User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #22411
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
I'm with ducnut on this. I wouldn't even walk there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I would rather fall off there, than here.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #22412
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Didya know you can pinch-flat a 28c Gatorskin? Neither did I till I did it today!

85psi and I'm riding on a rim with a floppy tire. Musta hit that *one rock* just right on the dirt road I was riding.

M
Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #22413
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

My Airborne just sold. Yay! That means I only paid $190 for the fork that I took off it!

Oh well. I had a non-paying SOB on the frame so I re-listed it. Got $60 more than I did the last time.

No complaints overall.

Frame's headed to Taos. Wish it luck!

M
Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #22414
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I went out with a buddy who happens to be a race promoter today. Went out RIDING!

Hopped over to my local park to show him my thoughts on a cyclocross race course. He was impressed. Park has a pair of soccer/football fields and a quartet of baseball/softball fields and a horse trail to play around on. Should be a fun race if/when I get things rolling. Now to convince PW Co Parks that I'm not gonna tear up their precious fields, to see if they'll let me race on the horse trail (doubt it), to get a date on the MABRA/VA series calendar(s), and to figger out WTF I'm doing otherwise. That's the easy part. Coming up with the $2k or so in hard costs to actually put on the race = tougher. Good thing I have till next fall!

I think I can figger out a way to run 3-5 races in the park without duplicating the same course twice. (at least 1 is gonna be the first course backwards tho)

Did I mention that it hit somewhere close to 60 here today? I was way overdressed!

M
Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #22415
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Celebrated the first day of my vacation with a 2:32 ride out to the dam and back. There was a steady north wind, but I was able to somewhat hide from it in the river canyon on the way up. No complaints about the tailwind on the way home.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #22416
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
A question for the experts.I consider myself a high beginer low intermediate rider .And I want to move up.I've ridden rail trails for years.Now I'm riding more and more roads.When I'd ride rail trails I mostly used the middle chain ring and would work through the cassettte.Now I'm doing more climbs .Question when I'm starting a climb I hit it hard in the middle chainring and small rear gear and shift down as I continue to climb when I'm im the largest rear gear what is my next option now I shift to the small chainring but i'm in a lower gear than I want to be.What is the proper way to smoothly keep in the gear you need to be in.
Thanks for any tips to improve my riding.Lost 35lbs.in the last year do to riding.My motorcycling has taken a back seat since I started bicycling more.5more lbs. and I'm under 200 target 182.
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #22417
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
as I continue to climb when I'm im the largest rear gear what is my next option now I shift to the small chainring but i'm in a lower gear than I want to be.What is the proper way to smoothly keep in the gear you need to be in.
If you're going from one chainring to another, you need to shift back down the cassette a few gears (physically smaller gears) to balance out things.

If you're running a 34/50 combo its usually 3 shifts harder when you drop from big to little chainrings

If you're running 39/53 its usually 2 shifts. Triples are usually fairly similar to this.

Good luck! (now buy my Roubaix! )

M
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #22418
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If you're going from one chainring to another, you need to shift back down the cassette a few gears (physically smaller gears) to balance out things.

If you're running a 34/50 combo its usually 3 shifts harder when you drop from big to little chainrings

If you're running 39/53 its usually 2 shifts. Triples are usually fairly similar to this.

Good luck! (now buy my Roubaix! )

M
Thanks for the reply Gummee.I've tried this method but it doesn't seem smooth .Do you shift down before you go to the small chainring or after you are on the small ring.I guess I just need to practice.I feel all out of sorts going lower than higher.
I'm riding a Sirrus with a triple.I'm going to move up to a full road bike but looks like I need a 60 at 6'1".I checked yours out seems like a good deal.
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #22419
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
Thanks for the reply Gummee.I've tried this method but it doesn't seem smooth .Do you shift down before you go to the small chainring or after you are on the small ring.I guess I just need to practice.I feel all out of sorts going lower than higher.
I'm riding a Sirrus with a triple.I'm going to move up to a full road bike but looks like I need a 60 at 6'1".I checked yours out seems like a good deal.
Smooth is relative. Its about the only way to get what you want. You can sorta do it all at the same time if everything's adjusted right.

Gotta play with the shifting...

Oh, and remember: shift out of the bigger ring BEFORE you need it. IOW you can see the hill coming, right? Do all your shifting BEFORE you get bogged down. If you're running in the big ring, shift a few gears harder in the back, drop to the inner ring, and THEN start going easier in the back as you hit the hill.

Saves wear and tear. Saves you from dropping chains. Saves your knees.

M
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #22420
Cavernous
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Wicked My Stable

85' De Rosa by Steel Lugged, on Flickr

LOTOJA 2006 by Steel Lugged, on Flickr

COLNAGO by Steel Lugged, on Flickr

Klein -- Day Tour by Steel Lugged, on Flickr

3Rensho -- VI by Steel Lugged, on Flickr

KALAVINKA III by Steel Lugged, on Flickr
Cavernous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #22421
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Nice pile of bikes.

I used to ride with a buddy who had a pile of Colnago's and a Master in the bunch.
I still like the look and feel of those old Italian steel lugged race bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernous View Post
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #22422
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

The week and year are winding down. Finally all the extra hours, darkness and exhaustion on both ends of my days comes to an end in just one more day.
Friday morning I'm going to get up make a breakfast, pack the bike and head off down the trail. I'll see how far fat and a triple shot americano can get me. I hope to squeeze in several more rides before the kid with the diaper slips through the door.

I feel better about my fitness this year than I did this time last year. I've had a load more time here in the sun to ride, discovered I can run again making travel workouts easier. I'm lighter than I was, but heavier than I have been earlier this winter.

The new year is going to be interesting.
Our accepted definition of adventure being the one where the planning goes pear-shaped takes me to look at the coming year not so much as interesting as yet more of the adventure. Pretty much nothing goes entirely to plan.
So, what the hell? We roll with the punches and try to keep a guard up, maybe limit the damage.

I think my big-picture plan for life exercise is turning out pretty well. Both diet and exercise are getting into a groove. I'm never going to have a working schedule where I can commit to perfectly punctual daily workouts and diets. Again. it is an adventure, so the plan is not some pen/ink sketch, but more of a broad brush watercolor, viewed through an old cracked glass window, and maybe the lighting in the room isn't so good.
Kind of like how I like to plan a motorcycle adventure vacation. "I'm heading that way for now."

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and the whole deal to all.
This thread serves to inspire me to ride, and ride well. Play hard, and remember the fun. I'm thankful for everybody who contributes, the videos of amazing feats, beautiful bike builds and collections and scenes from the saddle.
Back in the day our club rides and solo workouts widened our view a little. This internet thing and particularly this thread spread our view to the horizons of everywhere on earth it seems. And that is pretty damned cool. It's funny how I am again noticing bike lanes and paths when I travel or just run a weekend errand. I seem to have developed this "I can ride there" attitude.

My big goal for cycling for next year is to ride more and weigh less. Maybe a life goal?
I'll try to take more and better photographs, ride a little faster and explore further.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #22423
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
Nice ponies, Cavernous. I really like the Klein.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #22424
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernous View Post

I like your style. Tasteful bags accentuate the bike.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #22425
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Received my new(to me) Giant TT bike the other day and was able to take it for a test run this morning after being fitted and equipped with a computer.

All I can say is H.O.L.E.E.E. CRAP!

Comfy, fast and light! WOW - what a effin' difference from my comfort bike. I see some serious riding in my future.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that I would probably not like the aerobars - but I love them! I like them MUCH better than drop bars with brifters - although, I haven't done any serious miles, yet, either. There are many hand/arm positions available with these bars so I'm happy for now.

I rode about 10 miles and, after not riding since June where my usual average speed was at about 12, I found my average speed around 14.5. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference! Even after not being on the bike for more than 3 months! The gearing is the same on this bike as it is on my dads Le Mond so I think I'll be able to do some hills - maybe not all the time but he sure doesn't have any trouble.

The only things I want to do to this bike is to get a nice, bright light, clip ins and a better seat.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: