I liked the bike, I couldn't patronize them knowing how bad their customer service is. Santa Cruz was past my budget. I nearly bought the Epic, but, ultimately decided I wanted more travel after a test ride.

The aforemention Salsa Spearfish looks interesting. I'd sure like to ride one. Reading Salsa's blogs lead me to believe they really do their best to develop decent bikes.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #21650
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,850
Went out for an hour tonight. Long meeting kept me late at work.

So more trail, out and back. Hot again. A headwind for a bit, then back I got the tailwind. I did have to stop and get water, and do half a Gu gel. Legs are sore now. GOt home and just quick cooled then started dinner. Grilled corn on the cob with EVOO and pepper, and poached fish, in a chili/pepper sauce. Yummy.

Slow-ish ride, though.

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #21651
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

MAn, that's cool. Going for Cat II next season?

Quote:
Yeah.. as I type this, I'm researching a 29er FSR build over the winter. Final contestants are Ellsworth, Santa Cruz and Salsa.

I hate bailing on a race and am determined to conquer a 6 hour event!

I'm digging the Strava as well. I like that I can drill down into the route and look at individual sections.

On another, more positive note (I needed something to take my mind off Sunday ), I figured out my RR rankings today. Better than I expected considering the small amount of races I've done since moving up to Cat 3.

Your Criterium Cat 3 Standings:
Rank in your zip code (27217) 1 of 1 (First)
Rank in your state (NC) 52 of 187 (27.81%)
Rank in your riding age (36) 15 of 137 (10.95%)
Rank in 5 year age range (35-39) 91of 782 (11.64%)
Rank in 10 year age range (30-39) 141of 1272 (11.08%)
Overall Rank 608 of 5256 (11.57%)

Your Road Race Cat 3 Standings:
Rank in your zip code (27217) 1of 1 (First)
Rank in your state (NC) 33 of 173 (19.08%)
Rank in your riding age (36) 37 of 132 (28.03%)
Rank in 5 year age range (35-39) 177 of 743 (23.82%)
Rank in 10 year age range (30-39) 292 of 1252 (23.32%)
Overall Rank 1444 of 5229 (27.62%)
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #21652
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
My first MTB race was not at all what I expected. I entered a 6 hour endurance event called the Angry Monkey. It is held on a local trail system that I know exceptionally well and I know I can ride it ridiculously fast on a SS if necessary... this would prove to hurt later.

As race day draws near, I finally get to check out the course map and find, to my dismay, that they have added in all the horse trails to kick up the total loop mileage. This does not bode well for my performance. While I know the MTB sections blindfolded, I have never set tire or foot on the horse trails.

I talked my buddy into pre-riding the course on Friday evening to get a feel for the flow and technicality... boy was that an eye opener. I should preface this with the fact that my steed is a steel, rigid 29er... that's right zero suspension. While good for recreational riding and the occasional burst of speed, rigids suck donkey nuts for endurance and pushing race pace on single track. Almost immediately after getting into the woods on the horse trail, I am faced with 3" roots crossing the trail every which direction and low spots rutted out from horses trampling when the ground was soft... key word there being WAS. The trails have not seen rain for a number of weeks now and every surface is dry, loose and generally unforgiving in every way to maintaining control of a bike at speed. Our first loop is a leisurely 8mph average. We decided for one more loop before the sun set and I managed to put everything together much better the second time around. Still a very difficult transition with dry conditions, barely ridden trails and 60+ riders about to descend on the park.

The morning of race day and I'm set up as well as I can expect. I have the camelbaks ready to go with my wife standing by for the hand off. They sent us off in waves with solo racers first off, then teams and finally the SS category. This would also prove to suck later.

Right from the start, it felt like a crit. Everyone was off like a shot.. this was not at all what I anticipated for a 6 hour event. Like a dumbass, I followed the leader and hung on to his wheel for the first lap. Mistake number one; going out too hard from the start. As we got deep into the single track, the line of rec riders was getting deep and passing was frustrating at best. Try to pass on the left and they move left, try to pass on the right and they move right... damnit just stay still and I'll get past you.

I finally get some open trail in front of me and I settle in to what I believe is a good pace for me. 11-12mph average and I'm holding a solid 3rd place for the first 3 laps. The adrenaline and endorphins must have been pushing me because I did not feel a single root or rock the first couple of laps... even the ones I fell on.

As I round the fourth lap, I switch out camelbaks and see my buddy has pulled out due to a shredded rear tire. We discuss how the trail conditions have really taken a beating throughout the race and everything is loosening up to the point where handling is just a suggestion and simply holding on for the ride is a better description. I let a bit of pressure out of my tires to try and soak up some of the bumps as well as get some better bite, but it's too little, too late. I've already been passed and now sit in 4th place after 5 laps.

The roots are getting bigger, the buried rocks are surfacing in the turns and washing out any attempt at holding a line and I am getting the tar beat out of me as the race wears on. One more lap, a little over 3 hours into the race and I am physically spent. The lack of suspension has played its hand and my entire body has been beaten into submission from the trail. This was one variable I did not take into account for lasting the 6 hours.

I call it after the 6th lap and I'm done. I just cannot take another 2 hours of that trail punishing me. I absolutely detest leaving a race before it's done, but I could not will myself to get back out there. Tail tucked firmly, I packed up and swore revenge for another event on another day. At least they had a kickass masseuse to work out some of the kinks in the armor.

I captured the first four laps on Strava:

A few pics:

The evil weapon of my misfortune:

Focused, but not yet broken:

Haulin' the mail (note the dust plume)

Yeah... it's finally wearing on me:

Just a bit dry...

My stats before I packed up:
Dude you look Leaner and more Fit since I've last seen you. Mt bike races are a whole different thing than RR and Crits. So you went too hard too fast. Your first Crit and RR do you remember those. I went so hard on the first 3-4 laps,I may have finished 20th in finale. which by the way was ...you guessed it was last. It takes a lot of energy to deal with the roots and rocks.Chalk it up to a steep learning curve . We ought to get together this winter and do some riding.

Gummie when are you coming down to NC?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #21653
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Unfortunately, if it was the result of a bent hanger no mechanic can say with any certainty "this will never happen again".

The pic you posted has become much more common in this age of wimpy replaceable derailleur hangers. Granted, they are a sort of safety valve for easily damaged frames, but they do seem to bend at the slightest touch....We're replacing hangers and/or derailleurs at an alarming rate the last several seasons. It's not a coincidence.

Park and transport your bike carefully, and eyeball that hanger as often as you check your tire pressure......
I appreciate the insight. I've babied this thing, but I never checked the hanger clearance. I always lean it up on the left side and check that nothing hits the drive side. It didn't occur to me to check the hanger distance from the spokes, though, in case it had been knocked around by something when I wasn't looking. Guess I've learned a few lessons here...

Thank you all. Hopefully I'll be pedaling again next week...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #21654
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
I appreciate the insight. I've babied this thing, but I never checked the hanger clearance. I always lean it up on the left side and check that nothing hits the drive side. It didn't occur to me to check the hanger distance from the spokes, though, in case it had been knocked around by something when I wasn't looking. Guess I've learned a few lessons here...

You never heard of even the pros breaking chains back in the day. and trust me they are a lot harder on equipment than you or I had ever thought about. these days pros lose races because of broken equipment.At least you didn't crash or worse because of broken DR hanger.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #21655
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
GummEe when are you coming down to NC?
I'll be down that way 14-16/17/18 (?) of Sept

The official stuff I'm supposed to do ends Fri nite. I'll see what my little brother sez about putting me up for an evening and coming back on the 18th.

I don't have a functional mtn bike, but I DO have a pair of road bikes AND a cross bike I could bring.

M
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #21656
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

You may have babied it, but what happens if it gets knocked in to in the garage by someone else? etc. There's lots of times its out of your sight...

I've had rocks, sticks, and just plain perversness jump up and grab my derailleur before. Yeah, it sucks. Better to rip the hanger off than have to replace the entire rear triangle...

Speaking of which: if you have a replaceable dropout, you may wanna think about tossing one in your bag of spares when out mtn biking. You may/may not be able to use it when you roach your rear der. but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

M
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #21657
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
MAn, that's cool. Going for Cat II next season?
I plan on giving it my best shot. If my coach keeps me going on his plan, I should do well early next season.

Quote:
Dude you look Leaner and more Fit since I've last seen you. Mt bike races are a whole different thing than RR and Crits. So you went too hard too fast. Your first Crit and RR do you remember those. I went so hard on the first 3-4 laps,I may have finished 20th in finale. which by the way was ...you guessed it was last. It takes a lot of energy to deal with the roots and rocks.Chalk it up to a steep learning curve . We ought to get together this winter and do some riding.

Gummie when are you coming down to NC?
Definitely. Sept. 18th will be my last event for the road season and I'll most likely put the road bike away for a month or so while I focus on getting ready for a tough mudder I got suckered into doing in Dec. down in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'll be down that way 14-16/17/18 (?) of Sept

The official stuff I'm supposed to do ends Fri nite. I'll see what my little brother sez about putting me up for an evening and coming back on the 18th.

I don't have a functional mtn bike, but I DO have a pair of road bikes AND a cross bike I could bring.

M
Cool, I'll be heading to Lenoir on the 17th getting ready for Bridge to Bridge. Would not be able to ride with ya, but I could grab a beer or two.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #21658
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
I plan on giving it my best shot. If my coach keeps me going on his plan, I should do well early next season.

Definitely. Sept. 18th will be my last event for the road season and I'll most likely put the road bike away for a month or so while I focus on getting ready for a tough mudder I got suckered into doing in Dec. down in Tampa.

Cool, I'll be heading to Lenoir on the 17th getting ready for Bridge to Bridge. Would not be able to ride with ya, but I could grab a beer or two.
Good luck on the Carolina Cup.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #21659
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Good luck on the Carolina Cup.
+1

I'll be around again. Not to worry.

I just hope I can keep up with a studly Cat 2 like you!

M
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #21660
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

One more day of heat, and another hot ride.

I will rest tomorrow night and get my ride in Saturday morning. I need to do some climbing the guys are planning a ride with big hills on the 24th.

My ride for the 24th:

And tonight,

I'm hoping to get some good long miles in on Saturday, then get out to the garage and swap the smooth-in-the-middle TKC for a mostly worn K60.

With the way the weather has been the K60 should be nice and flexible, though the garage will feel like a pizza oven.

But, I know where there's a cold beer.
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 06:28 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: