Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 503 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #22411
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So what kind of bicycling-related stuff did Santa bring you?

We haven't even opened presents, so I can't post up. I know there's at least something from Dept of Goods and something from Competetive Cyclist under my tree.

M
Arrived a few days ago....

21 pounds....fairly light for a recumbent.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #22412
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,469
So breaking the hell out of my leg on my moto back in August renewed my interest in bicycles. I'm still prohibited from riding until mid-January, but have been riding the stationary bike and getting myself prepared for the return.

First, i needed a trail bike to get my singletrack fix. This ought to do it:

It's a 2009 Commencal Meta 6 with some nice upgrades. Been getting it adjusted to my liking and am really looking forward to trying it out.

I also wanted to try some mild dirt-jumping and really want to try the pump track for exercize. I started looking at bikes for this, then realized I already had a suitable bike. I bought this bike new back in '95 or so. I raced it a bit, beat it up doing "urban" riding, then stuck it in a shed and forgot about it. It's been partially assembled, spray-painted, and generally neglected for many years now. I wasn't sure if I could get it back up to snuff, but i'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far:

1995-ish Bontrager B29 24" cruiser. Made in Wisconsin with True Temper 4130 CR-MO. This bike is unique in that it has a long top tube to fit big guys. Should work really well for my intended use. I plan to upgrade and bling it out a bit. I'm very excited about this bike!
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #22413
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Wore the 150wt wool inner layer (bag from Dept of Goods) on a ride just now. I was overdressed. Oh well. I'm not stopping cause I'm too warm! Did 1:20-ish on the dirt roads round here at tempo or higher.

The other bag was some PRO overshoes. I *think* Mom got em a size big. I'll have to break em out of the bag and try em

M
Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #22414
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So what kind of bicycling-related stuff did Santa bring you?

We haven't even opened presents, so I can't post up. I know there's at least something from Dept of Goods and something from Competetive Cyclist under my tree.

M
A new bike stand from Aldi that was only $AU 40

Does a good job.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #22415
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Looks good, but you want to do yourself a favor and only clamp on the seatposts. AL and Carbon can get fragile.

M
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #22416
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
so I scored some 700c fenders at a clearance sale, want to put them on my 700c hybrid commuter... said bike has some rather fat 38c tires on it, Specialized Nimbus... the fenders are barely as wide as the tread... ya think that will provide adequate coverage (I'm assuming most water and road flug comes off the tire center line), or should I pass these on to a bike that has skinnier tires and find something phatter for my hybrid ?

I've go the front mounted, and I see how I can get the rear to clear but havent' done the neccessary modding yet. I'll maybe take a couple pix later today.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #22417
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so I scored some 700c fenders at a clearance sale, want to put them on my 700c hybrid commuter... said bike has some rather fat 38c tires on it, Specialized Nimbus... the fenders are barely as wide as the tread... ya think that will provide adequate coverage (I'm assuming most water and road flug comes off the tire center line), or should I pass these on to a bike that has skinnier tires and find something phatter for my hybrid ?

I've go the front mounted, and I see how I can get the rear to clear but havent' done the neccessary modding yet. I'll maybe take a couple pix later today.
Generally, 10mm wider fender than actual tire width is what you're looking for. The problem isn't with stationary clearance, but, once you're moving the fenders will shudder/shake and intermittently touch the shoulders of the tread. I've run a 40mm Nokian 240 under a 45mm SKS fender. They do touch, upon bumps, but, nothing major. However, a 28mm Pasella won't work under a 37mm Velo Orange fender. There are too many variables in actual tire widths and diameters to know, for sure, what'll work.

Based on my experience with Specialized tires, some of their stuff ends up as much as 5mm wider than the sidewall sizing. Of course, we've crossed that bridge, in the past.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #22418
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Generally, 10mm wider fender than actual tire width is what you're looking for. The problem isn't with stationary clearance, but, once you're moving the fenders will shudder/shake and intermittently touch the shoulders of the tread. I've run a 40mm Nokian 240 under a 45mm SKS fender. They do touch, upon bumps, but, nothing major. However, a 28mm Pasella won't work under a 37mm Velo Orange fender. There are too many variables in actual tire widths and diameters to know, for sure, what'll work.

Based on my experience with Specialized tires, some of their stuff ends up as much as 5mm wider than the sidewall sizing. Of course, we've crossed that bridge, in the past.
fwiw, these are the plastic Planet Bike fenders. I am mounting the fenders about 6-10mm away from the tires, my concern was mostly with how much stuff comes off the sides of the tires vs off the middle. I guess I'll find out when I try them.

edit: and... turns out, they are 45mm wide fenders and with a bit of finessing fit just fine. phew. my primary motivation for fenders is the spring Strawberry Music Festival, when its often quite muddy and mucky. last year, I found myself having to ride really really slowly to keep the mud from coating me. hopefully with these fenders, I'm good to go.

pierce screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 01:40 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #22419
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Speaking of mud and such...

Rode 3hrs of off- and on- gravel roads round Culpeper, VA. Unlike the roads I ride around here that are 'gravel' but have been smooshed flat, theirs have gravel as in 'your bike is moving all about under you.'

Lots of fun despite the feeling in my legs from about hour 2 on.

In other words: if you're riding the gravel roads around my house, road tires are fine. If you're riding around Culpeper, bring the knobbies.

Oh, and 50-ish after Crimmus?!

M
Old 12-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #22420
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
edit: and... turns out, they are 45mm wide fenders and with a bit of finessing fit just fine. phew. my primary motivation for fenders is the spring Strawberry Music Festival, when its often quite muddy and mucky. last year, I found myself having to ride really really slowly to keep the mud from coating me. hopefully with these fenders, I'm good to go.
I've had exceedingly bad luck with my 45mm fenders over 35c tires in sticky mud. They pack up right quick. To the point you have to remove the wheel to fully clean them out.

I thought about maybe doing some kind of tire scraper before it can carry too much mud into the fender, but just decided to not run fenders in such conditions.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #22421
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
I put 45mm PB Hardcore fenders on my GF's 'cross. They work perfect with a 37mm (measured) tire.

However, as "Askel" knows, no fender is worth a shit in mud. We've been on some really nasty stuff, in the rain, and ended up having to ride the grass along the ditch to keep going. The worst part of that is the grass usually grows in clumps, which makes it like riding railroad ties; brutal.

And, most debris is off the center of the tread.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #22422
Lewy
Minus the LC8

I learnt today that next time I do an almost 140km mtb ride with 1900 metres of climbing, I am not riding 80kms the day before.

Garmin went flat with about 20kms to go.

I was doing it tough at the 50km mark but the boys kept me going.

A few photos off my phone.

Our first rest stop

We had to climb all the way up there.

Tainjarra Falls lookout

This was my saviour after 90kms
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #22423
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

At least someone's smart enough to run bar-ends!

...and don't tell me what's on that sammich. I don't wanna know. Y'all Aussies eat some STRANGE stuff!

M
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #22424
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post

Niner rules. Like the R.I.P 9! I've got a Jet 9.
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #22425
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Its a W.F.O so its even cooler.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: