Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #22471
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
Got an early Christmas present from my dad.

Is that so you don't have to stop to pee?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #22472
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
These guys:

The Hub

They are really good. I have been to the west bank and the store off of lake. The one off of lake has the biggest used selection.
Thanks for that. I need to refill a growler tomorrow at Harriet, I'll stop in.

Also, this Jamis Aurora looks about perfect, if it was half the price.

http://thehubbikecoop.org/products-p.../jamis-aurora/

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #22473
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Is that so you don't have to stop to pee?
It's all about ergos.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #22474
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You must know this guy. I'm just waiting for the subscription to run out.

Truth is, I stay up late at night reading the Rivendell and Velo Orange catalogs and other crap like that. Remember, I'm a gravel road racer with form fitting woolen knickers. I've blown right on through that "cycling lifestyle" into some kind of insane dorkville.

But it's just way too easy to make fun of a bunch of guys who take themselves and their possessions so seriously.

Speaking of insane dorkville- did our first group Pugsley ride last night. Hoo boy. Kinda helped that the only guys who came were kind of crazy any way. 2 hours into it, it's 9:00 at night and we're on some insane ATV track. We've already done two sketchy river crossings, so no way we're turning back. Could only press on and hope it popped out someplace easier to ride.

My core is going to get one hell of a workout if I keep ditchbanging this sucker through ruts.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #22475
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Also, this Jamis Aurora looks about perfect, if it was half the price.
I do like the Jamis bikes I've ridden. If you end up with a bike with cantilever brakes, it's worth learning how to adjust them yourself. Set up properly, they're more than adequate for stopping that kind of bike, albeit maybe not as good as discs or caliper brakes.

Setup improperly, they're scary worthless death levers that will make you swear the things off forever and ever.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #22476
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
I chime into this thread every now and then and thought I would show you guys this profile. This is a gravel road called Matson Hill Road. It leads up to my favorite mtn bike park and was also the beginning climb of a race I attended last summer. (First race at 48 ) The grade in a few places is 20% when climbing.

Four of us are now getting ready for a race in Arkansas called "Syllamo's Revenge" in May. 50 miles, all single track out of Mountain View. Lots of steep climbs and tough riding I hear. I am stoked for this.

Last Saturday we went to climb Matson Hill Road over and over. Up the hill, turn around, ride down the gravel road, and do it again. I made it 6 times. On my 7th attempt I had to go to granny and decided that was it. I could have made it but decided not to wear myself out completely. I did not stop and rest for these "laps". I am going back today to do it again. My goal soon is to see 12 times and 25 miles....today my goal is 8. Anyway I am really not a race head, weight weenie, or anything extreme but really having fun with this. This mtn biking is addictive. I'll be 50 next year so it's nice to have some goals...and some gravel to ride when the trails are too wet.

Here's the profile from DeLorme....recorded from my 60Cx

On Hiatus

ThumperDRZ screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 06:29 AM
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #22477
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I do like the Jamis bikes I've ridden. If you end up with a bike with cantilever brakes, it's worth learning how to adjust them yourself. Set up properly, they're more than adequate for stopping that kind of bike, albeit maybe not as good as discs or caliper brakes.

Setup improperly, they're scary worthless death levers that will make you swear the things off forever and ever.
ditch em and replace with mini-v brakes. Mo bettah

Its already 50+ out. My legs are toast from yesterday. While I doubt I'm going 4 hours again today, I HAVE to get out and ride!

M
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #22478
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
Last Saturday we went to climb Matson Hill Road over and over. Up the hill, turn around, ride down the gravel road, and do it again. I made it 6 times. On my 7th attempt I had to go to granny and decided that was it. I could have made it but decided not to wear myself out completely. I did not stop and rest for these "laps". I am going back today to do it again. My goal soon is to see 12 times and 25 miles....today my goal is 8. Anyway I am really not a race head, weight weenie, or anything extreme but really having fun with this. This mtn biking is addictive. I'll be 50 next year so it's nice to have some goals...and some gravel to ride when the trails are too wet.
Hill repeats suck. Good onya for doing em!

M
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #22479
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hill repeats suck. Good onya for doing em!

M
Yeah - I didn't think so last weekend but I'm sure I'll think that after today......

On Hiatus
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #22480
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
Got an early Christmas present from my dad.

Oh, that's nice.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #22481
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
But it's just way too easy to make fun of a bunch of guys who take themselves and their possessions so seriously.
That's seems like about all the roadies-nobody wants to just ride. Maybe that's why I get along with the gravel and MTB guys the best.

Quote:
This is a gravel road called Matson Hill Road. It leads up to my favorite mtn bike park and was also the beginning climb of a race I attended last summer.
What's the park, out there (St Charles?)? My buddy has been wanting to hit trails around the Ballwin area, per some of his acquaintances. I don't know. We're 2-1/2hrs away and timing has never worked out. And, I hate to drive all that way to find the trails aren't as good as what we've got an hour away.

Quote:
ditch em and replace with mini-v brakes. Mo bettah
Oh, c'mon. Not this again. Ride my Shorty Ultimates and you'll think different. The first time I laid into the front, in the driveway, I nearly endoed. They're that good; not the cantis of yesteryear.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #22482
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Oh, c'mon. Not this again. Ride my Shorty Ultimates and you'll think different. The first time I laid into the front, in the driveway, I nearly endoed. They're that good; not the cantis of yesteryear.
I'll give ya the Ultimates. My Euro-X-es aren't like that and I'm pretty good with a wrench.

Kool Stop salmon pads do help...

For those that aren't blessed with 20 years of experience, mini-v brakes are much easier to get right.

M
Old 12-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #22483
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Quote:
What's the park, out there (St Charles?)? My buddy has been wanting to hit trails around the Ballwin area, per some of his acquaintances. I don't know. We're 2-1/2hrs away and timing has never worked out. And, I hate to drive all that way to find the trails aren't as good as what we've got an hour away.
Yep - and the drive is definitely worth it. Right now the trails are closed due to the rain and freeze / thaw. If it gets below freezing for a while you should check it out.

For a good ride you can start at the Mound in St. Charles off of Hiway 94. Ride Lost Valley...head down Katy Trail to ride Matson Hill Park....then the Katy to Klondike Park which has some advanced sections. This is called the Trifecta.

Here's some good info from our local club who gets most of the credit for trail building and maintenance in the area. I've been out on some workdays with them. It's hard but satisfying work

http://www.gorctrails.com/trails/index.asp

Click on the trail on the left and you can get a description and maps.

The Ballwin area trails....Castlewood, Greensfelder, and especially the Chubb Trail are also a blast. Chubb has lots of rocks and is challenging.

On Hiatus
Old 12-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #22484
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For those that aren't blessed with 20 years of experience, mini-v brakes are much easier to get right.
I just don't understand why cantis, with orbital pad mounts, are so flippin' hard to get the pad to stay angled, when tightening them.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #22485
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep - and the drive is definitely worth it. Right now the trails are closed due to the rain and freeze / thaw. If it gets below freezing for a while you should check it out.

For a good ride you can start at the Mound in St. Charles off of Hiway 94. Ride Lost Valley...head down Katy Trail to ride Matson Hill Park....then the Katy to Klondike Park which has some advanced sections. This is called the Trifecta.

Here's some good info from our local club who gets most of the credit for trail building and maintenance in the area. I've been out on some workdays with them. It's hard but satisfying work

http://www.gorctrails.com/trails/index.asp

Click on the trail on the left and you can get a description and maps.

The Ballwin area trails....Castlewood, Greensfelder, and especially the Chubb Trail are also a blast. Chubb has lots of rocks and is challenging.
Thanks, for all that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: