Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 312 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #21796
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Gummee!, When they start paying ya', they can start making demands.
Even then I'll find some way to avoid riding a century. Ugh. I'll be sag, I'll wrench, I'll sit around and just look pretty but I will not ride a century.

One of the things that I was thinking was 'when the club gets big enough, I'm not going to be missed nearly as much and won't have to worry about it.' My focus is training for racing. I'm happy to be the leadout guy. I'm happy to sacrifice myself chasing down the break. I'm happy being the sprinter on the team. ...as long as we're racing.

IDK how much y'all know about how much I hate mowing the lawn (all 4ac of it!) but I'd rather mow than ride a century if that sez something.

M
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #21797
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,111
So, a while back I said I'd record video of the hill ride. I didn't say I'd ride a bicycle though.

That would have been a very long movie.

Here it is in all it's wind noisy glory, (sorry no HD edit yet):

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #21798
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Have I told y'all I don't do mandatory? As in 'you MUST be at the century tomorrow or you're off the team' kind of mandatory...

We had team pics today. Lots of riding down the road 50m and coming back towards the camera. Lots. They took 8XX pics in the AM then we went back out in the PM for more.

...and that don't count the team pic in the AM before the century.

I threatened to not show and the team leader dood blew a gasket. I'm compromising by attending the picture taking then skedaddling up to the cross race in Southern MD. He's still blowing a gasket.

If you don't go you're not on the team

Ok (mentally: I can live with that. There's other teams out there and other people to ride with

Then he proceeds to try and reason around me not riding: we're not doing a century. We're only doing a metric. Uhhh K. Its called what exactly? The Cannonball Century. I DO NOT ride centuries. Never have. Hope to never will.

In the end it came down to 'you're still on the team but don't expect any of the free stuff...'

OK (mentally: what free stuff?! When's the last time a no-name local squad go free stuff? Discounts? Sure. Freebies? Nope.) Oh, get this: he tried to pull the 'you owe me $$ for the cranks you bought with the team discount shit. Uhhhh dood. When I bought those cranks, I was on the team I don't owe anyone nuthin! They were take-off Force cranks from a few years back.

So I'm going to get up at undoGly early, drive 50min south, smile, have my pics taken some more, then drive 90min north to Southern MD and be the team mechanic for a different group, then race at 1400. Notice I said 'race.' I didn't say 'do a century.' I'll be on the road a LOT tomorrow.

Speaking of which, this will be my first race in appx 6 years. Wish me luck!

M
Go get 'em!

Allezallezallez!
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #21799
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Come up my way and bring a TT bike. If the winds are mild, you can cruise 20mph, all day long. I did a 23.7mph average over 37 miles, at my best. There are some studs, around here, doing 27-28mph averages.

The farmers are harvesting the corn and the season is a changing, so the winds are starting to get rough. I dread winter.
Midwestern Flatistan? I'll bet I could crack 20 on the Roubaix with walking pneumonia. This is man talk, which involves riding hills.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #21800
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Have I told y'all I don't do mandatory? As in 'you MUST be at the century tomorrow or you're off the team' kind of mandatory...

We had team pics today. Lots of riding down the road 50m and coming back towards the camera. Lots. They took 8XX pics in the AM then we went back out in the PM for more.

...and that don't count the team pic in the AM before the century.

I threatened to not show and the team leader dood blew a gasket. I'm compromising by attending the picture taking then skedaddling up to the cross race in Southern MD. He's still blowing a gasket.

If you don't go you're not on the team

Ok (mentally: I can live with that. There's other teams out there and other people to ride with

Then he proceeds to try and reason around me not riding: we're not doing a century. We're only doing a metric. Uhhh K. Its called what exactly? The Cannonball Century. I DO NOT ride centuries. Never have. Hope to never will.

In the end it came down to 'you're still on the team but don't expect any of the free stuff...'

OK (mentally: what free stuff?! When's the last time a no-name local squad go free stuff? Discounts? Sure. Freebies? Nope.) Oh, get this: he tried to pull the 'you owe me $$ for the cranks you bought with the team discount shit. Uhhhh dood. When I bought those cranks, I was on the team I don't owe anyone nuthin! They were take-off Force cranks from a few years back.

So I'm going to get up at undoGly early, drive 50min south, smile, have my pics taken some more, then drive 90min north to Southern MD and be the team mechanic for a different group, then race at 1400. Notice I said 'race.' I didn't say 'do a century.' I'll be on the road a LOT tomorrow.

Speaking of which, this will be my first race in appx 6 years. Wish me luck!

M

Good Luck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #21801
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Even then I'll find some way to avoid riding a century. Ugh. I'll be sag, I'll wrench, I'll sit around and just look pretty but I will not ride a century.

One of the things that I was thinking was 'when the club gets big enough, I'm not going to be missed nearly as much and won't have to worry about it.' My focus is training for racing. I'm happy to be the leadout guy. I'm happy to sacrifice myself chasing down the break. I'm happy being the sprinter on the team. ...as long as we're racing.

IDK how much y'all know about how much I hate mowing the lawn (all 4ac of it!) but I'd rather mow than ride a century if that sez something.

M
I don't mind racing a hundred miles ,but just riding a hundred toasts me for a week.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #21802
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
So, a while back I said I'd record video of the hill ride. I didn't say I'd ride a bicycle though.

nice downhill ,I'm not sure I'd want to come back up it. But you probably don't have a choice nice vidieo though.

Did I see a deer caution sign, not what you want to hit on a bike.

Nice houses,too.

TheYeti screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 04:23 PM
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #21803
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

We don't have houses, roads, or hills like that, around here. I can see how CA would be an expensive place to live. I'd love to ride those hills, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Midwestern Flatistan? I'll bet I could crack 20 on the Roubaix with walking pneumonia. This is man talk, which involves riding hills.
Quit being humble, those are more than just hills, down there.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #21804
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

The Deer here are slightly larger than greyhounds, and slow witted. (probably from grazing on pot).

The downhill part is the shallow part of the hill.

I'm off to ride to the beach now.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #21805
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,062
So the compromise was OK. Get to the picture-taking spot at 0745 and Thor's already there. Rest of the crew was 20-30min late.

As I was rifling thru my bag, I realized I'd forgotten socks. Quick call to the guy running the race team I'm the 'mechanic' for is bringing an extra pair for the race. That only leaves getting my pic taken in hiking socks. Hey! Waitaminit! There's Alex and her BF Jaime... Sure nuff. She had some 'not really girly' socks for me.

Hop in the car and blast the 50-60mi to the race. ...and Google maps tries to run me (and lots of other guys) into the park the wrong way. Hadta navigate my way round only to miss the turn into the park proper and hadta make a u-turn. Turns out (I found out on the way out later) that its a 1-way street. Good thing there wasn't anyone trying to get out!

So I proceed to schlep my stand, toolbag, cooler, and cycling clothes bag the 3/4mi or so to where the 'team cars' are. ...where I can't go cause there's already a Van Dessel 'team car' in there. Oh well. No sense getting upset, just get on with it.

I'm generally trying to make myself useful to a bunch of people that hasn't had a 'team mechanic' yet this year. IOW they don't know WhoTF I am, much less why I'm there. That changes thru the day.

Men's 55+ race is done so I clean up the bike that was being ridden for the women's race's backup. The guy that runs the team is the exact size of his GF. While I didn't do an exchange for her, I did do one for her teammate. Comes thru the pit area asking for a bike next lap.

Huh?!

Which bike is hers?! Luckily there's only one Van Dessel (Gin and Trombones) with similar parts and a similar name sticker, so I guess and grab it and wait. Sure nuff on the backside part of the course, she comes blasting thru the pit, grabs the spare bike and boogies back down the path. For a first exchange, that didn't go so badly. I probably wanna work on that some tho.

So now I get to clean up 3 bikes real quick and then get ready for my race. I get two of em done and have to get changed.

You all know the old rules about not changing things right before a race? Right? I'm sure you've heard that one plenty of times.

Well, I didn't listen. Changed out the seat and post, as well as running a pair of wheels that I'd never run before with tires I'd only ridden once or twice 3 years ago. Yeah, I didn't quite have the right fit, and I certainly didn't have the right pressures. Oh, and the gears were skipping. How's THAT for a mechanic, huh?!

For my first race in 6 years, I didn't come in last in the Men's 3/4 race. I kept a steady speed and kept picking guys off. Found myself making time on the uphill!

The back side of the course was a tacky mud-fest. Slimy enough to make your wheels slide around, but not wet enough to be 'mud.' Hard to describe really. By the time my race was called (1400hrs) the course was deteriorated significantly. Where in the earlier races there was grass, now it was muddy tape to tape. Real hard to find and keep traction.

Fell over once on the backside of the course as I lost my front end. Tucked under on an uphill, off-camber turn and down I went. Basically at zero kph, but one of my goals was to keep it rubber side down the entire race.

Next weekend's goal is to not get lapped. I got lapped right at 40min so instead of riding that last lap, I had a serious case of the eff-its.

Things to change: warm up. As in actually get one. Right air pressure. Smaller skinsuit. Oh, that reminds me. Last time I wore that skinsuit was racing at the track in Sandy Eggo 6-ish years ago. Its slightly too big now.

Here's hoping next week's race is dryer! That mud is an energy-sapper!

M
Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #21806
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,458
Dumb mountain bike question. Do the shocks / front forks get adjusted like motorcycle? Can you / Do you set sag, compression, rebound, ect.? Are they another money pit to get set up right?

Thanks

Joc
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #21807
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Dumb mountain bike question. Do the shocks / front forks get adjusted like motorcycle? Can you / Do you set sag, compression, rebound, ect.? Are they another money pit to get set up right?
air shocks, you can set the effective spring rate via the pressure. you need a special little high pressure pump, they are like $40 for the Fox one, I think... the Fox Float on my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR Disc (100mm travel front and rear, pretty much a XC trail bike by today's standards), I set the pressure to about my body weight (eg, 220PSI), and the ride is just about optimal. There is a overall damping adjustment, I think the ratio of compression vs rebound damping is fixed at the factory... I set the damping to the bare minimum neccessary to keep it from pogoing on sharp bumps. My bike has spring forks, I had to upgrade the springs to a extra heavy, the spring was about $20 but took freekin' forever to get from the factory as they weren't available for almost a year. the forks have a spring preload screw/knob, along with a damping setting, I keep that preload twisted down pretty hard because I'm a heavy mofo, and again set the damping to the bare minimum that keeps the forks from pogoing. many newer high end mtn bikes have air forks, too, so again you pump up the forks to the correct pressure for your weight. I lube the fork sliders every so often, uses a special little grease pump.

I found after about 5 years, the rear air shock wasn't holding its pressure all day long, so I took it in for a rebuild. I'm afraid I haven't ridden that bike much the past 4-5 years so I dunno how its doing now, I've mostly been riding an unsprung hybrid I built from assorted junk.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #21808
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,458
Thank you sir for the answer to my question..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #21809
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post

Thanks

Joc
Yes.

If you're dealing with Fox, they have about everything you could want to know about their stuff on their website. Rock Shox/SRAM has their's right on the fork. General rule on sag is 25% of total travel. Compression and rebound are just like a motorcycle. No need to pay someone for setup, as you'll immediately feel the changes you've made. It's easy.

As for me, I run my valving at what feels right; smooth and controlled. For sag, I only run enough air to keep from hard bottoming. I bought 130mm of travel and want to use it, which results in more than 25% sag.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #21810
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Got my ride in Sunday morning instead of the cure walk thing. We'll chalk that one up to communications and really terrible websites.
You want my money you need to get your act together on your website.

Anyway, I took off late to avoid the early dampness, and it was cold. Started off wearing an old school racing cape, aka wind jacket. The undersides of the arms are supposed to breathe. They don't enough to be noticed. At 3 miles I was warm to sweat.
Pulled that off and stowed it in my Fred-pack

Then about a mile later ran into Paul. I turned around and rode with him for a bit, he was riding slowly with a new rider so I got some rest. This also reinforced my original plan to take my time and go for an easy ride for 4 to 5 hours.

That didn't last long.

About a half mile after stopping at the rest stop in the park and talking to a couple on a really cool tandem that breaks apart for travel in three cases.
A fast guy comes by. I spin up and catch on. Like a dog chasing a car, I seem unable to NOT chase.

We aren't going really fast, about 19 mph or so. He is holding this really well, and at this stage of my re-heating I'm reluctant to go faster, or shift up. I spin. Finally after about a mile he drops his speed to my more usual 17mph. I pull up beside him and we chat for a bit. Then I take over at the front. I hold the pace at 18 mph for the next minute, then pick up the pace to 19, after another minute I hit 20, (yeah I've forgotten my earlier rule. ). I look back at the hobo-park, (across from the Pond), only to see nobody back there.
Oh well. Off I go. Thinking now I'm only going to ride for 2 hours out then turn back for home. It ended up about two miles later as I was taking the wind full in the face, a kid comes by mashing the big ring.

I'm kinda toasted at this point so I actually don't chase.

But, then I do. By now my rabbit is off at the horizon where the edges of the path converge. I spin and shift my way up to 24 mph, and hold that for a couple of minutes and catch. But, I've gone deep. I had not "turned myself inside out" as Paul Sherwin would comment, but I'd drained off a good bit of reserves.
This kid is motoring too. We are moving along right at 20 mph.
From where I sit the head wind is only a whisper, unless I bob out from my protection. I have no chance taking a pull at the front as this kid is not slowing until after the last short climb back to the top of the levee.
At this point it becomes apparent the kid has been hammering hard and has used up everything. I hold a 17 mph pace as his pace drops rapidly off. I'm figuring he will hang on for recovery.

He doesn't. I notice this after I cross the last bridge before the beach. He is still back there, but looking decidedly second hand. No help coming from back there for me. And now, I'm maybe 2 miles form the beach.

So much for the easy ride or the two hours out and turn.

It only takes a few minutes to get to the restrooms at tower 2. Some Gu, gel with a double shot of the good stuff. Some water and a nature break I'm ready to head back home. The overcast weather has me slightly chilled.

I'd started late enough all the fast riders were gone, so I had myself to myself for the ride back. I was in a good bit of pain by the time I was passing the big "A". Hunger was creeping in too, so I drank more water, more of my nuun juice from the bottle, and kept my spin up to around the 17 mph pace I assume when left on my own.
I stopped by the park for another short nature break and rest in the sun that had finally made an appearance. Sipping some more water and chewing us some Chomps got my now sore and very flat feeling legs back on the path, spinning my way toward home.
I opted for the shallow side of the hill I figured correctly I had very little left.

I pulled into the garage and went looking for a big glass of cold water. And a place to lay down and put my legs up.

Sore and tired.

The ride:

All in all a good ride for the weekend. I sure hope I can get to where I can pull a ride off like that both days of the weekend.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: