Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #22396
Roadstergal
Can't touch the ground.

Oddometer: 95
You are hardcore!

I left the Midwest for California; 'cold' doesn't have the same meaning here. (Sorry for the crap phone pic.)

Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #22397
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Facicles!

Nice!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #22398
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
How'd it ride in hard-pack?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #22399
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Askel- that Pugs looks frakking sweet in white!

It was 75 deg. here today, went for a road ride with a good bunch of folks. The Scott is a pretty competent road bike with the proper tires and the new saddle worked out well. The ride itself was pretty strenuous compared to my usual fare to say the least...like a Best Of episode of "This Old Pain Cave".

Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #22400
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I left the Midwest for California; 'cold' doesn't have the same meaning here.
You, and my sister. She bailed for San Francisco too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
How'd it ride in hard-pack?
Pretty damn good. Tried studded tires last winter and was underwhelmed. We never get really pure ice, just a lot of packed snow and crufty old frozen snow with maybe a few patches of ice, but still rough surfaces.

Ran into a lot of that today, and even some glare ice. At 10psi, the pugs just went. Granted, I didn't really put the touque down, but the setup is pretty versatile for a wide range of conditions. Especially if it's cold. Facing a warm up again starting tomorrow- the Pugs certainly does better in the cold than it does in the mild...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #22401
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233

[IMG][/IMG]
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #22402
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Pretty damn good. Tried studded tires last winter and was underwhelmed. We never get really pure ice, just a lot of packed snow and crufty old frozen snow with maybe a few patches of ice, but still rough surfaces.

Ran into a lot of that today, and even some glare ice. At 10psi, the pugs just went. Granted, I didn't really put the touque down, but the setup is pretty versatile for a wide range of conditions. Especially if it's cold. Facing a warm up again starting tomorrow- the Pugs certainly does better in the cold than it does in the mild...

The only bad thing i ever heard bad about 'em is that they didn't do so well in hard-pack or ice.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #22403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
No passing on this stretch of course!

M
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #22404
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
No passing on this stretch of course!

M
I would rather fall off there, than here.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #22405
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,936
Windy and rain

Short ride today with big winds out of the west. Of course, the first few miles were into the teeth of the wind and on a stretch where I can hit 31-32 mph on smaller hills, I struggled to 25. When I hit the turnaround to go back to the east, once I cleared the hills that I just came down, it was gonna be a fun stretch.

There were two cyclists making adjustments at the turnaround. One pulled out about a minute behind me and I didn't see when the other one left. The first immediately behind me caught me about 100 yards from the top of the final hill. He was a big strong looking guy so I didn't feel too badly. The second guy didn't catch me until I hit a light but.... I had some fun with him first.

As I topped the hill that I just mentioned, it's very slight hills up and down for about six miles. At the end of that six miles, I had to slow for a light as I turned due south and the other rider came up behind me. We made the turn and I started out building speed slowly and was maintaining 20 without too much trouble.

We've on the Indian reservation now and the road is fairly new and there's no traffic. You can literally take up the entire road if you want so when I made a 90-degree turn to the east, I took it wide and didn't stop peddling. Now I have the wind full on my back again. The other rider eased behind me so I stepped it up to 27 and opened a nice gap. I eased off to allow him to catch up and when he came up behind me, I stepped it up to 27-28 and opened another gap. I'm *not* fast - it was the wind...but I sure enjoyed myself.

We came up on another 90-degree turn and again, I took it wide again and didn't slow down. This also gave me more room. About a mile down this stretch, there's a traffic light. I knew that if I slowed down, the sensors would "see" me and give me the light. They're very sensitive - but I also knew he'd catch me at that point because I have to go slow enough to trip the light and give it time to change. I entered the intersection as it changed but gave him a "clear left". He had timed it well as to not slow too much and we rode through together & started talking.

He was very complimentary - "you're very smooth", "you set a nice pace", "I though you had a motor since I couldn't see any movement", etc. I appreciated that.
Most of the other cyclists around here are very nice guys - quick to say good morning, safe ride, etc.

I had planned on riding around to a particular store that's about 30-miles away but the clouds were building and it was raining ever so slightly. I had checked the radar before I left hoping to avoid the rain but I knew there were clouds moving from the southwest and some were producing rain. The wind wasn't showing any signs of slowing either. I decided to cut it short and go back home knowing that I'd fight the wind for the long return stretch.

All things considered, it was a very good, reasonably quick (considering the wind) 23 mile ride.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #22406
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,044
I had fully intended to ride today. I'd worked Saturday to shoulder ahead the latest little issue into the next slot. But, as luck and an old beat up body would have things, I woke before dawn with back spasms. Lovely.

I didn't need this and tried to re-position in bed to make them go away. That didn't work and I finally got up just as the sky began to lighten and braved the relative chill to slap on of those icey-hot pads across my lower back, then back to bed. I had all I could do to stand long enough to get the thing plastered on.

I must have slept, as I was groggy when I opened my eyes to a day-lit room. I could stand now, and walk. But not well.
I decided coffee and maybe some time on a firmer foundation might help. I dressed warmly and headed to the kitchen. A triple shot americano two eggs over easy some yogurt and a banana and I was feeling not too terrible propped up in a leather club chair in the front room sun.
Now, I know why the cats like this spot. One more cup of the good stuff and I was beginning to feel like I might survive. I thought about a short ride, and even got out to the garage. When I reached up for the bike, I knew getting the bike down and riding were not in the cards today. So, back into the house to a warm, sunny spot on the floor with my legs up was the drill for the remaining morning. By afternoon I could walk around and even bend to do stuff. So I did stuff. I got my accumulation of motorcycle wet gear sorted back to their proper hiding places, pulled the hard drive I had never used form my old computer and installed it in my wife's to stall purchase of replacements. Her C-drive is a whopping 30 gig.
And that spare drive is a whopping 110gig.
I'm hoping to get some running in later in the week and then some good long easy rides between Christmas and New Years. If its wet I'll take the mountain bike, dry I'll get on the Roubaix. If there is time, I'll start pulling the Pinarello apart. There are nearly a thousand emails I need to sort form the inbox of my work account, so the holiday will be a busy one.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #22407
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I'd better be the last one on that run, other wise the guy behind me is gonna have to slide through a trail of poo the entire way.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #22408
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post

I'm totally out on riding that.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #22409
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,182
Test, test and test.....

MB ride on cell-phone GPS app to Google maps:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...218c1f29d88eac

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...4103400eb69113

PS Working with a non-member friend to see if these links work.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #22410
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,981
Old Men, Fat People, and Women ...

That's who was in the group that dropped me like a bad burrito on Saturday morning. I just suck at this.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: