ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #21961
Hakatan
quality > quantity
 
Hakatan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Perusing my Colorado Benchmark...
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I just use my Nuvi 550 on a ram mount on my handle bars.
Another option Meathead -- if you're carrying a smart phone anyway and just want a GPS to track your progress (as opposed to use it for routing during your ride) -- would be to download a free app like "my tracks" I've found it perfect on my Droid for recording my average and max speed/distance/elevation gain etc. on local mountain bike rides.

After your ride you can view your track in GoogleEarth, share it, save it, etc. It's a bit of a battery hog, so I wouldn't recommend it for an all day m/c ride...but for a couple hour mountain bike ride it's been perfect for me.

For turn-by-turn directions, I've had some success using the GoogleMaps feature on my phone with the volume turned up and the phone sitting in a rear pocket. I bet there are handlebar mounts too, but I'm too cheap for that I can't pre-load a track onto it like on my 60Cx, but my bicycle rides usually aren't so ambitious that I cannot remember the few turns required -- and GoogleMaps will auto re-calculate the route too.

Have fun.
__________________
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood." -- Daniel Burnham
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #21962
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tip toe-ing thru the muddy patch

M
Add me to the "no thanks" group. It looks like you're running across a freshly plowed field carrying a bicycle .
I know cycling usually includes an element of suffering that we actually look for, but throw in mud/cold and I'd rather stay home....
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #21963
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan View Post
Another option Meathead -- if you're carrying a smart phone anyway and just want a GPS to track your progress (as opposed to use it for routing during your ride) -- would be to download a free app like "my tracks" I've found it perfect on my Droid for recording my average and max speed/distance/elevation gain etc. on local mountain bike rides.

After your ride you can view your track in GoogleEarth, share it, save it, etc. It's a bit of a battery hog, so I wouldn't recommend it for an all day m/c ride...but for a couple hour mountain bike ride it's been perfect for me.

For turn-by-turn directions, I've had some success using the GoogleMaps feature on my phone with the volume turned up and the phone sitting in a rear pocket. I bet there are handlebar mounts too, but I'm too cheap for that I can't pre-load a track onto it like on my 60Cx, but my bicycle rides usually aren't so ambitious that I cannot remember the few turns required -- and GoogleMaps will auto re-calculate the route too.

Have fun.
I'll second the Google maps on an android. Works for most of what a GPS does.

If you want to get fancy, the Garmin 800 computer is slick. Has turn by turn, as well as ANT+ which is what the HR monitors and power meters use to talk to their computers. Spendy tho. I'd bet that you could figger out a way to get it mounted on a moto if you wanted to. Small, light, doesn't eat batteries *too* quickly.

If you just have mapmyride installed on your smart phone, it won't give you turn by turn, but it'll download to your computer later and you can see hills, turns, etc. Upload to strava and 'race' your neighbors.

I usually know WhereTF I am and WhereTF I'm going, so its somewhat less important for me. I just have a Cateye Strada on the bike and awaaaay I go!

AFA 'running across a muddy field' That was a creek in the preview video. A day of racing thru it turned it into a quagmire almost knee deep in spots. It was in the 70s Sunday. Great weather to romp thru the mud! It was cold, damp, and nasty the weekend before. Even more mud then! Great for racing in. Sucked misery goats to spectate in.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #21964
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
another GPS option would be the 60CSx or cousins.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #21965
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Sooo, having spent some time traveling on mc's and quite a bit in my truck, both with GPS units at hand, I've grown accustomed to having a GPS in front of me, tracking my progress both on a map and with trip odo's, etc. I'll also admit to being a big fan of Garmin, which is to acknowledge I really haven't shopped any other brands yet. As far as I can tell, the only mapping GPS is the now discontinued Edge 705 - the rest are simply trip computers and heart-rate, cadence, etc. displays. Is that right? Does anyone have any input or insight on or as to why it's stupid of me to want that?
The 705 ain't all that. It won't show any road less than a county road, meaning the road has a numeric marker. I ride a lot of gravel and dirt. Those roads don't show and the Garmin doesn't learn them. I'd never buy another. IDK if the 800 is better. Oh yeah, the search function (restaurants, gas, etc) sucks.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #21966
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,118
Same route tonight as last, but a little slower. Got a tow about halfway past the park on the way home. I even held on to his wheel on the short climb. Then he turned off up YLB, and I headed for my hill.



This is beginning to feel really good. Family weekend coming up so my riding goes on the back burner, but I should be able to sneak in a run.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #21967
Meathead
tin man
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The 705 ain't all that. It won't show any road less than a county road, meaning the road has a numeric marker. I ride a lot of gravel and dirt. Those roads don't show and the Garmin doesn't learn them. I'd never buy another. IDK if the 800 is better. Oh yeah, the search function (restaurants, gas, etc) sucks.
That's kinda what I was hoping to figure out. I found a site that has some surplus 705's, and was thinkin' I'd just buy that, but when I really started lookin', it didn't look like much. Thanks, 'nut (and everybody else who chimed in).


To be honest, I'm reluctant to use my phone in this capacity, 'cause if there's a single person on the planet who can catch a huge wad of mud or the day's only drop of rain in the one place that'll kill the phone, I'm that guy. I'd rather spend a coupla hundred on a bike-specific computer and avoid that debacle altogether.

I was thinkin' I'd like to have a power meter but, as noted, I've discovered they're seriously spendy. I think the speed, cadence, and heart rate monitor are gonna be plenty of info. Also as mentioned, I don't ride far enough to ever get to where I don't really know where I am anyway, so I'll just get over the compulsion to know my location with GPS-ish precision.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #21968
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
That's kinda what I was hoping to figure out. I found a site that has some surplus 705's, and was thinkin' I'd just buy that, but when I really started lookin', it didn't look like much. Thanks, 'nut (and everybody else who chimed in).


To be honest, I'm reluctant to use my phone in this capacity, 'cause if there's a single person on the planet who can catch a huge wad of mud or the day's only drop of rain in the one place that'll kill the phone, I'm that guy. I'd rather spend a coupla hundred on a bike-specific computer and avoid that debacle altogether.

I was thinkin' I'd like to have a power meter but, as noted, I've discovered they're seriously spendy. I think the speed, cadence, and heart rate monitor are gonna be plenty of info. Also as mentioned, I don't ride far enough to ever get to where I don't really know where I am anyway, so I'll just get over the compulsion to know my location with GPS-ish precision.
Shove the 276c in your back pocket...

AFA the rest? I can send you a computer that only tells time. ...and then it resets at 59:59! Don't need all that fancy-assed shit.

If you can talk and its a hard day, go harder. If you can't talk and its an easy day slow yer ass down. Easy.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #21969
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I just use my Nuvi 550 on a ram mount on my handle bars. I didn't have the ball mounted tight enough on the bars this last weekend, though. I ended up sticking it in my pocket. It still worked, just had to stop, pull it out and look at it. Mainly, I used it to record the ride.

Anyone know how to load the tracks to my mac?
Sure, get a PC

Sorry, the devil made me do it.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #21970
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired
 
Hotspice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Snow-Bound
Oddometer: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Sooo, having spent some time traveling on mc's and quite a bit in my truck, both with GPS units at hand, I've grown accustomed to having a GPS in front of me, tracking my progress both on a map and with trip odo's, etc.
MH, When I started riding this year I had issues with my bike computer and since I had a 60csx sitting around doing nothing I used that on my bike. I also used/use IMapMyRun to record my rides. It gives me the route on Google Maps, pace, calories, and elevation.

I've since retired the 60csx and moved over to a Garmin Forerunner 305 because I wanted a heart rate monitor in addition to what I already had.

__________________
Cyclenutz.com motorcycle accessories

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #21971
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 31,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Sure, get a PC

Sorry, the devil made me do it.
I have my old Dell in the closet, I'll have to dig it out and try it.
__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #21972
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,118
REI sell a case that is waterproof and touch screen friendly. I've been using a sandwich bag for my iPhone4.
I've tried several tracking applications,
On the Droid I had I used Sports Tracker Live. That cost $9.95/yr. Works pretty well.
On the iPhone I've used Map My Ride, free, and not that great for what I want.
Sports Tracker on the iPhone works fine, and I've used it mainly for running.
Recently I began using Strava, also free.
I like it the best so far. The map interface is pretty good.

Strava information:
Strava

It says it works as long as you have GPS signal.

Bag:

I thihk I like this one the best.
Bag



All the apps I've tried have pay services and extra gear you can buy to gather more data, cadence, heart rate monitors, power meters.
Since I'm cheap, I've stayed with the free stuff.
I monitor my resting pulse using a heart rate app, only the free part.
With the smartphone as long as I've had cell service I have good tracking.
When off in the weeds with no cell service, the smartphone is useless as a GPS, for tracking I don't know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
That's kinda what I was hoping to figure out. I found a site that has some surplus 705's, and was thinkin' I'd just buy that, but when I really started lookin', it didn't look like much. Thanks, 'nut (and everybody else who chimed in).


To be honest, I'm reluctant to use my phone in this capacity, 'cause if there's a single person on the planet who can catch a huge wad of mud or the day's only drop of rain in the one place that'll kill the phone, I'm that guy. I'd rather spend a coupla hundred on a bike-specific computer and avoid that debacle altogether.

I was thinkin' I'd like to have a power meter but, as noted, I've discovered they're seriously spendy. I think the speed, cadence, and heart rate monitor are gonna be plenty of info. Also as mentioned, I don't ride far enough to ever get to where I don't really know where I am anyway, so I'll just get over the compulsion to know my location with GPS-ish precision.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 10:05 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #21973
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 222
I have used the free Endomondo app while cycling with fairly good results, and i have a bluetooth HRM that connects with to my Android phone. I generally keep my phone in a zip lok bag in my seat pack, but I got drenched on the MS Ride I did about a month ago and my phone got fried. Having to shell out the insurance deductible on my phone was a little bittersweet and made me want a dedicated Garmin handlebar mount unit.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #21974
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 13,059
How Do I Quantify Wind?

I've been doing intervals recently. I'll ride a mile at a time over 20 mph, and half miles over 22 mph. (Yeah, I'm slow.) That's all fine and good until the slightest puff of headwind stops me in my tracks. It really brings me down. I've been trying to come up with a way to quantify the effect of wind, so I can adjust my interval speed when I have a headwind, or tailwind for that matter. Is there a simple formula, like a 5 mph wind will cost you 1 mph of speed, or something like that?

Thanks,
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #21975
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I've been doing intervals recently. I'll ride a mile at a time over 20 mph, and half miles over 22 mph. (Yeah, I'm slow.) That's all fine and good until the slightest puff of headwind stops me in my tracks. It really brings me down. I've been trying to come up with a way to quantify the effect of wind, so I can adjust my interval speed when I have a headwind, or tailwind for that matter. Is there a simple formula, like a 5 mph wind will cost you 1 mph of speed, or something like that?

Thanks,
Tip 1: its about the effort, not about the speed. 2. get a power meter

If you don't have a power meter or HR monitor or other device to quantify your efforts (I don't either) you need to make it so that you're going X hard. I use a 1-10 scale. Say I want to go 10sec all out, well, for that 10sec you'd better be doing 10-level efforts! The longer you go, the lower that intensity level is. 3-5min efforts are somewhere around 80-90% of max. 10-20min efforts are less than that. etc.

The nice thing about power meters is you can decide I want to do 300w for X min. You know immediately if you fall below 300w. Without, you're guessing. I still guess. I'm waiting for cleat-based power so I can use the same pair of shoes across my fleet of bikes.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014