Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #21931
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
WOOHOO!! After a full month+ off the bike, I get to resume riding duties again next week. Hope y'all are getting in some good miles lately.
Was doing great then two days of rain and 30mph winds have kinda F'd up this week. I'm gonna do probaby 50 tomorrow, then sunday starts a new week.

Met a guy down the street from me who does coaching also, mostly guys like you a little older racers and Vets, Masters. interesting conversation.

Any way I'm glad your gonna be riding again,Did the running help clear your mind. or what ever it was supposed to do.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #21932
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Was doing great then two days of rain and 30mph winds have kinda F'd up this week. I'm gonna do probaby 50 tomorrow, then sunday starts a new week.

Met a guy down the street from me who does coaching also, mostly guys like you a little older racers and Vets, Masters. interesting conversation.

Any way I'm glad your gonna be riding again,Did the running help clear your mind.
It doesn't help with working out my daily stresses like I can on the bike, but it was a decent substitute. I'm just happy to get back in the saddle again. Coach has me in the gym three days a week as well. Gyms are such a money racket!!
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #21933
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
It doesn't help with working out my daily stresses like I can on the bike, but it was a decent substitute. I'm just happy to get back in the saddle again. Coach has me in the gym three days a week as well. Gyms are such a money racket!!
I've got a Plant fitness membership it's cheap , got good equipment ,so if I don't use it all the time it's not really eating up a lot of money.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #21934
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
Tonight was tune up night. Ran out of chain lube about 1/3 of the way through. Swapped seats just for giggles. I'm thinking of riding the big Adventure to coffee early. You know I am a gnarly adventurer.

Then once the sun burns off the gloom, take a pedal.

I have some chores I need to attend to so I need to get the workout in then back on the list.

Thank you sir, may I have another...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #21935
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Doing intervals after eating 'Thai spicy' Pad Thai is not recommended.

M
Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #21936
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Doing intervals after eating 'Thai spicy' Pad Thai is not recommended.

M
It doesn't taste as good the second time.Been there done that. Mexican food, not good as training food either.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #21937
VDirtTommy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
1st time poster on this thread

I got back into road bike riding a couple years ago when the Tour of Missouri came through town. Rode about 800 last summer and then shut it down in heat of July. This year I started riding with a neighbor and one thing led to another and we did our first Century about a month ago in the Tour de Cape. After seeing the Strava app here, I logged our ride today in the Tour de Shawnee in Southern Illinois. The app says 66.1 miles at 14.8 avg. My cycle computer says 67.13 at 15.2. Pretty close I guess.

I tried to embed the link to the ride report in Strava. Any hints on how to do this? I tried it as a link and as a photo.

VDirtTommy screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 03:11 PM
VDirtTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #21938
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDirtTommy View Post
I got back into road bike riding a couple years ago when the Tour of Missouri came through town.
The whole deal surrounding that race's discontinuation is absolute BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDirtTommy View Post
This year I started riding with a neighbor and one thing led to another and we did our first Century about a month ago in the Tour de Cape. After seeing the Strava app here, I logged our ride today in the Tour de Shawnee in Southern Illinois. .
If you like riding southern IL and want to ride a rail-trail, take a look at the Tunnel Hill State Trail. You'll want to start at the southern end. Just know that parking at the Barkhausen Wetlands Center, in Cypress, is restricted to their business hours (gated lot). So, you'll need to park at the trailhead on Franklin Ave, just north of HWY 169, near Carnak, IL. As you get north of New Burnside, the trail starts to parallel RT 45, which is really busy and noisy. But, the southern end is as nice of a trail as I've ever ridden. Also, pay attention to food options, as there's not a lot along the way.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #21939
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I've come in dead fucking last.

I've come in hours behind the last guy.

I've been beaten by little old ladies.

But I've never, ever DNFed a race- and that's something I fight hard to continue.

Still, I usually take preparation beforehand seriously enough and don't take chances with low tire pressures and iffy equipment so I've never even flatted during a race, much less had any sort of mechanical issue.

Still, I come loaded to the gills for any issue. Multitool, multiple tubes if anything over 25 miles, leatherman, zip ties, duct tape, tire levers, patches, and spare master link. On the single speed I'll also throw in a length of chain and an axle wrench/bottle opener (required equipment ).

For air, I only carry a cheap frame mounted pump these days. It probably weighs the same as a couple of CO2 cartridges, and you're not completely screwed if one misfires. Plus my penchant for things like 29x2.55 tires kind of dictate it. That's like 2 CO2 cartridges just to get one of those suckers rideable.
Learned this from another inmate here - Another trick is to carry a small piece of milk carton plastic cut into the shape of the radius of the tire. If you cut a sidewall it can be inserted between the tube and the tire so the tube won't pop out when inflating.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #21940
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Bike Seat Advice

I am planning on riding RAGBRAI next year on my mountain bike. After a 30 mile ride last weekend there is no doubt that a different seat is needed. I did a quick search and the gel seats look like what I need. Anyone have any experience with gel seats? Any other suggestions?
TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #21941
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallRacing View Post
I am planning on riding RAGBRAI next year on my mountain bike. After a 30 mile ride last weekend there is no doubt that a different seat is needed. I did a quick search and the gel seats look like what I need. Anyone have any experience with gel seats? Any other suggestions?

To not answer your question.
Brooks B-17
Get it broken in before hand.
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #21942
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
I can't imagine doing that on a MTB. Be sure to swap to street rubber, as that'll really help efficiency. AFA seats go, I run a WTB Speed V Gel on my MTB and a Brooks B17 Imperial, soaked in neatsfoot oil, on my road bike. I'm just sitting thinking about RAGBRAI on a MTB.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #21943
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
It doesn't taste as good the second time.Been there done that. Mexican food, not good as training food either.

Add pizza and tuna sandwiches to the list of things 'not to eat before a race.' I'll add that my lower intestines were pissed at me this AM. That Thai spicy really did a number on my digestive tract. In fact, its still a little upset 'down there.'

So I managed to hit most of my goals. Sorta. To recap: not get lapped, not crash, get a good start, beat my teammate. So I was WAY in front of my teammate, I was trying to latch onto the back of a big group 5-10sec in front of me, and I got a decent start.

Then with a lap and a half left in the race I managed to screw up a remount and the bike landed on the drive side. Dropped the chain. Saddle was crooked. Right shifter was off too. Got all that fixt and I got back on the bike and...

...chain is skipping! WTF?!

Evidently I landed smack dab on my derailleur hanger and bent it.

DNF

That's the last time I go to a race without both bikes there. I thought about bringing the Crosshairs, but with the seatpost and saddle being new to the bike and no pedals installed, I left it home.

Won't make *that* particular mistake again.

Its not like I was racing for a placing, but I *was* still racing. I got stuck in the very back of the pack so I knew I wasn't gonna win, place, or even get top 10-20. I DID want to do as well as I could and hammer as much as possible. That last bit I did in spades. I remember thinking 'I'm getting tired and sloppy, I'll start popping out with both feet for these barriers...' Then BAM!

The course was nothing too spectacular. Soft ground = power sucking = better have some oomph in your legs to get thru with any semblance of speed. I did for a bit, then realized that there wasn't anyone within 'striking distance' so started to back off a bit here and there.

In my warmup, my legs were feeling somewhat dead. Didn't want to put out power. Seems that adding 'Riders ready.... Go!' to the mix means that I can push past the nasties in my legs and hammer. Hafta remember that for next time. (If you're wondering, Jens Voigt is my inspiration 'Shut up legs! Pedal!)

Had a barley pop, ate the sammich I brought with me, and fought traffic back thru DC so I didn't have to sit in beltway traffic. I don't know which was worse!

I'm beat. Is it nap time yet?!

M
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #21944
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yeah. Stay away from the gel seats. Softer IS NOT better.

They get to squishing up into spots that don't want pressure on em and that gets worse.

Ride more. Ride in bicycle shorts. If you're riding in bike shorts now, get better shorts. They're not a cure-all, but they help.

M
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #21945
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I can't imagine doing that on a MTB. Be sure to swap to street rubber, as that'll really help efficiency. AFA seats go, I run a WTB Speed V Gel on my MTB and a Brooks B17 Imperial, soaked in neatsfoot oil, on my road bike. I'm just sitting thinking about RAGBRAI on a MTB.
Thanks for the tip. Kinda of new to the bicycle thing, why do you think it will be so tough on a MTB?
TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: