User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #21661
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Good ride tonight with the Usual Gang of Idiots; 38.1 mi. in 2:07 out to the dam and back.

One of the things about being in NorCal this time of year is the aroma of the MJ harvest in air. It was like a Phish concert out there tonight, and probably will be until the middle of October.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #21662
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Good luck on the Carolina Cup.
Thank you sir. Looks like there is going to be a very cool classic/antique car show and community event to go along with our races in Old Salem. I saw some very drool-worthy cars at last year's event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
+1

I'll be around again. Not to worry.

I just hope I can keep up with a studly Cat 2 like you!

M
HA! nowhere near Cat 2 yet. Lots of work to do for that to happen.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #21663
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Scott Genius

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a while, and really enjoy reading the stuff you guys go through. I've been trying to get back into regular riding with my kids but the Navy sends me out a lot and makes it difficult... Anyway, I'm selling one of my frames (and the rest of the stuff that was on it too) but before I put it up on craigs list or the flea market I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in this 2004 Scott Scandium RC-10 Genius.

It measures a little over 19 inches from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, the shock is in great condition and the frame has standard scratches. The cable that you see in the picture is to adjust the travel one the shock from no movement, to two, then four inches of travel in three positions respectively. The bike rides great, but it has been collecting dust for a while and I want to see it go to a good home. The drop out is straight, and the frame with the shock weighs about 5 pounds.

I've got some XTR shifters, XTR front and XT reear derailleurs, some Bombshell wheels and a Marzocchi 66RC fork also. I'm asking 600 for the frame plus shipping, but pick ups are welcome.

-Barron
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #21664
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
CYCLOCROSS SEASON!!!1!

I think we may now dispense with an enthusiastic "woo".

As you may have noticed, I've been jonesing for SS CX bike for a while now.

Well, the recent acquisition of a Fargo frameset has kind of derailed those plans.

But I do have a SS 29er. And a growing pile of parts that might make for a pretty cool monster cross conversion.

So I've been running the SS in our local practice nights in all it's 32x17, 29x2.55 glory....

...and strangely, kicking ass.

Like, just walking way from people I used to have some epic races with.

Haven't really done a whole lot different his year other than spending a fair amount of commuter miles just leaving the bike in 39x17.

And I find it hard to believe that two pretty dedicated riders who take training and such way more seriously than I ever will spontaneously got that much slower....

Now I can't decide if I want to screw with my wining bike configuration.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #21665
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
@Askel: if it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

If y'all haven't seen, I have my pair of gently used Sidi Genius 5s up for sale in the FM. Since I stopped standing on my feet, they started hurting my em. Gotta go.

This specific pair is a few years old now, but for most of that time I was running not riding. Don't ask.

$69 for inmates if you know someone getting into the sport with 9.5-ish feet, this is a great way to save $150 or so on top of the line shoes.

M
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #21666
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,728
Well, my Saturday morning ride was lost to the ether Thanks to some glitch with the Strava app. Who knows where it went? No idea why it failed. Right up to finishing the track it was all recorded and there, then Poof! Gone. Not like I can't ride it again another weekend.

70.4 miles in about 4:10. 16.8 mph average.
Started off in gloom, that by the pond turned to a sprinkle, then about 5 miles later or so thunder. Just as I got to the high tension wires.
No soaking rain or even a drizzle, a few sprinkles that kept it cool and damp. Stopped at Huntington Beach Tower 2 for a rest, snack and relief. Then headed south on PCH to Crystal Cove State Park. I got some water there, and turned around for home.
The sun finally came out an hour after I got home. Cooled down, showered and drove to Pomona and picked up the new tail light for the Adventure.
Now I need to work up the energy to change tires.

No ride tomorrow as we're working some second harvest garden. No idea what that is, but I volunteered and they say to bring water, sunscreen, a hat and gloves. I figure with that list I'm working in a field. My back aught to like that.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #21667
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Bless me father for I sinned. I haven't ridden in darn near a week.

...and it looks like today's gonna be another one without a ride unless I can kick this headache.

M
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #21668
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,728
Gobs of water and aspirin and a dark room Gummee!.

We went to Incredible Edible Park and gleaned the fields. We managed to fill the truck 3,000 pounds of peppers, and squash. Not counting the burrs and stickers in our clothes.

Hot tub, the changing tires. Then maybe a ride.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #21669
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Bless me father for I sinned. I haven't ridden in darn near a week.

...and it looks like today's gonna be another one without a ride unless I can kick this headache.

M
Your sounding like me riden three times in two weeks. got to go ride needs to be my manta....go ride, go ride....
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #21670
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,997
I took my kid to the lake today to ride the trails. This is the first time we've been to the trails this year since he fubared his knee the end of May. I only fell once. I'm probably going to change my pedals to flats for this next time, I had a hard time clipping in with the clips. Kind of a pain.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #21671
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,627
It's only a failure if....

....you don't learn from it and make changes.

My 200-km brevet was a disaster from the start. We drove up Friday after work, checked into the hotel and I got to bed early. I had a light breakfast and met the group at the start. From the time we arrived in Pinetop, I felt more winded. Pinetop is about 5500-ft higher than Phoenix. It didn't get any better on the ride as it climbed up and down to around 8,000 ft. After 100-km, I flatted going into the second checkpoint and was late but that's not really an excuse - I had nothing left.

There was one fairly large climb left up to the Sunrise Ski area. Had I been half an hour earlier into the first checkpoint and had about 10 more miles of climbing in me, I think I could have finished it - from the 80 mile point, it was pretty much all downhill back to the finish at 125 miles.

Riding 100 miles on the flats - easy for me - didn't translate well into the elevation. I'll have to visit South Mt Park where there's a climb that gains about 1000-ft in elevation or head towards north Scottsdale/Fountain Hills where there are some longer climbs (i.e. 9-Mile Hill).

k7 screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 02:20 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #21672
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
....you don't learn from it and make changes.

My 200-km brevet was a disaster from the start. We drove up Friday after work, checked into the hotel and I got to bed early. I had a light breakfast and met the group at the start. From the time we arrived in Pinetop, I felt more winded. Pinetop is about 4000-ft higher than Phoenix. It didn't get any better on the ride as it climbed up and down to around 8,000 ft. After 100-km, I flatted going into the second checkpoint and was late but that's not really an excuse - I had nothing left.

There was one fairly large climb left up to the Sunrise Ski area. Had I been half an hour earlier into the first checkpoint and had about 10 more miles of climbing in me, I think I could have finished it - from the 80 mile point, it was pretty much all downhill back to the finish at 125 miles.

Riding 100 miles on the flats - easy for me - didn't translate well into the elevation. I'll have to visit South Mt Park where there's a climb that gains about 1000-ft in elevation or head towards north Scottsdale/Fountain Hills where there are some longer climbs (i.e. 9-Mile Rd).
I always hated long climbs but kind of viewed them as admittance to the thrill of the downhill reward. When I was stationed in Japan I had some mostorous climbs that allowed me to get up to some pretty insane speeds on the downslope. It took a while to build up to the point where climbing that much was not a punishment and more of a time trial that I always pushed to improve.

-Barron
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #21673
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
@Askel: if it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

That's not what the guys at the LBS said as I was standing there with my checkbook.

Moving to 34x17, that's been a long time coming. Shouldn't affect much.

Also have some Salsa Woodchipper bars on the way. Intended for the Fargo, but I'll give them a try on the SS 29er for fun.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #21674
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Ridge

So.... how did the Carolina Cup go, This is probably your biggest race since catting up.(It's a fairly big regional event ) even when I raced in the jurassic period. It was a big event .They should post the results in the paper tonight,And the paper never post results. If it isn't Nascar,football baseball,or golf it's not a sport....Oh I forgot swimming that too. That's only because we host big events here .....But I'm not bitter.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #21675
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
heh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: