Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #21931
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I rode my first Mt. Bike race today. Ended up 5th out of 11 in the vets novice class. 12 miles 1:42...

Gonna do more? A couple of really cool races up here that are probably worth the drive.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #21932
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,573
Cross race #3 in the bag. 60th out of 101

I probably would have been in the 40s if I hadn't gone down twice and had chain suck a lap later.

First one was a stoopit overlapping wheels kind of thing. Toppled over as the guy in front of me stood and his wheel went backwards. I was carrying more speed thru the corner... Whoops.

Second was on the uphill that I'd ridden in the practice lap. Got to the first log without enough momentum and toppled over again. Ran the uphill AND downhill after that.

Third one was nasty chain suck after the downhill/mud pit when I dropped my bike instead of placing it on the ground.

...oh, AND I got lapped! Granted it was right at the end of the race, but still.

So in short, I failed at all 3 goals for the weekend.

On the other hand, when I was going, I was going fairly well. The biggest thing I did differently was I tried to get a couple of hard pedal strokes out of every corner whether I had to slow for the next corner or not. Seemed to help. Course, my legs certainly felt it towards the end.

Couple of random thoughts: being at the back of a 101-man field = not gonna win.

Not warming up = not gonna win

Drinking an adult beverage while you're in the pits BEFORE you race = nogo

I still have no bidness being in the Men's 3/4 field, but it works for the 'team mechanic' gig so I'll keep at it. I think I could probably do fairly well in the Men's 4 or Masters 3/4 field. They're both at the wrong time for me.

Tubulars rock!

So far, I haven't seen the need for deep-section carbon wheels in cross. There's just not that much straightaway to get up to those kinds of speeds.

Did I mention tubulars rock?!

Next weekend is the big UCI race in Delaware. We'll see how that goes.

M
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #21933
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

http://vimeo.com/30116250

Part of the course yesterday.

The big creek was mud yesterday. Axle deep stuff where there was a crowd egging people to ride it.

Every person I heard of that tried ended up burying their front wheel and endo-ing into the mud. You could hear the cheers across the entire course. You just KNOW that if there's a crowd like that, they just wanna see you biff it. No thanks.

M
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #21934
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Cripes that's a lot of running.

Check again, are you sure you didn't enter a duathlon?

Starting this year, our local series has actually started doing stuff resembling a proper CX course. Meaning something that a mountain bike can't win on.

Figures though, that this is the year I started racing a mountain bike.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #21935
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post

Starting this year, our local series has actually started doing stuff resembling a proper CX course. Meaning something that a mountain bike can't win on.

I guess I *could* have ridden the downhill but I'd seen it and figgered that running it was safer than riding it when you're redlining. Turns out I was right.

...and yeah, it was a lot of running. Took me a hundred meters to get the HR and breathing back under control.

M
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #21936
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
http://vimeo.com/30116250

Part of the course yesterday.
That don't look like fun at all. Spectating is where it's at.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #21937
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,210
So this is my primary blingtacular mtn bike for the last 5 years...

My ten y/o Cannondale Jeckyll was converted to my cross/road bike with skinny tires when i got the Ibis.
I've been lusting for a blingtacular hardtail rigid fork disc brake road/cross bike for some time.
The Eastern trail is coming along very nicely here around me and i've enjoyed combining the bike path with back roads and ocean views.

Anywhoo, my LBS has a brandynew 2009 Fisher Superfly which origionally retailed for something 4K,
SRAM X.0, Avid Juicy Ultimates, XT cranks and Bontrager stuff.
They've offered to switch out the Fox fork for a White Bros carbon rigid, remove front derailur/shifter
and convert the 3 front rings to a single ring for 2.5k!
Currently it weighs just shy of 24lbs...thinkin it could/should be around 20 or less with these changes?
Prolly switch to a skinnier cross type tire for more weight savings.

Too good to pass up?
Or should I save my pennies and get the custom bling later on down the road?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #21938
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post
So this is my primary blingtacular mtn bike for the last 5 years...
Anywhoo, my LBS has a brandynew 2009 Fisher Superfly which origionally retailed for something 4K,
They've offered to switch out the Fox fork for a White Bros carbon rigid, remove front derailur/shifter
Currently it weighs just shy of 24lbs...thinkin it could/should be around 20 or less with these changes?
I think you might to 22 lbs if those white bros forks are -really- light, but 20? fat chance.

a quick google says that a typical White Bros carbon fork is 771 grams. a typcal fox float is maybe 1400 grams, so thats 700 grams savings, or 1.5 lbs. the front derailleur weighs nearly nothing, as does the rings.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #21939
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I think you might to 22 lbs if those white bros forks are -really- light, but 20? fat chance.

a quick google says that a typical White Bros carbon fork is 771 grams. a typcal fox float is maybe 1400 grams, so thats 700 grams savings, or 1.5 lbs. the front derailleur weighs nearly nothing, as does the rings.
^^^ Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post

Too good to pass up?
Or should I save my pennies and get the custom bling later on down the road?
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Doing that to a Superfly results in a bike that's not really good at anything, The Superfly is a really good XC MTB and that's it. It was designed for a singular purpose. Make sense?

If you're looking for an all-around/CX bike, there's a whole lot better options out there for a lot less money, especially eBay.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #21940
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That don't look like fun at all. Spectating is where it's at.
They were talking about how New Belgium had 4 kegs of beer to kill after the Men's A race.

If I didn't have to drive 90min home, I woulda helped em with that problem.

edited to add: buddy of mine has a Med 1x9 29er he's looking to unload for ~$300. I know its got X.0 in the back, disc brakes in the front, and its blue.

M
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #21941
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ Agreed.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Doing that to a Superfly results in a bike that's not really good at anything, The Superfly is a really good XC MTB and that's it. It was designed for a singular purpose. Make sense?
Not sure myself
Basically a mtn biker that's finding road riding and dirt roads/bike paths an interesting mix.

A CX bike is prolly exactly what i should have.
Not sure that i'm ready for drop bars or rim brakes.

I really enjoy disks, flat bars and...get ready...flat pedals!
Haven't clipped in yet...most likely won't anytime soon

Looking for a semi~light mtn flavored anykindaroad typebike
Thought crossifying a really good XC bike would be a good starting platform.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #21942
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:

Yea that one guy really put distance on the guy riding.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #21943
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:

Gonna do more? A couple of really cool races up here that are probably worth the drive.
There is another nearby race the 23rd, last of the season. I'm doin it for shure.

I'm building a bike rack for the Quota, that should make events further away more appealing...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #21944
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
After months of stewing and at least two false starts, I finally did go buy a bike. Even better, actually, my girlfriend and I both got bikes, and we've been on a coupla rides together already.

In the short term, the vast majority of my riding will be on paved "Rails to Trails" routes near my home, while I rehab my leg. In the long term, however, and what I chose to optimize the bike choice for, was riding the same fire service roads that I always enjoyed riding the KTM(s) on. Against the advice of several of you here, I bought a rigid rear 29er mountain bike after all.

So far, I'm having a great time riding - rode 21.2 miles on the Silver Comet Trail this morning, the last 3-4 of those being perhaps a bit too much. I'll know better how badly I overdid it tomorrow or Wednesday. I do expect to do a couple of rides of at least that distance per week, increasing as my strength and endurance improve, and hopefully helping this mangled leg regain some strength.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post to thank you folks for the ongoing discussion that I've learned quite a bit from, and for the specific advice from those of you who offered it (regardless whether I followed your suggestion).
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #21945
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Any of you guys know much about the TREK Rig?

The SS 29er bug is starting to bite again.
I had one of the originals and I loved it. The only thing that bothered me was the side to side flex at the BB. After 4 seasons and 3 Mohican 100's it failed where the chain stay connects to the BB. Supposedly the newer ones are better built down there.

Trek replaced it with a brand new frame, however they were out of aluminum frames so I was sent a carbon frame. However, I've only gotten to ride it once since then on a 25 mile single track loop and I love it even more than the original. I just hope I don't crash it and crack it from an impact that aluminum would just have dented.

Looking to clean out the garage so if any of you taller gents are interested in a 21" Fisher Paragon complete bike or a 60cm BMC SL01 F/F or a set of Zipp 909 disc wheelset, don't reply, send me a PM

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: